Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 04:15 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by minimechusa
Nice! Again congrats on the car.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
Thanks. We had a 2008 N14 years ago, back when Alta was selling the Unichip garbage and before Cobb entered the market. And I really enjoyed driving the car around. We decided against launching a product for it at that time but the new N18 motor has be really excited. And who knows. Maybe we'll peek at the N14 again once Stage2 w/ CANbus rolls around.

Old 06-28-2013, 04:25 PM
sycd
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Found a nice stripped 2013 hardtop S MT due to arrive in a few days at our local dealer so pulled the trigger on that. We should have our N18 test sled in house in a week or two.
Very cool, awesome to see you take on the N18, can't wait!

Old 06-28-2013, 05:07 PM
TeddyL
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"That is a big question mark at this point. I'll need to log one to see how they are set exactly from the factory and to determine exactly how much is left on the table. But my gut feeling is we'll find they've already given you half the gain we would otherwise be adding. How much boost are you running currently?"

Not sure on boost...havn't dyno'd or data logged etc.. the car is factory bone stock. I had a '10 JCW with the accessport and pretty sure it added the same 30-40 HP&TQ over the base 208 HP.

Last edited by TeddyL; 06-28-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by TeddyL
"That is a big question mark at this point. I'll need to log one to see how they are set exactly from the factory and to determine exactly how much is left on the table. But my gut feeling is we'll find they've already given you half the gain we would otherwise be adding. How much boost are you running currently?"

Not sure on boost...havn't dyno'd or data logged etc.. the car is factory bone stock. I had a '10 JCW with the accessport and pretty sure it added the same 30-40 HP&TQ over the base 208 HP.
Normally the power gains are simply a function of what the turbo, octane, and conditions allow. So if MINI gives you 20hp more from the factory all else being equal then that means you'll just make that much less tuned. But often people with mild flash tunes like the JCW wind up adding another tune on top, replacing it, etc, as they get bored. I'm sure we'll get a JCW on the dyno in the coming weeks and go from there.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Im pretty sure the JCW has a slightly different turbo, lower compression and a better flowing exhaust manifold the N18 JCW should see the same gains overall due to the slightly different parts installed able to handle more than the S

Old 06-29-2013, 07:16 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
But just a theory Id love to see it hooked up!!!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Im pretty sure the JCW has a slightly different turbo, lower compression and a better flowing exhaust manifold the N18 JCW should see the same gains overall due to the slightly different parts installed able to handle more than the S

If the turbo and/or compression ratio is different that would *certainly* change things. I'll have to research that.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:45 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
90% sure compression is 10.5/1 in MCS and 10.1/1 in the JCW. Turbo compressor wheel is bigger but I don't think by much.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
90% sure compression is 10.5/1 in MCS and 10.1/1 in the JCW. Turbo compressor wheel is bigger but I don't think by much.

Did a little reading and it looks like you're correct. A bit lower CR, different turbine, and some other subtle hardware changes. So all else being equal should be more tunable than a normal N18. Will seek one out at some point for testing.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
It doesn't net a whole lot of difference overall. Ask me how I know...

Turbo difference is extremely slight, and the exhaust manifold is the same size as the S. Internals are essentially identical.

A fully built/tuned N18 JCW isn't that far off from an S. We've been working hard on mine for quite a while now.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Roger that. What sort of boost/timing curve are you running on yours currently? You guys in to E85 or meth yet? It's caught fire on the 335 front.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:58 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Quite a few people run aquamist HFS-3/4 systems, just a touch expensive but a good product!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Have you ever typed a huge reply only to have NAM throw an error and wipe everything?

Bottom line, no E85, no meth on the R60 side of things. All4 system can't handle all that much power, so by the time you're running meth, you're going to have much larger issues.

I can't speak for the other models in dev - I'm just the R60 guy.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:42 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Theata what's the weak link on the all4 60?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:43 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Theata what's the weak link on the all4 60?

Theta*

Old 06-29-2013, 03:44 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Theta*.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
All4 system can't handle all that much power

Specifically, look at the shaft... that gives you a good hint.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:45 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
I meant is it the transfer case, a specific point that makes it weak?

Old 06-29-2013, 03:47 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Got it my iPhone is being stupid

Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Looks like a neat system but seems purely as a fail safe instead of a true AWD! GL getting everything worked out!!

Old 06-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
Thanks. We had a 2008 N14 years ago, back when Alta was selling the Unichip garbage and before Cobb entered the market. And I really enjoyed driving the car around. We decided against launching a product for it at that time but the new N18 motor has be really excited. And who knows. Maybe we'll peek at the N14 again once Stage2 w/ CANbus rolls around.
Please please please tackle the N14. There tons of us out there who are looking for a solid, reliable tuning solution.

The Accessport is basically dead, that leaves us with regional guys like WayMotorWorks, NM Engineering, PAW and Renntech. Problem is, not everyone lives near one of these shops. On top of that, they're doing flashes without providing any way to reverse it other than to go back to them, which can be mildly inconvenient.

There is also Evolve, but they are UK based, and while a good production, slightly difficult to deal with because of the location. And, dont get me started on that RaceChip thing.

Therefore, I think you guys could really corner the R56 tuning market as a whole if you could offer a Stage 1 tune for both the N14 and N18. Then expand capabilities from there.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mindspin311

Please please please tackle the N14. There tons of us out there who are looking for a solid, reliable tuning solution.

The Accessport is basically dead, that leaves us with regional guys like WayMotorWorks, NM Engineering, PAW and Renntech. Problem is, not everyone lives near one of these shops. On top of that, they're doing flashes without providing any way to reverse it other than to go back to them, which can be mildly inconvenient.

There is also Evolve, but they are UK based, and while a good production, slightly difficult to deal with because of the location. And, dont get me started on that RaceChip thing.

Therefore, I think you guys could really corner the R56 tuning market as a whole if you could offer a Stage 1 tune for both the N14 and N18. Then expand capabilities from there.

Just my 2 cents.
N18 first then N14 like someone else said. You guys had your fun first, our turn now lol

Old 06-29-2013, 08:51 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Terry, whenever you get the JB tuner with CAN access up and working we would LOVE a Map 5 option similar to the N54/55 JB4. A blend of ~30%-40% e85 sounds reasonable on the stock fuel system. If you could figure out E85 support, that would be amazing.

They are working on the N18 first. N14 is actually simpler to tune for than the N18, so when they finalize the N18 JB4 tuner it should be very easy to transfer most of the engineering into the N14 platform!

Old 06-29-2013, 09:26 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Same thing happened to my Wife a couple of years ago. Time off is nice. Time off without pay, not nice. Sorry to hear that.
Heh, no it is with pay. Just am bad about taking time off. A bit of a workaholic here.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:12 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You're saying the AP is dead, it's not dead, just not being supported directly from Cobb.

If you have an AP, it's totally fine to still run your maps and get on with it through your days. I mean seriously, how often do you have to contact Cobb or Alta for support? Are you or anyone else with an AP that incompetent that you constantly need a new map or further support? I'm not calling you ignorant, but to throw away a tune just because someone isn't supporting it is kinda dumb, imho. I had the AP all last year and I only contacted Cobb once when my update frozen my screen on the AP, other than that, really...you don't need some new update or map.

I'd understand if you went in for service and MINI said you needed up to update your ECU and then your AP didn't work, but for everyday useability, there shouldn't be any issues!

Rant over.

Like many N14 guys we're all hopeful of another tuner to come in and introduce what they can offer, but if I had an AP today, I wouldn't be truly disappointed with my AP because at the end of the day, the 221whp I had was fun and I never once had any issues with it...

Originally Posted by Mindspin311

Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs