Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:35 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No offense taken. I do agree with you, but these aren't engines made of glass. One pull to see peak boost won't kill it.

If anything that's the most repeatable test to eliminate ambient temperature differences.

But that is not something to be done on a daily basis at every light. Everyone knows it's never good to lug an engine . Well I at least hope they do!

Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Azminispeedin
Not to be a **** but I would not be in the habit of putting the rods in such a high load situation, like a 3rd gear 2k rpm full throttle. With the car making considerable more torque my advise would be to wait for full throttle until after 2.5 - 3k rpm.
edit: I started the pull at 3k.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Notnormal
1st Gear
Well got the jb+ installed today and did a little driving . so far all i can say is my car feels great . I read somewhere that this is how the n18 should have come factory and i agree compleatly.cant wait to drive some more tomorrow then for the minis take long island event sunday

Old 10-10-2013, 07:23 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Picked mine up at the post office this morning and installed at lunch. Drive a little this evening and it definitely feels like it's pulling harder. Hoping for light traffic tomorrow so I can open it up on the on-ramps.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I got mine put back in after I got some 93 octane in the tank. I gave it hell last night over about a 50 mile trip and it put a smile on my face. It's even more fun in sport mode with the more aggressive throttle response and exhaust popping. My can tool should arrive today or tomorrow so I can monitor boost and timing. Terry said that mode 8 is not required on the mini because it can monitor accurate boost with the JB+ in place. I'm going to use the Speedo for boost and the fuel gauge for timing.

So, how many people have gone past 50% so far? Is it safe to say that as long as the ECU doesn't retard timing that things are safe up to 16psi?

Old 10-11-2013, 05:40 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Picked mine up at the post office this morning and installed at lunch. Drive a little this evening and it definitely feels like it's pulling harder. Hoping for light traffic tomorrow so I can open it up on the on-ramps.
Unless you've got timing monitoring down pat I wouldnt go past 50%

Sent from my banana phone

Old 10-11-2013, 05:49 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
I'm currently running N14 JCW Conical intake, 2.5 exhaust, FMIC, JCW plugs, and the JB+. My gas mix is 93/E85 mixed 80/20 and the JB turned up well past 50%. No issues just nice smooth fun!!! Well done Burger Motorsports!!! Thank you for taking on the N18 and giving MINI owners a viable option!!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Brandonpt
1st Gear
Had a CEL this morning for a few minutes then it was gone. Should I worry aboyt this?

Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 AM
SchnellFowVay
1st Gear
I installed mine last night into my Countryman (I have not adjusted the dial or anything, just plugged it in).

On 91 octane, it definitely feels faster and stronger. It's not a monumental power increase like JB4 on a bmw 3.0L turbo, but I am definitely happy with the purchase and the car is noticeably more fun to drive.

No CELs or anything. It took under a minute to install. Great product, Terry

Old 10-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandonpt
Had a CEL this morning for a few minutes then it was gone. Should I worry aboyt this?
Any time you get a CEL you should read the code to see what it is IMHO.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:38 PM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the can tool today, configured and installed in minutes. I'm getting 15.2 psi during a 3rd gear pull. I still need to get to the interstate to see what a 6th gear pull looks like. I'll wait for Terry to give us the go ahead to crank up the jb+ a little with 93 octane.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
so ive been running the JB+ for a few days, and i love it.....pulls nice and hard and very smooth......like everyone else has been saying, this is how the S should have come from the factory. it really does feel like a completely new car.

one thing i would like to see is to make the wires about 1.5' long and put some dual-lock on the case so i can mount it out of the way (behind the airbox perhaps).....im not too crazy about it just dangling there....i would like to see a bit cleaner install.

i would also like to have a bit more guidance as to adjusting the dip switch, as in, what would the recommended mods be for each position on the dip switch.....

but overall i am very pleased!

Old 10-11-2013, 03:11 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I would also like some lead extensions.

They are waiting on publishing guidance on the trim pot until further data is gathered.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
We have no plans to extend the wires as we like the location and overall mounting system. But, there is nothing stopping you from extending them yourself if that is your prerogative. It's a low current setup so 18-20 gauge stranded wire will be more than adequate. The yellow wire in particular is a sensitive high frequency (up to 10khz) signal so be sure to solder any connections and to route the wires away from potential noisy areas of engine bay like the coils, alternator, etc.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:40 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
We have no plans to extend the wires as we like the location and overall mounting system. But, there is nothing stopping you from extending them yourself if that is your prerogative. It's a low current setup so 18-20 gauge stranded wire will be more than adequate. The yellow wire in particular is a sensitive high frequency (up to 10khz) signal so be sure to solder any connections and to route the wires away from potential noisy areas of engine bay like the coils, alternator, etc.
Would you like to sell me some? Lol

Old 10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I have approx. 100 miles on my ALL4S since install. I have an auto and the additional power just plain feels good, like it should have from the factory as others have said. Too bad I'm supposed to fly across the Atlantic for a month or two for work. I'll miss it, although I will rent a Mini D.

Old 10-11-2013, 03:47 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
Jb+

I've had the JB+ in for about 80 miles. I do have a boost gauge (nice accurate Craven Speed w/electronic sender) so I am monitoring that closely. "Sturm" (my MINI) was already impressively quick due to some nice bolt ons (DDM Works Race Intake; Forge Intercooler; and ALTA cat back) but after another commute I think I can give some pretty good feedback. I also emailed Terry a few days ago to inquire if a lead extension is planned to mount the JB+ in a more satisfactory location under the bonnet. I think it is a good idea as an optional component that you could purchase. Guess I'll break out the solder.

(BTW on the chance the guy with the Pepper White R53 with the 01 decal and ALTA exhaust on Route 53 this morning is reading this; that was me behind you. Nice spirited ride.)

So far no issues, concerns or codes.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
does anyone have a part number (or a link) for the male/ female MAF connectors?

ide rather not have to hack into the JB+ if i can avoid it.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:49 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Would you like to sell me some? Lol
No, we don't offer connectors or anything like that for sale. So you'd be on your own to do it. And I don't suggest it. But, I can't stop anyone.

Old 10-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
No, we don't offer connectors or anything like that for sale. So you'd be on your own to do it. And I don't suggest it. But, I can't stop anyone.
you dont recommend the cutting and soldering....or you dont recommend the longer leads in general?

im not trying to nit-pick, i just want to make sure the short leads are an aesthetic choice and that there is no electro/mechanical reason for it.

Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
That's cool. I'll probably not bother, sourcing the connectors in the quantity that I want is a PITA.

Old 10-11-2013, 07:34 PM
nccoaty
Neutral
I received my JB+ Thursday and after over 150 miles with it on my Countryman I put it through its paces going up the twisty mountains to the Blue Ridge Parkway. It preformed great, power felt much better and smooth. Posted a comment in it in a Countryman Facebook group I am a me per in letting everyone how pleased I was with the devce. I did receive several positive comments but one guy was really tearing it apart. Below is some of his comments and I would like to see if any one has expericansed what he is talking about and any technical rebuttal I can fire back with some facts.

From what I understand these are not good for your car. Also I hear it wears off then you have to reset your car. Ask Kyle Conner

Actually programming the ECU is one thing. Adding a box that takes the signal from the ECU and distorts it is another. I am sure it does it's job but I can't see that being very good for the car.

Yeah like I said I am just relaying what I read and was told. I am sure it will increase power but at what cost? Plus the gains are not nearly where they can be. I would rather spend the money and get the proper tune, intercooler, exhaust and plugs this way my car is kept cooler and running optimally. Adding horsepower and not giving your car the other things it needs may be more hazardous than the "safer' canned tune!

Old 10-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
From what I understand these are not good for your car. Also I hear it wears off then you have to reset your car. Ask Kyle Conner

Actually programming the ECU is one thing. Adding a box that takes the signal from the ECU and distorts it is another. I am sure it does it's job but I can't see that being very good for the car.
from what i understand, these work by tricking the ECU into thinking its pushing less boost than it actually is, so the ECU pushes more to compensate.....mechanically, there is very little different between the car pushing more boost because it thinks it making less (what the JB+ does)....and the car pushing more boost because thats what you tell it to do(what a traditional ECU tune does).....

its also boosting it a relatevely small amount (only +3-6 PSI), the engine barely notices the difference in terms of structural integrity...

hell, my buddy has a fully custom porsche 911 thats putting out over 600HP, thats also tuned with a chip tune that operates very similar the ones we have, hes has yet to have an issue with it.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mcameron
from what i understand, these work by tricking the ECU into thinking its pushing less boost than it actually is, so the ECU pushes more to compensate.....mechanically, there is very little different between the car pushing more boost because it thinks it making less (what the JB+ does)....and the car pushing more boost because thats what you tell it to do(what a traditional ECU tune does).....

its also boosting it a relatevely small amount (only +3-6 PSI), the engine barely notices the difference in terms of structural integrity...

hell, my buddy has a fully custom porsche 911 thats putting out over 600HP, thats also tuned with a chip tune that operates very similar the ones we have, hes has yet to have an issue with it.

Burger Mororsports has built a strong reputation in the BMW tuning world. They're not some fly by night operation.

If you are worried about your engine breaking you shouldn't have bought a MINI. Between the timing chain, and vacuum pump failure theses engines can fail at stock power levels. BMS' tune is safe. Just take it off before you go into the dealer and you will be fine.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:50 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by borderwave2
Burger Mororsports has built a strong reputation in the BMW tuning world. They're not some fly by night operation.

If you are worried about your engine breaking you shouldn't have bought a MINI. Between the timing chain, and vacuum pump failure theses engines can fail at stock power levels. BMS' tune is safe. Just take it off before you go into the dealer and you will be fine.
We've tuned maybe 25,000 BMW motors since 2007 with excellent reliability but nothing is 100% fool-proof. Not even the factory tune. But the JB+ is definitely going after the low hanging fruit. The easy to get power gains with minimal safety trade offs. I'd feel better running the JB+ than some of the more aggressive flash tunes I've seen floating around.

Now when you start to talking about "chips" on internet forums it's like cat-nip to a select few trolls who usually had a bad experience with some unrelated product and completely different platform yet feel the need to "warn" everyone.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)