Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Downsides to accessport

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012 | 01:54 PM
k_h_d
|
6th Gear
Can someone actually address the answered questions? What does it do to the car long term? Does it have any possible negative effects?

Old 09-21-2012 | 01:54 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
I have the basic V1, Dont track my car enough to warrant anything greater. The kw's ride awesome and matched with CA bushings and the evo 2 seats the feedback is amazing. No one has ever complained of harshness but are amazed when i tell em im on coils.

RMW tune is awesome, i had the remote tune for a while and that was pretty spot on, the dyno tune only netted me another 7ft lbs and 4 whp. Runes extremely strong. Turbo was dying(cartridge internal leak on the turbine seal, i guessed it as in traffic sometimes a light puff of oil smoke would come out but it never smoked otherwise), got it replaced along with a cracked turbo manifold(definitely must have happened at deals gap in TN, ran it too hard for too long lol). Didnt even un-flash to get the work done. No one seems to mind the race seats, suspension, exhaust, front mount, intake yatta yatta lol....

Also, the dimsport tune you can uninstall as well and bring back to stock. Just like the access port but takes 2 more minutes or so(feels like an eternity).

They are both flashes and the tune will only be as good as the tuner. The only difference is the AP is a way better tool with its added functions.

Awesome! I won't be tracking my car enough either. Thinking the V1 would suit my needs as well. Dealer never says anything about the coilovers?

The AP is nice. I love it. The heat and 91 octane out here really spoil the performance of this little car. I can't believe how hot my hood gets. The scoop already warped!

Old 09-21-2012 | 01:59 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by k_h_d
Can someone actually address the answered questions? What does it do to the car long term? Does it have any possible negative effects?

Anytime you put more HP and TQ through a car you will put added stress on some drivetrain components. So yes, it has "possible" negative effects. MINI's don't have a perfect reliability record, regardless of a tune or not.

It seems Bigprfed22 nailed it with the "Pay to Play" comment.

Old 09-21-2012 | 02:05 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
Anytime you put more HP and TQ through a car you will put added stress on some drivetrain components. So yes, it has "possible" negative effects. MINI's don't have a perfect reliability record, regardless of a tune or not.

It seems Bigprfed22 nailed it with the "Pay to Play" comment.

Like others have said. Allot also has to do with the driver and how well he takes care of the vehicle. At the end of the day a car is a mechanical device made up of parts that will wear out over time. Anytime you push those parts harder and faster and build up more heat they will eventually give up. I personally feel running stage 1 on the AP and a good maintenance routine my MINI should last a long time.

You need to decide what you want out of your MINI. Stock they are a blast to drive. Personally I was not happy with it stock. Would have loved a JCW with a tune, but that was out of my price range. So for me I installed the AP and enjoy the car.

Old 09-21-2012 | 02:13 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Longer term effects of any tune are premature wear of internal component(bearings, rings etc.) The turbo it self will be running out of its efficient compressor map so that itself will wear prematurely as well.

THE MOST IMPORTANT LONG TERM EFFECT***

TICKETS!

Old 09-21-2012 | 02:18 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Longer term effects of any tune are premature wear of internal component(bearings, rings etc.) The turbo it self will be running out of its efficient compressor map so that itself will wear prematurely as well.

THE MOST IMPORTANT LONG TERM EFFECTS***

TICKETS!

FUN!

Old 09-21-2012 | 02:42 PM
Mindspin311
5th Gear
Probably need new front tires soom. zOMG torques.

Old 09-21-2012 | 02:55 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke

...I personally feel running stage 1 on the AP and a good maintenance routine my MINI should last a long time.
...Stock they are a blast to drive. Personally I was not happy with it stock. Would have loved a JCW with a tune, but that was out of my price range. So for me I installed the AP and enjoy the car.
I agree.

My motor went FUBAR last Sept with the AP on (my brother was driving). Long story short, dealer gave me a loaner, they kept the car for 6 weeks and replaced the motor with no questions asked under warranty. Got the car back and drove it for a day without the AP. Had to put it back on, i just can't drive without it unless maybe if I had a JCW or a MINI that the AP doesn't support.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 09-21-2012 | 03:08 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Piston or timing chain?

Originally Posted by MiniBOL
I agree.

My motor went FUBAR last Sept with the AP on (my brother was driving). Long story short, dealer gave me a loaner, they kept the car for 6 weeks and replaced the motor with no questions asked under warranty. Got the car back and drove it for a day without the AP. Had to put it back on, i just can't drive without it unless maybe if I had a JCW or a MINI that the AP doesn't support.

Old 09-21-2012 | 03:24 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Piston or timing chain?
He took it out for a test couple of weeks after I got my intake and AP. I believe it was a money shift at WOT, 2nd to 1st instead of 2nd to 3rd.
The pistons were not affected according to MINI.

Old 09-21-2012 | 03:40 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Ouch!!! ^^^

Old 09-21-2012 | 03:41 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Over rev full destruction... Piston valve contact talk about the works lol!

Old 09-21-2012 | 03:53 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
To the OP, the warranty is a concern to some, not to others. I did not notice any change in fuel economy, but it has become difficult to keep my foot out of it. The midrange torque improvement is very noticeable, more impressive than the peak numbers that most guys talk about. I have not regretted the $700 that I spent, and would do it again without hesitation.

Mike

Old 09-21-2012 | 04:08 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Over rev full destruction... Piston valve contact talk about the works lol!
LOL. I was just so thankful I got the car back and didn't have to pay anything. I didn't have a good experience buying the car but when it came to any warranty work, they have stepped up/fixed/replaced everything without any hassle.
The dealership has been good to me and my MINI!

Old 09-22-2012 | 01:00 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
LOL. I was just so thankful I got the car back and didn't have to pay anything. I didn't have a good experience buying the car but when it came to any warranty work, they have stepped up/fixed/replaced everything without any hassle.
The dealership has been good to me and my MINI!

What dealership did you purchase your MINI from?