Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 03:21 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Has anyone sent their ecu out to get tuned yet? As soon as I get the other mods on the car I will be shipping it out.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM
11mcsaz
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We are waiting on you good sir to blaze the trail!

Like you, I need to install my IC. I also need to install my methanol kit ... then the tune!

Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Lol ok waiting for my dp to come in and be installed.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:01 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like everyone is waiting for something to be installed before getting a tune. It is a really hard sell for me to send in my ECU, across country no less, on my daily driver right now.

Still debating sending it in though. First one to tune and report findings gets a virtual high five.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Raymazing
4th Gear
For those of you who were worried about the cat-less files... You can use spark plug anti-foulers. We had good results on a PAW tuned Countryman using that method...

Old 07-19-2012, 01:31 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Raymazing
For those of you who were worried about the cat-less files... You can use spark plug anti-foulers. We had good results on a PAW tuned Countryman using that method...
Good to know. I am thinking of a Akrapovic or Milltek catted DP. I'm hoping that between a tune, maybe a anti-fouler, and perhaps some new spark plugs (intended to reduce emissions, improve MPG), I can keep that CEL off.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:29 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Hujan
Good to know. I am thinking of a Akrapovic or Milltek catted DP. I'm hoping that between a tune, maybe a anti-fouler, and perhaps some new spark plugs (intended to reduce emissions, improve MPG), I can keep that CEL off.
Do we know that the Millitek produces a CEL? It's 200 cell, and probably a fancy metallic cat. Their stuff usually doesn't trip up emissions systems, in the VW scene at any rate.

--Matt

Old 07-19-2012, 08:33 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by mattkosem
Do we know that the Millitek produces a CEL? It's 200 cell, and probably a fancy metallic cat. Their stuff usually doesn't trip up emissions systems, in the VW scene at any rate.

--Matt
Good question. I may have read something on NAM about it, but I'll admit that I am mostly assuming since it seems the ECUs on the newer cars are extremely hypersensitive to even minute changes at the o2 sensor.

I would be in hog heaven if a tune to make the car run a bit leaner and maybe some new spark plugs could keep the Milltek DP from throwing a CEL without having to tinker with code cancelers or the o2 sensor.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Hyland33
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cgaubuchon
Seems like everyone is waiting for something to be installed before getting a tune. It is a really hard sell for me to send in my ECU, across country no less, on my daily driver right now.

Still debating sending it in though. First one to tune and report findings gets a virtual high five.
BrenTuning in Worcester can tune your car. Won't have any down time

Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Hyland33
BrenTuning in Worcester can tune your car. Won't have any down time
My tune is in the works with him. Reached out to him about it already. Still debating it though.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:25 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Got some more info from Bren via Facebook. His reply:

1. Those parts are fine. (Based on parts in my sig)
2. Most 10+ are done on our bench, but it's worth a shot to see if that software version is OBD2 first.
3. Retunes require one hour of labor, no flash cost.
4. $695
5. 35+whp and 50+wtq over stock.

#2 is promising but doubtful, saving up a bit to get a tune from him now.

Updated main post with info from Bren.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:27 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cgaubuchon
Got some more info from Bren via Facebook. His reply:

1. Those parts are fine. (Based on parts in my sig)
2. Most 10+ are done on our bench, but it's worth a shot to see if that software version is OBD2 first.
3. Retunes require one hour of labor, no flash cost.
4. $695
5. 35+whp and 50+wtq over stock.

#2 is promising but doubtful, saving up a bit to get a tune from him now.

Updated main post with info from Bren.

I think you just got me excited.

I am definitely gonna get my tune by him now! Thanks for the update! I was strongly considering NM but now I am going with this!

So if I need to have it reflashed for any specific reason, he'll do it for FREE besides me paying shipping?

Thank you for your future answer!

Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Where is the Brentuning tune done? I went on the site and it referred me to one of their affiliates. When I emailed they had no idea what a tune from bren was.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:08 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Where is the Brentuning tune done? I went on the site and it referred me to one of their affiliates. When I emailed they had no idea what a tune from bren was.
Mainly in the Central MA area although he may also travel for dyno days. I reached out to Bren via their Facebook page and they knew exactly what I was talking about. Not sure if you can ship them your ECU since it is custom tunes, not pre-canned.

Contact page has more info though. http://www.brentuning.com/contact.html

Old 07-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Hyland33
2nd Gear
Maybe once he tunes a basically stock car he can just use that as a base tune for ones that are shipped to him. We need to get him in this thread haha

Old 07-23-2012, 04:08 PM
automan21
5th Gear
The reply I got from Brentuning just now:

"ECU would need to be on a bench load

However, I would not by law be able to cel to pass NY emissions with the downpipes unfortunately."

So still the ecu needs to be sent out and they cannot tune to remove the cel from a catless dp.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:44 PM
automan21
5th Gear
So far, Bren is going to get my money.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:47 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
The reply I got from Brentuning just now:

"ECU would need to be on a bench load

However, I would not by law be able to cel to pass NY emissions with the downpipes unfortunately."

So still the ecu needs to be sent out and they cannot tune to remove the cel from a catless dp.
Never said he did OBD flashing, just mentioned it was worth a shot first. Bench is the only solution still at the moment, and for the foreseeable future. Apparently NY also has the emission laws of CA so he wont do a CEL removal.

So far, Bren is going to get my money.
Agreed, he is only about 45 mins from me so pretty excited to get the money and time to get it done now.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Being from south Chicagoland, it seems my only viable option for tuning my 2012 MCS is to take it over to Mercedes Benz of Orland Park and have them do the RennTech tune in-house. I can't have my daily driver out of commission for even one day let alone have it down for 3-4 it would take to ship the ECU out and about.

That being said, that price point is a bit harsh, but I trust RennTech know what they're doing, they've been in the game a long time and have done some really wicked cars.

My plan is to install my intake (which is on the way), get an exhaust, get an intercooler, do all the other things I want to do first. Hopefully by the time I get all that jazz done, an OBD style flash tuner will be available, if not, RennTech will have a new customer.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:53 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
Being from south Chicagoland, it seems my only viable option for tuning my 2012 MCS is to take it over to Mercedes Benz of Orland Park and have them do the RennTech tune in-house. I can't have my daily driver out of commission for even one day let alone have it down for 3-4 it would take to ship the ECU out and about.

That being said, that price point is a bit harsh, but I trust RennTech know what they're doing, they've been in the game a long time and have done some really wicked cars.

My plan is to install my intake (which is on the way), get an exhaust, get an intercooler, do all the other things I want to do first. Hopefully by the time I get all that jazz done, an OBD style flash tuner will be available, if not, RennTech will have a new customer.
i have been emailing back-and-forth with renntech

they say all the tuning is only done by them in florida, the dealers remove the ecu and ship it then reinstall it

they say the ecu will be shipped the same day it is received, but that still looks like a 3 day turnaround to me

scott

Old 08-02-2012, 05:12 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bmwr606
i have been emailing back-and-forth with renntech

they say all the tuning is only done by them in florida, the dealers remove the ecu and ship it then reinstall it

they say the ecu will be shipped the same day it is received, but that still looks like a 3 day turnaround to me

scott
Well that's dumb IMO, might as well pull the ECU myself and save trying to find a ride home from and back to the dealership if that's the case.

Knowing that, RennTech is no longer an option. I'm not going to down my car for 3 days minimum for a tune.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the people who crack these ECU's and get them to be OBD flash ready, but cmon, this motor has been on the road for nearly 2 whole years. I wonder what exactly is the hold-up here?

I know the standard answer is "There's not as much demand" or "BMW made it really hard to crack." We found a way to get to the damn moon in less than 10 years with the processing power of a TI-82.

I'm not saying that it isn't hard, but if it IS that hard, just do it and raise the price to the end user. I'd gladly pay a ton more money to be able to flash and not have the car be down for half a week.

Just my .02

Old 08-05-2012, 09:28 AM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
Well that's dumb IMO, might as well pull the ECU myself and save trying to find a ride home from and back to the dealership if that's the case.

Knowing that, RennTech is no longer an option. I'm not going to down my car for 3 days minimum for a tune.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the people who crack these ECU's and get them to be OBD flash ready, but cmon, this motor has been on the road for nearly 2 whole years. I wonder what exactly is the hold-up here?

I know the standard answer is "There's not as much demand" or "BMW made it really hard to crack." We found a way to get to the damn moon in less than 10 years with the processing power of a TI-82.

I'm not saying that it isn't hard, but if it IS that hard, just do it and raise the price to the end user. I'd gladly pay a ton more money to be able to flash and not have the car be down for half a week.

Just my .02

That is what everyone says though. Then the tune comes out, costs a few grand and everyone complains. I think the largest issue now is the tuners who do have platforms for flashing are not being very transparent about their progress, if at all.

Not bashing you at all as I would gladly pay ~2k for a flashable tune that is reliable but would rather wait a bit longer that is less than half that cost.

End of the day, an ECU tune is an aftermarket thing. If it is something you can't live without then maybe MINI was not a good buy for you in hindsight. I love my MINI to death, the way it is. Would a ECU tune be amazing? Sure. But until that happens, just need to sit back, research, and relax. They will come.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 AM
automan21
5th Gear
So can we just ship the ecu to renn? Does it really have to be removed and ok'ed with a Renntech dealer/affiliate? Didnt get much details from renn other than the ecu has to be shipped to them. Hopefully next month I can send mine in.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
So can we just ship the ecu to renn? Does it really have to be removed and ok'ed with a Renntech dealer/affiliate? Didnt get much details from renn other than the ecu has to be shipped to them. Hopefully next month I can send mine in.
Im pretty certain you can, just more work form you of course.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Tommy Thompson
1st Gear
Has any one with a 2011 MCAa done a NM reflash?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs