Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:32 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Both think their cars come from Krypton. Around here theyre always revving at lights and wanting to race. Just like the Hondas. I love how light and quick our little cars are. I just had to bring that up cuz one was trying to get me to race. Of course I did not fall into that trap

Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
automan21
5th Gear
Anyone else here got the other tuners to do their tune besides NM?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Next time tell the Mustang owner to meet you at the track! I'm sure he won't show up, he just wants to straight line(boringggg). And for the Honda's, just ignore them, they're just a waste of time.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:16 PM
cgaubuchon
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by automan21
Anyone else here got the other tuners to do their tune besides NM?
Not that has been reported, just your brave soul right now.

Also, lets keep this on topic and not condone illegal activities (not that you did)

Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2012 Countryman S built in 04/12 .
Going to be bringing her over to the ECU Tuning Group in Fremont tomorrow morning. They said they don't forsee a problem, but I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

So for a total n00b, does someone want to outline what exactly is preventing the tune in the later model ECU's for everybody but Renntech it seems? Is it a new encryption, or something else more complicated?

Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM
automan21
5th Gear
new encryption

Yes that^^^^^
good luck with the tune.

Old 09-18-2012, 04:48 PM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Well, I just figured I would check to see if there was any news from ALTA on the N18 since I have my 2013 JCW on order and here's the response I got from them.

Hi John,

Thank you for contacting ALTA Performance.

The AccessPORT will not be made available for the N18 engine MINI, sorry.

Please let us know if you have any more questions.

Thank you for your business
John Leitl
Sales Manager
ALTA Performance

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM
automan21
5th Gear
I thought the JCWs were still gonna use the older model engine N14-16 or what ever it is lol.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
automan21
5th Gear
I don't think alta will do anything with our engines anytime soon.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:38 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I believe 2013 JCW's will use the N18 engine....if so then we are all in the same boat in terms of tuning options.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I believe 2013 JCW's will use the N18 engine....if so then we are all in the same boat in terms of tuning options.
That's correct about the 2013 JCWs using the N18; and quite disappointing that ALTA has no intention to support the N18 after they were leaders with the N14.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Doesn't surprise me, some representative from Alta recently bought a 2012 Coupe....but a JCW.....so they can still use all the products since it still utilizes the N14.

Idk....I guess I'm just somewhat frustrated lol, no hard feelings

Old 09-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Pathy01
2nd Gear
I hear you on the frustration as well. I had the Alta AP for my 2009 JCW (as well as the COBB AP for a 2008 BMW 335i) and was a huge fan of the product, recommending it to many others. It's pretty frustrating that all they can say is no we're not gonna support the N18. Not even a reason or any sincere explanation, basically just a go away and stop asking response. Hopefully Evolve will come out with their Evolver flash tuner for the N18. Since their based in the U.K. but also with U.S. operations, they have a wider base of MINI drivers to sell to and will make the effort.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dontfeedthenerd
Hey guys. I have a 2012 Countryman S built in 04/12 .
Going to be bringing her over to the ECU Tuning Group in Fremont tomorrow morning. They said they don't forsee a problem, but I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

So for a total n00b, does someone want to outline what exactly is preventing the tune in the later model ECU's for everybody but Renntech it seems? Is it a new encryption, or something else more complicated?
Any updates? ETG is one of the places I'm considering.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 AM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
Any updates? ETG is one of the places I'm considering.
Yea, went to the ETG in fremont. Took pictures and diagrammed out my ECU. Said they should get instructions from their European counterparts within the next couple of days.

Will keep you posted.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Hujan
5th Gear
Yea, went to the ETG in fremont. Took pictures and diagrammed out my ECU. Said they should get instructions from their European counterparts within the next couple of days.

Will keep you posted.
Does this mean that, due to the encryption on the N18s, ETG is not yet able to tune them (but hopes to be able to shortly)?

Old 09-20-2012, 12:22 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Hujan.

Just got off the phone with ETG. So they spoke with their tool manufacturers, and those guys had never dealt with our ECU's before. (Not MINI ECU in general, this new generation post 02/12 ECU's)

So they didn't think they would have any trouble breaking the ecryption, as soon as they figure out where to attach their probes. So I'm gonna be all y'all's (and by all y'all I mean those with new bastard ECU's) guinea pig.

On Oct 3rd I'm going to drop off my MINI CM with Goshan at ETG in Fremont. I will be getting my ECU shipped off to Europe where they'll probe it and hopefully decrypt it. Basically if all goes well, ETG will then have the ability to tune these new MINI ECU's.

I'll be carless for a week, but hopefully this opens the doors for all you guys in want of a tune.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:03 PM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Just curious, why not just ship it to renntech where we know they can do it?

Old 09-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Hujan.

Just got off the phone with ETG. So they spoke with their tool manufacturers, and those guys had never dealt with our ECU's before. (Not MINI ECU in general, this new generation post 02/12 ECU's)

So they didn't think they would have any trouble breaking the ecryption, as soon as they figure out where to attach their probes. So I'm gonna be all y'all's (and by all y'all I mean those with new bastard ECU's) guinea pig.

On Oct 3rd I'm going to drop off my MINI CM with Goshan at ETG in Fremont. I will be getting my ECU shipped off to Europe where they'll probe it and hopefully decrypt it. Basically if all goes well, ETG will then have the ability to tune these new MINI ECU's.

I'll be carless for a week, but hopefully this opens the doors for all you guys in want of a tune.
Awesome! Thanks, man. Really hoping they are able to figure it out. Can't thank you enough for being the guinea pig on this. Good luck and God speed to your little ECU on its way to Europe. Fingers crossed!

Originally Posted by DKIKK77
Just curious, why not just ship it to renntech where we know they can do it?
Shhh! Don't dissuade him!

Old 09-20-2012, 01:13 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
$900 option vs. $700 option

Plus, not to start a flame war, but what's interesting is that Renntech uses the same tools as ETG, however the toolmaker has told ETG that they've never seen this particular ECU before. This is of course word of mouth from ETG, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Also, talking to the Renntech distributor out here in the Bay Area (I'm based in northern California) didn't do much to inspire confidence in the process. I had reached out to them at the same time I had reached out to ETG and NM-engineering. Both ETG and NM seemed much more involved in the whole process. Unfortunately, as you know NM isn't able to tune the newer ECU's yet, so I went to ETG who seemed willing to work with me.

Honestly, I see it as an opportunity to open up more options for those of us with newer ECU's.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan

Shhh! Don't dissuade him!
Haha, don't worry. I'm pretty fully committed to this at this point.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:02 PM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
$900 option vs. $700 option

Plus, not to start a flame war, but what's interesting is that Renntech uses the same tools as ETG, however the toolmaker has told ETG that they've never seen this particular ECU before. This is of course word of mouth from ETG, so I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

Also, talking to the Renntech distributor out here in the Bay Area (I'm based in northern California) didn't do much to inspire confidence in the process. I had reached out to them at the same time I had reached out to ETG and NM-engineering. Both ETG and NM seemed much more involved in the whole process. Unfortunately, as you know NM isn't able to tune the newer ECU's yet, so I went to ETG who seemed willing to work with me.

Honestly, I see it as an opportunity to open up more options for those of us with newer ECU's.
Gotcha. I wasn't trying to say one is better than the other just wondering. Most people won't do all that for the benefit of others so good for you. It's nice to be nearby your tuner too just in case. Hopefully a lot of people can benefit from this.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:06 PM
dontfeedthenerd
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DKIKK77
Gotcha. I wasn't trying to say one is better than the other just wondering. Most people won't do all that for the benefit of others so good for you. It's nice to be nearby your tuner too just in case. Hopefully a lot of people can benefit from this.
Haha, well it's not exactly a selfless act of sacrifice. I am saving money from the cheaper tune as well if this pans out.

I come from the Rotary community (my last car was an RX-8) where people were tight knit and were pretty willing guinea pigs for each other. Figured this was my way of paying it forward where I can.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Tommy Thompson
1st Gear
Monday AM Jerry at EuroTechs in Tempe Az installed my Forge IC on my 2011 MCS hard top with auto transmission. At noon Monday I over nighted my ECU to NM Engineering in Calif. It was back in my hands in Phx at 1PM Wed. A 48 hr turn around. Great service. Performance is fantastic. Will have dyno numbers in late fall when it will be much nicer weather here.

NM CB, NM CAI NM rear sway bar NM springs Brake Tech SS brake lines and Kumho Ecxta 4X

Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Thompson
Monday AM Jerry at EuroTechs in Tempe Az installed my Forge IC on my 2011 MCS hard top with auto transmission. At noon Monday I over nighted my ECU to NM Engineering in Calif. It was back in my hands in Phx at 1PM Wed. A 48 hr turn around. Great service. Performance is fantastic. Will have dyno numbers in late fall when it will be much nicer weather here.

NM CB, NM CAI NM rear sway bar NM springs Brake Tech SS brake lines and Kumho Ecxta 4X
So NM is able to tune the new ECUs now, or is the encryption issue specific only to the 2012s, not the N18 engine?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The Always Up-to-Date Thread on Tuning 2011+ (N18) MINIs