Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Bypass Valve

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 08:24 AM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bypass Valve

Ive been thinking about a detroit tuned BPV

from what I have read... it seems to be more useful on 02/03 build MCS

I have an 02 build MCS

I have also read that a DTBPV would be only useful if you had YOYOing

I have only about 58k on my 03 I have not experienced YOYO... I think?

i imagine YOYO being pretty noticeable? like a surging or hiccup at a certain rpm

the only thing i notice... is i get a bit of lag when WOT but i think that may be the flat spot everyone speaks of (Im getting my ecu flashed through WAY and his flash supposedly will get rid of it)

i guess my question is if i dont have yoyo now will it come later with mileage?
is it really necessary? I have read differing opinions... and ive read that some people have had issues after installing...

should I get one just in case... (if i find a great deal..)

Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Wait till after the Way flash, see what you think, after.
Basiclly the DTBV has a stronger spring & has been checked for butterfly allignment to get the best seal as possible, the stiffer spring helps the close speed & timing of the butterfly valve, as well as holding it shut better so that it doesn't flutter in the case of variations in vacuum/boost & air flow @ WOT (which gives you the YoYo, it's caused by the valve fluttering from a weak spring)
Besides the YoYo, the best way to know if you would benefit from one or not is to have a boost gauge & pay attention to it, to see if any of these issues or a reduction or lack of boost, either are there or become apparent down the road.

Most of the issues I remember hearing about had to do with install issues ( loose, missed or damaged vac. lines or connections) or simply people expecting more than what it's really supposed to do.

Old 10-02-2013, 09:26 AM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
interesting I am using a ultragauge for boost...

I havent seen anything out of the ordinary....(not that I know what to look for)

but im seeing 9-10 psi mid range... 15+ to redline...

actually I am not even sure what I should be seeing with 15% and 2% at sea level i think (bay area, ca)

with yoyoing or weird symptoms... will i see changes in boost... like for example sake... at around 3-4 k WOT 10psi to like 1psi back to 9psi... etc

Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
You may get full boost slightly earlier in the RPM, but again, because of what it is, any changes, and or the amount of change, will simply have a lot to do with the condition of your current BPV.

Old 10-02-2013, 10:52 AM
vietnameeh
4th Gear
i guess for my year MCS, is this one of those things that WILL EVENTUALLY happen... or I should just monitor for now and i might get lucky...

kind of like upper engine mount... its not if it will fail... its when?

Old 10-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Jake02mcs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 02 MCS has a detroit tuned BPV, plus a bunch more goodies, but it makes the car almost undriveable in traffic, it will snap into boost so damn fast it hurts, I also have a stage 3 clutch and mods that boost hp to mid 230's at altitude, so it could be just the set up, but, i know that with the stock BPV performance gains will be the same, only change it when you are getting into a lot of power, or constant aggressive driving just my 2 cents