Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Another DIY Intake Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Another DIY Intake Mod

I've been contemplating getting an open filter just for the sound. I have a JB+ now and I can barely hear the turbo and BPV. From what I've read and seen on line, an open filter makes a big sound difference and slight HP difference. I don't like the term CAI because an open filter isn't a "Cold Air" intake unless it has a flange and I even question those. The best looking one I have found is the K&N Typhoon, but the price seems very high. I like how it uses the bottom half of the stock intake housing though

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...prod=69-2023TS

For 1/4 the price, I could do this myself. Their box is really cosmetic since it's open to the engine compartment anyway. I put together some pieces after measuring things up and I think this will work well. With the bottom half of the air box in place, maybe it will still get some cold air too. See the drawing below. I just placed an order and should have the pieces by next weekend. I got it all on amazon for $61 shipped, and the surface area of the filter is double the stock drop in panel filter.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Air Filter Model (1).pdf (42.7 KB, 1050 views)

Last edited by carhopper; 11-09-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:44 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as long as the maf housing stays stock, so be it. it's going to be tough improving on the oem cold air induction setup

Old 11-13-2013, 03:35 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing to think about with MAF sensors is making sure that the air flows the same way over the sensor after the mods.

Back when the WRXs first came out they had a lot of issues with CAIs and the MAFs misreading the actual airflow.

Good Luck!

Old 11-13-2013, 03:39 PM
ke3ee
3rd Gear
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
And you want all of the hot and dirty air from under the hood instead of Colder clean air from the outside why?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:50 PM
bmx045
4th Gear
Maf'ed cars typically need a tune if youre going to change the characteristics of the airflow. Maf cars have a table that equate a certain voltage to a certain grams of air. This is calibrated based on the stock setup with a stock filter.

Changing this can lean out a car. The car can and will compensate but there usually remains some sort of drivability effect(stuttering), since ecu's calculate load based on maf readings, load is a big factor in how the boost and wastegate is managed. And theres limits to how much it will compensate for airflow adjustments out of the programmed range, im not sure what the mini software allows in terms of a/f ratio trim adjustments.

This is why i wish bmw just carried over speed density. Its very adaptable and less sensitive towards one parameter in general.

Sent from my banana phone

Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
And you want all of the hot and dirty air from under the hood instead of Colder clean air from the outside why?
why is the air under the hood any more dirtier than the air outside???

its not like the exhaust is venting into the engine bay....

if anything ide imagnine the air under the hood would be cleaner because its harder for dirt/ debris to make its way into the engine bay and up and into the filter, than it is to be sucked up from the bumper like it is on the stock intake.

as for temps, ive been running a CAI for the past few months, my intake temps are ~8-10*F over ambient......which is approximatelly what i was seeing with the stock intake.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:04 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Lots of people have done something similar but many of them get the CEL. I'm hoping the JB+ will compensate. I take the same 350 mile trip on Monday and back on Friday nearly every week and I get 34.5mpg driving a mix between 60 and 75. I'm hoping for a loud turbo sound, better gas mileage, and no CEL. Two of my parts came and the reducer comes tomorrow. It only cost me $61 so I don't have a lot to lose. I'll post my results tomorrow night on the CEL and power, then maybe Monday on gas mileage. By the way, as you can see in my signature I have the Alta drop in foam filter. When I installed this, I would swear my gas mileage got worse, but it did transmit sound a little better which gave me the feeling of more power. I'm hoping this is better. My gas mileage last week suddenly dropped to 32 and I thought it was the JB+, but I opened up the filter housing and a big clod of mud had made it's way in there clogging up half of the filter. I cleaned that up, cleaned and re-oiled the filter, and it was back to 34.5 again. That exercise is what prompted me to try something new.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:26 AM
bmx045
4th Gear
Originally Posted by carhopper
Lots of people have done something similar but many of them get the CEL. I'm hoping the JB+ will compensate. I take the same 350 mile trip on Monday and back on Friday nearly every week and I get 34.5mpg driving a mix between 60 and 75. I'm hoping for a loud turbo sound, better gas mileage, and no CEL. Two of my parts came and the reducer comes tomorrow. It only cost me $61 so I don't have a lot to lose. I'll post my results tomorrow night on the CEL and power, then maybe Monday on gas mileage. By the way, as you can see in my signature I have the Alta drop in foam filter. When I installed this, I would swear my gas mileage got worse, but it did transmit sound a little better which gave me the feeling of more power. I'm hoping this is better. My gas mileage last week suddenly dropped to 32 and I thought it was the JB+, but I opened up the filter housing and a big clod of mud had made it's way in there clogging up half of the filter. I cleaned that up, cleaned and re-oiled the filter, and it was back to 34.5 again. That exercise is what prompted me to try something new.

The JB+ will exacerbate the issue, it will lean the car out because the JB+ tricks the ECU into thinking less air is coming into the engine, thus causing the ecu to up it's wastegate duty (thus boost). The ECU fuels the car by reading the grams of air at the maf coming in, and with the JB that will be less, that means LESS fuel will be used. Coupled with the higher boost this will cause the engine to run lean until the ECU adjusts it's short and long term fuel trims to achieve the AFR it wants, until then, it runs leans on boost while the ECU makes its adjustments.

Problem is, the ECU has a limit to this compensation, and if it reaches that limit it will through a lean CEL or a rich CEL (depending on what type of airflow change you're causing). Adding an intake with the JB+ is not a good idea because it will cause the ECU to further compensate and add even more fuel(more fuel than it thinks is within normal limits- thus the CEL lean code), you're at more of a chance of throwing a CEL.

The JB was designed and tested on a mini that has stock components, and I highly suggest you maintain that or risk increased detonation and piston knock due to the ECU's maps only being able to add fuel adjustments to a limited degree. Terry suggests you wait for the JB4 to come out if you want to utilize engine mods.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:08 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously you people are so clueless or just intellectually lazy? Sucking hot engine air into your engine is bad. Cheap crap attached to your Mini... bad. Your stock setup DOES pull cold air in but if you want more COLD air, you have three choices: DoS, AEM, and DDM.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:15 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Seriously you people are so clueless or just intellectually lazy? Sucking hot engine air into your engine is bad. Cheap crap attached to your Mini... bad. Your stock setup DOES pull cold air in but if you want more COLD air, you have three choices: DoS, AEM, and DDM.
you know, i hear everyone spouting that pod filters suck hot air from the engine bay, and that aftermarket filters are worse for performance than stock.......however ive NEVER seen anyone actually provide any proof to back up their claims.

it seems to me that its something people keep repeating because they read it online and it seem like it could be true.

as i said before.....ive monitored my intake temps before and after adding an intake.....and at least for me, my intake temps stayed exactly the same.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:21 PM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
This forum is designed to provide help, ideas, creative thought. Please refrain from using insults as it stifles all three.

Old 11-16-2013, 06:54 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coming over to MINI from the Toyota world I loved that my xB intake was designed to pull air from a frill insert left front bumper...its tight under this hood...temps are high...I pulled out my insert in attempt to cool it down...

Old 11-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
This forum is designed to provide help, ideas, creative thought. Please refrain from using insults as it stifles all three.
Ouch.... a forum I've been a part of for longer than you. Cold air is cold air. Care to question it?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:07 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
Cold air is cold air.

Name:  null_zpse2d36965.jpg
Views: 2187
Size:  180.6 KB
left front grille was open to allow air to the downpipe of the intake...True CAI
Even in my Tacoma the air comes from outside the engine compartment
Name:  null_zps1aa4484d.jpg
Views: 2442
Size:  127.1 KB

Last edited by elsenordave; 11-16-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:14 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts

Ouch.... a forum I've been a part of for longer than you. Cold air is cold air. Care to question it?
Being on the forum for awhile doesn't give you the right to disrespect others.

The following users liked this post:
bugeye1031 (07-23-2018)
Old 11-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
No disrespect... just science. Geez when did Americans get so thin skinned???

Old 11-16-2013, 08:01 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Bullying people by calling them "clueless" and "intellectually lazy" and then claiming you can do so because you're been here longer isn't scientific.

Back to some of the other content in the thread, I agree that there have been a lot of posts lately arguing against changing the stock intake. Most of the arguments I've seen make good intuitive sense, but I've yet to see any data backing up anyone's claim. I'm hoping Clint returns to the forum soon with data on the redesigned DoS intake (mainly since that's what I'm running), because I suspect it will outperform the stock intake and the older DoS design.

The following 2 users liked this post by chrunck:
bugeye1031 (07-23-2018), MINI_42 (05-31-2020)
Old 11-16-2013, 08:08 PM
elsenordave
4th Gear
I'm most likey going AFe drop in and be done with it...

Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 AM
Mcameron
4th Gear
hrmm.....i was unaware that when you reached 2000 posts on an internet forum that they automatically mailed you an engineering degree......man, did i get screwed over.....because i totally could have stayed at home and avoided all those pesky student loans.

No disrespect... just science. Geez when did Americans get so thin skinned???
Science requires Data.......something which you havent yet provided to back up ANY of your claims....

coming onto a forum, calling people "thin skinned" and "intellectually lazy" because they dont agree with you also isnt Science.......

Last edited by Mcameron; 11-17-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Snaponit
Neutral
I hope this will help. I have read about 15 or so replies on this thread.
I have a brand new 2013 Cooper S hard top 450 miles.
So far I installed AEN ram air system, had to do some mods to get it fit in the 2013. Most of the mods were done to the turbo heat shield so it will fit with the stock engine cover, and could only use a short part of the flow tube because of sensor placement and shape. I also put in the Borla cat back exhaust. A Craven boost/ temp gauge.
I felt a definite increase in power (Butt dyno) but if you want hear your turbo you will be disappointed. There was very little change in turbo sound although the exhaust is a perfect balance of sound versus annoying droning at all speeds. With the AEN you get the best of two air intakes, one direct from the hood scoop and it also incorporates the stock air lower intakes.
All the other so called CAI's I looked at eliminated the stock one and are sucking hot air in from around the engine. They will give better air flow because the filter allows air to enter with less restriction.
The AEN uses your stock MAF, get you colder air from your stock lower bumper intakes and from your hood scoop. Colder air equals denser air, equals more power.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:10 PM
vetsvette
Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
I have an AEM intake on the way for my '07 MCS. That, a CNT cat back and a BSH OCC will be installed after i go for the timing chain and heat shield recall/campaign. I'll let you know what I think when it's all done, but don't hold your breath for a dyno report. Might spring for that after upgrading IC and a tune. I like everything I have seen and read on the AEM CAI.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 AM
carhopper
2nd Gear
Sorry it took so long to report back but the reducer came in 2 days ago and I was out of town this week. I got it installed and for all intents and purposes it looks OK. I knew it wouldn't be as pretty as the K&N with the custom bracket, but has the exact same effect. Although in my install the MAF didn't have to move. I'm also going to put a tie down strap of some kind so it doesn't bounce around.

I took it out for a run a little while ago and I absolutely love the turbo sound and the bypass valve. You can really hear the pressure build and the loud whiiiiish sound when you let off of the throttle. I did a couple of hard pulls and no CEL yet. I'm going to be monitoring the AFR in the weeks to come, but unfortunately I don't have a long trip planned until December now. As for extra power, who knows. It feels faster but the sound makes power gains/losses deceptive. I just know that the sound of the turbo makes me want to drive it like I stole it all the time now.

Attached Thumbnails Another DIY Intake Mod-intake.jpg  
Old 11-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
looks good!....

my only comments would be that you should try to make a bracket to support the filter so it isnt bouncing around putting stress on the intake tube.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:54 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry it took so long to report back but the reducer came in 2 days ago and I was out of town this week. I got it installed and for all intents and purposes it looks OK. I knew it wouldn't be as pretty as the K&N with the custom bracket, but has the exact same effect. Although in my install the MAF didn't have to move. I'm also going to put a tie down strap of some kind so it doesn't bounce around.

I took it out for a run a little while ago and I absolutely love the turbo sound and the bypass valve. You can really hear the pressure build and the loud whiiiiish sound when you let off of the throttle. I did a couple of hard pulls and no CEL yet. I'm going to be monitoring the AFR in the weeks to come, but unfortunately I don't have a long trip planned until December now. As for extra power, who knows. It feels faster but the sound makes power gains/losses deceptive. I just know that the sound of the turbo makes me want to drive it like I stole it all the time now.
I dig this, I was thinking the same deal for myself....

Where did you order the parts from... cost?

I know there are no real gains in terms of power to be pulled from this, but the sound must be fun... I want fun...

As for a CEL, you won't get one, don't worry. There is no reason as to why this would trigger a CEL unless in the past someone had a MAF sealing issue..

Old 11-23-2013, 02:10 PM
carhopper
2nd Gear
I already put a large zip tie for now. I used one of the 3 front screws with a loop hole from Advance Auto. As for the parts, they are below. I would get a better 3" to 2.75" coupler. This one was cheap, but a little tight. I had to heat it with a hair dryer to get it on, but maybe that's good. It will never come off.

K&N RE-0910 High Performance Universal Air Filter
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$39.24

Spectre Performance 8698 Chrome 3" 90° Elbow Air Intake Tube
Sold by Amazon.com LLC
$11.56

3"-2.75" Intercooler Hose Reducer Coupler Intake Turbo Red (#Rd-3-275r)
Sold by High Performance Parts
$4.99

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Another DIY Intake Mod