Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 11:06 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LMAO that's perfect!!!

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-30-2013, 12:37 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper
I'm in Escondido actually. Their website gave me the impression that they knew their sh*t and were very professional.
Nice! I'm in Poway. I'll have to keep an eye out for your coupe. (Shouldn't be easy to miss!)

And for you and anyone else in San Diego: HG do know their s*** and are super professional. If you call or e-mail Blake, tell him I sent you.

If RennTech can do some sort of remote dyno tuning, perhaps we could setup a dyno day at HG or something for you, me, and some others?

Old 03-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DKIKK77
I have a renntech tuned automatic and I don't have to wait til 4000 rpms to feel the power. The peak torque is around 2500 rpms. My car was dyno tuned at their facility so that may be a difference. My dyno chart is in my gallery if you want to see it. I rarely even hit 4000 rpms in normal driving.
DUDE!!! "I'll have what he's having!" Your dyno chart is glorious. EXACTLY what I'm looking for: A torque curve that peaks at 2,500 RPM and descends fairly gradually to redline. And with nothing more than a drop-in filter? Great googly moogly! I might just have to drive cross-country to Florida or see if HG can do a remote dyno tune.

How does it feel? Any surging or weird shifting issues? Lots of wheel spin? You must be a torque monster around town.

Last edited by Hujan; 03-30-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:09 PM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
DUDE!!! "I'll have what he's having!" Your dyno chart is glorious. EXACTLY what I'm looking for: A torque curve that peaks at 2,500 RPM and descends fairly gradually to redline. And with nothing more than a drop-in filter? Great googly moogly! I might just have to drive cross-country to Florida or see if HG can do a remote dyno tune.

How does it feel? Any surging or weird shifting issues? Lots of wheel spin? You must be a torque monster around town.

It is definitely more fun to drive now. No shifting issues or surging. There is a good amount of torque steer though. Fighting the car to keep it staight is the biggest problem. After I finish the rest of the upgrades Ill have it retuned and dynoed again. Hopefully within the next month or two.

Old 03-30-2013, 04:47 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I just got excited! RennTech might be #2 then! That dyno chart was awesome for us auto guys!

Old 03-30-2013, 10:30 PM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
totally of topic..but what would the best method for finding a used 2011 clubman s JCW aero front bumper and side skirts be? i have no need for the entire kit because i love my rear bumper. ive tried the marketplace on here but no luck. im pretty new to all this forum/thread stuff. any suggestions??

Old 03-31-2013, 08:34 AM
joyride305
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood
From my experience MINIs do not have an "oil cooler" stock..

This is a real oil cooler for an R56/R56LCI:

http://www.sneed4speed.com/mini-oil-...y-sneed4speed/

The car has a heat exchanger in the oil system that helps with heat, but that is not something you would swap out.

#4 in the diagram is the stock heat exchanger.

EDIT:

I called Renntech to discuss the oi cooler mentioning. He said they recommend one to all higher hp (220WHP+) R56's since it is well known the R56 pistons crack and fail from heat commonly. Oil cooler helps reduce that problem.

My experience is 109K miles, 60k tuned and I have good compression per my recent test. So its all in how you maintain and drive your car. If you plan to track the car or drive hard on runs constantly its not a bad thing to get, but stock we do not have one.

RennTech will do custom dyno tuning as well for those who are local and willing to pay for dyno time. I would do this if I was anyone near them. Dyno tunes gain 20-30WHP more on a R56 than the canned tunes do. After talking with them for a good 30 mins. on the phone I would choose them out of the options I have seen provided thus far (since RMW isnt an option). Plus RennTech is known for having beastly tunes for the AMGs.

Cheers.
Yea thats what the tech told me too. It makes sense and if you are concerned with longevity I dont see why not, but it doesnt seem as necessary as the IC (although he made it seem that way), I'll have to think about it. Maybe if you dyno tune and start making over 220?

This is what the dyno tune looks like to me.
*NOBODY QUOTE ME ON THIS*

$1,000 tune (approx)
$150 dyno time per hour
$xxx for the actual dyno tuning?

I'm still not clear if they are charging extra for dyno tuning on top of the flash but I'm assuming they are. The dyno time per hour is based off what he told me on the phone. If i'm wrong someone correct me please. Renn should get shop guy on the forums!

A big part of me wants to say eff it and go with NM for a nice $500 since I dont track my car and probably wont ever need more power on the street. But then the other part of me says screw it I live 1 hour away.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:37 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by joyride305

Yea thats what the tech told me too. It makes sense and if you are concerned with longevity I dont see why not, but it doesnt seem as necessary as the IC (although he made it seem that way), I'll have to think about it. Maybe if you dyno tune and start making over 220?

$1,000 tune (approx)
$150 dyno time per hour

I'm still not clear if they are charging extra for dyno tuning on top of the flash but I'm assuming they are. The dyno time per hour is based off what he told me on the phone. If i'm wrong someone correct me please. Renn should get shop guy on the forums!

A big part of me wants to say eff it and go with NM for a nice $500 since I dont track my car and probably wont ever need more power on the street. But then the other part of me says screw it I live 1 hour away.
I think you should wait til mid April, see what MINI dynamics has to offer since RennTech's price is kinda wild, but seems worth it compared to anyone else. In my part, I'm waiting to see if they're coming out with a OBDII tool if not, especially comes with crappy power, I will send my ECU to Renn. Brentuning is interesting too, but I want a dyno to get proof after of what I got.

Choices get difficult I swear!

Old 03-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by joyride305

$1,000 tune (approx)
$150 dyno time per hour

My experience is this:

You pay for the tune.

Then you pay for the dyno time.

There is generally no extra tune money involved. Some places might be different.

I paid $500 for my tune and $110 (1 hour of dyno time).

Last edited by Jaremy Cheetwood; 03-31-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
RYBREMINI
1st Gear
Slightly off topic, but has anyone here been able to break 210 wheel hp with an n18?

Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Now I'm annoyed. I spoke to Detroit Tuned and they said Jan might come out in August to tune the cars, trust me I'd give him my services if he could tune my N18 and the only issue I'm having is that, how will I get a hold of him, if something goes wrong?

I just hope BrenTuning, RMW, and MINI dynamics makes a stunning development for us, so I could choose! I just don't have the time to go to Florida to get RennTech's tune:-/.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
That's BrenTuning's dyno chart for a 2007 MCS from completely stock to their tune. So imagine what he could do with mods done and their tune. Just another option for others.

Attached Thumbnails The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs-brentuning-mcs-.jpg  
Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
That's BrenTuning's dyno chart for a 2007 MCS from completely stock to their tune. So imagine what he could do with mods done and their tune. Just another option for others.
Those appear more as BHP numbers. A stock 07 MCS is 172BHP factory.

So if that is the case. 22BHP is really only like 18WHP maybe less. 10-14% drivetrain loss.

22BHP doesnt seem like much.

Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
Now I'm annoyed. I spoke to Detroit Tuned and they said Jan might come out in August to tune the cars, trust me I'd give him my services if he could tune my N18 and the only issue I'm having is that, how will I get a hold of him, if something goes wrong?

I just hope BrenTuning, RMW, and MINI dynamics makes a stunning development for us, so I could choose! I just don't have the time to go to Florida to get RennTech's tune:-/.
I am curious why you do not think that Jan cant tune the N18. Jan has said multiple times he will tune an N18 all day long.

He told another user that he WOULDNT tune HIS N18 specifically because another tuner had touched the ECU and possibly damaged the car if the car had hit the claimed PSI numbers on the other tune. Jan did not wish to be a part of this because he feels something is going to go wrong with that in future and does not want to be held responsible when it would not have been his fault in the first place.

With that being said, Jan can and will tune and N18. Jan is available by phone and email and even facebook. He also has his own forums, etc.

I do not see you having issues with Jan as he has been great to work with and his tune has kept my car strong and alive.

Not to say they arent others out there, but very few have the experience he does. I am biased obviously because I am tuned by him. I would just recommend everyone do their own research and not rely on this forum filled with mixed and bad information.

Old 04-01-2013, 06:50 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
I agree with Jaremy. I have used Jan before on my R53 and had great results. He will indeed tune the N18, but in my opinion, someone like Jan would prefer to see how each car reacts to a tune rather then a canned bench tune but that is my opinion. I had about 8-10 different remote tunes on my R53 with Jan as I added mods and he was always accommodating. If you are looking for Jan to chime in on NAM, you will be waiting a while. Check out his forum.

Old 04-01-2013, 07:15 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Well the word from Detroit Tuned is that in August they plan to have him at their place so they can dyno tune MINIs. They need 10 or more people and to put a deposit down for insurance to make sure he actually comes.

So if this is the case, and MINI Dynamics isn't good, then RMW can have my services, upon that he can tune it and have no issues with it. I can't be out of a car, if something messes up. But from hearing others experiences, obviously he's good. So I just hope to have my car tuned this summer, even if it means waiting til August.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
For those of you recommending Jan, what is the best way to get ahold of him? Phone calls never worked. We traded a couple of e-mails, but eventually he would stop responding.

Also, is there anything definitive showing he can tune post-February N18s?

Old 04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
For those of you recommending Jan, what is the best way to get ahold of him? Phone calls never worked. We traded a couple of e-mails, but eventually he would stop responding.

I've heard this over and over about dealing with him and is the reason I steered clear.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:52 PM
Bakerbrdz
Banned
Old 04-01-2013, 10:03 PM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
I've heard this over and over about dealing with him and is the reason I steered clear.
For those of you who do not know Jan outside of what you hear. Jan spends most of his time tuning Porsche cup cars, for national race teams. Jan also spends time doing R&D on new S/C kits for the R53s.

He gets calls all the time from people who just want to ask questions or just call to waste his time and never get a tune. I can understand at times it is hard to get a hold of him, he hosts a forum for this reason, allowing him to answer all questions when he gets time to as well as providing you with a knowledge base to go look over. There are entire threads about tuning the N18 over there.

Again, Email works just be serious and direct. He isnt looking to sit and answer every question you have, he doesnt have time for it. People can see it as bad customer service but he has a lot of his plate and is one person.

If you are serious about it, you will get ahold of him. My take a few tries, but I have nothing but good things about him to say. He has helped me save money on parts and get me the right parts.

Again, I encourage everyone to do whatever they feel is needed to get their tunes and use whoever you like. I am just trying to put some things into perspective for people.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:56 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Again I'd pay $750 with the dyno time Detroit Tuned told me. I don't care as long as the car runs strong and I can get a hold of him if ever needed for anything else. RMW was my very first choice til he didn't come last year. Now if he doesn't show up, I'm gonna have some tough choices.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:30 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
The BIG Kid In Us

Well the word from Detroit Tuned is that in August they plan to have him at their place so they can dyno tune MINIs. They need 10 or more people and to put a deposit down for insurance to make sure he actually comes.

So if this is the case, and MINI Dynamics isn't good, then RMW can have my services, upon that he can tune it and have no issues with it. I can't be out of a car, if something messes up. But from hearing others experiences, obviously he's good. So I just hope to have my car tuned this summer, even if it means waiting til August.
Glad to hear you can wait until August...because you've really been chomping at the bit (like most of us).

Isn't that how it always goes, we get it in our mind that we want (need) something and then we just have to have it NOW.
Good to see we're all just kids at heart, except our toys just got WAY more expensive

Old 04-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood
For those of you who do not know Jan outside of what you hear. Jan spends most of his time tuning Porsche cup cars, for national race teams. Jan also spends time doing R&D on new S/C kits for the R53s.

He gets calls all the time from people who just want to ask questions or just call to waste his time and never get a tune. I can understand at times it is hard to get a hold of him, he hosts a forum for this reason, allowing him to answer all questions when he gets time to as well as providing you with a knowledge base to go look over. There are entire threads about tuning the N18 over there.

Again, Email works just be serious and direct. He isnt looking to sit and answer every question you have, he doesnt have time for it. People can see it as bad customer service but he has a lot of his plate and is one person.

If you are serious about it, you will get ahold of him. My take a few tries, but I have nothing but good things about him to say. He has helped me save money on parts and get me the right parts.

Again, I encourage everyone to do whatever they feel is needed to get their tunes and use whoever you like. I am just trying to put some things into perspective for people.
I appreciate the comments and the perspective. I never got the impression that Jan was being disrespectful; it was always apparent that he was just very busy.

Having said that, it did make me nervous about getting a tune from him. If something went wrong with the tune or needed to be adjusted, it would suck to have to call and e-mail repeatedly before getting in touch with him.

If it's just a matter of Jan being too busy, I wonder if it wouldn't make sense for him to pay someone to go through his e-mails. The person could work remotely for a couple hours a day. Wouldn't cost much. Could probably be paid for with a tune or two a month; tunes which this person's attentiveness might help bring in that Jan would have otherwise missed out on.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
RennTech Remote Dyno Tune?

For anyone in SoCal who might be interested in a RennTech tune, I am working with HG Motorsports in San Diego, a RennTech distributor, to see about the possibility of doing a remote dyno tune. They are working with RennTech to see if they can make this happen and are going to get back to me soon. (I talked to Lenny at RennTech (the BMW/MINI tuner at RennTech) and he seemed open to the idea.)

If there are others in SoCal that are interested in a dyno tune with RennTech, let me know and perhaps we can set up a dyno day at HG Motorsports.

(For anyone in LA or OC, HG Motorsports is right off of I-5 in northern San Diego County, so it wouldn't be a terrible trip south.)

Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM
jomama
4th Gear
For anyone in SoCal who might be interested in a RennTech tune, I am working with HG Motorsports in San Diego, a RennTech distributor, to see about the possibility of doing a remote dyno tune. They are working with RennTech to see if they can make this happen and are going to get back to me soon. (I talked to Lenny at RennTech (the BMW/MINI tuner at RennTech) and he seemed open to the idea.)

If there are others in SoCal that are interested in a dyno tune with RennTech, let me know and perhaps we can set up a dyno day at HG Motorsports.

(For anyone in LA or OC, HG Motorsports is right off of I-5 in northern San Diego County, so it wouldn't be a terrible trip south.)
sweet! i'd seriously consider this if you can make it happen! i'm in irvine, so maybe 45-55 min drive from here.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs