Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 03:58 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood

From my experience MINIs do not have an "oil cooler" stock..

This is a real oil cooler for an R56/R56LCI:

http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-oil-...y-sneed4speed/

The car has a heat exchanger in the oil system that helps with heat, but that is not something you would swap out.

#4 in the diagram is the stock heat exchanger.

EDIT:

I called Renntech to discuss the oi cooler mentioning. He said they recommend one to all higher hp (220WHP+) R56's since it is well known the R56 pistons crack and fail from heat commonly. Oil cooler helps reduce that problem.

My experience is 109K miles, 60k tuned and I have good compression per my recent test. So its all in how you maintain and drive your car. If you plan to track the car or drive hard on runs constantly its not a bad thing to get, but stock we do not have one.

RennTech will do custom dyno tuning as well for those who are local and willing to pay for dyno time. I would do this if I was anyone near them. Dyno tunes gain 20-30WHP more on a R56 than the canned tunes do. After talking with them for a good 30 mins. on the phone I would choose them out of the options I have seen provided thus far (since RMW isnt an option). Plus RennTech is known for having beastly tunes for the AMGs.

Cheers.
RennTech and brentuning are both the best. NM is good too can't hate on them, even if they aren't as good with automatics. ETG/Smokey's is my last resort if MINI dynamics doesn't come out with a OBDII.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:42 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question is... Do MINI owners need an extra oil cooler?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:49 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
You ETG'ists have proven nothing except that you are wrong.....

Old 03-29-2013, 04:51 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
If later I need an oil cooler... I will buy one.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Wrong about what? I'm just curious why you are kind of attacking them? I'm personally not getting their tune but if they seem happy with it then why not just let them discuss with others about their car issues or whatever they may discuss.

We know your pro-NM tune so we understand why your sticking to them but for some of us, we choose not to have a tune with issues on automatics such as surging. How come other guys in N14's automatics got to have high numbers but they had no surging issues? I am doing my best to find alternatives for us. It's easy for the manual guys to get a tune obviously. I learned my lesson to never buy another automatic unless I buy a mini van lol.

As for an oil cooler, I wouldn't even buy one unless I was tracking the car hard. If you do it once or twice you'll be fine without it. Maybe Theta can touch on it since he's working with RennTech.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood

I called Renntech to discuss the oi cooler mentioning. He said they recommend one to all higher hp (220WHP+) R56's since it is well known the R56 pistons crack and fail from heat commonly. Oil cooler helps reduce that problem.

My experience is 109K miles, 60k tuned and I have good compression per my recent test. So its all in how you maintain and drive your car. If you plan to track the car or drive hard on runs constantly its not a bad thing to get, but stock we do not have one.

RennTech will do custom dyno tuning as well for those who are local and willing to pay for dyno time. I would do this if I was anyone near them. Dyno tunes gain 20-30WHP more on a R56 than the canned tunes do. After talking with them for a good 30 mins. on the phone I would choose them out of the options I have seen provided thus far (since RMW isnt an option). Plus RennTech is known for having beastly tunes for the AMGs.

Cheers.
Did they say anything about doing a remote dyno tune? There is a RennTech distributor here in San Diego with a dyne. I'm wondering if they wouldn't be able to make it happen.

Also, I've often thought an oil cooler would be a good investment no matter what. According to my ScanGauge II, the oil temps run ~220 F. That is pretty f'ing hot, kids! I do think that things to reduce heat (FMIC; oil cooler; meth kit; White Lightening coating on exhaust manifold and down pipe; unobstructed grilles) will greatly reduce the odds of engine failure and prolong engine life.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:46 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hujan
Did they say anything about doing a remote dyno tune? There is a RennTech distributor here in San Diego with a dyne. I'm wondering if they wouldn't be able to make it happen.

Also, I've often thought an oil cooler would be a good investment no matter what. According to my ScanGauge II, the oil temps run ~220 F. That is pretty f'ing hot, kids! I do think that things to reduce heat (FMIC; oil cooler; meth kit; White Lightening coating on exhaust manifold and down pipe; unobstructed grilles) will greatly reduce the odds of engine failure and prolong engine life.
when did the scan gauge add oil temp? last time i talked to them they told me no oil temp on minis since there is no oil temp sensor onboard, only oil pressure

are you reading water temp? 220F water temp is normal for most recent vehicles

scott

Old 03-29-2013, 10:50 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I got the oil temp too on my scanguageII. I guess you didn't send your scanguageII to that guy in Arizona or something like that lol. I forgot his address but there is a thread on here where you can send it in for the latest software.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:53 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
I got the oil temp too on my scanguageII. I guess you didn't send your scanguageII to that guy in Arizona or something like that lol. I forgot his address but there is a thread on here where you can send it in for the latest software.

i passed on buying it when i was told no oil temp

i bought prosport 45mm (1.75") gauges instead

oil temp
oil pressure
water temp
boost
volts

scott

Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Shame on them who told you that Scott. I pretty much have volts, oil temp, engine temp, and water temp showing.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Shame on them who told you that Scott. I pretty much have volts, oil temp, engine temp, and water temp showing.
i called direct to linear logic in az

talked to tech support because sales did not know

was told no oil temp because the mini DOE NOT HAVE AN OIL TEMP SENSOR only coolant temp

scott

edit

the ultra gauge people told me the same thing, no oil temp because the mini has no oil temp sender

Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
i called direct to linear logic in az

talked to tech support because sales did not know

was told no oil temp because the mini DOE NOT HAVE AN OIL TEMP SENSOR only coolant temp

scott
WOW...idiots. Sometimes I swear if someone doesn't know something, ask. I'm sorry they gave you false information Scott.

Old 03-30-2013, 12:01 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Reading around BrenTuning's site, they do seem knowledgeable. I sent them an e-mail. If they check out and MINI Dynamics doesn't, I may be giving Bren my biz. Fingers crossed.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RennTech In San Diego

Are you referring to HG Motorsports?

http://www.hgmotorsports.com/index.php/tuning

I've had no contact with them but their website seems to touch on a lot of good points. Have you spoken with them at all?

Old 03-30-2013, 07:25 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Reading around BrenTuning's site, they do seem knowledgeable. I sent them an e-mail. If they check out and MINI Dynamics doesn't, I may be giving Bren my biz. Fingers crossed.
So no RennTech for you...even if you can get a dyno version in your backyard ? Where would you go for BrenTuning ?

Old 03-30-2013, 08:29 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
Are you referring to HG Motorsports?

http://www.hgmotorsports.com/index.php/tuning

I've had no contact with them but their website seems to touch on a lot of good points. Have you spoken with them at all?
I am referring to HG Motorsports. I've been there twice and swapped e-mails with one of their reps, Blake Warren, many times. He's a very good guy and they seem like a good group all around.

Are you in San Diego?

Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
So no RennTech for you...even if you can get a dyno version in your backyard ? Where would you go for BrenTuning ?
Not necessarily. I am liking what I'm hearing for both. The only thing that I don't like about RennTech is they push the power from the tune up the powerband on an automatic so that you don't get the tune until 4,000 RPM. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that idea. I freely admit I might not be understanding how that feels, but it seems to me that for a daily driver that spends little time above 4,000 RPM, this would effectively be like having no tune at all. Couple that with the ~$1,000 price tag for the tune and it doesn't exactly whet the appetite.

If Bren can get me good power and torque lower in the power band and for less than RennTech, it would be hard to pass up. On the other hand, if RennTech can dyno tune to tailor it to my car so I can get more out of my mods and maybe find a way to squeeze power into the lower range of the power band, I'm game.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
BrenTuning I believe is in Maryland.

I asked him if I could do a dyno but he said it could take all day to work on the ECU since mine is an automatic, and that the next day he could do a dyno, so I don't know if I can waste two days, possibly three. It would take like 7 hours or something to get there from my house.

I like BrenTuning and Smokey's Dyno so far. Hujan, I say we wait to see what MINI Dynamics has to offer.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:45 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
BrenTuning I believe is in Maryland.

I asked him if I could do a dyno but he said it could take all day to work on the ECU since mine is an automatic, and that the next day he could do a dyno, so I don't know if I can waste two days, possibly three. It would take like 7 hours or something to get there from my house.

I like BrenTuning and Smokey's Dyno so far. Hujan, I say we wait to see what MINI Dynamics has to offer.
I think Bren is in Massachusetts. (MA = Massachusetts; MD = Maryland)

I agree re: Mini Dynamics. I'll give them some time to see what shakes out. I would love to have a handheld and tune (or de-tune) at home. But if they start pushing the product announcement back, I'll probably lose patience.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:50 AM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
I have a renntech tuned automatic and I don't have to wait til 4000 rpms to feel the power. The peak torque is around 2500 rpms. My car was dyno tuned at their facility so that may be a difference. My dyno chart is in my gallery if you want to see it. I rarely even hit 4000 rpms in normal driving.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Wow 194whp and 241wtq? And on an automatic? I wonder what they can do on a manual! RennTech might take my cash... Waiting on some manual stage 2 NM dynos to compare. Also waiting for what MINI Dynamics has in the works.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:02 AM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Btw, what are your other mods, DKIKK77?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:08 AM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
Btw, what are your other mods, DKIKK77?
At the time of the tune just a k&n panel filter and nm cold side pipe. In the next month or so Ill install the fmic, downpipe, and exhaust and have it retuned. They said to bring it back after the fmic and/or downpipe so I might as well do it all at the same time.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
I am referring to HG Motorsports. I've been there twice and swapped e-mails with one of their reps, Blake Warren, many times. He's a very good guy and they seem like a good group all around.

Are you in San Diego?

I'm in Escondido actually. Their website gave me the impression that they knew their sh*t and were very professional.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
What A Mini Wants

Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
Wow 194whp and 241wtq? And on an automatic? I wonder what they can do on a manual! RennTech might take my cash... Waiting on some manual stage 2 NM dynos to compare. Also waiting for what MINI Dynamics has in the works.

I’m looking for (as I think most of us are) to find a reasonably priced option that includes:

Dyno adjusted software re-maps of boost pressure, ignition timing, air fuel ratios, throttle response and rev limiter (manual trans) based on current mods on the car.
All done close enough (3 hour drive) to be able to get hands on customer service as needed.

Add to the checklist:

• Factory maps changed not redirects.
• RSA encryption and checksum blocks intact.
• Original file and P-Chip file saved.
• Only one performance file required for different octane, software will adjust.
• Tune file utilizes factory flash updates which normally comes with 'fixes'
• Completely reversible, zero physical modifications
• Retains all of the factory safety protocols
• Free lifetime upgrades and free re-flash back to stock programming
• 100 percent compatible with all diagnostic software
(most of the above are direct from NM)

Of course put all that into our own personal OBDII device that we can use to try various maps and ultimately put back to original stock as needed (dealer visits & smog tests).

Pricewise somewhere between the NM $500 mark and the $900 we expect to be under with our own OBDII access.

So there you have it; how close can we get?
And Oh, I forgot to mention...it should be available within the next week or so.

So hop to it Easter Bunny ...by the way you may need to call in the Tooth Fairy and any Leprechauns still lurking around, but definitely not Santa and the Elves (we can’t wait that long)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs