Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Best Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012 | 03:33 AM
Jonny Crisp
|
2nd Gear
Best Performance Exhaust

Apologies to G33Guy for jumping on his thread title!

Which exhaust gives the best performance/HP increase?

I have an Evolve De-cat so am not looking for sound, purely power increase.

Let the opinions begin, and remember only POWAH!

Old 09-08-2012 | 05:22 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Akrapovic

Old 09-08-2012 | 05:30 AM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Take a look at Alta as well. They use a 3" design. You can check their Dyno's on there site.

-Steven

Old 09-08-2012 | 12:37 PM
Jonny Crisp
|
2nd Gear
Alta gives 10 Hp, 10 Torque and a slightly earlier spool.

Akrapovic claim slightly less, but only 1 or 2 points between them.

Can I safely assume that any of the other competitors would be roughly in the same ballpark? If there is only a 2HP difference then I guess I should select on sound, weight or price, as the power benefits are the same.

Is this a correct assumption or is there an alternative system which yields greater gains?

Old 09-08-2012 | 12:48 PM
BlueToy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jonny Crisp
Alta gives 10 Hp, 10 Torque and a slightly earlier spool.

Akrapovic claim slightly less, but only 1 or 2 points between them.

Can I safely assume that any of the other competitors would be roughly in the same ballpark? If there is only a 2HP difference then I guess I should select on sound, weight or price, as the power benefits are the same.

Is this a correct assumption or is there an alternative system which yields greater gains?
It sounds like you've got it right. Some will penalize the Alta because it weighs 1lb. more than stock, but being a 3" system, the benefit is faster/quicker turbo spool. I haven't priced the Akra, assuming more money? I've not heard any complaints about drone with either. You should be able to get some sound clips off the web/websites. One last thing to consider, Alta is about to release a new system that connects from the DP back. Hope this helps.

-Steven

Old 09-08-2012 | 04:29 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
I heard your mom has the best performance gain.

No but, seriously there really is no one exhaust that is better than the other.

Old 09-08-2012 | 06:57 PM
Jonny Crisp
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
No but, seriously there really is no one exhaust that is better than the other.
So this is where I jump over to "Best Throaty Exhaust" thread! Doh!

Old 09-09-2012 | 05:03 AM
jkapinos
5th Gear
With Akrapovic most of your power will be found with the DP. After you have the DP and exhaust. Tuning will get you 40 HP plus.

Old 09-09-2012 | 06:34 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by jkapinos
With Akrapovic most of your power will be found with the DP. After you have the DP and exhaust. Tuning will get you 40 HP plus.
Yeah and half that price I can go get a used Riss racing pipe/ Invidia Q300 with a tune and see that same gain in power.

Old 09-09-2012 | 11:48 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Yeah and half that price I can go get a used Riss racing pipe/ Invidia Q300 with a tune and see that same gain in power.
+1

Invidia is where it's at....you can't beat the price and it sounds beast.

Old 09-09-2012 | 07:38 PM
Jonny Crisp
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Invidia is where it's at....you can't beat the price and it sounds beast.
I does sound great, but too loud for me. Anyone got a sound bite of the Quicksilver with a de cat downpipe?

Old 09-09-2012 | 08:00 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by BlueToy
Take a look at Alta as well. They use a 3" design. You can check their Dyno's on there site.

-Steven
Sorry but that's not true. We've done a ton of dyno testing with exhaust on the R56 and getting 3hp out of a cat back is about the best you will do. Downpipes are another story as you can actually gain from a downpipe.
Also a 3 inch system is too large for the turbo on the MINI, it doesn't flow enough to need a 3 inch exhaust, therefore a 3inch can actually slow the exhaust flow because the velocity of the gas is slowed down. Also the 3inch is too heavy.

Old 09-09-2012 | 08:40 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
Sorry but that's not true. We've done a ton of dyno testing with exhaust on the R56 and getting 3hp out of a cat back is about the best you will do. Downpipes are another story as you can actually gain from a downpipe.
Also a 3 inch system is too large for the turbo on the MINI, it doesn't flow enough to need a 3 inch exhaust, therefore a 3inch can actually slow the exhaust flow because the velocity of the gas is slowed down. Also the 3inch is too heavy.

Old 09-09-2012 | 08:51 PM
Hujan
5th Gear
This raises an interesting question: How large is the turbo on the MINI? I am getting a custom exhaust made and would like to give this information to my exhaust guy so he can build it appropriately.

Old 09-15-2012 | 12:01 AM
MiniBOL
4th Gear

Are you running the Evolve DP now on your car? If so, how do you like it? Any details would be appreciated. I'm about to get one that is why.

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-15-2012 | 06:33 AM
Jonny Crisp
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
Are you running the Evolve DP now on your car? If so, how do you like it? Any details would be appreciated. I'm about to get one that is why.

Thanks in advance.
Running the de cat down pipe with their stage 2 tune. I did have the JCW tune and Evolve's is fantastic in comparison. I did the down pipe, FMIC, Tune and other mods at the same time so can't really tell you much about the DP on it's own. I can say my combo' of Forge and Evolve mods is working beautifully! Good quality work on the DP.

Old 09-15-2012 | 09:57 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Hujan
This raises an interesting question: How large is the turbo on the MINI? I am getting a custom exhaust made and would like to give this information to my exhaust guy so he can build it appropriately.
2.5" O.D. is all you need for the small turbo on the MINI. If it's good enough for 300+ hp EVOs it's good enough for you.

Old 09-16-2012 | 12:36 AM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
If power is what I am looking for..

Wouldn't Catless DP > Akrapovic DP?

Just wondering...

Old 09-22-2012 | 02:35 PM
DChase
1st Gear
There are very few exhausts (if any) @ 2.5in. Other than the WMW exhaust, which do you suggest?

Old 09-24-2012 | 08:06 AM
arnk0006
Banned
I just put on the Akrapovic DP and sounds great at 3k RPM its a whole different care. It also gets me up to speed so much faster. By the time I hit third Im basically ready for fourth gear. I have debated on the exhaust as well. Akra makes a nice looking exhaust just really expensive. $1k for exhaust isn't so bad but another $600 for tips is just nuts.

Old 09-24-2012 | 10:41 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
lol

Old 09-26-2012 | 01:46 PM
aklucsarits
3rd Gear

A straight pipe will give you the most power.

I have a 2.5" stainless pipe after the under-car cat on mine. Even with no resonators or muffler, it's not that loud or obnoxious as the turbo keeps it reasonably civilized. A straight cat-back also saves about 25 lbs, costs less than $200 at any muffler shop, and sounds glorious IMHO.

Old 09-27-2012 | 10:15 AM
Jonny Crisp
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by aklucsarits
A straight pipe will give you the most power.

I have a 2.5" stainless pipe after the under-car cat on mine. Even with no resonators or muffler, it's not that loud or obnoxious as the turbo keeps it reasonably civilized. A straight cat-back also saves about 25 lbs, costs less than $200 at any muffler shop, and sounds glorious IMHO.
Mine is Euro spec so only the one cat and that is history. I figured a straight pipe, no cat, no resonator only muffler would be obnoxiously loud. Ill try to find a sound clip on You tube. If its not too loud I might give it a try. Certainly cheaper!

Old 09-28-2012 | 09:33 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DChase
There are very few exhausts (if any) @ 2.5in. Other than the WMW exhaust, which do you suggest?

Seriously???

Old 09-28-2012 | 09:47 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Invidia man, competitively priced, nice low aggressive sound.

And you have it the other way around, most systems are 2.5....thats the general consensus around here.

Only one that are 3in that I can think of off the top of my head are Alta and the DDM one.....not many ppl use either of those.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Best Performance Exhaust