Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Phipu91
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
So I'm not sure if it's a fluke, but everything looks good with timing and AFR's. This is with the JB+ at 100 with 100% meth. I won't know forsure until I go through this tank completely and refill again, incase this current tank has a diluted E85 blend.
I'm hoping the best for you!!!

Old 01-01-2014, 05:53 AM
StrikeZ
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to find it in the thread. With a non-modded MCS AT, the 0-60 time is 6.7. What would the 0-60 time be after adding the JB+?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:18 AM
Coop-a-Loop
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Coop-a-Loop
As title says. Stock run was done about a month ago. Juice Box (12 o'clock setting) run a week ago. These are just the best runs done w/ my friends very stock '13 MCS. Times are limited by the run flat tires (lots of tire spin w/ JB+). 91oct gas. These times are similar to times posted by Terry earlier in these threads. Best runs shown where duplicated on other runs and all runs where done in exactly the same place. Bigger tires will give better results I'm sure. I am definitely going to get a JB+ for my car somewhere in the near future. Please post your time/jpeg to compare. It sure would be nice to get a time for MarioKarts GP! (By the way, don't do time tests w/ a passenger, only driver weight for time tests. Extra weight is a killer to the clock.)

Stock 6.58
w/ Juice Box 6.27
Here ya go.....times were done in dry weather.....

Old 01-01-2014, 07:57 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Running an intake?
Nope, no intake. It just makes that sound that I've heard is the turbo turning backwards. I had it happen at low speeds in 4th or 5th gear kinda lugging it. I gave it 100% throttle and then let off and heard that noise. It never did it until I turned up the JB+.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:23 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
I would be concerned your diverter valve isn't functioning properly. If you don't vent the boost when you slam the throttle closed, the pressure wave flows backwards and tries to stop/reverse the compressor. The turbo is spinning at 100k rpm or so on a thin film of oil for a 'bearing'. Hitting it with a shock of air going the wrong way is not a good thing. I'll see if I can find some vids to compare the sound to for ya. Do you have a way of measuring boost pressure? Do you get a big spike when lifting?

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...mpressor_surge

Does it sound like these?

http://m.youtube.com/results?q=compressor+surge&sm=3

Last edited by nine5raptor; 01-01-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by nine5raptor
I would be concerned your diverter valve isn't functioning properly. If you don't vent the boost when you slam the throttle closed, the pressure wave flows backwards and tries to stop/reverse the compressor. The turbo is spinning at 100k rpm or so on a thin film of oil for a 'bearing'. Hitting it with a shock of air going the wrong way is not a good thing. I'll see if I can find some vids to compare the sound to for ya. Do you have a way of measuring boost pressure? Do you get a big spike when lifting?
I'm monitoring with a DashCommand and OBD2 reader. I'll have to check and see if I see any spikes when lifting. It seemed to only do it at low RPM, high throttle situations. I'm going to cut the JB back some and see what happens. If the diverter valve is bad on this car, it will only add to the other 700 problems it's had.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:37 AM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
You are putting it in a high boost, low flow situation. Not ideal for sure. I haven't seen a compressor map for our turbo. May need to search for one and take a look at the situation you are putting it in.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:44 AM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
You are putting it in a high boost, low flow situation. Not ideal for sure. I haven't seen a compressor map for our turbo. May need to search for one and take a look at the situation you are putting it in.
It just never did that before. Thought it was strange for it to start all of a sudden. I'll turn the little dial back a hair and see what the result is. I'm too worried about ruining the engine too with the dial at 3 o'clock permanently. I'm running a 30 percent mix of ethanol but I'm still worried it could cause problems.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:56 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
I was told frankenturbo has a compressor map of a JCW and an 'S' on their website.

I was assuming possibly an intake and BOV were giving you that sound....sounds like a chirp more then a 'psssh' sound, not the case here.

But a bad diverter valve is not good, but easily replaceable.

Old 01-01-2014, 02:58 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
I was told frankenturbo has a compressor map of a JCW and an 'S' on their website. I was assuming possibly an intake and BOV were giving you that sound....sounds like a chirp more then a 'psssh' sound, not the case here. But a bad diverter valve is not good, but easily replaceable.
No I know the sound of those two things. I think it could be the compressor spinning backwards or getting suddenly stopped.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:17 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Here is what I could find.... If you look at the map, the surge line is up the left side. If you go into the zone on the left (high boost, low flow), you get compressor surge but that would happen when flowing. If you get a squeak/bang that is a sharp sound when you lift, it could be a faulty diverter valve. They are relatively cheap if you suspect it.

Could also be something else entirely. Hard to diagnose over a forum.

Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)-forumrunner_20140101_171645.jpg

Old 01-01-2014, 03:18 PM
nine5raptor
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh

No I know the sound of those two things. I think it could be the compressor spinning backwards or getting suddenly stopped.
The exhaust is flowing through the hot side and keeping it spinning. Trying to suddenly stop the cold side puts a LOT of stress on the system and is not recommended

Old 01-01-2014, 05:15 PM
ChiliRedR56raleigh
4th Gear
Here is what I could find.... If you look at the map, the surge line is up the left side. If you go into the zone on the left (high boost, low flow), you get compressor surge but that would happen when flowing. If you get a squeak/bang that is a sharp sound when you lift, it could be a faulty diverter valve. They are relatively cheap if you suspect it. Could also be something else entirely. Hard to diagnose over a forum.
Good thing it's still under warranty. Bad thing is that local service people are absolutely morons so they will probably say my car is fine, and that they couldn't replicate it. Lol. I'm hoping for a new car soon.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Why has everyone been so quiet?? Dumb question but how do you release the clips on the JB? I have to go in for a P1339 code I get off and on and I need to remove the JB. Also have been running a 30% mix of e85. When I remove the JB is there anything wrong with still having this mix in the tank? I did not think so but figured I would ask.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiliRedR56raleigh
I'm monitoring with a DashCommand and OBD2 reader. I'll have to check and see if I see any spikes when lifting. It seemed to only do it at low RPM, high throttle situations. I'm going to cut the JB back some and see what happens. If the diverter valve is bad on this car, it will only add to the other 700 problems it's had.
You could try to rig up a boost gauge before the throttle body and then monitor that to see just how badly pressure is spiking when letting off the gas at various boost levels.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:52 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Why has everyone been so quiet?? Dumb question but how do you release the clips on the JB? I have to go in for a P1339 code I get off and on and I need to remove the JB. Also have been running a 30% mix of e85. When I remove the JB is there anything wrong with still having this mix in the tank? I did not think so but figured I would ask.
You just push the clip down and the connector slides out, or you can also use a small screwdriver on the back side to release the retaining clip if you prefer.

I don't think the E mixture will be an issue for that camshaft sensor code.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:12 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Waiting on my can of Torco to arrive, then I'll have something to post.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:56 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You just push the clip down and the connector slides out, or you can also use a small screwdriver on the back side to release the retaining clip if you prefer. I don't think the E mixture will be an issue for that camshaft sensor code.
The clip I am struggling with the the one from the JB that goes into the MAF. It has a small grey piece on the black connector.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:03 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Got it. Did not realize the gray piece had to slide away from the clip to be able to push down. Thanks

Old 01-04-2014, 12:07 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
You just push the clip down and the connector slides out, or you can also use a small screwdriver on the back side to release the retaining clip if you prefer. I don't think the E mixture will be an issue for that camshaft sensor code.
Sorry I did not think the e85 or JB was causing the p1339 code. I was asking if when I take out the JB is it ok to still have e85 in the tank?

Old 01-04-2014, 04:28 PM
Azminispeedin
3rd Gear
No change in fuel trims with or without the JB...short answer, no change...u will be fine

Old 01-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Sorry I did not think the e85 or JB was causing the p1339 code. I was asking if when I take out the JB is it ok to still have e85 in the tank?
Right, I meant I don't think the ethanol will prevent the dealer from repairing that sensor or raise any eyebrows.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:40 PM
sbninja
3rd Gear
I see that a forge diverter valve comes with different springs for different levels of boost.

Reading most of this thread, many are using the JB+ with stock diverter valve.

Should the stock diverter valve be replaced with an upgraded diverter valve with appropriate spring? Or maybe a new spring in stock valve rated for higher boost?

Old 01-04-2014, 08:41 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
I have the forge valve with the stiffer spring.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Chandler5192
1st Gear
How does your forge diverter valve with the stiffer spring work for you? Are you reading higher levels of boost due to it? Or do you just notice a quicker release of pressure when shifting and letting off of the throttle? I have heard that the stock diverter valve tends to not release the pressure quick enough and could create compressor surge (compressor spinning backward) which is what it seems like some are having an issue with. Just curious if that is the only benefit or if it does in fact raise boost as well.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)