Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 02:35 PM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DKIKK77
Thanks. I understand that the difference between the baseline and tuned numbers are what is important but some people are going to see 255 torque and think thats what they have when they buy this. 30 torque over stock wont be anywhere near 255.

For comparison mine baselined at 172 hp and 184 torque on a dynojet. Thats 21 hp and 33 torque less than you showed. I know different dynos at different times will read different but that is a huge difference.
Sport compact car did a dyno comparison with a stock wrx years ago to show dyno variances. On a stock 02 or 03 wrx , the difference was somewhere in the neighborhood of 70whp on a car rated at 230hp. Dynos are good for tuning and measuring increases from one mod to the next same dyno same day.....nothing more. Its useless to compare stock dyno numbers dyno to dyjo.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:59 PM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bdrecksage
Sport compact car did a dyno comparison with a stock wrx years ago to show dyno variances. On a stock 02 or 03 wrx , the difference was somewhere in the neighborhood of 70whp on a car rated at 230hp. Dynos are good for tuning and measuring increases from one mod to the next same dyno same day.....nothing more. Its useless to compare stock dyno numbers dyno to dyjo.
I completely agree but when a reputable vendor comes and puts up dyno numbers some people that don't know better will think that is what their car will have. I guarantee that somebody today said "I'm gonna buy this piggyback that made 255 lbs of torque on a dyno" and that is just not accurate. I saw a guy on another forum say he was going to tune on a Mustang dyno and then run it on a dynojet so he would have a higher number. Ive seen a few stock runs and most end up in the 170s hp and 180s for torque. Running a car on a dyno that reads that high can be misleading to some people. That was my point. Not trying to talk anyone out of this product because it looks like a good option for most people.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
I completely agree but when a reputable vendor comes and puts up dyno numbers some people that don't know better will think that is what their car will have. I guarantee that somebody today said "I'm gonna buy this piggyback that made 255 lbs of torque on a dyno" and that is just not accurate. I saw a guy on another forum say he was going to tune on a Mustang dyno and then run it on a dynojet so he would have a higher number. Ive seen a few stock runs and most end up in the 170s hp and 180s for torque. Running a car on a dyno that reads that high can be misleading to some people. That was my point. Not trying to talk anyone out of this product because it looks like a good option for most people.
Understood...not the vendors responsibilty to educate people on dynos... unfortunately you cant cure stupid or ignorance.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:20 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
So those of us with intake, downpipe, exhaust and larger intercooler can expect to see slightly higher gains?
+1...that would be a good since most of us that have a FMIC, exhaust, and intake.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:53 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RobMuntean

+1...that would be a good since most of us that have a FMIC, exhaust, and intake.
I was wondering where you have been...

Old 07-23-2013, 05:02 PM
pidge1114
Banned
wait, you mean Rob isnt doing Renntech anymore? oh boy...

Old 07-23-2013, 05:26 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Nope. I might as well wait. $1,250-$300=$950 saved.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:41 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by pidge1114
wait, you mean Rob isnt doing Renntech anymore? oh boy...
Hahaha

Old 07-23-2013, 06:14 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Hmmmm...

and there's the flip

Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Yessir! Save my money for some springs:-)

Old 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Yessir! Save my money for some springs:-)
Which 27 versions of springs are you gonna get?

Old 07-23-2013, 06:39 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Number 27;-)

Old 07-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree to a point but to be candid aren't all dyno numbers essentially just marketing tools? 1/4 mile times are where the rubber meets the road when it comes to measuring performance increases.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:42 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Number 27;-)
Yeah but how many times and how soon...I already lost the last pool (I had two weeks)

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by InMyMini

Yeah but how many times and how soon...I already lost the last pool (I had two weeks)
Well when this tuning product comes out officially, give me a year, I promise;-)

Old 07-23-2013, 06:53 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Well when this tuning product comes out officially, give me a year, I promise;-)
The guy who had 30 days is way bummed...he just missed by a day (but he was over):

on 6/22/13

Rut-Ro Rob's gonna flip... (again)

flip...not as in 'flip out' but rather 'change'

over the past 4 or 5 months picking this tune, then that tune, then another...and so on and so on

Never touching a piggyback style tune. Never. RennTech has given me my quote, awaiting for my grandfathers car since he's leaving in Romania the first week of July. I work almost every day so I can't be out of commission.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:58 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

The guy who had 30 days is way bummed...he just missed by a day (but he was over):

on 6/22/13

Yeah, I did my hw on BMS, thanks to my buddy Sam, he owns a 3series and he told me they're the best around. So I did my hw on them on the BMWs forums, great dudes I keep reading. So I take back what I said about the product, I can own up to it. Shoot, takes a real man to own up to mistakes then keep denying them.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:05 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
It's funny how y'all care so much about my choosing of what tune to use haha. But hey I guess I'm an important guy in your lives, what can I say but, thank you:-).

Old 07-23-2013, 07:07 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
It's funny how y'all care so much about my choosing of what tune to use haha. But hey I guess I'm an important guy in your lives, what can I say but, thank you:-).
You da bomb man

Old 07-23-2013, 07:09 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

You da bomb man
Gee thanks man! I appreciate the biggest vote of confidence!

Old 07-23-2013, 07:19 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Gee thanks man! I appreciate the biggest vote of confidence!
You bet...in fact at first your hw became my hw, but then I just got confused:

I can't wait for my NM Tune this spring/summer!!!! Every time I look at this thread, I get overly excited lol.
With Evolve when I spoke to them, you send your ECU to Washington D.C. I believe, to a shop, from there it goes to the U.K. At the Evolve shop. I'm currently thinking about them and NM. But NM has the upper hand.

I would go with ETG, but I got a cone filter and other mods I want to add. But it is nice to know what mods are needed for their tune.

Tony, ill have my tune by sometime this summer, but probably with NM, same reasons as you, customer service!
Like I said its fine about the skepticism on ETG tune, I already know a few people on here who've contacted me through personal PM, considering it hard.

If you guys want your DP so badly, he can work around it but with a little less HP/TQ..almost very similar in number wise such as NM's Stage 2.

Anyways, I will get his tune and as I said before I will dyno the car so it can show how much power is being put down. That is what makes me curious. What I love about their tune is I don't need to waste $1k more on other mods not needed. I can add a DP later on in the summer or whenever my MINIs testosterone wants more.

Again I understand why some feel the way they do about ETG's tune, but that's equivalent to how I feel about NM's tune since they haven't worked out their issues on autos for their Stage 2.

Btw, has anyone dynoed their tunes on here yet?
When I get my tune by ETG I will definitely post up the dyno when I drive down to Ohio! I know many on HERE are skeptical but at least it's proof for the numbers.

Trust me I wanted NM's tune but more mods to fit their protocol on what tune better fits the car i.e. Stage 1/2.

RennTech is good too but I'm good on spending that much and then pay for a dyno if I don't live in FL.

RMW will never touch my car or Jan's services in general.

I chose ETG to go with since they're great with what numbers they can produce, I didn't have to spend more $$$ to get more HP/TQ out of the car. Free dyno when I have it tuned by them, and best of all Jags really talked to me and told me many points about their tune. I don't think 40hp/60tq is bad at all to the crank!

But I'm never gonna bad mouth NM's and RennTech tune, but RMW I think otherwise.

In the end, a tune is a tune IMO. Reason I say that cause everyone has their own opinion on people's tunes and what positives they like and dislike.
I hear you guys. Especially on Hyundai's poor performance.

Anyways, yeah I don't think I'm going with ETG just so I can do it and dyno it and so on. I'm going with NM now and that's final. Done switching around. Plus I get free upgrades/flashes! I'm sure Jerry will figure out how to make the Stage 2 tune on autos to work.

Mell, I'm sure with the LSD it would definitely make a surprise on any v6 performance cars. Especially on how much I dislike the Nissan 350/370z owners.

Back to topic, if anyone is truly considering ETG and gets them to dyno their car after the tune, enjoy it, and post it up after.
thanks guys, I will keep on trying.

But honestly, I think I like Smokey's and BrenTuning. Yes it's a little more than I wanted to spend on the tune from BrenTuning, but $695+, for 210hp/260tq, I can't describe what an automatic N18 MCS owner would feel about that. Of course I'd have to dyno but oh well. Somebody has to take the plunge on some other tuner besides NM engineering.

Smokey's is also in the picture because they dyno the car before and after, plus with results so I can show you guys. I hope someone else is considering these guys or found other options. I just think with today's technology, the automatics should be able to produce more than 25-30hp and 30-35tq..NM and RennTech says they are having issues with surging, but Smokey's, ETG, and BrenTuning have no issues with surging, just kinda makes me wonder too much.

I guess only one way to find out eventually in the next month or two
Well the word from Detroit Tuned is that in August they plan to have him at their place so they can dyno tune MINIs. They need 10 or more people and to put a deposit down for insurance to make sure he actually comes.

So if this is the case, and MINI Dynamics isn't good, then RMW can have my services, upon that he can tune it and have no issues with it. I can't be out of a car, if something messes up. But from hearing others experiences, obviously he's good. So I just hope to have my car tuned this summer, even if it means waiting til August.
You'll be fine with 200-210 whp and 220-230 wtq.

I really don't believe people need more than that. I'm going with PAW because he needs my expectations and knows the limit on what an auto trans can handle.
Oh trust me my signature is outdated haha. But this is my last resort. I don't really feel comfortable sending my ECU in. So RMW is my last hope for a dyno tune. So far four people are interested. Possibly five with a buddy of mine who has a R53. Let me know if your down so I can take a count. Thanks!
That's why I'm going with RennTech. Not to crazy and still reliable from talking to a couple Mercedes guys on their forums.
By this time someone said: damn, if these threads moved faster that would make for a great drinking game.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:01 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

You bet...in fact at first your hw became my hw, but then I just got confused:

By this time someone said: damn, if these threads moved faster that would make for a great drinking game.
Damn, you must be really bored. I am speechless at how bored you must be to go through every page hahaha. Well good luck to you bud. Oh and for the main fact, I'm not the only one who switched their minds on tunes, but it's okay I understand your ego needs to be fed:-).

Old 07-23-2013, 09:24 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Can we stop worrying about Rob's credibility and get back to discussing all the pros and cons for the tunes out there. Especially for the post Feb 2012 N18 which is the real reason and topic for this thread.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
@royalcooper, what's there to say? All we can do is wait for Terry@BMS to come out with more info and release dates (which I'm impatiently waiting for), unless more info from existing tuners (like dyno's or good/bad experiences) are presented. It's ok to get sidetracked once in a while. And plus, I agree with Rob, we are all looking for the same thing and I for one have switched companies as well. I started with NM, didn't like shipping ecu, went to RENNtech (very expensive), then PAW which I like but BMS offers more for less so now i'm going with BMS.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs