Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Let's go over catless downpipes again

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013 | 07:21 AM
bateater
|
2nd Gear
Let's go over catless downpipes again

Hey guys, I've been searching around a bit on catless downpipes and all the discussions seems to be old on the topic so I figured I would start a new one. I have a 09 MCS and was trying to figure out my options, it seems you either cheap out and get one for $190 or you can go expensive and get one for $300+ I was wondering what people are running out there and suggest. I know people said that 09+ you'll get a check engine light no matter what, is this still the case? Can these be tuned out with say an accessport or something?

Old 08-07-2013 | 07:28 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Rochester, Michigan! You are literally down the street from me! I'm at Adams & South BLVD

Any catless downpipe will give you a CEL. Even with O2 sensor spacers. Since AccessPort is out of the picture now, the only tune to get rid of it is the Evolve tune. I have the Evolve-R tool with their tune on my car and have no emissions CELs. It's a beautiful thing

Old 08-07-2013 | 07:56 AM
bateater
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
Rochester, Michigan! You are literally down the street from me! I'm at Adams & South BLVD

Any catless downpipe will give you a CEL. Even with O2 sensor spacers. Since AccessPort is out of the picture now, the only tune to get rid of it is the Evolve tune. I have the Evolve-R tool with their tune on my car and have no emissions CELs. It's a beautiful thing

Oh that's awesome! I lived at walton and livernois so very close! Although now I've moved down to Ferndale at 9 and woodward with another fellow MINI owner.

Thank you for the info there, do you happen to have a downpipe by chance? and do you have any more info on the Evolve-r tool? I only see them for BMW's

Old 08-07-2013 | 08:11 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
I have a Riss Racing catless downpipe. It's basically 2.5" pipe. There are a number of other vendors that sell them now. Riss Racing is out of business.

Here is the link to the new Evolve-R tool. I have the older version that has a hardwired cable from the OBDII port to USB.

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/coop...ecu-remap_905/

Alex @ Evolve is wheeling and dealing right now on this thread. I would chime in here or contact him directly about getting a tool and tune.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-pricing.html

Alex@evolveautomotive.com

Old 08-07-2013 | 08:29 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane
I have a Riss Racing catless downpipe. It's basically 2.5" pipe. There are a number of other vendors that sell them now. Riss Racing is out of business.

Here is the link to the new Evolve-R tool. I have the older version that has a hardwired cable from the OBDII port to USB.

http://www.evolveautomotive.com/coop...ecu-remap_905/

Alex @ Evolve is wheeling and dealing right now on this thread. I would chime in here or contact him directly about getting a tool and tune.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...l-pricing.html

Alex@evolveautomotive.com
I posted a thread about lack of tunes for r56 cars. called evolve, he said his tuner has got out of tuning the r56 cars.

Old 08-07-2013 | 08:54 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Salman was the tuning magician over at Evolve in the UK. I know they've shifted their development focus to the BMW supercharging products they have been releasing. Kind of don't blame them. Deep pockets buy stuff like that!

Imran Arshad is one of the managers. You can contact him directly at...

imran@evolveautomotive.com

I would really be surprised if they got out of the MINI market totally. The tune I got from them is really great.

Old 08-08-2013 | 09:39 AM
bateater
|
2nd Gear
Thank you everyone for the info! Does anyone have any personal experience with any specific downpipes?

Old 08-08-2013 | 10:43 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
CT tool from BMS can clear downpipe codes

Old 08-08-2013 | 12:13 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Akrapovic Delete R...

Old 08-08-2013 | 03:26 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
[QUOTE=SPRINTCARS;3787712]I posted a thread about lack of tunes for r56 cars. called evolve, he said his tuner has got out of tuning the r56 cars.[/
EVOLVE !!! Please don't give up on these cars. You've already spent money on the equipment and research. DON'T STOP NOW MY FRIENDS. We need ya.

Old 08-09-2013 | 06:16 AM
bateater
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Akrapovic Delete R...
It seems very nice but sadly is a little out of my price range just for a downpipe.

Old 08-13-2013 | 12:09 AM
oldcracker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HorizonBLueN18
CT tool from BMS can clear downpipe codes
Did you clear codes from the catless downpipe? Did it come back?

On the BMS site, it says delete but don't know if the codes would come back

Appreciate your info

Old 08-13-2013 | 05:04 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldcracker
Did you clear codes from the catless downpipe? Did it come back?

On the BMS site, it says delete but don't know if the codes would come back

Appreciate your info
Unless you have your software changed (buy a flash tool and write to the ECU), error codes will always return unless you remove the initial cause.

Old 08-13-2013 | 06:34 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ignitionmodule

Unless you have your software changed (buy a flash tool and write to the ECU), error codes will always return unless you remove the initial cause.
As long as you have the can tool plugged you shouldn't throw a code for the dp, but as soon as you take it off you will throw a code

Old 08-13-2013 | 07:42 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bateater
Thank you everyone for the info! Does anyone have any personal experience with any specific downpipes?
I bought an obx 2 1/2" down pipe with no cat. I welded in place a hi-flow cat and deleted the second cat and resonator. it turned on the CEL immediately. cleared it and it came right back.

Old 08-13-2013 | 11:07 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Hey look at all these Michigan people. I am at Livernois and Auburn in Rochester Hills.

I have a catless DP by Exhaust Depot (terrible customer service, btw) and it throws CELs. I do not have a tune so I went the Akrapovic Delete R route. It works ok, but I see the CEL pop up every few days for a minute or two before it is cleared.

Old 08-13-2013 | 11:23 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Go with the catless DP by Evolve, for $260, you can't beat that!

Old 08-13-2013 | 11:38 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Agreed. I'm ordering one Thursday. I'm a little nervous as I won't be running a cat or resonator at all, just the rear muffler. I might have to put a small glass pack in line to tone the sound if it's too much.

Old 08-13-2013 | 07:01 PM
Step
2nd Gear
I personally have the AP. (you can get them on the marketplace no problem). I have run and installed most over the counter exhausts out there. The Open DP does make a noticeable difference, but with out a resonator or something to absorb the sound its a bit gross. I have bought a 2.5 inch resonator from vibrant and am going to re-install my custom made catless down pipe. Im just hesistant because of how annoying it sounded.

oh and no cel with the AP

Old 08-14-2013 | 04:55 AM
edwkmho
2nd Gear
I have Milltek catless DP with evolve mapping. It is so much fun to drive.

Old 08-14-2013 | 10:20 AM
bateater
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RobMuntean
Think this is what I'll be doing, and hello to all the fellow Michigan people! If any of you happen to be down at the dream cruise in Ferndale look for my blacked out MINI right off woodward and come get a beer.

Old 08-14-2013 | 10:27 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I took Saturday off so ill be there all day! Probably hanging around all the old school and some new school Mustangs. See ya there!

Old 08-14-2013 | 02:55 PM
Kaline
1st Gear
I am another Metro Detroit Mini owner. I have a 2013 R56 with an Evolve downpipe and Burger CAN tool waiting to be installed. Unfortunately I wont have the dp installed before Woodward though. My car is eclipse grey with black rims and roof - if you see me Saturday feel free to stop by and say hello

Old 08-15-2013 | 08:13 AM
bateater
|
2nd Gear
I will be on the lookout!

Old 08-15-2013 | 10:33 AM
Dr. Spade
4th Gear
I've been on the fence for getting a primary cat delete from Evolve on the GB. But I would prefer a 3" and would like to get full exhaust since that's what the available AP tune is for.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Let's go over catless downpipes again