Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 AM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by borderwave2
How would the dealer flash software fixes/updates to a car if there wasn't write access?
We know you can bench flash a tune on there, but the key part is doing it via the ODB port. Does the dealer flash software via the ODB port?

Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:51 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:46 AM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Video from these guys

Shows nothing about OBD but that is their claim from what I read. It appears to be an Asian group so perhaps there's a loss in translation of OBD but I don't see how. Regardless it doesn't mean much to us in the USA but I find it interesting since this hadn't been done yet.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:23 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
We know you can bench flash a tune on there, but the key part is doing it via the ODB port. Does the dealer flash software via the ODB port?

Yeah, the dealer flashes software via the OBD port. I'll take a picture while I'm there tomorrow if anyone want's proof. If anyone honestly thinks the ECU in a MINI cooper is some sort of secret untunable system, more hack proof than a Porsche/BMW M or GTR, (which all have tunes available) you're seriously nuts.

Our market is small, there's nothing special or unique about a Bosch DME.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:27 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, the dealer flashes software via the OBD port. I'll take a picture while I'm there tomorrow if anyone want's proof. If anyone honestly thinks the ECU in a MINI cooper is some sort of secret untunable system, more hack proof than a Porsche/BMW M or GTR, (which all have tunes available) you're seriously nuts.

Our market is small, there's nothing special or unique about a Bosch DME.
If you know anything about the way the ISID/ISIS system works (which I very much doubt), you'd realize it's a lot more complex than simple OBD communication... Some of us have the hardware (GT1/ICOM) and access (ISIS/ISTA/INPA), and most can't possibly afford to have it, or possess the level of knowledge to even handle such equipment. It's easy to send an ISIS command for a re-flash (by the dealership), but try doing it with a CVN that comes back correct to the DME...

I hate to be an *** here, but I just get sick of opinions getting thrown out without any understanding behind them. You may want to do more research before calling anyone names...

Last edited by Theta; 10-17-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 PM
6000pounds
4th Gear
The pop singer Rihanna or however you spell her name has her 10 containers of sound crap shipping through our company Monday so will have to move my appt. at RENNtech to next Tuesday. Will post up results Tuesday.... :(

Old 10-17-2013, 09:25 PM
Theta
6th Gear
10 containers?! Sweet Jesus...

Old 10-17-2013, 09:32 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
If you know anything about the way the ISID/ISIS system works (which I very much doubt), you'd realize it's a lot more complex than simple OBD communication... Some of us have the hardware (GT1/ICOM) and access (ISIS/ISTA/INPA), and most can't possibly afford to have it, or possess the level of knowledge to even handle such equipment. It's easy to send an ISIS command for a re-flash (by the dealership), but try doing it with a CVN that comes back correct to the DME...

I hate to be an *** here, but I just get sick of opinions getting thrown out without any understanding behind them. You may want to do more research before calling anyone names...
I understand that the ECU flashing does not rely on the relatively simple OBD-II protocols. What you said was that flashing over OBD was impossible due to hardware restrictions. Someone got the impression that there is some other port used to flash the N18, rather than the OBD. I just wanted to dispel this myth. CVN checksums are just another hurdle to jump. Any tuner worth their salt could have the N18 DME cracked (functional CNV and all) in a matter of weeks. Again, the reason we don't have tunes is because there arent' many of us.

When a company says "your ecu is too hard to crack" they're really just saying "your tiny market isn't worth the R&D." Money talks, and the Mini aftermarket money pool ain't very big.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Theta
6th Gear
I agree with what you're saying, and I've seen it done with a spoofed checksum on factory hardware, but it's not something that would or could be on a mass scale.

People mistakenly assume OBD tuning equals a Cobb-type tuner. While the BMW diagnostic equipment can, in fact, access and re-program the DME from the CAN bus, it's nothing that will trickle down to the end user.

Now, I do know of one tuner that is able to reprogram the three N18 ECU variants without opening them, but a) that's still not OBD, and b) that information will most likely never surface since the N18 isn't long for this world.

As you said - the pool isn't very big for the N18.

Last edited by Theta; 10-17-2013 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:00 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Since the title has the words "always up-to-date" in I like to be the first person on this thread to say Evolve Automotive will now be tuning the N18.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Theta
6th Gear
I understand that the ECU flashing does not rely on the relatively simple OBD-II protocols. What you said was that flashing over OBD was impossible due to hardware restrictions. Someone got the impression that there is some other port used to flash the N18, rather than the OBD.
I also see what you were trying to clear up there. It does appear that a lot of people are getting the wrong idea.

Just because a port is there doesn't always mean it's being used for the same things. I guess people took my words to mean that the port, itself, was the issue.

The issue is the communication protocol, or lack thereof. Outside of BMW equipment, there is no way to communicate via the OBD port with the DME/ECU. That should clear it up a little better, thanks for bringing that to light.

As for the Asian example, I'd wager that they're using an ICOM kit that you can buy for $800-1000 and hacking their way into it. That's kind of stupid, though... and it certainly leaves some nasty traces when you go for that eventual re-flash (service visit, upgrade, etc).

Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
There is a new tune for those N14 among us who have been left behind by all the action at BMS. JZW, a big tuner in the Saab world has released a tune for the N14 using his HANDHELD FLASH tool.

JZW is known for making big power with saabs. He has recently taken on the N54 and thankfully the N14 as well.

The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs-hzjeinb.jpg
Stage 1 is putting down 226 BHP on a completely stock car!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Theta
6th Gear
Err... good for the N14s?

N18 thread...

Old 11-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Shoof
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hey guys...I haven't browsed this thread in some time, but I just had my '12 (4/12 production) Countryman S ALL4 tuned by NM-ENG. They can now flash ECU's on cars built after 2/12.

I can't give very much of an impression, as I only pushed my car for a short bit to feel any differences....

The first minute or two of driving, you noticed something was different, but not much different. After a few minutes, it seemed like the car transformed itself, like flipping a switch.... You get a little lag up to about 2200 RPM, but from there, she pulls hard enough that you definitely notice the difference. I have an intake, so you hear more of the engine noise too, and aside from the normal intake and blow off valve sounds, you're hearing a much more distinct whistle sound of the turbo when you're pushing the car. I didn't drive very far with it, but the 10 minutes I was driving in my area, it definitely made a difference. I drove home last night on the highway, but once again too many cars around to really see what she can do. I drove to work this morning like I normally would, which means driving it like a sane person would, shifting at 3k, not pushing it, so didn't notice much of a difference. It did seem like there was a pinch more power off the line, though.

Also, with my car having NAV & Connected, I plugged my phone in to activate the connected app to see if the performance gauges will show a different number compared to stock. I couldn't really stare at it all that much because I was focused on trying to drive and watch for the cars I'm approaching at high speeds. I remember speaking to someone who said that even with increased power from a tune, it won't alter the pre-set maximum figures that are in the system...But it looks like it is showing much higher numbers than I had previously recorded. Once again, I couldn't drive "all out" to see the maximum levels, but the display showed me 215hp, and 300nm (newton metre), which translates to a little over 220lb ft of torque, but the figures were still going up, I just didn't have the space/distance to see how far it will go. I'll have to find an open area where I can pay better attention to see just how high it will go. FWIW, I've never seen over 197hp and like 232nm (but that wasn't the max).

Anyone else tune their N18 with post 2/12 production dates with NM?

Old 01-24-2014, 09:41 AM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Theta
For now, everybody enjoy the options we have (as there are several now).
Could you tell me what these options are or point me to the current list? The list on the first post of this thread appears to be out of date, and I don't feel like reading through the remaining 80+ pages. Thanks

Old 01-24-2014, 09:43 AM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
So according to Evolve Automotive US, they've recently started development on US-spec N18 engines. It looks like they're just scratching the surface of the N18 ecu, so it's going to be a while...Evolve says they'll post more when there's more to add. Just thought I'd make it known.

Things are starting to look up on the tuning front with the JB+ now on the market and a JB4 down the road. And now an Evolve N18 tune is very possible.
That is great news about Evolve and the N18. You don't want to know how much time I spent reading about the Evolve-R without realizing that it was only for the N14!

Same for the Accessport - this is (or was, as it's no longer being sold) N14 only as well.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:24 AM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Old 01-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Evolve Automotive
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see there is a ton of interest in our Evolve tune for the N18.
We do offer a option but is different than the Evolve-R we currently have. In order to tune your N18 mini cooper you will have to send your DME to one of our US Authorized dealer. The process takes 3 days roughly if you next day the DME to them. We are working on a OBD version, but this take a lot of time and we are working to try to provide this to you guys.

Also, if anyone is interested I will provide a huge discount for the first one in the US to try this on the forum. (we have done a few in the us, but they are not members here)

Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 AM
VanessaVELEZ
1st Gear
What about the Madness Motorworks (MiniMadness) tune? I got a hold of a guy at by calling their number, and he said he can tune the n18 engine.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
CN R60
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Evolve Automotive
We do offer a option but is different than the Evolve-R we currently have. In order to tune your N18 mini cooper you will have to send your DME to one of our US Authorized dealer. The process takes 3 days roughly if you next day the DME to them. We are working on a OBD version, but this take a lot of time and we are working to try to provide this to you guys.

Also, if anyone is interested I will provide a huge discount for the first one in the US to try this on the forum. (we have done a few in the us, but they are not members here)
That's great to see that you are still developing for the N18!

I'd be interested in your OBD solution when it becomes available - it would be the best solution for me as I am located in China.

By the way, do you know anything about the 122hp variant of the N18 that is used with the non-S ALL4 automatic model in certain markets (not available in the US)? Mini rates this engine at 90 kW (122 hp) and 190 Nm (140 lb-ft) with a 0-100 km/h time of 11.7s. However, seat of the pants feels much faster than that - I have driven the FWD non-turbo Cooper which is only rated 2 hp less at 120 hp and this is a much bigger difference. I suspect that Mini is purposely understating the power output so as not to steal sales from the S model which sells for a considerable premium over here. The power may still be reduced from the S, much like how the One is just a crippled Cooper. I am still in my break-in period so I haven't done a WOT run up the rev range (though I did accidentally hit 5k RPM a couple of times - darn sport button LOL), however you can really feel the boost kicking in above 2k RPM.

Anyways, I've been making the assumption that any tune for the Cooper S would give the same end result on my car. Do you think this is a correct assumption to make assuming that the hardware is the same as what's in the Cooper S (turbo, intercooler, etc.)? The only difference in the hardware I can see is in the exhaust - mine has a single outlet.

Old 04-20-2014, 04:19 PM
JVG
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Evolve Automotive

I'm interested. Is there and option in the future for modified tunes for slightly upsized turbos such as a GT2871R or a GT28RS.

Old 04-21-2014, 12:49 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
N18 Tuning through OBD is possible. Companies haven't tried hard enough. Like one of the members said, If we can tune GTR's M3's Porsche's, theres no reason why we couldn't tune a Mini Cooper. Manic Motorsport will do it for you all through OBD. Complete ECU Rewrite.

The following users liked this post:
RChandler (11-05-2020)
Old 04-21-2014, 12:52 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JVG
I'm interested. Is there and option in the future for modified tunes for slightly upsized turbos such as a GT2871R or a GT28RS.
The GT turbos produce lots of power but there are lots of disadvantages involved. Does not fit properly and you will get a lot of turbo lag. Should look into JMTC Turbos.

www.jmturbocoopers.com

EDIT: You know its bad when they make a turbo specifically to beat the GT turbos in every way.
"The Billet GT Dominator™ is not just our answer to the GT28 but it dominates the GT28 in every category hands down! Giving you more power, quicker power, better boost pressure control and not just more torque but higher torque and it will last longer because it has our larger JMTC K04 (not OEM sized K03 exhaust turbine) extreme high flow Dual Scroll exhaust housing. Unlike the GT28 it is designed to fit with all OEM components, no single scroll adapter required, no cutting, no required boost controller, no EPA, reliability, and/or warranty issues, and it doesn't have a huge list of unreliable aftermarket components required just to install it! "

Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Stiv
2nd Gear
Hi everyone, I'm curious to know if you put a jb+ tune on your vehicle is there a device that can read your max knock/max boost/timing once your pulled over? As in after you have driven your car hard and want to check what max levels you reached, especially knock. I hear there is a scan tool, and a bt cable but I'm not sure if these can do that. In info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-22-2014, 08:28 AM
jgray205
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by stevena
Hi everyone, I'm curious to know if you put a jb+ tune on your vehicle is there a device that can read your max knock/max boost/timing once your pulled over? As in after you have driven your car hard and want to check what max levels you reached, especially knock. I hear there is a scan tool, and a bt cable but I'm not sure if these can do that. In info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
You can get a OBD II over bluetooth device and use Torque app on your Android phone to log. I picked up that bluetooth device on Amazon for around $20. I'm guessing there is something equivalent for IOS users.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs