Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:13 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Kellstrom
I don't know if my unit is broken but I have had it in for two weeks. I feel no difference honestly. If anything it has flattened out the power curve so its not entirely noticeable. I have the unit set to 40% for 93 octane.

After having in for a week I got the lean mixture error in bank 1 which usually means its lean in all banks... So... I have been taking it easy on it, running a slightly higher octane. I have not had the warning come back on but unless you are running E85 and can afford to rebuild an engine for fun this seems kinda risky.

I would not play around with this without a Wide band. I know MarioKart is making some downpipes with an 02 bung installed. I will be trying this out once they are fresh off the press.
The OEM oxygen sensor is a wideband! Just monitor it via the OBDII port using a scanning tool.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:33 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
For those that are using E85, the reported AFR will be inaccurate, because it's assuming that you are using gasoline with a stoichiometric ratio of 14.6. So you will be running slightly leaner than reported. You can easily correct for this.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
It reads in lambda. The AFR reading will be accurate regardless of ethanol content.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:24 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Terry @ BMS
It reads in lambda. The AFR reading will be accurate regardless of ethanol content.
I agree that the sensors read lambda - and lambda is independent of fuel type. But from what I understand when converting from lambda values to traditional AFR values a conversion factor has to be used. This conversion factor is dependent on fuel type.

So for example when I'm using DashCommand or ScanXL, the program is taking the actual lambda value and calculating AFR by multiplying lambda by the stoichiometric ratio of the fuel that it thinks I'm using (in this case gasoline ~ 14.7). So if you are using something different than gasoline this number will not be accurate.

The best thing is to just monitor lambda directly.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Because it's lambda (reading oxygen levels) it will always reflect 1.0 for the perfect mix. That is then converted to an A/F ratio. So long story short, the reading mechanism is completely accurate and usable for any ethanol mix. Just keep in mind you can run ethanol much leaner more safely than petroleum. E85 mixture air/fuel ratios of 13.5:1 are OK at higher RPM IMHO.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bavarian Cable

So is the Bavarian Cable on Burgers website going to delete cell codes automatically for catless downpipes like the Can Tool does? Or do you have to delete them manually in the software? I see the can tool is gone on the site now and has been replaced. Anyone using it so far with catless downpipe?

http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html

Old 04-16-2014, 12:19 PM
iminir56
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by go-cart
so is the bavarian cable on burgers website going to delete cell codes automatically for catless downpipes like the can tool does? Or do you have to delete them manually in the software? I see the can tool is gone on the site now and has been replaced. Anyone using it so far with catless downpipe?

Http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html
+1

Old 04-16-2014, 04:00 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Saw/heard Terry's 1series at Strasse today. Beastly!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:07 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
...E85 mixture air/fuel ratios of 13.5:1 are OK at higher RPM IMHO.
Is that because of the cooling effects of ethanol? I have been reading that running leaner with E85 is much more forgiving that gasoline.

It's funny up until recently I've always thought that ethanol was the worst thing you could do to your engine, I guess that was just propaganda.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Go-Cart
So is the Bavarian Cable on Burgers website going to delete cell codes automatically for catless downpipes like the Can Tool does? Or do you have to delete them manually in the software? I see the can tool is gone on the site now and has been replaced. Anyone using it so far with catless downpipe?

http://www.burgertuning.com/scanner.html
No, it does not work like that.

The bavarian technic is a software program run on a laptop. You plug it in, scan the car, read the codes, clear the codes etc. Due to the nature of running it on the laptop it is not practical to do this on the fly.

Any decent generic code reader will clear the cat code, but not automatically. You will have to read the code and clear it.

I do this with the scanguage. Get the code, read it and clear it. Takes around 1 minute. The only problem with my N18 is it will not clear it with the engine running, I need to turn it off, then turn to ignition on with engine not running to clear it. On my N14 I can clear it with the engine running, so can clear the code in 10 seconds whilst driving.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:01 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Saw/heard Terry's 1series at Strasse today. Beastly!
Thanks! It's running great! Can't wait to test out trans this weekend at ShiftSector.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Terry @ BMS
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Is that because of the cooling effects of ethanol? I have been reading that running leaner with E85 is much more forgiving that gasoline.

It's funny up until recently I've always thought that ethanol was the worst thing you could do to your engine, I guess that was just propaganda.
Yes it inherently lowers EGT more than gasoline does.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM
silvrevo
1st Gear
Those running a JCW n18 , how much more seat of the pants pull did you get using the JB+ over stock.

Thanks.

This thread is so jacked full of information going in all different directions.

Should have about 10 separate threads.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:44 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by silvrevo
Those running a JCW n18 , how much more seat of the pants pull did you get using the JB+ over stock. Thanks. This thread is so jacked full of information going in all different directions. Should have about 10 separate threads.
You should be about 20psi, more mods less boost. The difference is more than any other mod you could do. JB+ is a must

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM
silvrevo
1st Gear
Thanks Mario!

I was more asking about a noticeable power increase over stock. Very noticeable, or somewhat.

Otherwise the JCW car, my car ,,, would be all stock.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by silvrevo
Thanks Mario! I was more asking about a noticeable power increase over stock. Very noticeable, or somewhat. Otherwise the JCW car, my car ,,, would be all stock.
It's noticeable and if you improve the octane of fuel, above 91, you can feel it even more. Tune and downpipe make up for about 90% of power gains.

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 AM
minniehaha
2nd Gear
Because it's lambda (reading oxygen levels) it will always reflect 1.0 for the perfect mix. That is then converted to an A/F ratio. So long story short, the reading mechanism is completely accurate and usable for any ethanol mix. Just keep in mind you can run ethanol much leaner more safely than petroleum. E85 mixture air/fuel ratios of 13.5:1 are OK at higher RPM IMHO.
I am by no means at the level of know-how as Terry, but I second this ^^^

From all I've read, the O2 sensor is just that: it only reads the Oxygen content of the exhaust. Its signal (lambda) is sent to the ECM for adjustment of the ratio based on the sensor's reading. Thus the fuel content is moot* (in this closed loop system). That is what's such an awesome (IMO) thing about E85 blending. It's pluses all around!!

*well, the 'limit' on blending is the fuel trim 'hardcoded' into the DME

Last edited by minniehaha; 04-21-2014 at 10:06 AM. Reason: added note
Old 04-21-2014, 10:46 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minniehaha
I am by no means at the level of know-how as Terry, but I second this ^^^

From all I've read, the O2 sensor is just that: it only reads the Oxygen content of the exhaust. Its signal (lambda) is sent to the ECM for adjustment of the ratio based on the sensor's reading. Thus the fuel content is moot* (in this closed loop system). That is what's such an awesome (IMO) thing about E85 blending. It's pluses all around!!

*well, the 'limit' on blending is the fuel trim 'hardcoded' into the DME
I agree. I wasn't doing a good job at explaining my thoughts.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
minniehaha
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I agree. I wasn't doing a good job at explaining my thoughts.
It's all good, the forum can be a great sounding board; mix that ethanol up!!
After a couple weeks of downtime I am ready to resume the mixing plan :-)
(Will post findings in the other thread).

Old 04-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Mini Union
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Will do, Thanks...

Sometimes I wish Mini allowed us to do the old school trick of disconnecting the Neg battery terminal for 10 min and ECU re learns...

Also, step on the brake pedal...

Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 PM
larmini
3rd Gear
Does this jb + shorten the life of engine !turbo etc in any way. I mean running stock with it set at stock setting.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 PM
yesti
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by larmini
Does this jb + shorten the life of engine !turbo etc in any way. I mean running stock with it set at stock setting.
Probably. But no more than opting for the dealer JCW tune which still keeps the factory warranty. Which is the maximum life you can expect from the engine without problems.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Fooj GP
2nd Gear
Anyone noting high idle, mine is around 1,200k when warm. I have no idea if its the e85/93 blend i am using or the JB+? Also how bad would it be to run leaded fuel in the mini. I have a choice of running Sunoco standard (110oct) or i can get unleaded 260gt (100oct). Might give that 260 gt a try a few times, running e85 after sometime can clogged fuel injectors and rust in the tank fyi.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Lead will kill your cats and oxygen sensors.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
My idle is ~700 rpm.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Burger Motorsports (BMS) Tune(s)