Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Will I fail smog testing with these mods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 11:28 PM
Systemlord
|
6th Gear
Will I fail smog testing with these mods?

Basicly I need to know what I can and can not get away with modding in California, one of the most strict emissions testing states that I know of. I have heard of some members on this forum say how they removed the second cat (catalytic converter) to improve exhaust flow, is this illegal or is it legal? What about the turbo downpipes with the delete installed, my smog will be due in August and don't want any surprises whether visual inspection or tailpipe tests!

Thanks in advance!

Systemlord

Old 05-29-2013 | 04:34 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
No first-hand knowledge but I would guess getting rid of either or both cats in Kalifornia would be illegal and possibly be found in a SMOG inspection. I deleted my 2nd cat and resonator at at WOT merging onto an interstate, the sent of the exhaust is a bit stronger than it was before I cut it out. I still have the stock downpipe and cat.

Last edited by yetti96; 05-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2013 | 04:50 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Basicly I need to know what I can and can not get away with modding in California, one of the most strict emissions testing states that I know of. I have heard of some members on this forum say how they removed the second cat (catalytic converter) to improve exhaust flow, is this illegal or is it legal? What about the turbo downpipes with the delete installed, my smog will be due in August and don't want any surprises whether visual inspection or tailpipe tests!
Removing or modifying converters in North America is a federal crime (really).

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

All vehicle emission or engine mods in CA require a CARB sticker or plaque.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Yes, even adding an aftermarket intake - without being CARB certified will cause you to fail smog, and pay a fine for illegal modification.

Old 05-29-2013 | 10:32 AM
Systemlord
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by danjreed
Removing or modifying converters in North America is a federal crime (really).

http://www.epa.gov/OMS/cert/factshts/catcvrts.pdf

All vehicle emission or engine mods in CA require a CARB sticker or plaque.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Yes, even adding an aftermarket intake - without being CARB certified will cause you to fail smog, and pay a fine for illegal modification.
Ok, good to know! Would an NM Hi-flow Turbo Outlet Pipe need a CARB sticker?

Old 05-29-2013 | 11:08 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord

Ok, good to know! Would an NM Hi-flow Turbo Outlet Pipe need a CARB sticker?
Someone here in Cali legitimately passed the sniffer test while being cat-less. Obviously visual will fail.

I believe as long as the Carb sticker is on the intake, that pipe will be fine. NM made sure the whole kit was legal in this state.

Old 05-30-2013 | 06:07 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
There is no way on earth that you will pass a sniffer test without a cat. It will pass with the 1 cat in the downpipe, as all JCW's don't have the second cat in the exhaust.

Unless you have the CARB EO# on the intake,(or any other part or subsystem), if it doesn't look stock, it will fail visual. Heck, if the tech is having a bad day it may fail for no reason. They just don't care. If it fails, it goes to a referee, and they sort it out.

If I owned a shop in Cali, I would fire on the spot, any employee that passed a friend, or took shortcuts, or looked the other way... It's too big a penalty, to **** around with. (I may not agree with it, but that's the way that state is, so deal with it, or move...)

Old 05-31-2013 | 11:37 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
There is no way on earth that you will pass a sniffer test without a cat. It will pass with the 1 cat in the downpipe, as all JCW's don't have the second cat in the exhaust.

Unless you have the CARB EO# on the intake,(or any other part or subsystem), if it doesn't look stock, it will fail visual. Heck, if the tech is having a bad day it may fail for no reason. They just don't care. If it fails, it goes to a referee, and they sort it out.

If I owned a shop in Cali, I would fire on the spot, any employee that passed a friend, or took shortcuts, or looked the other way... It's too big a penalty, to **** around with. (I may not agree with it, but that's the way that state is, so deal with it, or move...)
I'll look for that post, he passed the sniffer portion being catless, just barely. Even posted up the numbers and legal limit. Like you said, visual will fail quick.

Regardless though it's still a failed test. You have to meet all the requirements.

Old 05-31-2013 | 01:20 PM
jtack
4th Gear
Can they really see the cat on the downpipe that is hidden from the heatshield...I don't think so. And I can tell you from the pain in the butt it is to take it off that they will not be performing that task to see if it is under there. As far as the sniffer test, not sure if it means anything or not but I am not running a cat on the dp or the secondary cat and my car stinks.

Old 05-31-2013 | 06:05 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
My truck failed a CA smog test on the visual - I had a Volant air-box instead of the stock unit - the tech noticed it right away. I found a stock air-box and installed it, but my truck didn't pass because I just changed the battery with a new one and the drive cycles needed to be performed. After a week doing the drive cycle step by step I finally cleared the codes and it passed. It's a real pain in California to mod your vehicle if the parts don't have a CARB sticker.

Old 05-31-2013 | 07:18 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
I have a aftermarket exhaust and the only CAT i have is on the downpipe and i also have a CAI and i passed the smog test no problem. i think as long as you have the cat on the downpipe your good to go.

Old 05-31-2013 | 07:26 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jordan.burks
I have a aftermarket exhaust and the only CAT i have is on the downpipe and i also have a CAI and i passed the smog test no problem. i think as long as you have the cat on the downpipe your good to go.
Are the smog requirements in Washington State the same as in California? Down here they are very strict and stuff that slides in other states don't always pass here.

Old 06-01-2013 | 12:11 AM
Systemlord
|
6th Gear
My brothers 2001 Chevy truck passed smog for 6 years and all of a sudden failed the visual, the header wasn't on the approved list any longer like it was before. Cash in hand fixed that problem, not saying I agree with my brother though. To risky for my blood!

Old 06-01-2013 | 02:06 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
Are the smog requirements in Washington State the same as in California? Down here they are very strict and stuff that slides in other states don't always pass here.
You're probably right, it seemed like a pretty simple test when i went in. they didnt even put anything on the tailpipe, they just plugged into my obd2 sensor.

Old 06-01-2013 | 02:36 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
You're probably right, it seemed like a pretty simple test when i went in. they didnt even put anything on the tailpipe, they just plugged into my obd2 sensor.
They take it very serious in Ca - I got failed for a plastic box that housed my air cleaner before the supercharger - how much is that going to affect my smog control?

California sends bogus vehicles to smog stations to see if they can bust shops that let things slide, so just about all the places are too scared of losing their smog license to take a change.

If I'm not mistaken California's vehicle emissions standards are the toughest in the country.

Old 06-01-2013 | 04:35 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
They take it very serious in Ca - I got failed for a plastic box that housed my air cleaner before the supercharger - how much is that going to affect my smog control?

California sends bogus vehicles to smog stations to see if they can bust shops that let things slide, so just about all the places are too scared of losing their smog license to take a change.

If I'm not mistaken California's vehicle emissions standards are the toughest in the country.
that sucks! move north hahaha

Old 06-01-2013 | 04:55 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
that sucks! move north hahaha
I can't - I love the weather in California!

Old 01-06-2015 | 12:02 PM
weasel
1st Gear
My truck failed a CA smog test on the visual - I had a Volant air-box instead of the stock unit - the tech noticed it right away. I found a stock air-box and installed it, .

Think this might fail me too. Guess I'll find out in a couple hours.

Is it hard to change it back to stock? I just picked up my Mini and haven't done any work on it yet. Looks easy though

Old 01-06-2015 | 01:06 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Does anyone know any Carb approved second cat delete down pipe?

I was looking to gain a little HP and add a little more sound (Not a lot though, the stock exhaust in sport mode sounds fairly good to me)

Old 01-06-2015 | 02:05 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Rckstrgrl21
Does anyone know any Carb approved second cat delete down pipe?

I was looking to gain a little HP and add a little more sound (Not a lot though, the stock exhaust in sport mode sounds fairly good to me)

I think you mean catless down pipe that is Carb approved? No one makes a carb approved catless down pipe.

On my FJCW, the second cat is not monitored so I removed that along with the resonator.

You can always just remove the second cat (if you have it) which just right after the flex pipe.

Old 01-06-2015 | 02:07 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Where are you guys taking your cars to get smogged??? I haven't had to smog, but don't think I'll have an issues passing anyways since I'll install stock parts when the time comes.

Old 01-06-2015 | 02:15 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Where are you guys taking your cars to get smogged??? I haven't had to smog, but don't think I'll have an issues passing anyways since I'll install stock parts when the time comes.

I won't have to worry about smog for the next 6 years..

Old 01-06-2015 | 02:26 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ovrclck
I won't have to worry about smog for the next 6 years..
Well, I have 2 years left, so it doesn't bother me either way, but didn't realize smogging was such a PITA. I guess when you know shops/people it's easier to pass visual by overlooking that bit and then having stock dp on, I know I should pass fine.

Old 01-06-2015 | 02:32 PM
Ovrclck
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Well, I have 2 years left, so it doesn't bother me either way, but didn't realize smogging was such a PITA. I guess when you know shops/people it's easier to pass visual by overlooking that bit and then having stock dp on, I know I should pass fine.
Very true. Even with a aftermarket dp, shouldn't be too hard to put the stock one back on. Does it suck? Yes, hassle every two years? Sure. But it shouldn't take no more than an hr or so.

Old 01-06-2015 | 03:10 PM
TBRoye
4th Gear
I know people here in CA and I have done, that put every think back to stock for the test and then put it back after. I have seen engines changed, Cams, heater intake/.carbs/injectors. It depends on how much time and money you have and want to spend. In the last few years they have roadside checks and the set up on on ramps to get the reading as you come on freeway, that supposedly is to check air quality. The roadside checks are for cheaters. I used to make my own pipes to replace the Cats on my cars until it just became to much of a hassle to replace them every year, not it not every year and I am to old and don't like getting on my back under the vehicle to change this them. One thing I didn't have to replace the CATs they would last the life of the vehicle and they did run better especially the small engined ones.

tom

Old 01-06-2015 | 03:14 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ovrclck
Very true. Even with a aftermarket dp, shouldn't be too hard to put the stock one back on. Does it suck? Yes, hassle every two years? Sure. But it shouldn't take no more than an hr or so.
yup yup
Originally Posted by TBRoye
I know people here in CA and I have done, that put every think back to stock for the test and then put it back after. I have seen engines changed, Cams, heater intake/.carbs/injectors. It depends on how much time and money you have and want to spend. In the last few years they have roadside checks and the set up on on ramps to get the reading as you come on freeway, that supposedly is to check air quality. The roadside checks are for cheaters.

tom
roadside checks. you mean checkpoints? from what i've been told they are not mandatory and you have the right to refuse. knock on wood, i haven't come by any of these, so i don't know how it'd work out for me, but at this point, not too worried.