Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:08 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS

Thanks. As of today we have two working N18 prototypes. One that can be installed in 10 seconds and other that takes more like 10 minutes to install. Both are invisible to the DME once removed making them "warranty/lease friendly". To start we'd be shooting for the low hanging fruit. The easy gains with minimal risk and minimal cost. What I refer to as a Stage1. The tuning is currently dialed in well enough to study the approaches on the dyno so we can quantify whether it's reasonable to move forward to customer alpha testing with either. But I'm cautiously optimistic things will work out nicely. Will know more next week. Fortunately the sensors and logic used are very similar to other BMW models we tune meaning no waiting for connectors or PCBs.

To start the Stage1 N18 tuning system would be simple (similar to an N54 JB+) but we also have a relatively advanced Stage2+ CAN based JB4 system with features like in dash gauge hijacking (showing boost in dash, for example), on the fly map switching, 1st & 2nd gear boost limiting, etc, that we could adapt down the road if demand justified it. The CAN based system is able to datalog timing, air/fuel, knock count, etc, all through the factory DME and even self tune itself to optimize performance and safety as you race around. I won't waste my time talking about the JB4 much as that would be a long way out for N18 owners I will say its one of the most popular BMW N54/N55 tunes in use today.
Terry, my brother in-law had the JB on his 335 and spoke very highly of it. Interested to see where this goes. Are you aware of the issues some of us with auto tranny's are having after being tuned? Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the issues some of us were having.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2013, 06:59 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Never touching a piggyback style tune. Never. RennTech has given me my quote, awaiting for my grandfathers car since he's leaving in Romania the first week of July. I work almost every day so I can't be out of commission.
I guess we'll see...maybe even a before & after dyno. Just have seen in the past 90 days or so 4 or 5: this is the one I'm getting comments, all changes from the previous one.

So someone who doesn't read all 50+ pages of this thread and sees you're a 6th gear rated 1,600+ poster might take each one of those: this is the one I'm getting comments as a major glowing endorsement (if they happen to just see that page).

I know I did...until I kept reading and reading. Good thing, since that was your pick of ETG and we know how that turned out for another member.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:52 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InMyMini

I guess we'll see...maybe even a before & after dyno. Just have seen in the past 90 days or so 4 or 5: this is the one I'm getting comments, all changes from the previous one.

So someone who doesn't read all 50+ pages of this thread and sees you're a 6th gear rated 1,600+ poster might take each one of those: this is the one I'm getting comments as a major glowing endorsement (if they happen to just see that page).

I know I did...until I kept reading and reading. Good thing, since that was your pick of ETG and we know how that turned out for another member.
Yeah well at least I looked for other tuners. That's why you dig deeper. When this thread started, lets see, ETG was named. So I looked into all of those named since noone had an idea. Then I did my hw deeper. If you actually read it, I said ETG is very skeptical because Jags tune was under a different name and a liar in his so-called software. But I guess you didn't read all 50 pages and the other thread on the search function.

Brentuning is good but he wants a flash tool. Bet you didn't read that either.

Evolve can't tune my N18.

NM can't tune auto's as of right now but they'll be coming out with automatic tune this summer.

RennTech and PAW are both reliable and good bench tunes(RennTech produces a bit more power).

RMW can tune an N18 but it'll take him forever so he's waiting on a flash tool.

...is that better for you? Stop antagonizing me. I started searching for a tune in late March and after talking to each person from each company, RennTech is the best tune for me. Glad I sorted that out and I'm excited to have it on my car. Also I'm not doing a before dyno, it's MY car, so I'm just doing an after dyno. Everyone else can get their own tune.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
I can't wait for a flash tool, if it ever comes out.....

Old 06-23-2013, 08:08 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Yeah well at least I looked for other tuners. That's why you dig deeper. When this thread started, lets see, ETG was named. So I looked into all of those named since noone had an idea. Then I did my hw deeper. If you actually read it, I said ETG is very skeptical because Jags tune was under a different name and a liar in his so-called software. But I guess you didn't read all 50 pages and the other thread on the search function.

Brentuning is good but he wants a flash tool. Bet you didn't read that either.

Evolve can't tune my N18.

NM can't tune auto's as of right now but they'll be coming out with automatic tune this summer.

RennTech and PAW are both reliable and good bench tunes(RennTech produces a bit more power).

RMW can tune an N18 but it'll take him forever so he's waiting on a flash tool.

...is that better for you? Stop antagonizing me. I started searching for a tune in late March and after talking to each person from each company, RennTech is the best tune for me. Glad I sorted that out and I'm excited to have it on my car. Also I'm not doing a before dyno, it's MY car, so I'm just doing an after dyno. Everyone else can get their own tune.

So is that to say that the dyno/tune party you set up at Detroit Tuned and you were trying to get people to join you in is history?

I thought that was scheduled for Sept 14/15.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Wow, stop being a hater.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:35 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Can't everyone just get along...

Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

So is that to say that the dyno/tune party you set up at Detroit Tuned and you were trying to get people to join you in is history?

I thought that was scheduled for Sept 14/15.
It is but Jan decided to not do my N18 because it'll take the whole day so it's not fair for the others to wait on me or anyone else. I told them I would pay extra, but Jan didn't want to. It's understandable.

If you know anyone that has a N14 or R53, tell them to call DT. Slots are still open.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:49 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Can't everyone just get along...
We are getting along, just a friendly conversation;-). Everyone will have disagreements on many things.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Terry, my brother in-law had the JB on his 335 and spoke very highly of it. Interested to see where this goes. Are you aware of the issues some of us with auto tranny's are having after being tuned? Just wanted to make sure you were aware of the issues some of us were having.

Thanks!
I read it was an issue here but have not yet done any testing with the automatic.I'd guess the issue is specific to OBDII flashing and that we'll have no problems with them. I won't know for sure until I borrow one locally to try though.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Thanks. I currently have the NM tune with my auto and they are supposedly coming out with a fix this summer.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
It is but Jan decided to not do my N18 because it'll take the whole day so it's not fair for the others to wait on me or anyone else. I told them I would pay extra, but Jan didn't want to. It's understandable.

If you know anyone that has a N14 or R53, tell them to call DT. Slots are still open.
That's cool. I did wonder what happened. I get it now. Before I just thought it was weird that you'd set it all up and then not do it.

Also I know you do your homework, making phone calls, emails and probably reading stuff here and all over the web. And taken as a whole this is all very helpful.

I was only ribbing you with the flip comment because you've been so definitive when it comes to what tune you're doing then next thing you know you jump to the next tune out there.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Cambion
1st Gear
Also I'm not doing a before dyno, it's MY car, so I'm just doing an after dyno. Everyone else can get their own tune.
I'm curious as to why. If you're going to the trouble to get a tune wouldn't you want to know exactly what you got for your time/effort/money? You're mailing them your ECU, right? Is it just a matter of not wanting to expend the time/money to go do a dyno run before sending it off and then again when it comes back? (I suppose I could understand that but don't think it's the choice I'd make.)

Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

That's cool. I did wonder what happened. I get it now. Before I just thought it was weird that you'd set it all up and then not do it.

Also I know you do your homework, making phone calls, emails and probably reading stuff here and all over the web. And taken as a whole this is all very helpful.

I was only ribbing you with the flip comment because you've been so definitive when it comes to what tune you're doing then next thing you know you jump to the next tune out there.
Believe me, Theta was right to just go with RennTech. I wanted ETG till I searched the truth on Jags. Then NM but he said it'll be later this summer the tune will be available. I'd rather just go with Renntech since they won't have surging issues. Plus there's a two year warranty which is a major plus.

I know I've been so I decisive but the quote I received from RennTech and service I received was exceptional compared to NM and PAW.

Also, if you have any friends with a N14 or R53 let them know about DT tuning party.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:23 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cambion

I'm curious as to why. If you're going to the trouble to get a tune wouldn't you want to know exactly what you got for your time/effort/money? You're mailing them your ECU, right? Is it just a matter of not wanting to expend the time/money to go do a dyno run before sending it off and then again when it comes back? (I suppose I could understand that but don't think it's the choice I'd make.)
I just don't care. It's pretty obvious what the numbers are. If I were to get a dyno tune then yeah I'd care more. That's why I said others can do their own dyno before and after results. Yes, ECU is being sent in(a whopping $1,250 total).

Old 06-23-2013, 01:36 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
I just don't care. It's pretty obvious what the numbers are. If I were to get a dyno tune then yeah I'd care more. That's why I said others can do their own dyno before and after results. Yes, ECU is being sent in(a whopping $1,250 total).

How did it get to $1,250? I thought they were $945. Also did they give you a list of needed mods or mods that actually effect their tune?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Whoa

Old 06-23-2013, 02:44 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

How did it get to $1,250? I thought they were $945. Also did they give you a list of needed mods or mods that actually effect their tune?
$945 tune, $64 their shipping back, $58 shipped there, and like $160 for spark plugs.

My mods were fine, I'm not adding a DP cause of me moving in the winter(Cali). Otherwise I would have. I just got a FMIC, Hot side pipe, K&N panel filter, and a 2.5" custom exhaust with 2nd delete. They said that's good.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:53 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear

$945 tune, $64 their shipping back, $58 shipped there, and like $160 for spark plugs.

My mods were fine, I'm not adding a DP cause of me moving in the winter(Cali). Otherwise I would have. I just got a FMIC, Hot side pipe, K&N panel filter, and a 2.5" custom exhaust with 2nd delete. They said that's good.
Do the DP,I did and I'm in Cali....

Cops only look at Hondas lmao

But seriously, you're set for that tune.
Will most likely be my pick as well.

Last edited by NewCooperFanatic; 06-23-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic

We'll see as of right now not looking to get crazy. I just want a fun reliable r56. I see so many issues on those N14s lol.

Agreed on the Honda's.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic

unfortunately, they smog all cars. and personally, i would hate to drive around with the CEL on.

Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama

unfortunately, they smog all cars. and personally, i would hate to drive around with the CEL on.
Yeah that's what I keep hearing. I heard they don't do it to cars that are new for five years, is that a lie?

Old 06-23-2013, 02:59 PM
jomama
4th Gear
My mods were fine, I'm not adding a DP cause of me moving in the winter(Cali). Otherwise I would have.
what part of cali you moving to? if it's socal, i'd love to see how your car runs when you move out here, assuming no one else gets a renntech tune by then. i'm not in a rush to tune my mini, but maybe i'll have that itch come winter.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama

They do smog, but there are ways around it....you'd be surprised how common that actually is around here.

As for the cel, I just with with the Akra-R....pricey but that sucker works.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs