Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:14 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tommy Thompson
Has any one with a 2011 MCAa done a NM reflash?
If so no one on NAM or "other" forums has posted about it that I am aware of. Be the first

Old 08-17-2012, 01:38 PM
icedMINIcobra
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A friend of mine took his 2012 Countryman to Renntech in Florida for the ECU tunning. He gained 22 hp and 57 tq to the wheels. His Countryman has no other modifications. It's also an automatic. Once I get the OK from the wife I will be headed down there for my R55.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
roadsterman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by icedMINIcobra
A friend of mine took his 2012 Countryman to Renntech in Florida for the ECU tunning. He gained 22 hp and 57 tq to the wheels. His Countryman has no other modifications. It's also an automatic. Once I get the OK from the wife I will be headed down there for my R55.
Thanks for the results numbers

Old 08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
bajones1223
1st Gear
Hello everyone. I had my ECU re-flashed by NM Engineering back in June and have been pleased with the results. Its not a rocket ship by any means but the power delivery is much better than stock and there is certainly more power across the board than before. I do not have any engine mods other than a K&N air filter and I did not dyno the car before or after the tune.

Overall, getting the ECU out was a piece of cake and I simply had NM do the tune while I was away on vacation. When I returned the ECU was re-installed and all was good. I am thinking about adding a FMIC in the near future but will probably stop there as I am not interested in a loud exhaust system or CAI's.

Hope that helps anyone considering the NM tune.

Brad

Old 08-21-2012, 05:36 PM
icedMINIcobra
Neutral
Originally Posted by roadsterman
Thanks for the results numbers
Your welcome. He has more info posted in the R60 section. It is activated with the Sport button which I thought was a nice touch. He didn't loose the, "pop/burble" noise either.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:16 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't yet but I'm going to get their stage II tune soon. I have an Akrapovic DP and Forge FMIC. The guy I talked to on the phone said I should be able to gain around 40hp from stock in my configuration.

I live in LA so it's nice and convenient for me to just drive to them and get the tune done in an afternoon. I've never had the car dyno'd and don't even know where/how to do that so I can't give any actual gain measurements but I'll definitely report back with my experience.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:35 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
NM has different stage tunes? I thought it was just a plain basic tune.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:42 AM
calforhelp
5th Gear
From their site:
25-30 HP and 30-35 Ft-lbs gain on stock engine. Intercooler is needed for Stage 2 which will produce additional 20-25% power gain.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Bullie
2nd Gear
Is that 20-25% of baseline HP/TQ, of the new HP/TQ, or of the gains made over stock from the stage 1? I find it hard to believe that the intercooler tune will give 40-50 HP/TQ more than the new numbers, or 35-40 or so above the stock output numbers. If that's 20-25% of the gain, then it's a whole lot of money for 6-7 HP/TQ. You could get close to that feeling for free by taking out your rear seats, etc.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:48 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Bullie
Is that 20-25% of baseline HP/TQ, of the new HP/TQ, or of the gains made over stock from the stage 1? I find it hard to believe that the intercooler tune will give 40-50 HP/TQ more than the new numbers, or 35-40 or so above the stock output numbers. If that's 20-25% of the gain, then it's a whole lot of money for 6-7 HP/TQ. You could get close to that feeling for free by taking out your rear seats, etc.
It sounds like it is an additional 20-25% of the 25-30 that the stage I brings. So yeah, an additional 7hp from the tune but the stage II doesn't cost more than the stage I. I dont think that 7hp includes whatever gains the FMIC gets you on its own. So I would say for around $600 it's not a terrible price to gain 10 or 11 hp if you're already getting the tune.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Bullie
2nd Gear
I don't really know that a front mount on its own would net any gains. It will create more turbo lag though, which will give the illusion of a loss. The FMIC is really nothing without the tune for it. Now you're back to $600 plus install(if not comfortable with a DIY on the FMIC) for only a few ponies. Not seeing all that much value in it.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:03 AM
turtle343
4th Gear
I don't really know that a front mount on its own would net any gains. It will create more turbo lag though, which will give the illusion of a loss. The FMIC is really nothing without the tune for it. Now you're back to $600 plus install(if not comfortable with a DIY on the FMIC) for only a few ponies. Not seeing all that much value in it.
i agree 100% from personal experience. get it after a tune

Old 08-29-2012, 04:57 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Just shipped out my ECU to NM. I guess I will just have to take my R6 to work lol. Im gonna hate not driving for like 2 weeks :(

Old 08-29-2012, 04:59 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Getting the stage 2 tune by the way.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:11 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all the updates guy (and/or gals)!

Nice to see that Nm is finally posting info on their tune and how nice it is looking.

Automan21 - very interested in your results and to see some numbers. Would love if you could get a dyno with the tune turned on and off to compare the results. Seems like the NM test was done on a N14 engine so we could see differences in our 2011 N18s. When/if you post results, make sure you post your modifications for a idea of what you have done, intercooler being obvious.

Main post updated!

Old 08-31-2012, 05:41 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
I've been told that late 2012's and 2013 can't be tuned because the ECU had a change and it hasn't been cracked. Has anyone else heared this?.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:16 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jkapinos
I've been told that late 2012's and 2013 can't be tuned because the ECU had a change and it hasn't been cracked. Has anyone else heared this?.
This is true. Not that they haven't been cracked, more that MINI changed something in the ECU and was causing conflicts in the tune, so the tune needed to be re-tweaked, sort of...My N18 has a build of 4/12 and I had to wait for NM to complete their adjustments in their tune, but it seems that NM has the tune on their site now (It's never been there before), as well as specifying that it is compatible with '12 models. I sent my NM rep an e-mail to confirm this earlier, will confirm it soon! If it's ready for my car, I will be doing it ASAP!

Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
From the site that they posted some other results:

Originally Posted by europeancarweb.com
Engine: 1.6-liter I4, dohc, 16-valve, turbocharged
Transmission: Six-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-wheel drive
Mileage: 15,917
Current modifications: NM Engineering Stage 1 flash, NME cat-back exhaust, NME Hi-Flow induction kit, NME discharge pipe, NME charge pipe

Dyno Data
Type: Clayton Mustang dynamometer with Virtual Test Track Software
Transmission test gear: Third
Dyno set weight: 3,300 lb
Fuel grade: 91 octane

Baseline
Temperature: 68F
Humidity: 11%
Peak power: 182 hp @ 6054 rpm
Peak torque: 200 lb-ft @ 2268 rpm

Test Notes
All horsepower and torque numbers are quoted at the wheels. It is also important to keep in mind that a properly calibrated Mustang dyno produces more accurate real-world horsepower and torque numbers. While these numbers might seem low when compared to a Dynojet, down roughly 10 percent, sometimes even greater if the dyno is miscalibrated, what is important is the differences between each dyno run. While the numbers matter, it is the differences between the runs that help prove or disprove the validity of the manufacturer’s horsepower and torque claims

Forge Motorsport Uprated Alloy Intercooler (Before NM Tune)

Test 1

Performance Peak power: 184 hp @ 5922 rpm
Peak torque: 201 lb-ft @ 2889 rpm
Max power gain: 16 hp @ 6830 rpm
Max torque gain: 5 lb-ft @ 4750 rpm
Temperature: 70F
Humidity: 12%
Tools: T25 Torx driver, box cutter, flat-head screwdriver
Parts: Intercooler core, modified front bumper grille
Installation time: 1.5 hours
MSRP: $720

[Peak Torque: 201 lb-ft]
[Peak Power: 184 hp]
[Temperature: 70°F Humidity: 12%]
Pros
Direct bolt-on with only minor trimming of the front bumper cover
Reduced intake temperatures
Intercooler core bolts to the factory mounting tabs
Dual-core construction maximizes efficiency in a limited space
250% larger surface area and a 125% thicker base core

Cons
Intercooler core does not appear centered in lower grille opening

The air intake graph represents the difference in temperature levels, between the stock intercooler and Forge Motorsport intercooler. Intake temperature and rpm data used in the graph was extracted from the ECU with Bavarian Technic USB OBD-II cable and software. The temperature data was converted from C to F using a mathematical conversion formula.

Nm Engineering Stage 2 ecu flash (With Forge IC)

Test 2

Performance
Peak power: 197 hp @ 6133 rpm
Peak torque: 233 lb-ft @ 2738 rpm
Max power gain: 15 hp @ 6151 rpm
Max torque gain: 35 lb-ft @ 2738 rpm
Temperature: 71F
Humidity: 12%
Install Process: OBD Port Flash
Installation time: 25 minutes
MSRP: $500

[Peak Torque: 233 lb-ft]
[Peak Power: 197 hp]
[Temperature: 71°F Humidity: 12%]
Pros
Completely reversible with zero physical modifications
Retains all of factory safety protocols
Free lifetime upgrades and free re-flash back to stock programming
100% compatible with all diagnostic software
Fuel, timing and electronic throttle settings have been optimized to take full advantage of the increase in boost pressure
Sport button retains full factory functionally

Cons
None

[Max Torque Gain: 40 lb-ft]
[Max Power Gain: 28 hp]
Conclusion

The engine’s intercooler and turbocharger are two components that, when properly balanced, generate consistent power and performance. The MINI Cooper S’s stock system is a perfect example of how an imbalanced system can result in inconsistent power and decreased performance. On the dyno, the stock Cooper S power curve is very inconsistent with an intake temperature that more than doubles as the engine moves through the rpm range, resulting in excessive timing retard and power loss. The Forged intercooler corrected the system imbalance and run after run on the dyno the power and the intake temperature stayed consistent. On the road the Forge-equipped Cooper S no longer seemed to give up in the upper rpm range, pulling solid all the way to redline. For good measure we decided to try the NM Engineering Cooper S Stage II higher boost software that recommends a upgraded intercooler, especially when using 91 octane. The result is more power and more fun, and the Forge intercooler was still able to maintain balance. If you own a Cooper S, adding an uprated intercooler in a must.

Costs Summary

Forge Intercooler
$720.00

NM Engineering Flash
$500.00

MSRP total.
$1,220.00

Read more: http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/p...#ixzz25H7hqs9O

Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Bullie
2nd Gear
No offense Shoof, but you do realize those results were on an N14 equipped car, and not an N18, right?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Shoof
5th Gear
No offense Shoof, but you do realize those results were on an N14 equipped car, and not an N18, right?
I know, thanks

Better?

Originally Posted by europeancarweb.com

2011 MINI COUNTRYMAN COOPER S - PROVEN
By Anthony Gelinas
european car, March, 2012

Over the years I have found the quickest and most effective way to squeeze power out of any turbocharged engine is to simply reprogram the ECU. So when John, a colleague from our IT department, was looking to juice up his 2011 MINI Countryman Cooper S, equipped with the 181-hp 1.6L (N18) turbocharged engine, we jumped at the opportunity and had the perfect company in mind. Though NM Engineering is fairly new to the MINI tuning world, they are dominant in the Audi and VW tuning scene. The engineers behind their products have been developing and perfecting engine software for the last 22 years and tuning engines and suspensions for 37 plus. This vast knowledge was extremely important, especially since MINI has begun using the latest Bosch MEVD 17.2.2 software to control its turbocharged engines. I told John I would take his MINI to get it chipped, in exchange for an honest review—good or bad—and lunch.

Vehicle Data
Engine: 1.6-liter I4, dohc, 16-valve, turbocharged
ECU type: MEVD 17.2.2 with Tricore TC1797
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: front-wheel drive
Mileage: 8,923

Dyno Data
Dyno type: Clayton Mustang
Transmission test gear: Third
Dyno set weight: 3,300 pounds
Fuel grade: 91 octane

Performance
Temperature: 78° F
Humidity: 22%
Peak power: 172 hp @ 5844 rpm
Peak torque: 174 lb-ft @ 1995 rpm

Test Notes

All horsepower and torque numbers are quoted at the wheels. It is also important to keep in mind that the Mustang dyno, when properly calibrated, produces more accurate real-world horsepower and torque numbers. While these numbers might seem low when compared to a Dynojet, roughly 10 percent—sometimes even greater if the dyno is miscalibrated—what is important is the differences between each dyno run. These differences are what we use to verify the validity of the manufacturer’s horsepower and torque claims.

ECU Flash NM Engineering

Test 1

Performance
Peak power: 202 hp @ 6363 rpm
Peak torque: 210 lb-ft @ 2845 rpm
Max power gain: 32 hp @ 6315 rpm
Max torque gain: 42 lb-ft @ 2511 rpm
Temperature: 81°F
Humidity: 24%

Install process: Bench flash
Installation time: 45 minutes
MSRP: $500

Pros

Completely reversible, “zero” physical modifications
Retains all of the factory safety protocols and encryptions
Free lifetime upgrades and free re-flash back to stock programming
100% compatible with all diagnostic software
Fuel, timing and electronic throttle setting have been optimized to take full advantage of the increase in boost pressure
Sport Button retains all of the factory functionally
Compatible with OEM BMW/MINI service equipment including OEM software updates and recalibrations
OEM flash capability retained preventing the ECU from turning into an expensive paperweight

Cons

None

The boost graph represents the difference in boost levels between the factory and NM software. Boost and rpm data used in the graph was extracted from the ECU with Bavarian Technic USB OBD-II cable and software. The boost data was converted from kPa to psi using the conversion formula.

Conclusion

A few days after I returned the new and improved MINI Countryman to John, I still had yet to hear from him. Since there were no bags of flaming dog excrement on my desk and my computer hadn’t mysteriously crashed, I had assumed all was well. So when I arrived at the office late one morning, I had this uneasy feeling like everyone was looking at me and snickering. Walking cautiously up to my desk, I found a partially decimated pile of my favorite 85°C sweet treats. Perplexed, I sorted through the half eaten cakes and crumbled taro bread and found the card that had “Incredible” written one side and John’s signature on the other. Apart from being annoyed at my fellow workmates, I was perplexed as I wanted more details than this.

As I sat at my desk and enjoyed what was left of my thank you basket, I opened my email to find a message from John. From the length of the message I at once understood the need for a one-worded card and that he probably had one too many salted coffees from 85°. Though I cannot include the length of his email as it would consume the entire ec magazine, I wanted to include some parts, as it echoed my thoughts as I drove his car to and from NM Engineering.

“Dude, this is the way the car should come from the factory. I always loved my MINI stock and my biggest concern was having a mod that I had to compromise for—like more power but it shifted strange or some other weirdness. But now it’s my car but 10 times better, with gobs of power and a more responsive throttle. In First gear as soon as you put your foot down power is instant and continues through the gears. The increased torque did take some getting used to especially when coming out of corner. Throttle response is really smooth not at all jerky, and oh yeah, the factory exhaust even has a little more growl.”

After taking some Advil to eliminate my eyestrain, John’s one-word impression made sense as it is quite incredible to purchase a product and be 100 percent satisfied with the outcome. Because, let’s face it, in the tuning world most of the time we must compromise whether we realize it or not. Ride performance for comfort, more power at the cost of gas mileage, etc. With NM Engineering’s new software upgrade for the MINI Countryman, you get a quality product at extremely reasonable price, no compromise needed.

Max power gain: 32 hp @ 6315 rpm
Max torque gain: 42 lb-ft @ 2511 rpm

Costs Summary

NM Engineering Flash: $500

Read more: http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/p...#ixzz25KilS200

Old 09-02-2012, 10:22 AM
Bullie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
I know, thanks
Better?
Much! lol

Old 09-02-2012, 11:12 AM
automan21
5th Gear
Much! lol
Yes better but it doesn't show the info after a stage two tune.
I don't have a dyno around me but when I get my ecu back I will definitely let everyone know how it is.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Originally Posted by automan21
Yes better but it doesn't show the info after a stage two tune.
I don't have a dyno around me but when I get my ecu back I will definitely let everyone know how it is.
Wouldn't it be safe to assume like their tune on the N14's with a stage 2 setup showing a 20-25% increase in power to be the same % on an N18? Just saying....

Old 09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Maybe I'm just a bit dense but is it 20-25% of base HP and tq or of the stage 1 increase? I think someone here asked the same but no true answer was given. I even emailed nm to ask but got no reply yet.

Old 09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Shoof
Wouldn't it be safe to assume like their tune on the N14's with a stage 2 setup showing a 20-25% increase in power to be the same % on an N18? Just saying....
Read the post again, it seems it would
was a bit out of it.
Still thinking of getting the spare ecu. That price is crazy though

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs