Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Question regarding wideband and OBX header

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts
Question regarding wideband and OBX header

Hey, I've bough an OBX header and a wideband last autumn and I'm wondering about the clearance down there to install it, I know it need to be installed at a certain distance from the ports and preferably at 12 o'clock. Does anyone have an OBX header with a wideband and can chime in? I still need the bung to be welded on, so that's why I want to make sure that I don't put it somewhere, but end up having to move it after. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take the car to the person that will be doing the welding and let them look at it, mark it while in place, then remove and weld in the bung. simple enough.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 AM
ColinGreene
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ the wideband should have instructions on how far away from the port it wants to be mounted also.
its always mounted in a bung (that you will need to add)
90* from the flow of exhaust.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Thing is, I know where it's better to install it (and yes, I do have the installations, it's brand new :p), I was wondering about the clearance. I'm not planning on paying to get the header installed by someone else, so that's why I want to know if the clearance is ok to install it on top, so I can get the bung welded. I know OBX headers were popular for a while, so I was sure there would be a bunch of people with it and a wideband. If I test fit it, I pretty much lose the car for a couple days, so that's the part that I don't like.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:49 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
while the distance from the flange may make a difference, the angle (12 o'clock vs. 6 o'clock for example) should make little difference. just look at where you have room. a tape measure might be your friend. it really isn't rocket surgery.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Da_Ghost
5th Gear
Yeah, well, the OBX header not being a ''bolt-on'' updgrade, I don't know if it will come out in the same spot as the oem manifold. That's why I'm asking someone who have an OBX header installed. If it comes out a bit lower, I'll have plenty of space, otherwise I won't. I'm trying to plan ahead, because I'll most likely install it at the garage where I work, there's no way I'll install this crawled under the car at my house when I can use my lift. That's my main concern, as we don't have a proper welder at work (being a dealer) and me not having the proper skills to use one to start with (thank you stupid teacher). So removing the stock manifold, test fitting the header, then removing it to weld the bung and putting it all back together, as well as modifying the bottom part (because I don't want to run the crappy ball joint gasket that came with the header), all this with the small amount of time I can stay at the shop after my shift, well that would be a bit of a pain. Anyway, if I can't find anything, I'll most likely ask a co-worker that isn't working (not enough work at the shop right now) and do the full exhaust setup while I'm at it.