Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Coilovers or Unichip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 10:36 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Coilovers or Unichip?

Okay so I got some extra cash recently and I'm deciding what to do! Really I wanted to ask about the Unichip and what's the dealio on it. Problems? Power? Worth it?

Also wanted to know about the Vmaxx coil overs. I understand these are the lower end coil overs but do they compare to stock suspension as far as handling? I'd like to drop about an inch to take the gap out of my wheel hubs but at the same time I really don't want to take away from my steering since I'm moving to Cali in a few months!

Basically I'm in debate with what I should do! If the coilovers aren't going to take away from my suspension but will cosmetically look good then I might go that route, but if the power is worth more of the wild then I'd rather do that!

As is, I have 17's on my Mini (2003 R53)

For performance I have the following:
CAI
15% pulley
2% overdrive ATI crank
SuperSprint CB exhaust with BMP tips

Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 AM
blue2turbo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say save your money, get some injectors, and when you get to Cali, bring your car to Jan and have him tune it vice getting the Unichip.

I've read reviews that people buy VMaxx's to go low and that's about it, the ride sounds like it's not that great. Megan coilovers are a little more, but seem to be more appealing to the masses.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:24 AM
stephenellsworth
1st Gear
I guess it all depends on if you want to be faster or look cooler. I just put vmaxx on my car 3 days ago. I had the sport suspension from mini and would say that the vmaxx are slightly a notch better. Not a competition coilover but on the street I have taken a few good turns so far and I thought vmaxx felt really good. now I need to get a tune for the cherry on top

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Based upon your past history (and actually any mini imo), get the coilocers if that is your two choices...
the unichip has issues...worked for some, but failed, and caused issues for MANY MANY more....the unichip is an onlfschool throwback to when the mini COULD NOT BE TUNED...but now tuning is possible, the disadvantages of a unichip are far to great. The fact your mini has a bit of history with motor issues makes me say if you decide to mod the motor, do it right!!
Good luck and good to hear your MINI is still around!!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:54 AM
laforze
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Someone is selling Teins on one of the sites (SCMM, MU, or here) for $700. They have like 25k miles on them. Might think about looking into those.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
Cool! Thanks for all the tips! Yeah, I am kinda skeptical about the Uni and like Blue2 said I could bring it to Jan which I would MUCH rather do! I guess I can wait the extra couple months for some speed haha. Thanks for the hit on the Teins, I'ma look around for them! And thanks Zippy, yeah it is nice to have my Mini fully functioning again. Except I know I have a leak from the oil cooler I gotta get fixed, but after that it's all good to go! @Stephen, I just have stock suspension on my S but I do have some aftermarket sway bar supports. So if I can't get any others then the Vmaxx's will probably be better than what I have and look a little nicer too! Lmk whatcha think about them over the next few days if ya can!

Old 08-16-2012, 01:55 PM
GumbyLara
4th Gear
I'm thinkin I might just spend it on a whole bunch of little things like the m7 upper supports and poly bushing etc

Old 08-17-2012, 09:24 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Coilovers! SoCal roads aren't that bad

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST