Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics RaceChip Ultimate Tune Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013 | 04:00 AM
digolfa
3rd Gear
Stay tuned man. I'm gonna run my 09 JCW on the dyno with the Ultimate Chip plug pulled and installed and see what difference it makes.

Old 06-04-2013 | 01:05 PM
martincohn
2nd Gear
Yes at this point I know I'll just stir the pot, but since you seemed so concerned with accuracy...

Originally Posted by Cambion
See, this is why some of us post to threads like this. To keep misinformation like this from floating around.

... Misinformation, really? ...snip...

...I would refer anyone who cares to the various stock dynojet charts in this thread. You can use the information there to draw your own conclusions. (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n18-minis.html).

Every dyno is different even two Dynojets aren't going to give you the same numbers.

...snip...

The one I happened to find was an All4 JCW

...snip...

so take with an extra grain of salt but that one on PAW's Dynojet pulled 193 stock.

Yup so you question different dynos for lack of consistency then pull one out of no where from a different region of the country, then take data from different models (that have different HP specs), 2 vs 4 wheel drive, then make comparisons and draw conclusions from that. That definitely makes you the winner!.

I have to admit that I'm vaguely curious as to why one would take the car to a dyno and, given how simple it is to remove the RaceChip, why not do it right and get the stock "before" as well as the "after"?

Sorry I went to dyno the car for my purposes not yours. Had other things to do with my $$ and my time. You want more dyno time and data logs, just send me the $$ and I'll get right on that for ya. NOT

Old 06-04-2013 | 01:52 PM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
Disagree with that argument that because of the front wheel and all wheel drive. How does one get 255whp and 310wtq then on a Clubman JCW? I'd love the answer to that. It's the same engine in terms of all N18s on the 2011+, so what's the difference? Power output wouldn't be determined by front or all wheel. Same engine, same results(depends on mods and tune).

Back to this chip, look forward to seeing the person above getting their dyno done!

Old 06-04-2013 | 09:29 PM
slack3r
Neutral
Guys,

This is probably the best forum to be in regards to the prince engine. But these discussions are pointless.

For some of you let me tell you my reasoning as to why a RaceChip would be a buy and not a let go. I live in a somewhat isolated place in Brazil, there are no tuners available nearby and to take the car to a place where a tuner could make it happen is just impossible. Hence, I am considering pulling the trigger on one of those. As the USA is huge, I believe others would end up in the same situation as me.

For those who bought it, as some have stated, it would actually help if you guys could do two dyno runs. One before and one after, preferable on the same day. That is the good part about this box, the removal is instant. But if you guys cannot do it ($$$ or whatever) that's fine but it doesn't help the rest of the community at all.

That's my 2 cents. I am following these threads closely as I need to make a decision asap.

Old 06-05-2013 | 05:35 AM
Cambion
1st Gear
Originally Posted by martincohn
Yes at this point I know I'll just stir the pot, but since you seemed so concerned with accuracy...
You're right, you're just "stirring the pot". You're quoting a couple of snippets and attempting to take them out of context while failing to address any of the issues in your claims. All you're doing with that post is trying to redirect from the misinformation in your posts. You made an absurd claim of 30whp gain from installing this product and I tried to gently refute it for the benefit of anyone who might come along doing research. Instead of acknowledging your mistakes you went on the attack.

The thread full of data that I pointed to is the best available source of general "ballpark" data for the N18 in S and JCW forms and serves to inform what folks might expect from this engine. It is, as I stated originally, imperfect for the purposes of comparing A to B but it's what we have and it's close enough to prove that, for example the stock JCW N18 doesn't put out 170whp nor does it put out 208whp, both claims that you make in previous posts in this thread.

Once again, I'm glad you're happy with your choice to purchase this product but since you refuse to provide actual data don't get all bent out of shape when you post inaccurate data and someone comes along and points out that your claims are bogus.

Old 06-05-2013 | 05:38 AM
Cambion
1st Gear
Originally Posted by digolfa
Stay tuned man. I'm gonna run my 09 JCW on the dyno with the Ultimate Chip plug pulled and installed and see what difference it makes.
Thanks Digolfa, I know I'm not the only one who is very much looking forward to seeing your data!

Old 06-05-2013 | 05:42 AM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Disagree with that argument that because of the front wheel and all wheel drive. How does one get 255whp and 310wtq then on a Clubman JCW? I'd love the answer to that. It's the same engine in terms of all N18s on the 2011+, so what's the difference? Power output wouldn't be determined by front or all wheel. Same engine, same results(depends on mods and tune).

Back to this chip, look forward to seeing the person above getting their dyno done!
There is more drivetrain loss in awd. So if you pulled a n18 out of a awd and fwd cars put it on an engine dyno....they would make the same power. If you put both cars on a regular dyno...same day....same dyno....same settings...the fwd car will have more power to the wheels

Old 06-05-2013 | 06:34 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bdrecksage

There is more drivetrain loss in awd. So if you pulled a n18 out of a awd and fwd cars put it on an engine dyno....they would make the same power. If you put both cars on a regular dyno...same day....same dyno....same settings...the fwd car will have more power to the wheels
Thank you for agreeing. That way my point. They'd make the same power if they had same mods and everything including condition of the weather.

Old 06-05-2013 | 06:36 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Cambion

You're right, you're just "stirring the pot". You're quoting a couple of snippets and attempting to take them out of context while failing to address any of the issues in your claims. All you're doing with that post is trying to redirect from the misinformation in your posts. You made an absurd claim of 30whp gain from installing this product and I tried to gently refute it for the benefit of anyone who might come along doing research. Instead of acknowledging your mistakes you went on the attack.

The thread full of data that I pointed to is the best available source of general "ballpark" data for the N18 in S and JCW forms and serves to inform what folks might expect from this engine. It is, as I stated originally, imperfect for the purposes of comparing A to B but it's what we have and it's close enough to prove that, for example the stock JCW N18 doesn't put out 170whp nor does it put out 208whp, both claims that you make in previous posts in this thread.

Once again, I'm glad you're happy with your choice to purchase this product but since you refuse to provide actual data don't get all bent out of shape when you post inaccurate data and someone comes along and points out that your claims are bogus.
How much whp you think the N18 makes?

Old 06-05-2013 | 08:11 AM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
Thank you for agreeing. That way my point. They'd make the same power if they had same mods and everything including condition of the weather.
you missed the point i think...if its the same model car/engine, but one is going through awd and one through fwd...the fwd will have more power at the wheels because of less drivetrain loss.

Old 06-05-2013 | 08:29 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
I said same engine mods, same results.

Now if we are talking specs of 0-60 and numbers of how fast it'll go of course the outcome will be different. As for the tunes PAW and RennTech put out, the Countryman S all4 and a MCS hardtop performed similarly with the same mods.

Hopefully that makes more sense now.

Old 06-05-2013 | 08:49 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
No you're still missing the point. An AWD and FWD car with the same engine and mods will make the same power at the crank. However, the AWD will make less power at the wheels, which is where the dyno reads from, because the AWD system is more parasitic to engine power than a FWD system. That's why you hear tuners talk about a 15-20% drivetrain loss for AWD card when reading numbers (just picked percentages so don't go arguing that those numbers are bogus people).

Old 06-05-2013 | 08:55 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
I still disagree with your statement. Agree to disagree lol. But I get your point. I can't argue too much right now but if I get a chance later, I would love to explain my reasoning and for you to give me an explanation(I'm at work right now).

Old 06-05-2013 | 10:04 AM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
I still disagree with your statement. Agree to disagree lol. But I get your point. I can't argue too much right now but if I get a chance later, I would love to explain my reasoning and for you to give me an explanation(I'm at work right now).
there isnt anything to disagree about...physics is physics. if the power is sent through more objects...those objects all take more power to move..hence drivetrain loss. now..if these people with awd minis are running on a 2wd dyno in fwd mode...if that is possible(not very up to date on awd minis, but i know certain awd cars car be converted to rwd or fwd to run on dynos)...then your point is valid, but if they are running awd on a awd dyno...there will be more drivetrain loss...no way around it.

a awd mini will always make less power to the wheels then a fwd mini giving all else being equal.

Old 06-05-2013 | 10:20 AM
RobMuntean
|
6th Gear
Actually that's what I was gonna say lol. That was easy enough.

Though the 3rd gens All4 system should be allowed to switch from all wheel drive to front like some SUVs can do.

Old 06-05-2013 | 12:39 PM
Rogm
1st Gear
Originally Posted by slack3r
Guys,

This is probably the best forum to be in regards to the prince engine. But these discussions are pointless.

For some of you let me tell you my reasoning as to why a RaceChip would be a buy and not a let go. I live in a somewhat isolated place in Brazil, there are no tuners available nearby and to take the car to a place where a tuner could make it happen is just impossible. Hence, I am considering pulling the trigger on one of those. As the USA is huge, I believe others would end up in the same situation as me.

For those who bought it, as some have stated, it would actually help if you guys could do two dyno runs. One before and one after, preferable on the same day. That is the good part about this box, the removal is instant. But if you guys cannot do it ($$$ or whatever) that's fine but it doesn't help the rest of the community at all.

That's my 2 cents. I am following these threads closely as I need to make a decision asap.
Haha! tem carros em manaus? just kidding!

Old 06-06-2013 | 11:10 AM
ggunner
2nd Gear
I installed my RaceChip from Mini Dynamics just over a weekago. I have to be honest I was still skeptical after reading forums regarding chips and how they don't deliver and even possibly cause issues with a check engine light and the warranty
I spoke to MiniDynamics and they provided me a lot of insight, he put all my concerns to rest.
Installed the Race Chip on my 2012 R56, I was expecting it to take awhile, well it took under 10 minutes, and I think it took me longer to open the box!

Went for my first drive, all I can say is WOW, it has unleashed the beast in the Mini. The power gain in every gear has increased drastically very smooth all they way to the red line! The sound is fantastic
It's a great design where it can be removed in a couple of minutes, when its time to go to the dealer for service.
I am running the NM down pipe back exhaust system and the NM High flow intake.
Its a great system and provides a ton of power to the Mini and shows what the Mini is really capable of!
I have not had any problems at all.
If you are skeptical call mini Dynamics and they will answer your questions.

Graham

Old 06-06-2013 | 11:47 AM
bdrecksage
2nd Gear
everyone who "buys" this always makes their posts seem like a scripted commercial for the product instead of an actual person who bought something. very skeptical.....

Old 06-06-2013 | 11:47 AM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ggunner
I installed my RaceChip from Mini Dynamics just over a weekago. I have to be honest I was still skeptical after reading forums regarding chips and how they don't deliver and even possibly cause issues with a check engine light and the warranty
I spoke to MiniDynamics and they provided me a lot of insight, he put all my concerns to rest.
Installed the Race Chip on my 2012 R56, I was expecting it to take awhile, well it took under 10 minutes, and I think it took me longer to open the box!

Went for my first drive, all I can say is WOW, it has unleashed the beast in the Mini. The power gain in every gear has increased drastically very smooth all they way to the red line! The sound is fantastic
It's a great design where it can be removed in a couple of minutes, when its time to go to the dealer for service.
I am running the NM down pipe back exhaust system and the NM High flow intake.
Its a great system and provides a ton of power to the Mini and shows what the Mini is really capable of!
I have not had any problems at all.
If you are skeptical call mini Dynamics and they will answer your questions.

Graham
Graham,

You have the Auto or Manual tranny. ?

Old 06-06-2013 | 11:49 AM
ggunner
2nd Gear
Hi Terry,
I have the Manual.
Graham

Old 06-06-2013 | 12:18 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Hi Terry,
I have the Manual.
Graham
Thank-You Sir.

I'm following this to see if anyone installs that with the 6-Sp. Auto-Tranny in the R56.

Old 06-06-2013 | 12:27 PM
ggunner
2nd Gear
Check with Scott at Mini Dynamics, i know he has it installed on a 6spd Auto.

Old 06-06-2013 | 12:30 PM
tigerhonaker
4th Gear
Check with Scott at Mini Dynamics, i know he has it installed on a 6spd Auto.
Thanks

Old 06-06-2013 | 12:39 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by bdrecksage
everyone who "buys" this always makes their posts seem like a scripted commercial for the product instead of an actual person who bought something. very skeptical.....
Anybody notice they are all new NAM members also. Just saying.

Old 06-06-2013 | 12:50 PM
InMyMini
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Braminator
Anybody notice they are all new NAM members also. Just saying.

But it looks like they really know their stuff:

SOLD

K&N Typhoon Cold intake system
Fits all Mini Cooper S 2007-2010

Used for 2 months
adds 11hp at the wheels <<<<<<

Perfect condition
$175.00 retails for $254
call me at 307-630-7272
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...rod=69-2004TTK

So if that adds 11hp at the wheels and the chip adds 30hp what else can we add to break 230hp ?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain The OFFICIAL MINI Dynamics RaceChip Ultimate Tune Thread