Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 07:50 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
massive thread hijack detected.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:47 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when can we expect this tune to be released? What's the ETA? I'm not asking for a specific date but can we expect in a month? Two? Three? More? Just wondering... (and waiting impatiently) lol

Old 07-17-2013, 12:56 PM
jespero
Neutral
DTE Systems

Have anyone seen this? They do both piggyback and ecu tuning on the N18. I have talked to them, and they claim both options work fine.
They are based in Germany.

Piggyback:
http://www.chiptuning.com/eng/shop/d...tml?no_cache=1

Ecu:
http://www.chiptuning.com/eng/shop/d...tml?no_cache=1

Old 07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
iminir56
3rd Gear
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM
Adj5633
Neutral
Old 07-17-2013, 03:36 PM
ludrof11
3rd Gear
Can't wait for this tune to be out. Already set aside the money for it!

Old 07-17-2013, 05:31 PM
pidge1114
Banned

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:42 PM
ludrof11
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Seriously. This is a bigger tease than my wife's sister.
Haha now that would be a hard decision to choose between wife's sister or tuning the mini

Old 07-17-2013, 06:52 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ludrof11
Haha now that would be a hard decision to choose between wife's sister or tuning the mini
In some cases, either option may lead to divorce. Haha

Old 07-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
On the tuning front I know everyone always wants the highest possible power output from the beginning. But we prefer to build our product offerings from the bottom up. In that spirit it's looking likely the first N18 tune we will release will be a JB+ style quick install tuner that adds around 20whp. It will be priced at $279 and will literally install in 30 seconds. This is the sort of product we see as very appealing to the average enthusiast who just wants a little more kick with minimal headache and cost. The type of customer that might have bought the JCW software and been perfectly happy with those power gains but decided not too for whatever reason.

After that we'll be offering the Stage1 which is the more complicated but still relatively easy to install wiring harness based tune. We've decided to design a special circuit board just for the N18 Stage1 so that will delay development a few weeks as we program and debug that. But I expect Stage1 to be a popular tune among the more serious enthusiasts as it will incorporate data logging via a laptop, hopefully some level of E85 support, and ultimately will be upgradable to the Stage2 control box. The Stage1 we expect will be priced at around $379. Down the road the Stage2 upgrade for it should run an additional $150 and will add CAN features, more boost, native in dash gauges, and who knows what.

We have a pretty friendly upgrade policy for those that choose to start with say the JB+ and later want the Stage1 or Stage2 after they are fully developed. You just pay the price difference. So there is never any harm in starting with a lower Stage.

I don't have any specific dates yet for the tuning end of things.

I also made some more progress on the MINI CAN Tool software. This video is using our N18 JB+ quick install tuner. I really need to get a better camera mount. The CT is set to show boost on the speedo, timing on the oil lights (1 light = 1 degree advance), and the dash blinkers are used as a shift light which I've set to 5900rpm. When not racing around the gauges go back to their normal function which makes the gauge hijacking very transparent and enjoyable for daily use. The CT also handles the downpipe code.

I have a hunch that the CT gauge hijack programming will also work on the N14 but I don't have a car here to test it with. If anyone is local to Simi Valley with an N14 (tuned or stock is fine, doesn't matter), I would love for you to swing by. If the CT works you can keep it and help field test it. If not worst case you wasted a few minutes of your time. Email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll update this post after we've found someone.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Thanks Terry. Don't forget about testing out the autos with their unique issues when pushed. Would data logging certain PIDs help at all? I can send you a log if you give me the parameters. I am guessing AFR would be important I am not running a standalone AFR to be able to log AFRs.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:50 PM
iminir56
3rd Gear
Love it. Money has been set aside, enough for stage 2. Cant wait

Old 07-18-2013, 04:13 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
On the tuning front I know everyone always wants the highest possible power output from the beginning. But we prefer to build our product offerings from the bottom up. In that spirit it's looking likely the first N18 tune we will release will be a JB+ style quick install tuner that adds around 20whp. It will be priced at $279 and will literally install in 30 seconds. This is the sort of product we see as very appealing to the average enthusiast who just wants a little more kick with minimal headache and cost. The type of customer that might have bought the JCW software and been perfectly happy with those power gains but decided not too for whatever reason.

After that we'll be offering the Stage1 which is the more complicated but still relatively easy to install wiring harness based tune. We've decided to design a special circuit board just for the N18 Stage1 so that will delay development a few weeks as we program and debug that. But I expect Stage1 to be a popular tune among the more serious enthusiasts as it will incorporate data logging via a laptop, hopefully some level of E85 support, and ultimately will be upgradable to the Stage2 control box. The Stage1 we expect will be priced at around $379. Down the road the Stage2 upgrade for it should run an additional $150 and will add CAN features, more boost, native in dash gauges, and who knows what.

We have a pretty friendly upgrade policy for those that choose to start with say the JB+ and later want the Stage1 or Stage2 after they are fully developed. You just pay the price difference. So there is never any harm in starting with a lower Stage.

I don't have any specific dates yet for the tuning end of things.

I also made some more progress on the MINI CAN Tool software. This video is using our N18 JB+ quick install tuner. I really need to get a better camera mount. The CT is set to show boost on the speedo, timing on the oil lights (1 light = 1 degree advance), and the dash blinkers are used as a shift light which I've set to 5900rpm. When not racing around the gauges go back to their normal function which makes the gauge hijacking very transparent and enjoyable for daily use. The CT also handles the downpipe code.

I have a hunch that the CT gauge hijack programming will also work on the N14 but I don't have a car here to test it with. If anyone is local to Simi Valley with an N14 (tuned or stock is fine, doesn't matter), I would love for you to swing by. If the CT works you can keep it and help field test it. If not worst case you wasted a few minutes of your time. Email me @ terry@burgertuning.com and I'll update this post after we've found someone.

Terry, will this be only for Copper S engines? Or will it also work on JCW factory cars?

Old 07-18-2013, 04:41 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That...

Looks like fun!

Love the idea of repurposing the gauges.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:33 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
This is my favorite part. Very customer friendly!

Old 07-18-2013, 07:14 AM
Adj5633
Neutral
Was just in a convertible and remembered the useless roofometer. Might be another cool boost gauge or what not to highjack down the line for our roofless brethren.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:27 AM
evilc66
2nd Gear
Terry, everything is sounding great so far. I'm liking the fact that you are starting off with +20hp gains with the basic setup, and going up from there. Now, while 20hp will make a noticeable difference, what's the torque gain looking like? I'm sure most of us here would love to know what that is, seeing as torque gains seem to be easier on this motor than HP.

I know it's early days still on the development of this, but we are all chomping at the bit to see some real power data.

PS - Still volunteering for alpha/beta testing up here in the mitten

Old 07-18-2013, 07:42 AM
ludrof11
3rd Gear
Old 07-18-2013, 10:27 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by MyroMini
Terry, will this be only for Copper S engines? Or will it also work on JCW factory cars?
I have not logged/looked at a JCW car but most likely they will need to wait for Stage1 or Stage2. The CT should be compatible though. Although, I've only designed it for the dash type seen in the video at the moment.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by evilc66
Terry, everything is sounding great so far. I'm liking the fact that you are starting off with +20hp gains with the basic setup, and going up from there. Now, while 20hp will make a noticeable difference, what's the torque gain looking like? I'm sure most of us here would love to know what that is, seeing as torque gains seem to be easier on this motor than HP.

I know it's early days still on the development of this, but we are all chomping at the bit to see some real power data.

PS - Still volunteering for alpha/beta testing up here in the mitten
I'll get the quick install version on the dyno early next week for some firm numbers.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:25 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Small question.

Would folks with catless DP's see extra gains over those with stock DP's?

Some tuners don't even take that into account and just cough out a general "one tune for them all" type of deal.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Small question.

Some tuners don't even take that into account and just cough out a general "one tune for them all" type of deal.
along those lines, will gains from a larger fmic be inherent in the tune since IATs will be lower? or is this something that you will need to program into the tune?

Old 07-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Small question.

With the JB+ any gains on the bolt on mods would be from a reduction in back pressure and/or lower intake temperatures, which will allow the DME to from from a higher part of the ignition map than it would otherwise. But not nessessarily more boost. In fact since the N18 is "load based" you'll likely make less boost with an intercooler, but more net power, of course.

We probably won't get in to specific maps for downpipes & intercoolers until at least the Stage1 setup. Maybe not until Stage2. We'll be throwing those parts on our test car when the time is right for better evaluation. As a general rule of thumb I prefer to have the tune auto detect various mods and adjust automatically. We'll see if this is possible with the N18 when we get there.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:37 PM
aleclee
3rd Gear
You're very persuasive, Terry.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As a N14 owner with Alta AP, I am extremely jealous. +1 and subscribed to this thread.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs