Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes the next batch came in early so they just processed pending orders. I think there are a handful left from that batch. So order now and you may get it sooner than you think.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:43 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Benchmark

OK today 57 deg F and pulled 17.5 psi peak in fourth gear, I think somewhere around 5000-5500 rpm. I am extremely surprised. Every time I think I've hit the top end and been satisfied on boost it's bested the next day. As Nigel is quoted in Spinal Tap "This one goes to eleven."

Old 10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
SchnellFowVay
1st Gear
In the past, both with Terry's BMW products and with other manufacturer's software, I have always taken the "adaptation" thing as a bit of a joke.

But on this JB+, it's the real deal. When I first installed it, the car felt faster. Starting this morning, however, (driven about 120 miles since install), the car suddenly started pulling like a beast in 2nd gear. It helped that it was 58 degrees out. But still, the car feels really quick now.

I like this thing more every day. For those that are installing it for the first time, give it a week or so. It just keeps getting better!

Old 10-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Install Complete

Ok so yes, its all in.

Pros: I do feel the power already. Sort of like a strong pull once boost kicks in. Looking forward to what it will feel like once I drive it over 100 miles

Cons: I cant get the CAN tool to Hijack my gauges. I followed the instructions by the numbers. Hold for 2 seconds, Tach turns orange. I can go through all the Menu options but once done, it does not show boost, and no shift light option.

Also which Dash option should I be on, 6 or 7?

Need to know what am I doing wrong. here are the instructions I used:

Basic use video:

How to route the CT wire:

Software Interface: Interface download.

How to connect your windows laptop to the CT. Click here.

BMW Gauge Hijacking Scaling:

The fuel and oil gauge use the same scaling system. For boost pressure they are shown as empty to full equaling 0-20psi boost pressure. So 1/2 on the gauge would be 10psi and 3/4 on the gauge would be 15psi. Timing is shown from 0-20 degrees in a similar manor.

MINI Gauge Hijacking Scaling:

For the MINI you'll hijack on the speed and fuel gauge. Ensure you've set the oil gauge mode to 0. On the fuel gauge with timing each bar represents 1 degree of advance up to 10 degrees of advance. With boost the range is from 10-20psi, with 0 bars representing 10psi and each additional bar representing an additional pound of boost pressure. On the speedo which is scaled from 0-160mph boost is scaled 0 to 16psi. With 120mph representing 12psi, 150mph representing 15psi, etc. Timing when selected for the speedo is shown from 0-16 degrees in a similar manor to boost. AFR on speed is shown as 0-16.0:1. With 147mph representing stoich 14.7:1.

Code listing for N54 engines

Code listing for N55 & MINI engines
Attached Images

Old 10-15-2013, 07:44 PM
PenguinOnTheTelly
2nd Gear
Adaption Feedback

Schnell I am in complete agreement. For those of you who would like a pretty accurate record of how the JB+ adapts take a look at my last several series of posts. I tried to provide feedback (including outside temps etc. ) from the time of installation up until today. This covers about 300 miles of driving. So far no negatives but sadly I find it hard to pursue good fuel economy.

For those of you about to receive your JB+ get ready to hold on and enjoy the ride.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Got my jb+ tune today and the car pulls harder.. it instantly felt faster but only a little bit more. Power seems smoother, like everyone says. Can't wait for the adjustment period.

On a side note I found a nail in my rear passenger tire. :( gonna get it repaired on Thursday.

Motor on.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:25 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Ok so yes, its all in.

Pros: I do feel the power already. Sort of like a strong pull once boost kicks in. Looking forward to what it will feel like once I drive it over 100 miles

Cons: I cant get the CAN tool to Hijack my gauges. I followed the instructions by the numbers. Hold for 2 seconds, Tach turns orange. I can go through all the Menu options but once done, it does not show boost, and no shift light option.

Also which Dash option should I be on, 6 or 7?

Need to know what am I doing wrong. here are the instructions I used:
6 for no nav, 7 for nav. Make sure you unplug and replug once programmed to make it work. When you start the car, the gauges should sweep once when communicating with the CAN. Oh, and in case you didn't know, the CAN must stay connected. I didn't know this myself. Email their support, they are very fast to respond because I had the same questions.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Sly Cooper
1st Gear
I feel like I did the settings correctly on mine, but the boost numbers on the speedo never make it very high. I'm wondering if something isn't right, because when I was going through the menus as per the video, option set 1 moved the speedo to 5mph not 10mph, set 2 showed 10 mph, not 20 mph, set 3 showed 15 mph, not 30 mph, etc. I was confused for a little while because he calls the speedo the tach in the video. But it seems the way it works is that the speedo is supposed to show which parameter you are adjusting, and the tach shows the value. I know I did something right because I get the tach sweep on start, and the shift light works. Is there a way to make it hijack the speedo at all times? It's not very useful as-is because the speedo doesn't move very fast to the new value when the hijack turns on, you might be out of boost by the time it gets to the right reading.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Cooper
I feel like I did the settings correctly on mine, but the boost numbers on the speedo never make it very high. I'm wondering if something isn't right, because when I was going through the menus as per the video, option set 1 moved the speedo to 5mph not 10mph, set 2 showed 10 mph, not 20 mph, set 3 showed 15 mph, not 30 mph, etc. I was confused for a little while because he calls the speedo the tach in the video. But it seems the way it works is that the speedo is supposed to show which parameter you are adjusting, and the tach shows the value. I know I did something right because I get the tach sweep on start, and the shift light works. Is there a way to make it hijack the speedo at all times? It's not very useful as-is because the speedo doesn't move very fast to the new value when the hijack turns on, you might be out of boost by the time it gets to the right reading.
It sounds like something isn't right. Mine didn't move to the right value until I had my dash set up right. For non navigation cars use setting 6, and for ECU make sure you have Mini N18. Save out of those, then it should move correctly. If not, contact BMS. Make sure the boost scaling factor is set to 0 because Mini doesn't use that. Also, mode 2 should be set to zero as mini doesn't have an oil gauge.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:57 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Sly Cooper
I'm guessing you have the Nav? Do you have it set the dash type set to option 7? From what I've read elsewhere the Nav speedo is too slow and you're better off moving boost to the gas gauge.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:00 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Thanks Carhopper,

Re did the whole sequence, also found that I missed a step, did not program for ECU: N18. Once complete, I unplugged as you said and started it up. Wallah, it is so much more fun to drive when you see your dash responding. Also, I notice that I can hear a more aggressive sound in the motor, might be the turbo spooling. Whatever it is, it sound great. Unleash the Beast!!!!

Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chrunck
I'm guessing you have the Nav? Do you have it set the dash type set to option 7? From what I've read elsewhere the Nav speedo is too slow and you're better off moving boost to the gas gauge.
Yes the NAVI speedo is heavily dampened internally and too slow for boost. :(

Old 10-16-2013, 10:11 AM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Thanks Carhopper,

Re did the whole sequence, also found that I missed a step, did not program for ECU: N18. Once complete, I unplugged as you said and started it up. Wallah, it is so much more fun to drive when you see your dash responding. Also, I notice that I can hear a more aggressive sound in the motor, might be the turbo spooling. Whatever it is, it sound great. Unleash the Beast!!!!
I do notice more engine grunt. XD

Old 10-16-2013, 05:54 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Just being paranoid and triple-checking, but the install procedure is: open hood, turn off car, lock doors, wait 15 minutes, plug in, and enjoy, correct?

Old 10-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
That's the process I used for install, and all is fine so far.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
I think if you have comfort access, you have to leave the key far enough away for the car not to pick it up.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM
pepperwhiteknight
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yep. Best to put the key in the house at the beginning of the 15 minute wait. I setup and and came back with the key in pocket and car made some buzzing noise like it was waking up.

Disconnecting the negative battery terminal then installing the JB+ works too.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so over the past few days ive noticed some light RPM fluctuation at idle, mostly at startup, never really gave me any reason to worry though.....however today, i went to start my car and the RPMs seemed to fluctuate a lot more and my car eventually stalled out. it started right back up and seemed to run fine, so if its a one time thing i wont really concern myself with it......just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:14 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Mcameron
so over the past few days ive noticed some light RPM fluctuation at idle, mostly at startup, never really gave me any reason to worry though.....however today, i went to start my car and the RPMs seemed to fluctuate a lot more and my car eventually stalled out. it started right back up and seemed to run fine, so if its a one time thing i wont really concern myself with it......just curious if anyone has experienced anything similar?
Any mods besides the JB?

Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Any mods besides the JB?
only whats in my sig....ive got a DDM street intake and a D1 Spec.....both of which ive been running for the past 6 months without any issues.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:30 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
How many miles on the JB? Sorry no sig files in the app.

Old 10-17-2013, 03:35 AM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Using Dash Command I saw 16psi yesterday after approx. 200 miles with the JB+. What impresses me the most is how smooth the power delivery is.

Last edited by ke3ee; 10-17-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:27 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
How many miles on the JB? Sorry no sig files in the app.
18k on the car..... Approximately 250-300 on the JB+

Old 10-17-2013, 06:34 AM
Brandonpt
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mcameron
mine hasnt stalled but I have noticed the fluctuations when idling after a cold startup.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Mini-LSE
3rd Gear
I need to unsubscribe from this topic. Every time I am updated I get really jealous. Wish they had JCW model. :(

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)