Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Intercoolers: Helix or TyrolSport or Alta?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes sure, I don't mind explaining my reasoning.

I'm sure their FMIC is okay, but I refuse to buy any of their products as I hear their intakes are issues down the road(don't get mad I said it, read threads on here and MINI2), I bought Alta endlinks that were completely junk in my opinion, and also their boost tubes are so cheap they tear and wear very quickly compared to Samco and Forge. Those are just a few of my points. But again, I will stick with other products that do the job better over a period of time.

But again I'm sure their FMIC at Alta is pretty decent, at least it might be the only good thing they have going for them right now, IMO(don't get mad that I stated my reasons, everyone has their own experience and opinions to justify their reasoning behind it).

Old 03-20-2013, 06:54 PM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not mad at all I use NM for my boost tubes and various other company's for my other parts as my FMIC is the only part I have from them I was just curious, I've heard a lot of contradicting things about them. All in all just like to hear other people's opinions and do as much research as possible before I decide on a part

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-20-2013, 07:11 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
minimech, if I were you, stay away and beware of the products. Stick with NM, Forge, Samco, Helix, Tyrolsport, Way, Detroit Tuned, and so on. They actually put good products on their shelves and won't wear and tear your pockets.

What FMIC do you have right now? Or are you in the process of purchasing one?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI4LYF
Can't decide. Data seems to be the same. I'm getting an intercooler so that I can get a stage 2 tune by NM Eng. Not considering Forge because they basically have the same design that Helix has and I consider the Helix one superior. Also wondering why no one really mentions the TyrolSport intercooler...seems like a unique design although it costs almost double but other than that can't figure out why it's so uncommon. The ALTA one looks ok but don't like the idea of trimming but if its a quality intercooler, then why not? Wondering about the quality of the ALTA as opposed to the Helix.

In other words, help me pick one. I just want feedback negative or positive. I will probably buy the one that's most recommended. Btw I've done research and what seems more realistic is the Helix or Alta. i still want feedback on the TyrolSport. Quality wise what am I looking at?

I'm curious to know why you consider the Helix to be the superior IC over the Forge when you say they have similar designs? I personally planned on buying the Forge IC as I consider them a very reputable company (taking nothing from Helix as they are as well) and there are many people that are happy with the Forge, but curious to hear your viewpoint.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Top three to buy should only be the Forge, Helix, and Tyrolsport(if you got the money to spend $1,000).

I don't really consider one or the other to be better than each other. Though Tyrolsport is a different design compared to how the Helix and Forge are similar.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:13 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
I've had the Alta intercooler through 2 different cars and had no issues with it at all minus the black finish is chipped up from at least 50k miles on one car and 25k on my coupe so honestly I've gotten money's worth out of it

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 03-21-2013, 05:01 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ch28Kid
Maybe Forge maximize their profit margin. "Nuff said."

Old 03-21-2013, 05:04 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
I have had a Helix through 2 Minis and about 40k miles with no issues even though I don't like the lack of hard mounting points. It seems to not be a problem.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
I'm curious to know why you consider the Helix to be the superior IC over the Forge when you say they have similar designs?
They did copy our design, but not all of the features that we have put into the Helix stepped core intercooler: cast end tanks, bull-nosed bars (both inside the tanks and across the face) and higher, offset fin density. These features are key to better flow and better cooling. Oh, and the Helix has much greater thermal mass.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
AgBullet, I agree with Rob, Forge is high quality and a reputable company and so is Helix...it's just the same design and I don't want to take anything away from forge. I, too have heard contradicting statements about Alta. It seems they are hit or miss with their products, I don't like that. To answer your question, I truthfully just trust Helix more because of their willingness to know their consumers. They seem to be more interested, which is nice once in a while Forge is a good company as well and I would still buy a product for them but not in this case. Hope that helps

Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by CHKMINI
Anything Alta is junk! The Helix is a quality and proven IC.
Quotes like these are so untrue but yet they continue to be passed around the web as fact, sigh.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
I've been wondering about Alta's recirculating valve. A couple of years ago I tried the Forge and didn't like it. Too much surge-y "da da da da" noises. I DO like the idea that Alta's is mechanically actuated.
It works like every other DV should! It's the only thing I own by Alta but I can say hands down it works as advertised, possibly better. Huge improvement, especially to a tuned car.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:52 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
App double post

Old 04-23-2013, 02:49 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Anyone heard of iron horse coopers FMIC? Price isn't bad...

Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm inclined to try out Evolve's FMIC. From what I've read on another forum, Evolve's recovery time was waaaaay better than the Forge FMIC. That alone entices me. Tyrol is insane, but it takes up a space in the upper grill where I want to install an oil cooler, so Evolve has my vote so far.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
I'm inclined to try out Evolve's FMIC. From what I've read on another forum, Evolve's recovery time was waaaaay better than the Forge FMIC. That alone entices me. Tyrol is insane, but it takes up a space in the upper grill where I want to install an oil cooler, so Evolve has my vote so far.
It may be that an intercooler has a good recovery rate, but that doesn't make it a good intercooler. You can manufacture an intercooler with very low thermal mass, and very little core thickness to have a quick recovery rate. If you have a reason for quick recovery rate (like the stock R53 intercooler), that's great, but there are costs. When you do so, you inherently compromise other desirable effects of a good intercooler, like pressure drop, thermal mass, efficiency and temperature drop.

Unless you have some very unusual, specific needs for your R56 intercooler, you're much better off using a cooler that balances all aspects of charge cooling. That is why we have employed the stepped design which gives both good core thickness (better thermal mass) as well as frontal area (quicker recovery rate). We also feature bull-nosed bars, which increase flow across the face and through the core (better efficiency and less pressure drop), and high fin density (greatest IAT drop). Others have copied certain aspects of our coolers, but none have copied all.

Last edited by Helix13mini; 04-24-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a link to your installation instructions Helix?

Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
Is there a link to your installation instructions Helix?
Here's a vid.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:53 AM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
I have the Helix and love the fit, ease of installation and first class customer service.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:57 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Helix13mini
It may be that an intercooler has a good recovery rate, but that doesn't make it a good intercooler. You can manufacture an intercooler with very low thermal mass, and very little core thickness to have a quick recovery rate. If you have a reason for quick recovery rate (like the stock R53 intercooler), that's great, but there are costs. When you do so, you inherently compromise other desirable effects of a good intercooler, like pressure drop, thermal mass, efficiency and temperature drop.

Unless you have some very unusual, specific needs for your R56 intercooler, you're much better off using a cooler that balances all aspects of charge cooling. That is why we have employed the stepped design which gives both good core thickness (better thermal mass) as well as frontal area (quicker recovery rate). We also feature bull-nosed bars, which increase flow across the face and through the core (better efficiency and less pressure drop), and high fin density (greatest IAT drop). Others have copied certain aspects of our coolers, but none have copied all.
I am a fan of Helix, don't get me wrong, I went from Helix to Forge, and now contemplating my next iteration. I really should have done testing on each core I had so I could show all the necessary data. If anyone wants to send me their unit for a week I can definitely compile the data.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone on this forum have this intercooler from DuelL AG?

Just wondering, thats all.

P.S. I have Helix FMIC for 2 years now and it was worth it.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Almost looks oem to me... Like they just painted their logo onto the oem one?

Old 04-29-2013, 08:11 AM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
I have a Helix FMIC. Just put it on this weekend. What a difference. It's great and I got it from a group buy for just $579 They run the group buys a few times a year it looks like. Best deal ever

Old 05-04-2013, 03:33 PM
wurdup
Neutral
ok stupid question but when you put intercoolers and any other performance mod do you need to remap? Also the is the water-to-air IC an alternative for fmic? ie you wouldnt have both.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
You don't need a remap to have an intercooler work as it is a direct bolt-on. However their usefulness is greatly increased with a tune. Meaning they work better in conjunction with a tune but not limited to a tune. Not sure about the water-meth question sorry

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Intercoolers: Helix or TyrolSport or Alta?