Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 AM
DRT NaSTY
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Why not just dyno the car and post up a graph?
#1- $$$
#2- I don't have a prior dyno run, so I have no numbers to compare the results to..

Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 PM
diegomini
Neutral
The only tune I found for the N18 was from PAW motorsports in miami, (reviewed by another member here) you have to send them the ecu, and the tune needs new spark plug and fmic.
regards
diego

Old 05-30-2013, 07:49 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by diegomini
The only tune I found for the N18 was from PAW motorsports in miami, (reviewed by another member here) you have to send them the ecu, and the tune needs new spark plug and fmic.
regards
diego
Wow... I guess my NM tune is nonexistent... Luckily I have the colder spark plugs and FMIC so I'm 2/3rds there!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by diegomini
regards
diego
I don't know if you read the entire thread or not but I believe that was mentioned.

Also, RennTech is available but a little more than PAW's tune. Both give you spark plugs.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
gods!!! You guys still talking about this Jags guy?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Who's talking about Jags?

Old 05-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Sorry, hit wrong quote... I'm old, give me a break.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:50 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DRT NaSTY
With jags tune, my boost gauge was reading 20psi......
There it was!!! Seriously, would not let that man touch my MINI! Of course there are still people who want to load their MINIs up with cheap no-name eBay crap....

Old 06-01-2013, 01:54 PM
m54b25
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
Lenny

that is the tune i want! peak torque at 4,500 with a nice flat curve!

what mods are needed? can i send the ECU or does this require an in-person dyno tune?

i have a tyrolsport FMIC on order, a dry aFe drop in filter (pending a DOS setup for the CMS All4), a hotside resonator delete and a milltek DP-back exhaust (no resonator, no second cat)

DP is stock, recirc valve is stock

scott
Hi Scott,

Thanks to THETA CMS JCW. Here's a dyno tuned done on 2013 R60 CMS JCW 4ALL in Florida hot humid day (this update give 145whp/liter... makes it a bit more over the previous tuned 2013 R56 GP N18). Relative stock with just added HiPower ign plugs (CMS JCW stock intercooler seems to do a good job =)

Also, the N18 it's a good overall engine over the previous N14 when done right.

Attached Files

Last edited by m54b25; 06-01-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:33 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by m54b25
Hi Scott,

Thanks to THETA CMS JCW. Here's a dyno tuned done on 2013 R60 CMS JCW 4ALL in Florida hot humid day (this update give 145whp/liter... makes it a bit more over the previous tuned 2013 R56 GP N18). Relative stock with just added HiPower ign plugs (CMS JCW stock intercooler seems to do a good job =)

Also, the N18 it's a good overall engine over the previous N14 when done right.
Very impressive, Lenny. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss, that's roughly 268 HP and 266 TQ at the crank in less than ideal conditions on a stock car.

Would be interesting to see what you can squeeze out with a 2.5" high-flow exhaust, a downpipe, and a larger intercooler. I'm guessing ~240 whp/wtq, maybe ~250 whp/wtq with meth.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:43 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Very impressive, Lenny. Assuming a 15% drivetrain loss, that's roughly 268 HP and 266 TQ at the crank in less than ideal conditions on a stock car.

Would be interesting to see what you can squeeze out with a 2.5" high-flow exhaust, a downpipe, and a larger intercooler. I'm guessing ~240 whp/wtq, maybe ~250 whp/wtq with meth.
if this were available at hg motorsports, I'd be all over it. I just don't feel like begging and pleading with a shop to get the capabilities to do the tune.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:45 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Damn, I wish I lived in Florida now lol.
These numbers probably wouldn't be possible unless the car was dyno tuned vs sending the ECU correct?

A bit sad that none of the Mini vendors on here are capable of tuning these things. At least that's what I'm seeing.

I have almost everything done aside from the tune, and hooking up the meth.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:54 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
if this were available at hg motorsports, I'd be all over it. I just don't feel like begging and pleading with a shop to get the capabilities to do the tune.
I hear you. But I don't get the impression HG is looking for people to grovel and plead. I think they are legitimately trying to gauge interest.

Mods/tuning is a bit of a chicken-or-egg problem. There isn't a lot of money being spent on Countryman parts, for example. But is that because Countryman owners aren't inclined to mod their cars or because there are precious few mods to buy?

A company runs a big risk in offering products where there may not be a market for them. I can't blame a shop for wanting to gauge interest before they spend a lot of money on software if there is a real risk it might be put to use. I'll tell you this: If the cars could be OBDII tuned, HG would probably have started offering MINI tunes like yesterday. The need to bench flash is a huge PITA especially when remote tuning. They would essentially have to leave the car on the dyno all day, which would mean they wouldn't be able to tune anything else for long stretches. They could probably tune a half dozen other cars in the time they'd need to do one MINI.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jomama

I think HG was trying to tie in with RennTech and this was a PAW tune...which may or may not be the same or close.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:23 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RoyalCooper

I think HG was trying to tie in with RennTech and this was a PAW tune...which may or may not be the same or close.
There's isn't a big difference between them anyway, is there?

Old 06-03-2013, 05:13 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Anyone that's in Michigan or the Midwest interested in a tune, PM for information about a gathering Detroit Tuned is hosting for a tuning party this summer!

Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
How is the dealer updating the software on the post 2/12 N18's? Are they pulling the ECU's?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:56 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
I am guessing DT will have the same issue with the autos?

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear

I hear you. But I don't get the impression HG is looking for people to grovel and plead. I think they are legitimately trying to gauge interest.

Mods/tuning is a bit of a chicken-or-egg problem. There isn't a lot of money being spent on Countryman parts, for example. But is that because Countryman owners aren't inclined to mod their cars or because there are precious few mods to buy?

A company runs a big risk in offering products where there may not be a market for them. I can't blame a shop for wanting to gauge interest before they spend a lot of money on software if there is a real risk it might be put to use. I'll tell you this: If the cars could be OBDII tuned, HG would probably have started offering MINI tunes like yesterday. The need to bench flash is a huge PITA especially when remote tuning. They would essentially have to leave the car on the dyno all day, which would mean they wouldn't be able to tune anything else for long stretches. They could probably tune a half dozen other cars in the time they'd need to do one MINI.

Because there are precious few mods to buy! Pretty much did every mod out there and not having anything else to do is pissing me off.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:02 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear

Too few mods to buy!! Pretty much done every mod available that I wanted to do that is available and it pisses me off that there is not a big focus on the CM. In my opinion, most CM owners have bumped up from a previous mini due to space constraints due to an increase in family size. At least this was my case. Does not mean we still won't want to spend some money on it... Just my $0.02.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:05 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Because there are precious few mods to buy! Pretty much did every mod out there and not having anything else to do is pissing me off.
Maybe it is time to start doing true custom mods, I know a good CNC guy

Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I am guessing DT will have the same issue with the autos?
RMW is doing the tune, so I would venture, no.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:29 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
I know I reached out to jan with the question about the surging and be thought it might have been due to the car running lean... Jan remotes tuned my R53 over 10-15 times as I added mods. Back in the good old days when files could be emailed and flashed to the ECU.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yeah Chad said they(RMW) did some N18s at the dragon. He said my car will take about 12-15 runs to get it precisely right.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:46 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
What a PITA! ECU in, out, in, out...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs