Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bmx045
When I installed mine I simply shut the car down, closed the door, waited for the radiator fan to stop running and plugged it in, restarted and drove off, no problems 1000 miles later.... No cel's, I did scan and found a subcode(probably a chassis code) that stated speedometer speed implausible, I suspect it was from the can tool using the speedo and reading 160mph in 2nd gear, lol.
I left my hood unlocked but locked the rest of the car and waited 6 mins then installed it and off to the races I was. Regardless I'm always in sport mode.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:06 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Just watch out for uneven pavement lol
Tell me about it, I went a little too fast around a corner and I got a little surprise from the road haha.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Kind of curious why such a nice, simple, conservative tuning option such as the JB+ was not released for the N14's? It's awesome to see the N18 crowd get a solid tuning option, but if the N14 is so much easier to crack, why can't we have one? lol
My god, give it up already!

Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM
Tb311
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know if the issues with the 2011 were solved? Also can someone explain what the actual CAN tool does and can everything be reverted back to stock afterwards with out the dealer noticing anything was done to the car?

Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Hodaka
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tb311
Anyone know if the issues with the 2011 were solved? Also can someone explain what the actual CAN tool does and can everything be reverted back to stock afterwards with out the dealer noticing anything was done to the car?
2011 question was answered in this thread or the other - no longer a problem (mine is a 2011). The CAN tool features are discussed elsewhere, including burgertuning.com - basically, it hijacks your gauges to give you boost/timing, etc. And it's only active when plugged in - so, no dealer issues.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:33 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tb311
Anyone know if the issues with the 2011 were solved?
it turned out not to be a 2011 issue. it was just a coincidence that a couple/few 2011s got the same of batch JB+'s that threw a code. that issue was resolved a while ago. it's been "all systems go" since then.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Kind of curious why such a nice, simple, conservative tuning option such as the JB+ was not released for the N14's? It's awesome to see the N18 crowd get a solid tuning option, but if the N14 is so much easier to crack, why can't we have one? lol
Because the same "trick" we're using to fool the DME with the N18 doesn't work for the N14. We may do an N14 tune at some point in the future. But for now we have limited resources to focus on the MINI market and decided to concentrate them on the getting the N18 JB+ launched.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:06 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Ok here are some data comparing stock tune versus JB+. First this is not a scientific study, the data was taken using DashCommand and an iPhone. I've tried to keep all things the same except for the JB+ install but it isn't perfect so take it for what it is.

I have 150 miles on the car since the install.

Both runs were done under approximately the same weather conditions and both were rolling starts in 2nd gear (the car is an automatic).

As expected the boost is higher but it also looks like it spools faster. It sure does feel like it spools faster. The rolling 5-60 MPH times are noticeably faster also. Driving in traffic the power also seems like it is always there. Damn now I want more.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:08 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
I'd love some 1/4mi times with the jb+, anyone have plans to go to the track?

Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Ok here are some data comparing stock tune versus JB+. First this is not a scientific study, the data was taken using DashCommand and an iPhone. I've tried to keep all things the same except for the JB+ install but it isn't perfect so take it for what it is.

I have 150 miles on the car since the install.

Both runs were done under approximately the same weather conditions and both were rolling starts in 2nd gear (the car is an automatic).

As expected the boost is higher but it also looks like it spools faster. It sure does feel like it spools faster. The rolling 5-60 MPH times are noticeably faster also. Driving in traffic the power also seems like it is always there. Damn now I want more.

Yeah, take that for what it's worth...according to your graph, installing the JB shaved one and half seconds to 60....

Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Yeah, take that for what it's worth...according to your graph, installing the JB shaved one and half seconds to 60....
I wish. Since it was a rolling start there is a large error associated with the "start" time.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
Well I cleared my codes, turned out to be a maf sensor code. Let the car sit for over a half hour this time with the hood popped, doors locked and the keys in my house. Installed the JB+ and started her up. No code, drove about 35 miles like I normally do, very very spirited driver to begin with. Doing some second thru sixth pulls on some highways ('13 mcs manual) Did not boost past 13psi (I have a defi racer gauge set up) also did not feel any faster at all. Tomorrow morning on my way to work I will hopefully see a difference. Just giving an update for everyone else.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:53 PM
MrRaD
2nd Gear
Subscribed, I need to try one of these when available!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:40 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chandler5192
Well I cleared my codes, turned out to be a maf sensor code. Let the car sit for over a half hour this time with the hood popped, doors locked and the keys in my house. Installed the JB+ and started her up. No code, drove about 35 miles like I normally do, very very spirited driver to begin with. Doing some second thru sixth pulls on some highways ('13 mcs manual) Did not boost past 13psi (I have a defi racer gauge set up) also did not feel any faster at all. Tomorrow morning on my way to work I will hopefully see a difference. Just giving an update for everyone else.
Give it at least 100 miles to adapt.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:21 PM
jomama
4th Gear
my car threw a 2778 code when i pulled the jb+ off without letting the dme go to sleep. not sure if that's what you saw.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:41 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
My god, give it up already!
So sorry I got you riled up with my question. What exactly do I need to give up by asking a question because I like the way this product looks? BMS answered my question directly without being a cunthead. Thanks Terry.
"pidge" take a breath.

Old 09-25-2013, 09:51 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
So sorry I got you riled up with my question. What exactly do I need to give up by asking a question because I like the way this product looks? BMS answered my question directly without being a cunthead. Thanks Terry. "pidge" take a breath.
Relax, lately everyone on this site has a stick in their you know what. A lot of the N14 guys want this, just have to be patient a little. I'm sure Terry will do something for you guys soon:-).

Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
I guess if a ton of people are bitching about it, you can be annoyed. But I was simply asking a question for BMS to answer. And guess what? THEY DID! regardless of Sally sissy pants not liking that I asked.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Hodaka
2nd Gear
Did you contact Burger tech support about this? Be interested to hear what they suggest - let us know.

Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 PM
rhygin
3rd Gear
Not to get to technical, but to make that comparison, the graphs really need to be normalized so that the car is traveling the same speed at time = 0 for both cases. These graphs appear to show improvements, but essentially the JB+ graph has a head start (and it's impossible to tell how much from these plots).

Edit: . . .and I see Cerenkov already made this point. Sorry for cluttering the thread.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:51 PM
pepperwhiteknight
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
5 days and 494 miles after installing the JB+ no cel light on the dash. Do I really need a tool such as the BMS can tool to make sure there are no codes?

I need to take my car into the dealer for warranty brakes.
Is there an adaptation period after removing the JB+?
Then when I put it back on is there another adaptation period?

Old 09-26-2013, 03:19 AM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
I did not contact Terry yet. I figured I would ask here first before I began to bug him. We shall see if any changes happen on my way home from work, still nothing on my way in this morning. Open highway at 5am is a good way to test haha still 12ish psi. I'm just trying to keep everyone updated just so if this is happening to someone else they know they are not alone.

Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 AM
pidge1114
Banned
So sorry I got you riled up with my question. What exactly do I need to give up by asking a question because I like the way this product looks? BMS answered my question directly without being a cunthead. Thanks Terry.
"pidge" take a breath.
I just find it amusing that everyone with a N14 continually demands this be developed for them, and Terry continually says he's not right now. EVERY TIME. When he's ready to start on it, he will. But asking over and over and over makes you look like the 'cunthead'.

Have a great day.

Last edited by pidge1114; 09-26-2013 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:20 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
"but asking over and over again........"

I'm sorry, pidge, but I don't see anywhere else I've asked them about this being for the N14. I even did a search in case I was mistaken. I wouldn't want to be pestering about it as you are implying, but as far as I see, this is the first time I've asked them at all.
But if you need one person to take the flak for your own resolve, I'm here for ya buddy. My skin is thick, I can handle your frustration.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 AM
pidge1114
Banned
"but asking over and over again........"

I'm sorry, pidge, but I don't see anywhere else I've asked them about this being for the N14. I even did a search in case I was mistaken. I wouldn't want to be pestering about it as you are implying, but as far as I see, this is the first time I've asked them at all.
But if you need one person to take the flak for your own resolve, I'm here for ya buddy. My skin is thick, I can handle your frustration.
Not you, everyone with an N14. If you've been following this thread and the N18 tuning thread, people like you keep hounding Terry to do the N14, and he keeps saying no. Have you REALLY not seen any of these requests/denials in all of your reading here?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)