Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 03:03 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Yeah that's what I keep hearing. I heard they don't do it to cars that are new for five years, is that a lie?
according to CA dmv:
"Starting January 1, 2005, owners of vehicles six or less model years old will pay an annual smog abatement fee for the first six registration years instead of being required to provide a biennial smog certification."

so we're looking pretty good.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:47 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Terry, is there any possibility of porting your prototype N18 piggyback to the N14 platform? I assume the N14 is slightly less complicated than the N18 so supporting both engines would not be much extra work on your part. There are still a lot of N14 people out there who want a piece of the pie.

Just a heads up for anyone skeptical of this news. BMS stuff is top notch. Their "piggybacks" have earned a strong following in the N54,N55 and N20 world. This is not a "unichip" or any of that Mini Dynamics ********. BMS backs up their tunes with dyno numbers and their price point is usually very competitive.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:55 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jomama

what part of cali you moving to? if it's socal, i'd love to see how your car runs when you move out here, assuming no one else gets a renntech tune by then. i'm not in a rush to tune my mini, but maybe i'll have that itch come winter.
San Fran area. But we can talk more when that time arrives. I'd be glad to let you drive my car.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by borderwave2
Terry, is there any possibility of porting your prototype N18 piggyback to the N14 platform? I assume the N14 is slightly less complicated than the N18 so supporting both engines would not be much extra work on your part. There are still a lot of N14 people out there who want a piece of the pie.

Just a heads up for anyone skeptical of this news. BMS stuff is top notch. Their "piggybacks" have earned a strong following in the N54,N55 and N20 world. This is not a "unichip" or any of that Mini Dynamics ********. BMS backs up their tunes with dyno numbers and their price point is usually very competitive.
+1

Earlier adopter of the JB when I had my E92. Always a huge fan of Terry's especially when the Vishnu vs JB wars always brought out the flaming oh whose was better than the other. Anyways, since I've left the BMW side and jumped shipped to MINI, I always wondered if JB was going to tap into the MINI side of things, hopefully the N14 guys can be part of this development because I loved my JB4 (when I had it) and it was always a blast.

You know I'd donate my car if you need it Terry! Long and Ivan @ LTMW would easily vouch for my MINI as a test subject

Old 06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
+1 for the JB

Old 06-23-2013, 06:26 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In for hope of an N14 version of the JB.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
$945 tune, $64 their shipping back, $58 shipped there, and like $160 for spark plugs.

My mods were fine, I'm not adding a DP cause of me moving in the winter(Cali). Otherwise I would have. I just got a FMIC, Hot side pipe, K&N panel filter, and a 2.5" custom exhaust with 2nd delete. They said that's good.
This actually goes to everyone, but come on! There has to be a way around Cali's laws..... There always is. Not suggesting anyone break the law.... Just saying I can't fathom everyone follows it. Just saying....

Last edited by pyrrhusmj; 06-24-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Thanks. As of today we have two working N18 prototypes. One that can be installed in 10 seconds and other that takes more like 10 minutes to install. Both are invisible to the DME once removed making them "warranty/lease friendly". To start we'd be shooting for the low hanging fruit. The easy gains with minimal risk and minimal cost. What I refer to as a Stage1. The tuning is currently dialed in well enough to study the approaches on the dyno so we can quantify whether it's reasonable to move forward to customer alpha testing with either. But I'm cautiously optimistic things will work out nicely. Will know more next week. Fortunately the sensors and logic used are very similar to other BMW models we tune meaning no waiting for connectors or PCBs.

To start the Stage1 N18 tuning system would be simple (similar to an N54 JB+) but we also have a relatively advanced Stage2+ CAN based JB4 system with features like in dash gauge hijacking (showing boost in dash, for example), on the fly map switching, 1st & 2nd gear boost limiting, etc, that we could adapt down the road if demand justified it. The CAN based system is able to datalog timing, air/fuel, knock count, etc, all through the factory DME and even self tune itself to optimize performance and safety as you race around. I won't waste my time talking about the JB4 much as that would be a long way out for N18 owners I will say its one of the most popular BMW N54/N55 tunes in use today.
Terry,

I am assuming that the way your system works, the ECU changes in mid-2012 may not be an issue?

Old 06-23-2013, 07:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj

This actually goes to everyone, but common. There has to be someone or a way around Cali's laws..... There always is. Not suggesting anyone break the law.... Just saying I can't fathom everyone follows it. Just saying....
I'm sure I could but I don't like CELs. I have OCD haha.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:26 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by borderwave2

I'd need to get my hands on an N14 for testing. I believe the basic architecture is the same so we should be able to work something out. If the N18 goes well we'll certainly look in to it. How does the N14 stack up stock and with a bench flash?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:29 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
+1

You know I'd donate my car if you need it Terry! Long and Ivan @ LTMW would easily vouch for my MINI as a test subject
Sweet! If things go well next week we'll have to trade cars for a few days. Here is an N18 datalog I did tonight, 3rd gear 2-6.5k. Logging is simple so far so the only useful field for most will be boost.

Attached Thumbnails The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs-mini_map6.jpg  
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Terry,

I am assuming that the way your system works, the ECU changes in mid-2012 may not be an issue?
The car I'm working on currently is a 4/2013 build. Generally speaking DME (ECU) versions tend to get more complex making tuning the later builds more difficult. So assuming that holds true here I don't expect any issues with previous DME versions. As always is the case though until I look at it I can only speculate.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Sweet! If things go well next week we'll have to trade cars for a few days. Here is an N18 datalog I did tonight, 3rd gear 2-6.5k. Logging is simple so far so the only useful field for most will be boost.
Nice. My N14 on Stg3 Cobb was 221whp.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
jomama
4th Gear
San Fran area. But we can talk more when that time arrives. I'd be glad to let you drive my car.
man, SF is a trek from OC! i go up there every so often, but not regular by any stretch of the imagination. with renntech, nm and the prospects of a jb tune, things are certainly looking up!
i'm awaiting delivery of a 2014 Q5 with the 3.0T ("T" for supercharged...go figure). that car is currently being assembled and should arrive at the end of july. guys that recently went stage 2 (with a pulley) on 2013 models are gaining ~130hp! it's basically the same engine that's in the S4, S5, A6 and A7, so naturally there's lots of support. 0-60 in 5 flat and quarter mile right around the 13 sec range for a 2 ton SUV...i'll take it! stage 2 should run about $1800 for software and pulley. only need to add the pulley install labor if you don't do it yourself.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 PM
jomama
4th Gear
There has to be someone or a way around Cali's laws..... There always is. Not suggesting anyone break the law.... Just saying I can't fathom everyone follows it. Just saying....
you can swap back to the stock cat when you go in for smog on the 6th year anniversary. that's not a terrible option, but also not ideal. even if the cat CAN pass emissions, it'll fail the visual. a mechanic that smogged one of my cars recently said they have serial number on DOT approved parts. if they don't see that number on your cat, it doesn't matter if your car is blowing out bubbles of pure oxygen mixed with lavendar, they will fail you.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
too bad these aren't speed density like the N54/55. Would make lives much easier

Old 06-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
I am in Cali and I have a Catless DP.

I pay a "guy" $150 for my smog and no worries they dont even need my car to do so.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:40 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jaremy Cheetwood
I am in Cali and I have a Catless DP.

I pay a "guy" $150 for my smog and no worries they dont even need my car to do so.
if you're in socal, i might need to get to know your guy one day.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
if you're in socal, i might need to get to know your guy one day.
Seal Beach

Old 06-24-2013, 09:53 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Seal Beach
sweet! so i can grab a b'fast burrito at nick's and get my car smogged at the same time?!? =) oh wait, you said the car doesn't even have to be there!
btw, you ever meet up with other mini owners in the area? i would love to ride in a tuned mini one day just to see what i'm missing out on...altho that could be quite a dangerous proposition.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:55 AM
Jaremy Cheetwood
3rd Gear
sweet! so i can grab a b'fast burrito at nick's and get my car smogged at the same time?!? =) oh wait, you said the car doesn't even have to be there!
btw, you ever meet up with other mini owners in the area? i would love to ride in a tuned mini one day just to see what i'm missing out on...altho that could be quite a dangerous proposition.
Nicks love those burritos.

There is a lot of local activity as since SCMM is a big active group. I generally dont attend their meets due to differences in my style and their own.

But yeah I am sure we could work something out and let you ride in my car haha.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:08 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Nicks love those burritos.

There is a lot of local activity as since SCMM is a big active group. I generally dont attend their meets due to differences in my style and their own.

But yeah I am sure we could work something out and let you ride in my car haha.
sounds like we need to do a seal beach "cars and b'fast burrito" get together one of these days! there always seems to be some car show on main st whenever i'm out that way.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:23 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by bmx045
too bad these aren't speed density like the N54/55. Would make lives much easier
The N54 is speed density but the N55 & N20 engines both use MAF sensors. The MAF does complicate things a bit but nothing we can't handle. But that is the reason the existing N18 piggybacks don't actually work right.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Nice. My N14 on Stg3 Cobb was 221whp.
Impressive! So what happened with Cobb and the platform? Is there a cutoff date where you can no longer use their system?

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Impressive! So what happened with Cobb and the platform? Is there a cutoff date where you can no longer use their system?
The Cobb Access Port reprograms the ECU through the OBD2 port. It only works on N14 engines, they tried to get it to work on N18 engines but changes to the N18 ECU made that difficult or impossible to do.

Dave

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs