Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Blown turbocharger :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 06:44 PM
LSpivak
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown turbocharger :(

Hi all!
This is my first time posting in a forum so bear with me... And apologies if I'm breaking any forum "rules."
I bought my 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman "S" in 2008 under the MINI NEXT Warranty.
In the spring, my timing pulley broke causing my timing chain to make a lot of noise, and also causing a loss of power/trouble accelerating. I started hearing the noise weeks before but it almost sounded like a hole in the muffler so I didn't think it was serious until the power issues developed.
Anyway... they replaced it under warranty and had to replace a bunch of stuff around it too as the loose chain damaged surrounding housing, etc. It turns out, this pulley was replaced when the previous owner had the car as well, but they have since revised the pulley from a composite product to metal so it is less likely to break.
Last week, I started to hear the noise again and lose power, so I took it back to MINI where they confirmed it was the timing pulley yet again. (WTF!) So they replaced it under warranty again but when they took it for a drive after, they realized the problems accelerating were still there.
Further investigation found that my Turbocharger is blown. (MEGA-blown.) They say that the two problems are unrelated, so I have to pay for the Turbo repair ($4,000) which isn't covered under warranty.
Is there any way the bad timing chain/pulley could have screwed up my Turbo? If so, I would think that the warranty should cover it.
They say the two are unrelated but it seems to me that timing should be pretty important to the function of the vehicle...
Any thoughts?
Lauren

Old 11-05-2013, 04:59 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The two are systems are not directly related to each other. If you had a catastrophic timing chain system failure you'd basically be looking at a new engine. It has happened to many people. The most important piece of advice for the MINI and all other high performance cars is to check your oil on a weekly basis.

The only way I would see the turbo failing because of a failed timing chain system is if tiny little pieces of debris from a chain guide miraculously got through the oil pickup, past the oil filter, and blocked the turbo oil supply eventually failing the turbo. The odds of that happening are so incredibly small I would not anticipate that to be the issue. Turbos do go bad over time, but should not fail at a relatively low mileage.

The price you are being for quoted to fix the turbo is extremely high. Where do you live? There may be an independent MINI shop around that can provide you great service at a more fair price. DO NOT pay $4000!!!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:02 AM
LSpivak
1st Gear
I live in Ontario, Canada. There are no independent MINI shops in my area.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:47 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
On top of the 4yr/50,000 miles the Next Program adds another 2yrs and 80K km to your warranty starting from the original in service date. Are you over either of those numbers ?

Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 AM
LSpivak
1st Gear
No I'm not over either of those numbers but the MINI Next Warranty doesn't cover everything that the factory warranty covers.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:32 AM
borderwave2
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The turbo should be covered unless they can prove that you damaged it by running super high boost or something. I would ask why they denied it.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:40 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Engine components ARE part of the program.

The Turbo is listed in MINI's own parts catalog under section #11 Engine as a component of the Engine, NOT the exhaust.....

IMO it should be covered.

Call MINI USA....

Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 AM
LSpivak
1st Gear
Hmmm I'll dig out my MINI Next paperwork tonight and see what it says. There might be a specific exclusion for the Turbo. I would think something so vital to the car's operation should be covered.
Thanks Gray Raven!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Here is PDF copy of the manual.

MINI Consumer Information Booklet

Have seen failures which include cracked housings and fin/blade deterioration. IMO all related to the fact it was mounted within 6 inches of the catalytic converter....so as to act as a heat sink for it.

Combine that with poor oil fluid supply via lubrication feed line blockage from that component also being too close to cat ( Reason for Heat shield campaign ) = Premature Turbo failure.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:53 AM
LSpivak
1st Gear
Thank you!
I'm going to look into it further when I get home tonight as our Canadian rules might be different. I want to read over all the documentation I got when I bought the car.
Thank you!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:35 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LSpivak
I live in Ontario, Canada. There are no independent MINI shops in my area.
Drive across the border to Michigan. Detroit Tuned is based in Clinton Township. They are an excellent shop. There are a handful of MINI owners in the local Michigan MINI Motoring Club that make the drive across the border all the time. It is worth the money you will save.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:38 AM
LSpivak
1st Gear
Ontario is a big place... Detroit is a 7 hour drive for me. Barely made it to the MINI dealership as it is!

Old 11-05-2013, 09:49 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Ontario is a big place... Detroit is a 7 hour drive for me. Barely made it to the MINI dealership as it is!
+1 on the geography lesson.

Where are you in ON, LSpivak?

Old 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would definitely check out all the paperwork for the MINI Next policy, because I would be very, very surprised if the turbo isn't covered under the warranty, because as Raven said, it's a component of the engine, not the exhaust. The downpipe is where the exhaust starts, since technically, the turbo is more intake related than exhaust related.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:25 AM
bhegg
3rd Gear
Seems odd if the turbo would not be covered. Definitely confirm this. You should not have to pay for this repair.

Additionally, they should figure out WHY the turbo failed so it doesn't happen again for the same reason. So, if there's some lubrication issue, then they need to fix that.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:30 AM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The turbo is an engine component, as stated multiple times now. If you have a drivetrain warranty, you have a turbo warranty unless there is specific verbiage stating otherwise. Is there another dealership in your area you could explain this to? Warranty work still pays the shop, so they should be HAPPY to help you. I never understood why shops try to deny warranty work, when they still get paid(though maybe no full rate, they should know how to change the turbo on these cars by now, it's not hard).

If there is no other dealership to give your business to, or they also deny it, and it is not stated in your paper work to NOT be covered; I would call MINI USA, have your warranty paper work in hand, and ask them straight up "I'm looking into the MINI NEXT program, is a failed turbo covered?" Get it from them that it is, take your price quote from the dealership that states you need a new turbo and their cost of doing it, and force them via MINI USA to do the work under warranty.

If all fails and it turns out the turbo IS blown but IS NOT covered, get in touch with somewhere like JMTurboCoopers, get a factory or upgraded turbo for MUCH MUCH cheaper and look into doing the work yourself if you have the tools and basic mechanical aptitude to do so. It's really not a hard job, just might be time consuming your first time.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:38 AM
LSpivak
1st Gear
Thanks everyone!
I am in Northern Ontario (Muskoka area - specifically Huntsville) so my options are limited when it comes to MINI repair shops. My nearest MINI dealer is already an hour away.
Armed with this info & support, I will go over my warranty paperwork and see if there are specific turbo exclusions. If not, I will call MINI head office and demand satisfaction! LOL

Old 11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
LSpivak
1st Gear
UPDATE!!!!
I emailed the sales guy who sold me the car and explained what happened and asked him to send me the warranty information from when I bought the car.
He pitched a fit to the service department and now my repair is covered under warranty!

Thanks everyone for your advice and support!
I probably wouldn't have investigated this further without you!

Old 11-05-2013, 04:16 PM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Effin - A

So happy for you

Old 11-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Great news. Glad we can help.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:57 AM
solskjaer1999
4th Gear
UPDATE!!!!
I emailed the sales guy who sold me the car and explained what happened and asked him to send me the warranty information from when I bought the car.
He pitched a fit to the service department and now my repair is covered under warranty!

Thanks everyone for your advice and support!
I probably wouldn't have investigated this further without you!

Glad everything worked out for you! FYI, if the turbo goes out again (let's say you've put a lot of miles on it) and it isn't covered under warranty, gpopshop does turbo rebuilds for about $600-700 US. They would be a useful resource if this ever comes up again.

http://gpopshop.com/

But seriously, I'm really happy for you. Must feel like a massive weight has been lifted off your shoulders.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:35 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by InjectedGT
The turbo is an engine component, as stated multiple times now. If you have a drivetrain warranty, you have a turbo warranty unless there is specific verbiage stating otherwise. Is there another dealership in your area you could explain this to? Warranty work still pays the shop, so they should be HAPPY to help you. I never understood why shops try to deny warranty work, when they still get paid(though maybe no full rate, they should know how to change the turbo on these cars by now, it's not hard).

If there is no other dealership to give your business to, or they also deny it, and it is not stated in your paper work to NOT be covered; I would call MINI USA, have your warranty paper work in hand, and ask them straight up "I'm looking into the MINI NEXT program, is a failed turbo covered?" Get it from them that it is, take your price quote from the dealership that states you need a new turbo and their cost of doing it, and force them via MINI USA to do the work under warranty.

If all fails and it turns out the turbo IS blown but IS NOT covered, get in touch with somewhere like JMTurboCoopers, get a factory or upgraded turbo for MUCH MUCH cheaper and look into doing the work yourself if you have the tools and basic mechanical aptitude to do so. It's really not a hard job, just might be time consuming your first time.
If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by get a factory or upgraded turbo? You mean JCW turbo?

@LSpivak
Glad to hear your getting taken care of, must be a relief!

Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM
InjectedGT
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
If you don't mind me asking what do you mean by get a factory or upgraded turbo? You mean JCW turbo?

@LSpivak
Glad to hear your getting taken care of, must be a relief!
I mean that JMTurboCoopers offers upgraded turbo's as well as factory spec turbo's.