Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Opinions and Question About Mods (N18)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did a google search for "Mini 07119906392" which is the BMW part number.

Turns out, there's a BMW motorcycle that uses the same bolt in it's shift assembly and there's BMW Motorcycle of Chattanooga that has a site similar to Sewell's... Price was within a dollar of Sewell's, but shipping was 5 bucks. Got two of em.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TonyCheckraise
I did a google search for "Mini 07119906392" which is the BMW part number.

Turns out, there's a BMW motorcycle that uses the same bolt in it's shift assembly and there's BMW Motorcycle of Chattanooga that has a site similar to Sewell's... Price was within a dollar of Sewell's, but shipping was 5 bucks. Got two of em.

Good deal I was gonna say call Sewell and see what they can do, my bet is they'd figure something out. (Next time I guess)

It's just one of those instances where the computer doesn't know better.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
You could just take one of the bolts to a fastener supply store and they can match it with bolts they have in stock.

There should be markings they can look at on the bolt that will tell them the strength rating of the oem bolt, from there they just match the diameter and length.

Dave

Old 06-11-2013, 12:47 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to get make a dyno pull this coming Saturday. I do not have a stock baseline pull, but at least I will have a recorded run with the current mods I have.
Hey Tony,
Curious about your dyno run, how did it go man?

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS2011PT
Hey Tony, Curious about your dyno run, how did it go man? Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
I actually didn't make it out to the open house dyno day. I had some scheduling conflicts with the daughter having two separate softball practices back to back but in different places, so I couldn't disappear for long enough to get it done. I'm hoping to be able to set up another day soon.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:47 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear

I actually didn't make it out to the open house dyno day. I had some scheduling conflicts with the daughter having two separate softball practices back to back but in different places, so I couldn't disappear for long enough to get it done. I'm hoping to be able to set up another day soon.
pcorn:

Old 07-01-2013, 05:48 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
FINALLY!

Made it out to make a dyno run yesterday.

Unfortunately, the mustang dyno software they had did not have calibrations profiles for any year of Mini. So we had to guess. Not thrilled.

Also, it's been brought to my attention that mustang dynos have a tendency to read lower than dyno jets, especially when improperly calibrated.

That being said, 210tq/202hp. Not far off from what I expected, especially since my exhaust still has the factory neck-down choke points.

Attached Thumbnails Opinions and Question About Mods (N18)-image-2283226325.jpg   Opinions and Question About Mods (N18)-image-2761704777.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 09:52 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Cool, thanks for posting this Tony! I was just wondering if these numbers include the overboost function into account.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:14 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Cool, thanks for posting this Tony! I was just wondering if these numbers include the overboost function into account. Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
I don't know for certain. I can't imagine why they wouldn't, but then again I'm not exactly sure what the conditions are that trigger overboost to come on.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:25 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
NM stage 1?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:05 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
NM stage 1?
It's supposed to be Stage 2. I'm assuming in putting down stage 1 numbers because I'm essentially still running a stock downpipe-back exhaust system. Although I cut the 2nd cat and resonator out, I still have the factory piping in place back there with all it's choke-down points. I could really stand to see an improvement with a real catback of larger diameter

Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear

It's supposed to be Stage 2. I'm assuming in putting down stage 1 numbers because I'm essentially still running a stock downpipe-back exhaust system. Although I cut the 2nd cat and resonator out, I still have the factory piping in place back there with all it's choke-down points. I could really stand to see an improvement with a real catback of larger diameter
So because of the choke down points with exhaust, do you expect these numbers to be even lower if you still had just the stage 1 tune?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:25 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Regardless of the dyno or exhaust system setup(you still have the DP) it should have been a lot closer to 220-225whp. That's just weird. You'll have to either try a different dyno other than the mustang or call Jerry up.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:52 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Regardless of the dyno or exhaust system setup(you still have the DP) it should have been a lot closer to 220-225whp. That's just weird. You'll have to either try a different dyno other than the mustang or call Jerry up.
Yeah I'm not exactly sure how much Dyno calibration can affect these readings. I know that the dyno did not have a calibration file for any year of mini, and being a mustang dyno, it needs those numbers to know how much load to apply to the rollers in order to get an accurate reading.

As I said before, my understanding is that mustang dynos read lower than dyno jets even when both properly calibrated. I'm also unsure by what margin this holds true.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:13 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Just curious if you have tried to see what kind of 0-60 times your car can do now after tune and mods if you don't mind sharing? : )

Old 07-04-2013, 02:26 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Just curious if you have tried to see what kind of 0-60 times your car can do now after tune and mods if you don't mind sharing? : ) Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring
I haven't really tried to time it. Believe it or not, I really don't beat on the car. Plus it's garbage on the original run-flat tires anyway, just spins em lol

Old 07-07-2013, 10:31 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
dyno correction factor, gear ratio input, final drive input most certainly DO effect dyno output readings. a lot of dynos have a database of gear ratios for the various model cars in which you can click and choose. some of the time you have to find the ratios out yourself and input them. it's safe to say in this case since its a mustang dyno (aka the heartbreaker) it's likely underestimating the try output.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:42 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bmx045
dyno correction factor, gear ratio input, final drive input most certainly DO effect dyno output readings. a lot of dynos have a database of gear ratios for the various model cars in which you can click and choose. some of the time you have to find the ratios out yourself and input them. it's safe to say in this case since its a mustang dyno (aka the heartbreaker) it's likely underestimating the try output.
I'm gonna look into getting it dyno'd on a properly calibrated setup before I go pointing fingers at Jerry (although I'm sure he'll be more than willing to help).

I know that when I had stage 1 done, it felt faster than stock, and then when I went and had it upped to stage 2, it felt faster than before. So I'm assuming it's the correct tune and an improperly calibrated dyno.

I will definitely keep everyone posted with my results.

Either way, I'm not disappointed. Numbers are numbers. What really matters to me is that I enjoy how the car drives as it is and am still very thrilled with the results I've had as far *** the butt dyno is concerned.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:55 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
I hope everyone had a better Labor Day weekend than I did!!!

Attached Thumbnails Opinions and Question About Mods (N18)-image.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Underside

Attached Thumbnails Opinions and Question About Mods (N18)-image.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What happened?!

Old 09-05-2013, 11:30 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
aww man, what rear-ended you?

Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
Got popped by a 2012 Chevy Cruze. Traffic all stopped hard, I was able to stop without hitting the jeep in front of me, she was unable to stop without hitting me. Luckily, I didn't get pushed I to the Jeep in front of me.

Preliminary estimate is $2700, possibly more once they get it disassembled if anything else is damaged.

The good news is, it happened on Sunday, I filed claim on Monday, went to the body shop and the guy ordered the parts for me on Tuesday without even waiting to hear from her insurance (Allstate) because he's a friend of the family and he's awesome. I talked to the lady at Allstate handling the claim and she's been real nice, I have to take it to get inspected by one of their adjusters on Saturday morning and they'll cut a check to me right there. They're also paying 100% of my rental once I drop the car off for repairs.

Assuming there's no further damage, my body guy said he may be able to have it fixed for less than what they cut the check for. If that's the case, I may be able to use the excess to get two new tires in the back to match the front two I just got a week ago. (Picked up a nail in the sidewall on one of the fronts.)

Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Damn, well hopefully everything came out uninjured from that.

Hopefully you get a sweet rental lol.

I had a similar incident, the initial estimate seemed far to high....these cars tend to reflect BMW prices for repairs haha. But I never got any left over money =[, and I know there was a big chunk of that check that wasn't used.

Seems like you have a chill repair guy....that extra money coming your way would be awfully nice!

Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
I forgot to mention, I ditched my run flats last week. I've got some Goodyear Sport Asymmetricals on it now and it rides so much better!!

BUT! I have a question, I switched from 195/55/16 to 205/50/16 to get a bit wider tire. I did the calculation and the circumference change is almost zero, it's 1.5%

My question is, now that I'm on a 10mm wider tire, should I be running a slightly higher air pressure? I ran 38psi in the original run flats per the owners manual for speeds that "may" be over 100mph.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Opinions and Question About Mods (N18)