Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
To anyone who is running a DP, I'm curious if your dyno results will be shown even though the numbers indicate it's just 20hp/30tq. That will be the interesting aspect of this tune.
i mentioned to terry on wed that i was prob going to pick up the evolve dp. he said something to the effect of "that should free up the engine a bit." i got my invoice from alex and am about pull the trigger. it may be a little while before i get it on the car. i would love to be able to quantify the gains i get over stock - stock vs. dp, stock vs. JB+, stock vs. dp + JB+.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:47 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jomama

i mentioned to terry on wed that i was prob going to pick up the evolve dp. he said something to the effect of "that should free up the engine a bit." i got my invoice from alex and am about pull the trigger. it may be a little while before i get it on the car. i would love to be able to quantify the gains i get over stock - stock vs. dp, stock vs. JB+, stock vs. dp + JB+.
I know what you mean, I'm debating if I should go to the evolve DP route too.

I will keep my eyes posted if you or someone else is going to post dyno gains on the examples you stated.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Just went for a spin and i'm still having the same problem. Mid throttle about 6-8psi and about 1 second between shifts. The dash doesn't un-hack. I have to re-engage the dash hack in order to get any readings. Sigh.... time to get in contact with terry.

Old 08-16-2013, 05:51 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HorizonBLueN18
Update: on the way home from dinner it did the same thing as before where the dash hack never unlocked. So when i got home i unplugged the can tool. uploaded everything back through. checked all my settings and i did 2 pulls and all works according to plan. I didn't do any off throttle back on throttle to see if it would mess up again but i did 2 1st-2nd gear pulls and it worked fine and flipped out of dash hack like it was supposed to. i'll keep ya'll updated. i'll play with it on the way to work tomorrow.
We don't do tech support on forums but if you need any assistance with any BMS products feel free to email in to technical support. Off the cuff that sounds like you've set the oil temp gauge on which for the MINI won't work and will then interfere with the other gauges. If not then its probably just a faulty CAN Tool or OBDII cable.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
terry has told me on a couple of different occasions that the CAN tool will keep all passive CEL lights off. the light that would be triggered by a downpipe is passive. i'd take his word for it. the guy knows what he's doing.
When you say passive what do you mean by that exactly, does that mean the condition is harmless to the car/engine? In this case it's just an emission type thing?

Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
When you say passive what do you mean by that exactly, does that mean the condition is harmless to the car/engine? In this case it's just an emission type thing?
Codes that need to trigger 2-3 times before showing a soft CEL warning in dash.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM
PinkMiso
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Terry,
I was on the fence about the can tool for my 135 but leaning towards taking the plunge. Is the n54 set the same as the one for the n14 mini? If so, is it vin locked to one car or can I use it on the BMW and my mini too? That would be a nice bonus.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
They definitely are, the JB4 will be available for us in the future.

And I'm hitting 18psi because I have meth, which keeps things cool, so the increased heat generated is no biggie.
I was given the green light by Terry because I have the meth, so he was comfortable letting me increase it a bit. There is a dial inside the JB+ that's lets you adjust between min-max.

I do also have all the relevant bolt on stuff to give some more power gains.
Which meth kit are you running?

Old 08-19-2013, 09:13 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski

Which meth kit are you running?
The Aquamist HFS-4

Old 08-20-2013, 04:53 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PinkMiso
Terry,
I was on the fence about the can tool for my 135 but leaning towards taking the plunge. Is the n54 set the same as the one for the n14 mini? If so, is it vin locked to one car or can I use it on the BMW and my mini too? That would be a nice bonus.
http://burgertuning.com/CAN_reader_tool_for_BMW.html
"Not locked to a specific VIN -- use on as many cars as you'd like"

Old 08-20-2013, 05:26 AM
minimechusa
2nd Gear
I've used mine on my wife's and my MINI had no issues switching from car to car

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 08-20-2013, 09:06 AM
jomama
4th Gear
Terry,
do realize that the CAN tool must be connected to the OBD II port. so while you can switch between cars, you obviously can't have it running on both cars at the same time. just wanted to clear that up for you.

Old 08-20-2013, 05:48 PM
PinkMiso
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
do realize that the CAN tool must be connected to the OBD II port. so while you can switch between cars, you obviously can't have it running on both cars at the same time. just wanted to clear that up for you.
Yeah I know, I was under the impression that I could sort of "flash" the specific features I wanted. Wasn't sure if it needed to be connected at all times. If that's the case I guess it makes sense. I keep AP plugged into the obd port most of the time so if I need to leave it plugged in I don't think I can use it on the mini

Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Yeah I know, I was under the impression that I could sort of "flash" the specific features I wanted. Wasn't sure if it needed to be connected at all times. If that's the case I guess it makes sense. I keep AP plugged into the obd port most of the time so if I need to leave it plugged in I don't think I can use it on the mini
when i got the can tool i was under the impression it flashed the BIU or something, since the can tool goes into a "programming mode" and all. not the case, needs to stay connected at all times

Old 08-25-2013, 12:42 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
So regarding the shift light feature on the CAN tool, I have an auto so I was wondering what RPM to set it to as sort of an "eco" shift point where I would let off the gas and let the tranny upshift for me to get the best mpg? Or if that would even make a difference at all (waste of time and blinking lights). Looking at various stock HP/tq graphs it seems like a reasonable point would be around 2600 rpms since that us where the torque bump goes back to ~170 lb/ft before dipping below that until ~4250 rpm. I'm using the baseline vs. NM engineering graphs btw. Although I probably should be looking at JB+ graphs, right? Just thinking out loud here, any input is appreciated.

Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM
jomama
4th Gear
Originally Posted by yesti
So regarding the shift light feature on the CAN tool, I have an auto so I was wondering what RPM to set it to as sort of an "eco" shift point where I would let off the gas and let the tranny upshift for me to get the best mpg? Or if that would even make a difference at all (waste of time and blinking lights). Looking at various stock HP/tq graphs it seems like a reasonable point would be around 2600 rpms since that us where the torque bump goes back to ~170 lb/ft before dipping below that until ~4250 rpm. I'm using the baseline vs. NM engineering graphs btw. Although I probably should be looking at JB+ graphs, right? Just thinking out loud here, any input is appreciated.
I think I'd go nuts if my shift light came at 2600 rpm. if you wanna go eco, just go easy on the gas pedal and let the car do the rest.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:51 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Yah, that might get annoying. I'll play with it and see how it goes

Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
evilc66
2nd Gear
Just got my beta unit (and CAN tool) in the mail today. Thanks Terry and everyone at BMS for getting it out so quickly.

Just about to install it in my 2011 S, so I will report back tomorrow once the DME has adapted and everything has settled. Should be fun.

Old 08-26-2013, 01:43 PM
kerrys914
3rd Gear
Terry, any way to let us know what States have someone with a BETA unit for testing? Just curious to see where there are all located.

Cheers

Old 08-26-2013, 02:13 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kerrys914
Terry, any way to let us know what States have someone with a BETA unit for testing? Just curious to see where there are all located.

Cheers
West Bloomfield, Michigan

Old 08-26-2013, 02:18 PM
MiniLynsk
3rd Gear
Yonkers, NY

Old 08-26-2013, 02:23 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Sunny Southern California.......2000 miles on mine.......perfect performance.....happy, happy, happy!

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Massachusetts. just installed the jb+ today, feels better and better, after 20min of driving it's certainly more responsive and takes very little pedal to accel from 45-60 in 6th gear

Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
SoCal... down San Diego way. About 700 miles of JB+ running and enjoying the sh*t out of it !!!

Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM
pidge1114
Banned

Last edited by pidge1114; 07-22-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)