Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Performance modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013 | 08:13 PM
Charmuth
|
1st Gear
Performance modifications

Just received my Evolve downpipe and put it in and love it so far. Other than that, everything is still stock. My goal is to make the most power out of my car on the stock motor (N18), and stock 6 speed auto transmission. Is 300whp a reasonable goal or is that hard to achieve?

I noticed outmotoring has a 45mm turbo upgrade which states that it makes 255hp with everything else being stock. So was thinking perhaps with intake + turbo-back exhaust + tune +intercooler, 300hp can be reached. Has anyone ever tried the 45mm turbo upgrade or any other turbo upgrade? If so, please share your experience or thoughts.

Also, I plan on getting intake + downpipe-back exhaust very soon and was looking at the NM engineering full intake + exhaust. If you know any better brands, also please share which brand makes the best quality and power at the same time.

And lastly please let me know where I can get the best tune for these cars also, I was thinking of OEtuning.

Thanks ahead

Old 08-13-2013 | 09:53 PM
jomama
4th Gear
so what are you loving about your evolve downpipe? inquiring minds want to know!

Old 08-13-2013 | 09:56 PM
Ch28Kid
4th Gear
Akropivic is most expensive and lightest.
FMIC go with Helix.
Intake, JCW Cone filter or DoS.
Tuned, look at other thread.

300 whp require too much work. Maybe get a 135i?

Old 08-14-2013 | 04:14 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
300whp on 2nd gen MINI in the U.S.? You bought the wrong car.

Honestly, the tuning support for the MINI is so little that if you're a horsepower junkie, just sell the car right now. You might get 190's and a bit more torque with just basic bolt ons, but getting tuned at an advanced level for new turbos/heads is non-existent at this point. Evolve was a best bet for N14 powered MINIs, but it looks like they're back to the drawing board after problems with U.S. only N14 powered MINIs. I really like my basic tune from them and it's a shame they're at the drawing board again. What a giant pain in the 8ss.

Put your money into driver training, tires, and suspension first. You'll be much faster than trying to make the MINI a Mustang. If you still want more, I hate to say it, but sell the MINI. Too bad the MINI is so much damn fun to drive.

Last edited by countryboyshane; 08-14-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-14-2013 | 04:53 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Charmuth
Is 300whp a reasonable goal or is that hard to achieve?

Old 08-14-2013 | 04:27 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
There are lots of threads on this type of question. There are also some experienced people on here that give good advice (like countryboy). I would recommend that you do a few things so that you can get better info:

1. Decide what you like about the MINI, and what you want to improve.
2. Figure out what kind of investment you want to make
3. spend a night or two reading old threads here

After that, ask specific questions, rather than general info, and provide some background:

1. What year MINI, what specifics
2. How will you be using the car? A second/third car, or a track rat, will have different priorities over a daily driver.
3. How much are you willing to spend, and will you be doing things yourself.

Some people can be harsh, and there are some brands that have bad reputations (and therefore get bashed quite a bit). Reading old threads will help.

As for your specific questions: Adding 50% hp to the MINI is expensive and difficult. The weak point in the MINI are the pistons when you start pushing big boost, they don't hold up. Also, to take advantage of many of the items that you specify, you will want a custom tune.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-14-2013 | 05:33 PM
pidge1114
Banned
So was thinking perhaps with intake + turbo-back exhaust + tune +intercooler, 300hp can be reached.
Horsepower isn't simple math. Adding up advertising gains doesn't work like that.

Besides that 300hp is almost impossible without MAJOR modifications to the engine and transmission, neither of which can handle that kind of power.

If you need that much power, sell the Mini.

Old 08-14-2013 | 09:20 PM
MINI4LYF
3rd Gear
Has anyone with an N18 engine posted dyno numbers of 230-240whp? That's kinda what I'm hoping for? I would like to upgrade my turbo but it seems that there's no one to tune a bigger turbo.

Old 08-15-2013 | 03:06 PM
Charmuth
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane

Honestly, the tuning support for the MINI is so little that if you're a horsepower junkie, just sell the car right now. You might get 190's and a bit more torque with just basic bolt ons, but getting tuned at an advanced level for new turbos/heads is non-existent at this point. Evolve was a best bet for N14 powered MINIs, but it looks like they're back to the drawing board after problems with U.S. only N14 powered MINIs. I really like my basic tune from them and it's a shame they're at the drawing board again. What a giant pain in the 8ss.

Put your money into driver training, tires, and suspension first. You'll be much faster than trying to make the MINI a Mustang. If you still want more, I hate to say it, but sell the MINI. Too bad the MINI is so much damn fun to drive.
Haha you are absolutely right about it being so fun to drive. Coilovers just got here and I should be putting it in soon. So what you're basically saying is that there isn't a tune for the N18 motor with basic bolt-ons yet or there isnt someone willing to tune it if I went ahead and did big engine mods like upgraded my turbo?

Last edited by Charmuth; 08-15-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 08-15-2013 | 03:27 PM
Charmuth
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mbwicz
1. Decide what you like about the MINI, and what you want to improve.
2. Figure out what kind of investment you want to make
3. spend a night or two reading old threads here

After that, ask specific questions, rather than general info, and provide some background:

1. What year MINI, what specifics
2. How will you be using the car? A second/third car, or a track rat, will have different priorities over a daily driver.
3. How much are you willing to spend, and will you be doing things yourself.

Have fun,
Mike
Thanks for the write up!

Ok so it's a 2013 MCS. I'll be using it as a 1st or 2nd car. I love how it drives, I've had mostly american cars so the most thing I like about it is the handling. Like I mentioned up there I just received my coilovers and will be putting that in soon so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Because I've mostly been an american car enthusiast that kinda shows that I enjoy straight line performance rather than a race course, but I'm willing to give that a try. I guess the most thing I want to improve is how it does on a drag strip (and I know your probably thinking that I bought the wrong car haha). I'm willing to spend up to 4-5 grand for under the hood mods, I was able to install the down pipe with my friend so I'm certain I can do most of the things myself and with the help of my buddy.

So from your general knowledge about these cars and the N18 engine, what is the highest and safest expected hp numbers. Like I asked above also, is there a tune out for the N18 engine or how would that work?

Old 08-15-2013 | 03:54 PM
DKIKK77
2nd Gear
Not sure where you are located but it sounds like you need a road trip to South Florida for your tuning options. In my opinion you need to find Lenny who has been with RENNtech, PAW, and Group4 Autosports. Not sure where he is today. I've heard good things about Luis from PAW in Miami too. There may be a piggyback option soon but if youre doing those kinds of upgrades you need a custom dyno tune specific to your car. Check out the tuning thread too.

Old 08-15-2013 | 06:56 PM
mbwicz
6th Gear
Somebody has started a quarter-mile thread here. I know what you mean about driving american cars, but you get addicted to how the MINI drives. there is also a thread about tunes for the N18. What you need to keep in mind is that there is about 200 hp coming out of 1.6 L (about 100 cubic inches). Its a pretty well tuned setup from the factory. There are cast pistons in the MINI, so if you get too aggressive with the tune, you will likely break a ring land. The other problem is that physics is against you. Putting another 50 hp will challenge you for traction, so a limited slip is a good idea to think about.

There are plenty of options for bolt-ons, but how many of them will make a difference? I would keep reading threads here, and find someone who can give you some advice that you trust (Way Motor Works, NM engineering, Helix, for example). A downpipe is a good place to start. You will soon hear about an upgraded intercooler, and a tune should soon follow. Most intakes and exhaust systems are more for sound than performance, but again, you will likely notice a 15 hp gain in a 2600 lb car.

I have a basically stock engine in my 2008, but with a tune it runs well and I can't keep the smile off of my face. See if there is a MINI club nearby to you, chance are someone is doing the same things as you but has a head start.

Have fun,
Mike

Old 08-16-2013 | 06:06 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
Thanks for the write up!

Ok so it's a 2013 MCS. I'll be using it as a 1st or 2nd car. I love how it drives, I've had mostly american cars so the most thing I like about it is the handling. Like I mentioned up there I just received my coilovers and will be putting that in soon so I'm excited to see how it turns out. Because I've mostly been an american car enthusiast that kinda shows that I enjoy straight line performance rather than a race course, but I'm willing to give that a try. I guess the most thing I want to improve is how it does on a drag strip (and I know your probably thinking that I bought the wrong car haha). I'm willing to spend up to 4-5 grand for under the hood mods, I was able to install the down pipe with my friend so I'm certain I can do most of the things myself and with the help of my buddy.

So from your general knowledge about these cars and the N18 engine, what is the highest and safest expected hp numbers. Like I asked above also, is there a tune out for the N18 engine or how would that work?

Excellent straight line speed will be hard-ish to achieve off the line (a low powered FWD car is never good), but I totally understand that desire. Who doesn't like blowing the doors off someone?

I think PAW does N18 engines. They also have a list of parts that they know how to tune for. Give Luis a call. I have been working with Will at Group4 and he deals with PAW and Luis and both have been extremely helpfull.

I think $4-5K is a good budget for the power mods, but whether it's off the line or out of a corner, you need a way to put the power down. Here is my parts list for you:

1) FMIC
2) Downpipe (you already have this obviously)
3) I would flirt with the idea of a new, quick spooling turbo.
4) OS Giken or JM Turbos Clutch/Flywheel
5) Consider a new diff as well (Quaiffe seems to be the way to go on this)
6) Wider wheels and really sticky tires.

That right there might be approaching the better part of $5k and if there is labor you can't do yourself you may go over $6k. Anything you can do to reduce rotational mass will go a long way in seeing/feeling gains. It will be quite a project...

Old 08-16-2013 | 06:35 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by countryboyshane

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU !! he nailed that one.

Old 08-16-2013 | 06:42 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
be very careful like counryboy said. engine mods can cause you a major nightmare. I know first hand. hine sight is 20/20. if I know what I know now 4 months ago I would have sent the computer to NM or renntech and just did the full suspension and brake upgrade. good tires that stick like glue. unfortunately I have to back track all the mods to see what is causing a engine half power light.

Old 08-16-2013 | 10:37 PM
Lotus_
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
be very careful like counryboy said. engine mods can cause you a major nightmare. I know first hand. hine sight is 20/20. if I know what I know now 4 months ago I would have sent the computer to NM or renntech and just did the full suspension and brake upgrade. good tires that stick like glue. unfortunately I have to back track all the mods to see what is causing a engine half power light.
sorry ,can i ask u what is the savest mods for r56 with n18 engine then??

i already order akra catback also wondering to change my suspension

better go for eibach spring or kw coilover??some said if i change my spring it will make my stock shocks not last longer

Old 08-18-2013 | 08:22 AM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Lotus_

better go for eibach spring or kw coilover??some said if i change my spring it will make my stock shocks not last longer
if I did it all over again; I would stop with the engine mods right were you are and put a suspension system under it since it wont mess with the computer like engine mods will until a company comes out with a system that they can guarantee it will not cause engine lights or a limp mode condition. or somebody close to you can perform a dyno tune. let others be the ginny pig.

Old 08-18-2013 | 11:12 AM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Honestly if I were to do it all over again I would have just gotten another car. It is a slippery slope that can leave bitter and discontent. I love how quick my MINI is now but it absolutely sucks driving it on the street. It is way better on the track where I am worried about every little bump in the road. Plus you can add ask the parts in the world to your car and without a proper time it will be just a gigantic waste of time.

Sent from me being awesome around my MINI!!

Old 08-18-2013 | 11:34 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Charmuth,

Back to your original question. I installed a 42MM upgrade turbo in my N14 fJCW when my oem turbo failed. It runs fine. Haven't measured the performance difference, don't care to know.

If you go with a 44mm you will more than likely have to replace the airbox inlet tube because it will not fit over the new opening. On the 42mm it was big enough that I had to take a heat gun to the stock inlet pipe and heat it up to get it over the opening.

Also if you went with a catless DP you will more than likely get codes for the O2 sensor. There are plenty of threads out there on if you do or not. Some say you won't, but the vendors also state the DP is not returnable if you code.

Can't help you with the N18 tuning.

Old 08-18-2013 | 12:14 PM
SPRINTCARS
5th Gear
I wouldn't bother with any. For example the CAI's aren't cold air. You take out the factory box. Install and exposed air filter to suck in the heat going around the engine in the engine bay. What's that do, it makes the ECU pull timing and boost to prevent detonation. So what the point of it ? All you did is increase flow efficiency. But the heat takes away the gain. AEM is the only true CAI type of system for these cars. It picks up from the hood scoop and you utilize the factory duct as a secondary intake source to the air box to eliminate under hood heat from entering the intake to the turbo. Why go with a down pipe that creates a CEL that its obvious company's couldn't get a handle on the N14 computers but people are looking to modify the N18's with a more complex computer yet. We ALL should abandon the aftermarket engine mods and put full suspensions under our cars (that are available with no issues) until they get a grip on the computer tuning situation with the N 14's and N18's. start hitting these company's in the wallets by lack of sales and maybe they will start developing things that make it worth buying with out any problems.

Old 08-18-2013 | 12:40 PM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lotus_

Same story for the N18. These BMW ECUs just get worse and worse.

Search the forums for benefits/disadvantages of lowering springs and coilvovers. It has been discussed many many times on NAM. I for one love my coilovers, but I drive my MINI mostly on track. It depends what you want to do with the car.

Old 08-18-2013 | 12:59 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Porthos
Honestly if I were to do it all over again I would have just gotten another car. It is a slippery slope that can leave bitter and discontent. I love how quick my MINI is now but it absolutely sucks driving it on the street. It is way better on the track where I am worried about every little bump in the road. Plus you can add ask the parts in the world to your car and without a proper time it will be just a gigantic waste of time.

Sent from me being awesome around my MINI!!
+1 if I ever decide to sell my MINI it definitely won't be another one.

Old 08-18-2013 | 06:30 PM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
If you want something to eliminate CEL's, there is the....Akrapovic Delete-R....pricey though.

Or you can get the BMS CAN tool which also eliminates it, but it always has to be connected to the OBD to do the hijack.

I know it's not through a traditional flash tune...but those are options.

....as it's been stated, suspension is certainly the best way to start with the vehicles.

Old 08-19-2013 | 12:38 AM
Melangell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPRINTCARS
I wouldn't bother with any. For example the CAI's aren't cold air. You take out the factory box. Install and exposed air filter to suck in the heat going around the engine in the engine bay. What's that do, it makes the ECU pull timing and boost to prevent detonation. So what the point of it ? All you did is increase flow efficiency. But the heat takes away the gain. AEM is the only true CAI type of system for these cars...
Hmmmm... Never heard of DoS?

For the Op, I'm totally happy with what I've done so far, but then again, I never had any illusions or need to hit 300hp.

Good luck.

Old 08-20-2013 | 03:42 PM
Charmuth
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 05r50
Charmuth,

Back to your original question. I installed a 42MM upgrade turbo in my N14 fJCW when my oem turbo failed. It runs fine. Haven't measured the performance difference, don't care to know.

If you go with a 44mm you will more than likely have to replace the airbox inlet tube because it will not fit over the new opening. On the 42mm it was big enough that I had to take a heat gun to the stock inlet pipe and heat it up to get it over the opening.

Also if you went with a catless DP you will more than likely get codes for the O2 sensor. There are plenty of threads out there on if you do or not. Some say you won't, but the vendors also state the DP is not returnable if you code.

Can't help you with the N18 tuning.
Yea I did get a CEL actually after the down pipe. So when you upgraded your turbo did you feel a gain in performance? This question might be n00by lol but did you have to get a tune when you upgraded your turbo or did the ECU adapt to it?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Performance modifications