Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 03:36 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
Alright. I'm going to ask a question and would appreciate it if you guys didn't shoot me because I did search quite a bit (and didn't understand a whole lot of what I read). But what is the general consensus on turning up the JB+ when you have an Aquamist Meth Kit? I know you can do it, but by how much?
Great question. I'm wondering myself how to figure that out.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:02 PM
thekaus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an upgraded inter cooler worth the money for average spirited driving? I haven't noticed any outrageous intake or coolant temps so far.

Last edited by thekaus; 04-04-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 05:17 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChaiLatte
Alright. I'm going to ask a question and would appreciate it if you guys didn't shoot me because I did search quite a bit (and didn't understand a whole lot of what I read). But what is the general consensus on turning up the JB+ when you have an Aquamist Meth Kit? I know you can do it, but by how much?
ide imagine i would probably ramp it up slowly.......start by turning it up 1 notch and run it for a bit and constantly monitor timing....if everything looks good, turn it up another notch and repeat...until you get to a point where you are starting to pull timing, then back it off a notch for buffer room.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by thekaus
Swapped the white Union Jack stripe for a custom black jack stripe
That seems really relevant in this thread....

Old 04-04-2014, 05:29 PM
MiniFury13
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114

I'd have to agree...

Old 04-04-2014, 06:33 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mcameron

ide imagine i would probably ramp it up slowly.......start by turning it up 1 notch and run it for a bit and constantly monitor timing....if everything looks good, turn it up another notch and repeat...until you get to a point where you are starting to pull timing, then back it off a notch for buffer room.
Plus there are all the variables with the meth kit itself. What mixture are you going to run? When should it trigger, what size are your injectors?

Straight meth will richen your A/F ratio, straight water will probably not affect it? (others chime in here)

You probably want a 50/50 bias between IDC and boost pressure trigger. We know if you go 100% boost you run rich and timing doesnt advance as expected.

Others on here with meth kits please share your settings and test results :-)

Edit: some people have gone to 100% with straight meth

Last edited by yesti; 04-04-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:45 PM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
I just installed an Aquamist HSF-4 kit on my '13 MCS and my boost went up from 14 to 16-19lbs without touching my JB+. Any idea(s) why?

Old 04-04-2014, 07:09 PM
thekaus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pidge1114
Sorry, my ipad thread hopped on me. My question for this thread was about the need for an aftermarket inter cooler for spirited everyday driving.
I've been running the JB+ for a few weeks at stock setting and haven't felt anything odd or noticed extreme intake or coolant temps even with boost hitting 18 on occasion.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Don't run 100% water in a R5x S. That's asking for a very strong ignition.

If for what ever reason you WANT to, don't go bigger then a .5mm jet.

A good balance for these cars is 80/20 water meth....if you're lazy like me and don't want to measure, just run 100 meth.

These car absolutely love it.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:52 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Don't run 100% water in a R5x S. That's asking for a very strong ignition.

If for what ever reason you WANT to, don't go bigger then a .5mm jet.

A good balance for these cars is 80/20 water meth....if you're lazy like me and don't want to measure, just run 100 meth.

These car absolutely love it.
Do you know your flow rate when in SYS mode? What is your THRES set at? I've only adjusted THRES to 11 o'clock.

I'm using a 0.6mm jet with 0.7mm restrictor and get ~275 cc/min. I'm running ~80% meth (I was too lazy to empty the water out the the tank). I too will be going 100% because it's easy. I might occasionally blend a little water in.

Old 04-05-2014, 01:58 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by miniforozzie
I just installed an Aquamist HSF-4 kit on my '13 MCS and my boost went up from 14 to 16-19lbs without touching my JB+. Any idea(s) why?
Are you sure it wasn't temperature related? I too just installed mine and my boost went up but coincidentally so did the ambient temperature (Spring finally arrived here in North Carolina). I attribute my increase in temperature because in agrees with what I was seeing last summer under similar conditions.

Old 04-05-2014, 02:08 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thekaus
Sorry, my ipad thread hopped on me. My question for this thread was about the need for an aftermarket inter cooler for spirited everyday driving.
I've been running the JB+ for a few weeks at stock setting and haven't felt anything odd or noticed extreme intake or coolant temps even with boost hitting 18 on occasion.
It depends on how far you want to take it in the future. If you're satisfied with what you have right now, I'd say you're fine. Personally, I'm laying the ground work for the potential tunes that might become available here in the near future.

Curious, what are your intake and ambient temperatures when WOT. I never data logged with the stock intercooler.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:35 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Just pulled the trigger on a HFS-4. How did everyone running one come up with th appropriate settings to work with the JB?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Flow rate is going to around ~375cc/min.

Thres is at 11
Gain is at 12....decided to leave it linear.

Flowing enough as it is , no point in ramping up injection.

I also backed down the JB to 12.

I really need to get dash command and that little wifi thing for my iPhone to see what's going on at 100%.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM
SoCalledFriend
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Just clicked "place order" for my JB+....can't wait to drop this baby in!

Old 04-06-2014, 04:24 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
Is it really that noticeable a difference. The jb+ from stock.

Last edited by larmini; 04-06-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by larmini
Is it really that noticeable a difference.
The JB+ or meth kit?

For the JB+ the answer is yes. 20hp/30tq is very noticeable in everyday driving. If you have 92+ octane gas then leave it at default setting and be happy.

Sport = beast mode due to the throttle remapping. Non-sport feels almost like sport mode without the JB+. Getting the hint, yet?

The only problem is it will leave you wanting more which means upping your octane with E85/meth/torco...

Old 04-06-2014, 06:48 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Flow rate is going to around ~375cc/min. Thres is at 11 Gain is at 12....decided to leave it linear. Flowing enough as it is , no point in ramping up injection. I also backed down the JB to 12. I really need to get dash command and that little wifi thing for my iPhone to see what's going on at 100%.
When did you put in you meth kit? I just ordered one today.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:17 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Hey everyone, I started a separate thread about the Aquamist methanol systems here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3909362

Old 04-06-2014, 07:19 PM
JPR18
3rd Gear
I tried searching through this enormous thread...but no luck.

My 2012 Cooper S (stock) has had the jb+ for about 2 months...and I've had some little issues.

1) randomly the half-engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. Unplugged it, ran the car stock, and plugged it back in. The car felt faster than it did right before the CEL, like it did after the adaptation period.

2) a few weeks after plugging it back in, and not touching it, the car basically reverted back to stock. It was very strange. Today I was racing so I had to remove the jb....I ran all day without it, and after plugging it back in, the difference was extraordinary. After a few miles on the highway the car accelerated significantly faster, much faster than earlier this week when it was plugged in.

So my question is, is it possible for the car to revert back to stock-like performance? Should I just keep unplugging it and plugging it back in every now and then?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:31 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by JPR18
I tried searching through this enormous thread...but no luck. My 2012 Cooper S (stock) has had the jb+ for about 2 months...and I've had some little issues. 1) randomly the half-engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. Unplugged it, ran the car stock, and plugged it back in. The car felt faster than it did right before the CEL, like it did after the adaptation period. 2) a few weeks after plugging it back in, and not touching it, the car basically reverted back to stock. It was very strange. Today I was racing so I had to remove the jb....I ran all day without it, and after plugging it back in, the difference was extraordinary. After a few miles on the highway the car accelerated significantly faster, much faster than earlier this week when it was plugged in. So my question is, is it possible for the car to revert back to stock-like performance? Should I just keep unplugging it and plugging it back in every now and then?
My friends Mini would have the 1/2 engine light when, he had the JB+ too turned up for the fuel he was using. Make sure you stay under 50% on the JB and use at minimum 91octane. Try tuning the JB to 30% and go to another fuel station to get 91 or higher. If you don't have any issues, turn the JB up slowly. Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp

Last edited by MarioKart; 04-06-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:36 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
hey everyone, i started a separate thread about the aquamist methanol systems here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3909362
+1

Old 04-06-2014, 07:46 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JPR18
I tried searching through this enormous thread...but no luck.

My 2012 Cooper S (stock) has had the jb+ for about 2 months...and I've had some little issues.

1) randomly the half-engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. Unplugged it, ran the car stock, and plugged it back in. The car felt faster than it did right before the CEL, like it did after the adaptation period.

2) a few weeks after plugging it back in, and not touching it, the car basically reverted back to stock. It was very strange. Today I was racing so I had to remove the jb....I ran all day without it, and after plugging it back in, the difference was extraordinary. After a few miles on the highway the car accelerated significantly faster, much faster than earlier this week when it was plugged in.

So my question is, is it possible for the car to revert back to stock-like performance? Should I just keep unplugging it and plugging it back in every now and then?
Did you read the codes?

Old 04-06-2014, 07:51 PM
JPR18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
My friends Mini would have the 1/2 engine light when, he had the JB+ too turned up for the fuel he was using. Make sure you stay under 50% on the JB and use at minimum 91octane. Try tuning the JB to 30% and go to another fuel station to get 91 or higher. If you don't have any issues, turn the JB up slowly. Sent from my iPhone Office
I haven't touched the settings since I installed it (so at 50%?) and I always run 93 octane.

Originally Posted by cerenkov
Did you read the codes?
I don't have a code reader. I suppose I should get one.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
When did you put in you meth kit? I just ordered one today.
I've had it on for a very long time, and it's staying on for the life of the car.

It should seriously be the very first mod anyone should do before even touching drivetrain stuff. Even before an intercooler....you'll get much better results with methanol.

Many people have no idea how bad these cars need it and the awesome protection it offers.

....but ultimately it comes down to how far you are planning to take the "DD"

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)