Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Putting Car on Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Putting Car on Jack Stands

There are only 4 lifting points on the car so I don't understand how to put the car on jack stands when you have to use the jack to lift the car. Sorry I am an amateur. I don't think you can jack from the rear because the exhaust goes right through the center. Is there any other jacking points not stated in the manual? Thanks!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 05-08-2013, 09:38 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
I usually put a 2x4 between the jack points under the side skirt and jack from there. It seems to work pretty well. I've also jacked on the frame near the front, which also works well provided you find a good spot.

I'm not sure why you started the thread in this subforum. You'd be more likely to get responses in a more general subforum, not the modifications subforum.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:26 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
What are you working on, how many wheels do you need in the air at once? I normally jack up one side with the front jack pad, then put a jack stand under the front subframe. I usually then just leave the jack in place, with the stand as a safety. You can get a jack stand on the rear subframe, but I don't feel that good about it. I trust my floor jack, and use one of the aluminum inserts in the jack pads.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2008-C...Pad/ES2603147/

Have fun,
Mike

Old 05-11-2013, 06:09 AM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
I usually put a 2x4 between the jack points under the side skirt and jack from there. It seems to work pretty well. I've also jacked on the frame near the front, which also works well provided you find a good spot.

I'm not sure why you started the thread in this subforum. You'd be more likely to get responses in a more general subforum, not the modifications subforum.
This is what the vast majority of us do. There is a little lip just inside of the frame rail; put the 2x4 a few inches farther down from the front jack point (make sure it's far enough down from the front jack point that you can get your jack in), and slide it in as far as it will go--that lip will stop it from going in too far. The jack points themselves are on the frame rail, as long as your 2 x4 is on it you're good. The bottom line is make sure you slide the 2 x 4 in all the way onto the frame rail, and you want to put the jack more toward the front of the car than the back; that's where all the weight is.

Leaving the jack on the jack point, even with a "safety" jack under the subframe, is less than ideal from a stability standpoint--it's not good for the jack either.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 AM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
Of interest, Sears used to sell a device that raised the car and placed a jack stand at that same spot. Called 'Lift-N-Secure' or something like that. There must have been liability problems, because it quickly disappeared from their stores and catalogs. But I thought it was the ideal solution to exactly what the OP is describing.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:40 AM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck

Here's a step by step with pictures from Blimey Cabrio. Scroll down to the April 28th post titled "How a stud lifts a MINI". While you're there, spend some time browsing his blog. There is a lot going on in there with some great ideas from Paul - with pictures.
http://www.blimeycabrio.com/?cat=3&paged=2