Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:46 AM
devicemanager
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '13 JCW hard top is bone stock with the exception of a K&N panel filter and runs on 91 octane. I put my JB+ (11 o'clock setting) in on Sat. and used a reusable zip tie to secure the maf cable that attaches to the bottom of the JB+ to another cable which keeps the entire unit from flopping around. I've only got about 50 mi. clocked so far. In my short experience it definitely pulls harder and I also seem to experience less turbo lag when the Sport button is off. I have zero idle issues.

I also put the BMS clutch stop in place and removed one shim since mine had 4. Shifting is so much easier now.

Thanks Terry!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You guys running at 100% with 30% e85 running into any issues? Thinking about doing this in my GP when spring hits

Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Damon114
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KilmerPT
Sure thing Damon! Drove about 66 miles round trip for work today. So far, idling appears to be steady with the JB+ unlike some that have reported fluctuations. Hwy 101 was pretty busy on the way home so I couldn't go WOT, but it's now even more fun to enter the on ramps. Power is steady and stronger! This thing just ups the fun factor of the MINI to 10+ and then some if you should ever turn the dial up.

Feel free to ask any questions about the JB+ and the JCW, and I will try my best to answer with my experience with it. I currently have an aFe panel filter in the stock intake, and I also have an FMIC waiting to be installed in the garage.

I did not get the CAN tool because I do not have plans to change the DP so instead got a SG2, but I was thinking it would be cool if Terry could add an overboost light feature to the CAN tool. I'm always wondering if I am hitting overboost or not, and I might just buy it for that featur alone. lol. What say you Terry?
Thank u for all your info!!!! I was looking for an AFE filter.where did u find one and did it make and difference.And sounds like in need to order the JB+.Just not sure if i should order the CAN tool or get a SG2.not really planning to do any other mods .Super happy with my JCW but want a little more power and turbo sound and I'm happy.I also run 93 chevron gas all the time in my rocket

Old 12-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Damon114
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by devicemanager
My '13 JCW hard top is bone stock with the exception of a K&N panel filter and runs on 91 octane. I put my JB+ (11 o'clock setting) in on Sat. and used a reusable zip tie to secure the maf cable that attaches to the bottom of the JB+ to another cable which keeps the entire unit from flopping around. I've only got about 50 mi. clocked so far. In my short experience it definitely pulls harder and I also seem to experience less turbo lag when the Sport button is off. I have zero idle issues.

I also put the BMS clutch stop in place and removed one shim since mine had 4. Shifting is so much easier now.

Thanks Terry!
Thanks for posting more info for guys with 13 JCW.Def getting one for under the tree this year.Did u order the CAN tool as well.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Damon114
Thank u for all your info!!!! I was looking for an AFE filter.where did u find one and did it make and difference.And sounds like in need to order the JB+.Just not sure if i should order the CAN tool or get a SG2.not really planning to do any other mods .Super happy with my JCW but want a little more power and turbo sound and I'm happy.I also run 93 chevron gas all the time in my rocket
I got my filter from Amazon because I already have prime so free shipping for me. The Defenders of Speed website also sells it, I believe. Anyhow, I posted a pic of the model number.

The changes that I can tell from the new filter is improved throttle response and a slight increase in sound like a turbo whistle when you have your foot on the pedal (not the whoosh sound when you let off the pedal).

People have reported that the CAN tool does not work as well if you have MINI Connected screen so another reason I got the SG2 (and I can use it on the wife's non-MINI car).

Attached Thumbnails Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)-image-2077483141.jpg  

Last edited by KilmerPT; 12-04-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Damon114
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by KilmerPT
I got my filter from Amazon because I already have prime so free shipping for me. The Defenders of Speed website also sells it, I believe. Anyhow, I posted a pic of the model number.

The changes that I can tell from the new filter is improved throttle response and a slight increase in sound like a turbo whistle when you have your foot on the pedal (not the whoosh sound when you let off the pedal).

People have reported that the CAN tool does not work as well if you have MINI Connected screen so another reason I got the SG2 (and I can use it on the wife's non-MINI car).
Thank u again for all your info,and the part # is exactly what i needed so i order the wright one haha.cheers

Old 12-05-2013, 09:38 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For folks with the Mini Connected screen like myself.

-Set timing for fuel gauge
....makes timing easy to read

-Set speedo for AFR
.....easy to read as it'll never go below 110 (works well since the needle moves ridiculously slow and only moves on that quarter of the speedo vs trying to go back and fourth on the whole thing like timing would)

Boost would be the least important of these 3 things if you had to place them in order of importance.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:53 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Damon114
Thank u again for all your info,and the part # is exactly what i needed so i order the wright one haha.cheers
You're welcome! Glad I could help. :cheers:

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 12-06-2013, 05:06 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Los Angeles has been getting colder and colder so I turned the JB+ on the 2 o' clock setting to take advantage of the 30-50 degree weather. I'm trying to be cautious since I'm running 91 (albeit Shell gasoline, if that makes a difference) but so far so good.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:24 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
Los Angeles has been getting colder and colder so I turned the JB+ on the 2 o' clock setting to take advantage of the 30-50 degree weather. I'm trying to be cautious since I'm running 91 (albeit Shell gasoline, if that makes a difference) but so far so good.
I would be cautious on 2 running only 91 octane.

Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 PM
iminir56
3rd Gear
Im also at the 2 o'clock but with 94

Old 12-06-2013, 07:07 PM
ChaiLatte
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I would be cautious on 2 running only 91 octane.
Yeah it was never meant to be permanent. I tried it out when I went up Angeles Crest one 35 degree night, since I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out for one night. But then I got lazy and I've been putting off changing it back. Definitely been enjoying the extra power though. It's so addicting, now I just want a meth kit so I can turn it up all the way lol.

Old 12-06-2013, 09:03 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
For folks with the Mini Connected screen like myself. -Set timing for fuel gauge ....makes timing easy to read -Set speedo for AFR .....easy to read as it'll never go below 110 (works well since the needle moves ridiculously slow and only moves on that quarter of the speedo vs trying to go back and fourth on the whole thing like timing would) Boost would be the least important of these 3 things if you had to place them in order of importance.
Thanks for the info NCF!

Old 12-06-2013, 10:21 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Yeah it was never meant to be permanent. I tried it out when I went up Angeles Crest one 35 degree night, since I figured it wouldn't hurt to try it out for one night. But then I got lazy and I've been putting off changing it back. Definitely been enjoying the extra power though. It's so addicting, now I just want a meth kit so I can turn it up all the way lol.
You're making me so sad. I just moved back to NC earlier this year after spending a little over a year in LA. I miss it so much. Hopefully, I'll get back out there before too long, and make it a permanent situation. I had to move back due to a family tragedy, but I'm thinking that by the end of next year, family should be strong enough to have me around less. I love the Angeles Crest Highway, and the route going up to Crystal Lake (above Azusa) following the San Gabriel river. Those roads are awesome.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Mini-LSE
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by devicemanager

Thanks Terry!
Are you running with a CAN TOOL? I too have a 2013 JCW had it around 10 o'clock. My CEL kept coming on. I ordered the CT and finally had the opportunity to hook it up Thursday. So far, no CEL. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the auto delete function on the CT is removing this as Terry thought the problem might be a "tuner code" or a "DP code".

Can anyone tell me how the CT can tell wether the CEL is a tuner code or DP code?

Thanks!

Old 12-07-2013, 09:16 AM
jomama
4th Gear
i'm not a big fan of shell. it seems like whenever i put a tank of shell 91 in, i get less mpg than if i use arco. i'm not sure what the explanation may be tho.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:08 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jomama
i'm not a big fan of shell. it seems like whenever i put a tank of shell 91 in, i get less mpg than if i use arco. i'm not sure what the explanation may be tho.
Haha how funny, I think I see less mpg with Chevron, which is why I switched to Shell.

So many myths about different blends of gasoline.

Never really use arco as it's not very convenient in DTLA. And when I do find one, it's always packed....so I just avoid it altogether lol.

Old 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Just ordered one for my Paceman All4. Hoping I can finally get a little wheel spin outta this pig.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:54 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by Eds not-so-red MINI
Just ordered one for my Paceman All4. Hoping I can finally get a little wheel spin outta this pig.
Don't get your hopes up that high.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Haha how funny, I think I see less mpg with Chevron, which is why I switched to Shell. So many myths about different blends of gasoline. Never really use arco as it's not very convenient in DTLA. And when I do find one, it's always packed....so I just avoid it altogether lol.
Interesting, in my area I think they fall in this
order : Chevron>Shell>Arco with the worst being Safeway and Costco

Old 12-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I know ours feels awfully fast in this 40 degree socal weather even at the default setting. I'll need to get it back out for some VBOX testing soon.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:56 PM
aleclee
3rd Gear
Sub-zero weather here in CO this week. I'm definitely not worried about heat soak!

I have experienced some occasional hesitation at WOT. I suspect that the altitude + the 91 octane (best available here) are at issue. I've been meaning to dial back to 11:00 but haven't gotten around to it.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I know ours feels awfully fast in this 40 degree socal weather even at the default setting. I'll need to get it back out for some VBOX testing soon.
My wife asked me today 'what did you do to the Mini'? Its faster again she said.
I tried to explain...but she didn't get it. Cold weather is awsome. Thanks BMS.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:33 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
I agree. Here in Michigan we had 26 degrees last night, and boy was my MINI flying on the highway. I looked at the speedometer and had to calm down a bit since my pants were getting a little excited.

Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 AM
Eds not-so-red MINI
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
Don't get your hopes up that high.
OK, then I'll be happy with just a little spinal indentation in the back of my seat. Just a little. And maybe an occasional chirp.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)