Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 09:49 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
I take it the autos are surviving? I maybe getting an auto JCW in the near future for various reasons. Never driven an auto Mini so I'm not sure if they're finicky.
I helped build my good friends Mini S N18 with FBO and 45 hybrid. The Tune works well in all Maps. No slipping of the tranny either.

Attached Thumbnails Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-image-474009525.jpg   Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-image-3781829617.jpg  
2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 08-26-2014, 09:47 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I helped build my good friends Mini S N18 with FBO and 45 hybrid. The Tune works well in all Maps. No slipping of the tranny either.
Nice! Did you get your hybrid in yet? Curious to see what your numbers will be!
My K04 goes in tomorrow. Then retune in a few days. Hopefully I can get on the dyno sometime in the upcoming weeks.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:01 AM
NewCooperFanatic
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good to know...figured if I have to give up my manual, I might as well try for the JCW.

Compromises right? haha

Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NewCooperFanatic
Good to know...figured if I have to give up my manual, I might as well try for the JCW.

Compromises right? haha
Manic has an auto JCW right now that races and produces 250whp. Transmission deals with it perfectly. They are currently swapping an Owen Developments Hybrid turbo to produce more power. Autos preform great with lots of power surprisingly.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
You sure you aren't a dealer or a paid advertiser totah? You know all the ins and outs of Manic than anyone on here!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:00 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
You sure you aren't a dealer or a paid advertiser totah? You know all the ins and outs of Manic than anyone on here!
Whoa. There's no way in a paid advertiser. I was fed up with tuning solutions for N18 and I started looking abroad. I found manic and they are known for their tuning around the world except for the United States. Spent many many emails bugging them about coming to the US and they haven't replied for months. Finally Nick replied to me and gave in. I got his personal contact and he made a special trip to the US to tune a limited amount of cars for beta. It worked out. Ever since then I still occasionally message him to see what's new with manic. Then update my friends on the forums!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:07 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Whoa. There's no way in a paid advertiser. I was fed up with tuning solutions for N18 and I started looking abroad. I found manic and they are known for their tuning around the world except for the United States. Spent many many emails bugging them about coming to the US and they haven't replied for months. Finally Nick replied to me and gave in. I got his personal contact and he made a special trip to the US to tune a limited amount of cars for beta. It worked out. Ever since then I still occasionally message him to see what's new with manic. Then update my friends on the forums!
Ah, coo coo.

Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
Ah, coo coo.
Thanks man. I'm happy they made their way to the US and serving customers. I thought there was no future for the N18.

Old 08-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Thanks man. I'm happy they made their way to the US and serving customers. I thought there was no future for the N18.
Well we are all glad you networked this for the masses.

On a side note, time is getting closer to my Tune; Stage II +

Made a decision on who will tune my DME, will update you all on that at a later time.

Couple questions for clarification:

So the DME will be flashed w/4 Maps, one being stock. All Tuned Maps will clear my Catless DP produced CEL. But the stock Map will not.

Question #1) Will a Saftey inspection station see the the tune has deleted the CEL during annual inspection?

i could care less if the Dealership sees the CEL when I role in with the DME on stock Map, I know my rights,LOL... But dont want to be turned away on Annual inspection day having to re-install the stock DP.

Question #2) Has Manic intergrated Launch Control into the Tune?

I believe I read somewhere that the tune remaps the throttle curve, sort of like Sport button, and Sprint Booster. I am wondering if that would be in the same park of tuning a launch control feature.

Question #3) Do your MANIC MINIs sound tuned, I.e. agressive idle sound such as the Subis and the Lancers? More agressive Exh Note when into it?

Just thought that would be cool. No point in the sleeper mentality with my deleted CATs an all

Lastly #4) For all running MAP C with the 500cc/min Nozzel of Meth, are you all running a single port nozzel to your could side boost tube before the IATS, or are you guys running Direct Port?

Want to make sure that this is a part time aggressive mode, and not a full time commitment to run Meth.

let me know what y'all got for me, Thanks

Old 08-27-2014, 04:42 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
I do know that if you roll into a Safety Inspection Station with all your Cats removed you'll get busted and fined, yes you must reinstall your factory Cats and drive around for a day or two to clear the CEL before going to a Safety Inspection Station. Then install your catless downpipes, my advice is to hold onto your primary and secondary Cats!

Old 08-27-2014, 04:52 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I do know that if you roll into a Safety Inspection Station with all your Cats removed you'll get busted and fined, yes you must reinstall your factory Cats and drive around for a day or two to clear the CEL before going to a Safety Inspection Station. Then install your catless downpipes, my advice is to hold onto your primary and secondary Cats!
He lives in North Carolina, they are not that strict here. They plug into the OBD2 port, make sure you have tread on your tires, that your lights all work, check tint and wipers. That's about it. But if you have a not ready or fault you will fail. I'm curious too if the tune completely hides the fault code.

Old 08-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord

Not in NC. Every state is different, with Cali and HI being some of the most strict sates. In NC you just plug into the OBD Port, if no code, GTG.

Thats why Im asking how does the Manic tune clear the CEL.

I Had a Supercharged Tacoma with an APR Tune, and could drive right in for a state inspection no questions asked. But if I did not have that and tried clearing the code with say a Scan gauge, they would tell me to come back after 50 miles.

Trust me the tune can munipulate the reader. It's only the Dealer that can tell if you have a tune, and only if they wanted to check.

Im hoping that the Manic Tune is similar to that of what the APR (Alan Phillips Racing Tune) was capable of doing in regards to CEL...

Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Well we are all glad you networked this for the masses. On a side note, time is getting closer to my Tune; Stage II + Made a decision on who will tune my DME, will update you all on that at a later time. Couple questions for clarification: So the DME will be flashed w/4 Maps, one being stock. All Tuned Maps will clear my Catless DP produced CEL. But the stock Map will not. Question #1) Will a Saftey inspection station see the the tune has deleted the CEL during annual inspection? i could care less if the Dealership sees the CEL when I role in with the DME on stock Map, I know my rights,LOL... But dont want to be turned away on Annual inspection day having to re-install the stock DP. Question #2) Has Manic intergrated Launch Control into the Tune? I believe I read somewhere that the tune remaps the throttle curve, sort of like Sport button, and Sprint Booster. I am wondering if that would be in the same park of tuning a launch control feature. Question #3) Do your MANIC MINIs sound tuned, I.e. agressive idle sound such as the Subis and the Lancers? More agressive Exh Note when into it? Just thought that would be cool. No point in the sleeper mentality with my deleted CATs an all Lastly #4) For all running MAP C with the 500cc/min Nozzel of Meth, are you all running a single port nozzel to your could side boost tube before the IATS, or are you guys running Direct Port? Want to make sure that this is a part time aggressive mode, and not a full time commitment to run Meth. let me know what y'all got for me, Thanks
1) Nick alters the threshold of the downstream o2 sensor which prevents it from throwing a code. It's not a mask.

2) No, not that I am aware of.

3) No. They sound and drive just as if they were stock. When you get on it is where you notice the party. No audible change from the tune per say.

4)I run map c. I do not run 500cc nozzle. I am running a 350cc nozzle which provides plenty of fuel with my hybrid turbo. I am running it in the boost tube. Map c is an aggressive tune that requires meth or race fuel. If you don't want to spray, then run map b or a. Plenty fun there too.

Old 08-27-2014, 06:12 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I followed up with Weaver Motorsports in Raleigh today. They have contacted Manic to get the details on becoming a dealer. The more local people that contact them the more likely that they will become one. Those that are local or some what local and are interested send them an email at:

simon@weavermotorsportsinc.com

Old 08-27-2014, 06:26 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cerenkov
He lives in North Carolina, they are not that strict here. They plug into the OBD2 port, make sure you have tread on your tires, that your lights all work, check tint and wipers. That's about it. But if you have a not ready or fault you will fail. I'm curious too if the tune completely hides the fault code.
It the OBD readiness codes we have to look at. With the tune I have no CEL but the 02 sensor monitor is incomplete. In Texas you can have 1 monitor not ready and right not I have the 02 seems or monitor and the evaporative system not ready. Not sure if the evap system is related to the tune. Just because you don't have a light in the dash does not mean it is not behind the scenes...

Old 08-28-2014, 02:07 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
JMTC K04 E45R is finally put on. Of course its going to have more lag but I actually like it. More progressive power vs instant power. With my stock turbo, it spooled so fast that 1st gear was useless. It was very fun, I admit, but all it did was spin 1st gear. Doing 40mph and putting my foot down in 2nd gear it would spin! It was a great accomplishment with power output but it wasn't that practical. Even thoe it did put a smile on my face!
Now with the E45R, when you put your foot down, theres probably an extra half second you have to wait for the power to come on but with that, it eliminates wheel spin. First gear surprisingly had very minimal wheel spin! vs an uncontrollable amount! Lots more power in the upper range (maybe because torque does not drop off). This is all untuned. I will be tuning tomorrow. Paul in the bay (Indimanic) is going to reflash my ECU with updated Maps. I did notice that the diverter valve sounds different with the new turbo. Sounds like a flutter now. JMTC provided on upgraded one already installed with the purchase of the turbo. I will link a video to the noise. Thanks guys!

Old 08-28-2014, 02:12 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
When are you headed down tomorrow? i'd like to get a look at that k04 if you're free

Old 08-28-2014, 02:15 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Originally Posted by zedaristo
When are you headed down tomorrow? i'd like to get a look at that k04 if you're free
Depends when Paul gives me the call. He lives in Petaluma, not sure if you are close by there or not.

Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Stock turbo for sale if anyone needs a backup or wants to rebuild it into a hybrid!!
Look in Marketplace!
Thanks guys
Hopefully I can get a dyno sheet to you guys soon with the E45R

Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
i'm actually about 20min north of there right now, I'm gonna have to go to him for a retune anyways cause the dealer flashed me twice for no reason, sigh. Just waiting to hear back from nicholas about how this will work since the whole eurocode debacle.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Soon to be tuned

Pic says it all:
Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-img_1321.jpg

JB+ is Sold. No turning back now, Need to go MANIC!

Old 08-28-2014, 08:06 PM
CPap
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
JMTC K04 E45R is finally put on.
Exciting! I'm looking forward to installing mine Monday. Let us know how the new tune feels.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:13 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Pic says it all:
Attachment 98432

JB+ is Sold. No turning back now, Need to go MANIC!
Sure, that's where my package went!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:47 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Just got tuned with the new turbo. All I can say is wow. What a monster the mini is now. No torque drop off. No ridiculous amount of wheel spin. Just pure power. Peak at 21-22psi. Paul (Indimanic) is a really really cool guy. He tuned my vehicle and we became good friends. I highly recommend you guys seeing him regarding a Manic tune! More of us should get tuned and more of you guys would love your car again once more. Anyone in the Bay Area or Northern California, I highly advise you to see Paul and have him load the Manic files on your car. You will never look back and question why you haven't done this a long time ago.
Hope to get more vids up and dyno the car soon. It's amazing how you can really feel the thrust in the Mini.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:29 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
so by "getting tuned" you mean someone flashed maps on your car?

can't wait to see the dyno numbers....

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!