Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Melted valve Cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:35 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
Wow. That is **** poor customer service! And a **** poor product to hit the market without enough testing to have found this issue. It's a part you might expect people to buy for a perfomance vehicle, they didn't anticipate someone tracking their car once in a while with it on??? What kind of testing DID they do?

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:36 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Anything yet? I'm curious to see what they're doing... I mean calls/emails from a customer with a complaint getting completely blown off while they come on this forum to post up more promotions to get customers... Pathetic business tactics. "We don't test our ****, it might fail, it might cause issues, but once the sale is over, you're nobody to us" is exactly what I'm seeing here.

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:37 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Oh then you saw the truth. HMMMMMMM

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:42 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
If someone caused a problem like this, in this case by removing the factory heat shield, then blamed me, I'd be pretty aggravated myself. I can't see a thing wrong with how M7 replied in here.

I still question how they can be cool with a shield/heat reflective material such as this being where it is, just holding all that heat over the center section and cold side of the turbo. And then say laughable things in their video like it PREVENTS cooking the bearing, when I can't see that doing anything but holding heat over the bearing that otherwise would escape into the engine bay and atmosphere.

Sucks the customer didn't mention removing the factory shield and potentially causing this issue and then lying about M7 never replying.

I still see quite a few flaws in most of their products. Multiple people speaking of poor fitment of their body parts(scoops etc), right down to a heat shield that would hold hot air over the cold side and bearing of a turbo(which a turbo blanket would not). I'll still steer clear of their products after seeing some of their products compared to some of their total talking-out-the-*** advertisement videos.
I forgot your back peddling one after the truth comes out.

Old 09-02-2013 | 05:49 PM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Lets just go back and blame mini for having a plastic valve cover. The Bastards.

Old 09-02-2013 | 06:04 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
all i had to go on in my original comments, Bram, was that he installed the heat shield, tracked the car, valve cover melted. So I assumed there to be a direct correlation. So it wasn't back peddling, it was the OP leaving valuable information out in the first place making it look like it was 100% M7's fault. I still stand behind having an aluminum shield lined with a heat reflective cloth an inch above the turbo soaking the cold side and bearing in all the hot sides heat a **** poor design.

Old 09-02-2013 | 07:12 PM
dboard7
|
4th Gear
I do have emails going back and forth with M7 before the issue happened. I still haven't received anything it may have got lost in cyber space i know it does happen some times.

As far as the warranty my dealer is normally really good but they said that the heat shield caused the damage and it shouldn't have made a difference if the oem heat shield was there or not. They said if i just removed the oem heat shield and did not install the M7 one that it would have been covered. They know i track the car i cant real hide it when i come in with a roll bar and corbeau seats and harnesses in the car but they also covered my clutch at 20,000 miles because it was under the warranty so they have been really good

i did remove the factory heat shield and never said i do not even the pics that i put up in the beginning showed that the shield was removed. But it never says anywhere to keep the shield in place or you may severely damage your car it just sas you can out it over your stock one. it does say on the M7 website that the shield directs the heat down and whatever else will be soaked up by the blanket obviously this is not the case with the oem shield removed.

The part was purchased new not used from a 3rd parts still wrapped from M7 and even included the parts list that did not have the spacers listed on the parts list i still have it and they are not even on the check list at all.

Name:  20130902_211821_zps984ba496.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  47.9 KB

I haven't had a chance to reply to the posts that have been up here my girlfriend was admitted to the hospital in the city and it has been a hell of a weekend she is doing well and will be going back in for more tests to clear things up.

M7 can you please re-send the email to me that you sent i have because i do not have it. if you like i can give you another email address to send it to

Last edited by dboard7; 09-02-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2013 | 08:16 AM
dboard7
|
4th Gear
still haven't received a follow up email I asked for it to be re-sent 2 days ago now and also the first time it was requested it took a couple days as well so I have not once received an email from M7? if you would like another email address like I stated above I would be more than happy to provide one to you so we can get this cleared up I would even if you just re-send the one that was send last Friday please

Old 09-04-2013 | 08:24 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dboard7
still haven't received a follow up email I asked for it to be re-sent 2 days ago now and also the first time it was requested it took a couple days as well so I have not once received an email from M7? if you would like another email address like I stated above I would be more than happy to provide one to you so we can get this cleared up I would even if you just re-send the one that was send last Friday please
If you took the factory heat shield off and only ran the m7 heat shield that was an error on your part and m7 really doesn't have anything else to do with it. Customer Error. You didn't read directions.

Old 09-04-2013 | 08:41 AM
dboard7
|
4th Gear
No where in the install instructions does it state in the instructions from m7 to remove or not remove the oem heat shield is what im trying to get at so I don't really see how it Is user error? But im not trying to go after m7 for a bunch of money I would just like a response here. just because a customer made a mistake doesn't mean just ignore them, and im sure that was not there intention at all either I know mistakes happen and emails get lost but many other companies would go out of there way to make sure to clear things up right away I know I would with any of my customers and work something out with them to keep them happy so everyone wins

Old 09-04-2013 | 08:43 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Great instructions by M7...not.

Old 09-04-2013 | 08:44 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I went to their website. The instructions are terrible.

Old 09-04-2013 | 08:47 AM
HorizonBLueN18
3rd Gear
I just looked it up, if you want to get technical. all the instructions say is remove the two bolts, put the new bolts in, and put their heat shield in. It doesn't say anywhere to remove the factory heat shield.

http://www.m7tuning.com/techinfo/ins...heatshield.pdf

i'm not saying M7 was right in the way they are handling this and i will never buy a product from them, but if i was reading the instructions i would not remove the factory heat shield. the istructions would have said remove the heat shield completely rather than just specifically saying remove two bolts

I just took some high temp paint and painted my heat factory heat shield flat black. makes me happy and cost 6 bucks.

Last edited by HorizonBLueN18; 09-04-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2013 | 08:47 AM
dboard7
|
4th Gear
that is exactly what im getting at it doesn't say either way it should state in the instructions that the oem heat shield must stay in place to avoid damage, im not trying to bash anyone, I did get upset that I didn't here back from them and I had to spend a few hundred bucks but who wouldn't be?
But my main point of this whole thing was to help everyone here know not to use the heat shield if you are planning on tracking your car that's all

Old 09-07-2013 | 09:39 PM
dboard7
|
4th Gear
I agree it was an expensive lesson and I know never to buy another m7 product. And all the people I race with here in the Midwest and Chicago land area to steer away.
On a good note I got the new cover on an the car is running good again and ill be at Gingerman Raceway next weekend!