Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Downsides to accessport

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012 | 07:50 AM
k_h_d
|
6th Gear
Downsides to accessport

Wrong forum... Moderators can you move my post to drivetrain?

I have read a lot about the access port. I never hear of any downsides. Are there any? Is there any reliability issues with running the different tunes? I hear that there is more power, better throttle response (less of the on/off switch that sport mode has), and a better clutch feel. There has to be a reason why MINI would not have tuned the car in such a way, what are the downsides? Increase wear on the engine? Fuel economy, emissions?

Old 09-21-2012 | 09:35 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
It voids your warranty if you still have one (and if they detect it was used)

Old 09-21-2012 | 09:40 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
I have no downsides so far with mine.

Originally Posted by k_h_d
Wrong forum... Moderators can you move my post to drivetrain?

I have read a lot about the access port. I never hear of any downsides. Are there any? Is there any reliability issues with running the different tunes? I hear that there is more power, better throttle response (less of the on/off switch that sport mode has), and a better clutch feel. There has to be a reason why MINI would not have tuned the car in such a way, what are the downsides? Increase wear on the engine? Fuel economy, emissions?

Old 09-21-2012 | 10:00 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by axleR56
It voids your warranty if you still have one (and if they detect it was used)
That's why you return your ECU to stock and drive it for a week before you get warranty work done. Alta has already addressed your false statement.

Old 09-21-2012 | 10:02 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jack & Coke
That's why you return your ECU to stock and drive it for a week before you get warranty work done. Alta has already addressed your false statement.

Did you see the part where I said IF THEY DETECT IT WAS USED ? Guess you didnt...

Old 09-21-2012 | 10:49 AM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
any ecu communication can be detected with the bmw isid system as whenever you flash a log is left.

Old 09-21-2012 | 10:50 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Did you see the part where I said IF THEY DETECT IT WAS USED ? Guess you didnt...

....."IF THEY DETECT IT WAS USED"

That issue has already been addressed in the ALTA AP thread.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-thread-2.html

Post #50

But, I don't know everything like you apparently.

Last edited by Jack & Coke; 09-21-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-21-2012 | 10:59 AM
MarinePMI
3rd Gear
Jack & Coke,

Can you enlighten us? I don't mind reading, but 111 pages is a bit much to go through...

Old 09-21-2012 | 11:03 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarinePMI
Jack & Coke,

Can you enlighten us? I don't mind reading, but 111 pages is a bit much to go through...

LOL, I am in the same boat as you

Guess I wasn't that lazy after alll.

Post #50

Last edited by Jack & Coke; 09-21-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-21-2012 | 11:17 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
LOL, I am in the same boat as you

Guess I wasn't that lazy after alll.

Post #50

None of what you said makes my statement false like you claimed. THE DEALER WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF THEY FIND OUT THAT YOU USED ONE. Some dealers may look the other way...until something goes wrong and you try and get a warranty repair that is.

Don't let anybody else tell you otherwise.

Example: Smoking weed is illegal whether you get caught or not...if you don't get caught good for you, if you do then you better be prepared to pay the price

Last edited by axleR56; 09-21-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-21-2012 | 11:22 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
None of what you said makes my statement false like you claimed. THE DEALER WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY IF THEY FIND OUT THAT YOU USED ONE.

Don't let anybody else tell you otherwise.
...again you and your false statements. Here in CA plenty of people legally smoke Marijuana. Called medical marijuana card! I deal with them on a daily basis.

Old 09-21-2012 | 11:24 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
...again you and your false statements. Here in CA plenty of people legally smoke Marijuana. Called medical marijuana card! I deal with them on a daily basis.

OK bro, well when your dealer gives you a medical ACCessport card and says you can use an accessport without voiding your warranty, let me know!

Old 09-21-2012 | 11:40 AM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
OK bro, well when your dealer gives you a medical ACCessport card and says you can use an accessport without voiding your warranty, let me know!
Lighten up a little bit buddy, you are like a 2x4

This OP asked what is the downside to installing an AP. You said if a dealer detects it, you will void your warranty. That's correct. BUT, the dealer will not be able to detect it. That is fact straight from the manufacturer of the product. So how is that really a downside? I simply backed up up my statement.

Obviously you couldn't read between the lines on my other comment. I am on the complete other end of the spectrum when dealing with MM cards.

Old 09-21-2012 | 11:43 AM
axleR56
3rd Gear
You said if a dealer detects it, you will void your warranty. That's correct.
Alta has already addressed your false statement.
Wow, I guess I have a false correct statement!

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:07 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
Jack and Coke:

I invite you to read through this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad-issues.html

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:14 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
This is on a case by case basis, I have never unflashed my vehicle when in service or when having warranty work done. Its up to your service department to go to bat for you for your warranty work, that being said... if your engine disintegrates, i guarantee the bmw ISID tool can easily pull any communication logs the ecu has seen. It will obvioulsy not read "flash tune" but if you have say flashed your software 3x and its only been documented to be flashed 1 x for service.... you're caught(beauties of networked service documentation). Every time you flash your car a communication log is left on the ecu... whether you uninstall the flash, the previous communications are left on the ecu.

And I hardly take "Nope not at all! As long as you uninstall the AccessPORT your dealer will never know." as an official stand point. But hey, gotta pay to play.... just dont be disappointed if any aftermarket company doesn't pay for repairs if your warranty has been denied.

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:17 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Jack and Coke:

I invite you to read through this thread
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad-issues.html
How many times do you want to beat a dead horse. That thread ALTA says the same thing as the other. Dealers can't detect the ALTA tune. Other posters in that thread had different tunes. One poster didn't even realize his car had been flashed in the past. He never said it was from a AP.

I don't care about this thread anymore. You are right ALTA and me are wrong. Happy

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:21 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
read the bottom of this document http://www.altaperformance.com/custo...off_road_notes

disclaimers have been in use for quite some time and MANY companies have small print in one place or another.

Point being "pay to play"

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:21 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
How many times do you want to beat a dead horse. That thread ALTA says the same thing as the other. Dealers can't detect the ALTA tune. Other posters in that thread had different tunes. One poster didn't even realize his car had been flashed in the past. He never said it was from a AP.

I don't care about this thread anymore. You are right ALTA and me are wrong. Happy

My only goal was to inform the OP that installing an AP will void your warranty if the dealer detects it. You told him the dealer can't detect it (which Bigprfed22 says is not true). I supplied a link to a thread in which people say that the dealer DID detect it and denied them warranty work.

You are not helping anybody. The OP asked what a downside was and I told him.I'm not slamming Alta's product, or even saying that it will screw up your car. But, that doesnt mean you're not taking a risk by installing it.

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:31 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
if you read the disclaimer in bold "THE PURCHASER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES, WHICH EXTEND BEYOND THE DESCRIPTION HEREIN. IN NO EVENT SHALL ASMC, LTD. BE LIABLE FOR CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, AND DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE PURCHASE, UNLOADING, HANDLING AND THE USE OF ANY PRODUCTS, ALL OF WHICH ARE WAIVED BY PURCHASER AND IN ANY EVENT, DAMAGES HEREUNDER SHALL BE LIMITED TO A MAXIMUM OF THE PURCHASE PRICE OF THE RESPECTIVE PRODUCT."

So if your engine explodes like a grenade from too much boost... which the engine was never intended to receive.

I,ve been in the game for a lonnnnnng time now, wrenched for a decent time. It's always the same deal no matter where you go. If you know how the service dept. works or any auto dealer for that matter you know your service people can make things happen to a certain extent. lol hell that disclaimer takes all the validity of that statement and chucks it out the window.

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:58 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
My only goal was to inform the OP that installing an AP will void your warranty if the dealer detects it. You told him the dealer can't detect it (which Bigprfed22 says is not true). I supplied a link to a thread in which people say that the dealer DID detect it and denied them warranty work.

You are not helping anybody. The OP asked what a downside was and I told him.I'm not slamming Alta's product, or even saying that it will screw up your car. But, that doesnt mean you're not taking a risk by installing it.

I didn't read the entire thread. I didn't see anyone say that the ALTA TUNE showed up. Even so ALTA already said that it shouldn't show up! ALTA not me.

No offense to Bigprfed22, but I will go with what the manufacturer says not him.

Sure ALTA has a disclaimer to cover their *** what company doesn't these days.

Like I said I don't really care. Dealers usually find any excuse to try and void a major damage warranty.

I am not arguing with you that if detected your warranty is void!!!!!!!!

I was simply stating what ALTA has addressed in response to this question.

Old 09-21-2012 | 12:59 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
None taken buddy,

It all goes back to the pay to play statement. either way get a flash and enjoy the **** out of it!

Old 09-21-2012 | 01:09 PM
Jack & Coke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Bigprfed22
None taken buddy,

It all goes back to the pay to play statement. either way get a flash and enjoy the **** out of it!

Ain't that the truth!

Basically can't have your cake and eat it

I love the assurance of a factory warranty, but can't wait till it's up so I can juice this little MINI up. Such a blast.

What version KW do you have? How is the ride qulaity? I have sport suspension on my car right now....similar?

I live close to Irvine......HOW is the RMW tune treating you? I though about going that route, but opted for the AP since I can flash it back to stock on my own quickly for WARRANTY work LOL

Figured after warranty was up I might get a RMW dyno tune.

Old 09-21-2012 | 01:14 PM
axleR56
3rd Gear
I didn't read the entire thread. I didn't see anyone say that the ALTA TUNE showed up. Even so ALTA already said that it shouldn't show up! ALTA not me.

No offense to Bigprfed22, but I will go with what the manufacturer says not him.

Sure ALTA has a disclaimer to cover their *** what company doesn't these days.

Like I said I don't really care. Dealers usually find any excuse to try and void a major damage warranty.

I am not arguing with you that if detected your warranty is void!!!!!!!!

I was simply stating what ALTA has addressed in response to this question.

I get it man, you were just quoting what Alta said, and I wasn't tryin to give you a hard time...It's just when you tell somebody they are making false statements when they aren't, they are gonna feel compelled to back up their case.

Either way, hope the OP learned something

Old 09-21-2012 | 01:42 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
I have the basic V1, Dont track my car enough to warrant anything greater. The kw's ride awesome and matched with CA bushings and the evo 2 seats the feedback is amazing. No one has ever complained of harshness but are amazed when i tell em im on coils.

RMW tune is awesome, i had the remote tune for a while and that was pretty spot on, the dyno tune only netted me another 7ft lbs and 4 whp. Runes extremely strong. Turbo was dying(cartridge internal leak on the turbine seal, i guessed it as in traffic sometimes a light puff of oil smoke would come out but it never smoked otherwise), got it replaced along with a cracked turbo manifold(definitely must have happened at deals gap in TN, ran it too hard for too long lol). Didnt even un-flash to get the work done. No one seems to mind the race seats, suspension, exhaust, front mount, intake yatta yatta lol....

Also, the dimsport tune you can uninstall as well and bring back to stock. Just like the access port but takes 2 more minutes or so(feels like an eternity).

They are both flashes and the tune will only be as good as the tuner. The only difference is the AP is a way better tool with its added functions.

Ain't that the truth!

Basically can't have your cake and eat it

I love the assurance of a factory warranty, but can't wait till it's up so I can juice this little MINI up. Such a blast.

What version KW do you have? How is the ride qulaity? I have sport suspension on my car right now....similar?

I live close to Irvine......HOW is the RMW tune treating you? I though about going that route, but opted for the AP since I can flash it back to stock on my own quickly for WARRANTY work LOL

Figured after warranty was up I might get a RMW dyno tune.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Downsides to accessport