Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So with all the maps available, is there something for those that don't want meth but have fbo and want a bit more than the JB+?

Old 09-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dustypants
So with all the maps available, is there something for those that don't want meth but have fbo and want a bit more than the JB+?

Stage II Plus is not for Meth only. On the Stage II plus, Map C is for Meth and or Race gas. A & B is set for 91 octane or better. You are only a Downpipe away from a Stage II. If I were you I would get the Stage II or II plus in the event you plan on running a Cat-less DP in the future. If you think you were ever going to have an opportunity to run Meth or race fuel, I'd spend the extra 50 bones to have that available just in case.

Old 09-22-2014, 08:40 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Of course, you can have all your maps set for your premium fuel were you live. Each map will be a little more aggressive than the next. You could even make map C for special occasion, like for race gas. It's up to you, just let the tuner know before it's ordered

BTW, I don't think there is ever a time, we just want a little more . More more more and more please

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-22-2014, 09:10 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Stage II Plus is not for Meth only. On the Stage II plus, Map C is for Meth and or Race gas. A & B is set for 91 octane or better. You are only a Downpipe away from a Stage II. If I were you I would get the Stage II or II plus in the event you plan on running a Cat-less DP in the future. If you think you were ever going to have an opportunity to run Meth or race fuel, I'd spend the extra 50 bones to have that available just in case.
I'm running the akrapovic and full 2.5 exhaust at the moment so pretty much DP-less...

Mario, I have time to kill and a nice drive to your area come October, look for a PM soon.

Old 09-22-2014, 09:14 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
I'm running the akrapovic and full 2.5 exhaust at the moment so pretty much DP-less... Mario, I have time to kill and a nice drive to your area come October, look for a PM soon.
Give me a date and you can drive my car. If you want, we can tune your car at lunch

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-22-2014, 09:21 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Give me a date and you can drive my car. If you want, we can tune your car at lunch
Prolly 2nd week of October. And honestly a ride in your car should be plenty... You know it better than anyone.

Honestly I'm looking for passing power... The JB+ dies after 4.5k. I want power to redline, top end rebuild later when funds can afford it.

100 octane is available near my work for those special occasions, e85 up the street..

Old 09-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
What is the going rate for rebuilding the bottom end and cylinder head?

Old 09-22-2014, 09:37 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Prolly 2nd week of October. And honestly a ride in your car should be plenty... You know it better than anyone. Honestly I'm looking for passing power... The JB+ dies after 4.5k. I want power to redline, top end rebuild later when funds can afford it. 100 octane is available near my work for those special occasions, e85 up the street..
Sounds good. I'm going on a Cruise and couple other trips this and next month. Send me a PM with your cell and info, so we can coordinate

Old 09-22-2014, 10:47 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get to the point where your spraying so much your just replacing one fuel with another instead of just cooling and knock prevention.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:19 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by scubbysnacks
You can get to the point where your spraying so much your just replacing one fuel with another instead of just cooling and knock prevention.
That's why I wish there was a more definitive reason for running a 500cc nozzle. I was hoping someone had the no **** "Left and Right Limits" to stay within. I'm sure there is a reason for running said amount of Meth. But it would be nice to have a technical reason. 😁

On a side note: 68 deg Ambient weather + running Map C = PURE BLISS😮

Old 09-23-2014, 11:00 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
What is the going rate for rebuilding the bottom end and cylinder head?
Four to five K for the bottom end will cover new rods, pistons, bearings, oil pump, drive chain, timing chain and boring and honing. About 1.5 to two K for the head will get you CNCed pockets, porting, polishing, five angle valve job with titanium retainers. The N18 head being valvetronic is different because when you cut the valve seat and the face of the valve it causes the valve to sit lower in the pocket. Whatever that difference is needs to be machined off the top of the valve stem. Otherwise the valve will be open more when the eccentric shaft is at the same position. Drive-ability will be unaffected but it can make the idle erratic as the ECU tries to compensate. Thats why there's no performance cam for the N18 yet. You would need to have the eccentric shaft re-profiled or they would have to provide one in addition to the cams. Lots of math there and can we say sssspensive. Cheaper to have Ferrea make a set of valves with undercut stems. Plan on better springs with their valves though as their heavier being solid stainless instead of hollow sodium filled.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:51 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
Four to five K for the bottom end will cover new rods, pistons, bearings, oil pump, drive chain, timing chain and boring and honing. About 1.5 to two K for the head will get you CNCed pockets, porting, polishing, five angle valve job with titanium retainers. The N18 head being valvetronic is different because when you cut the valve seat and the face of the valve it causes the valve to sit lower in the pocket. Whatever that difference is needs to be machined off the top of the valve stem. Otherwise the valve will be open more when the eccentric shaft is at the same position. Drive-ability will be unaffected but it can make the idle erratic as the ECU tries to compensate. Thats why there's no performance cam for the N18 yet. You would need to have the eccentric shaft re-profiled or they would have to provide one in addition to the cams. Lots of math there and can we say sssspensive. Cheaper to have Ferrea make a set of valves with undercut stems. Plan on better springs with their valves though as their heavier being solid stainless instead of hollow sodium filled.
That's a lot less than buying a new engine from Mini, surprised more MCS owners don't go this route, it's cheaper and just a (wiser decision) better option!

Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 PM
MikewithaMini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In a "build to spec" engine having it built is the only way. A reman Long block, which MINI calls a Short Engine is $4185.00 online, plus shipping - maybe + core and ship back, but I don't see those as listed items at Sewell. Bone-stock S.

http://mini.sewellparts.com/oem-cata...R56S-2008.html

Old 09-23-2014, 02:31 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
That's a lot less than buying a new engine from Mini, surprised more MCS owners don't go this route, it's cheaper and just a (wiser decision) better option!
That's mine plan. I should be getting a little pickup truck in November to serve as a DD, then I can afford to be without the car and put it into the shop to get the bottom-end done. Not going to mess with the head and valve-train.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:41 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Sometimes it can be a bit hard to visualize what a serious compromise the factory pistons are. So I thought I'd upload these comparison photos, as well as a closeup of an under the skirt shot. Haven't seen any underside pics of the factory piston online and it amazed me when I first saw how much metal they removed to save a quarter of a mile per gallon.

I've heard a small amount of grumbling about how rich Nick sets these tunes. I wouldn't grumble. Nick knows exactly what he's doing. Yes by running rich you leave a little bit of power on the table but, and this is a BIG but, that richness is what stands between you and a knackered piston.

Last edited by Tigger2011; 09-23-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
^ wow.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:36 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Hmmm. That's crazy. Those new ones look great though.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:24 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Amazing, what a world of difference!

Old 09-24-2014, 08:42 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Tigger2011,

Thanks for that statement at the end of your post. I for one was not really complaining about running rich, but I am happy to know that the richness in the tune is conducive to a non catastrophic event😮

I for one don't have the money right now to be able to replace a blown motor, just because we were trying to squeeze out a few more ponies. I am 100% satisfied with the power this tune is laying down. I feel planning for a better clutch & solid motor mounts will help put more power to the wheels rather than Leaning out the tune. Lastly Traction is my worse enemy, not sure what the remedy for that being its a FWD, so jealous of my Wife's CMS All4😁

Old 09-24-2014, 09:52 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Lastly Traction is my worse enemy, not sure what the remedy for that being its a FWD
Well there's always mechanical LSD's like a Wavetrac or Qualfe helical unit, or wider tires...235's will fit without rubbing. As a last resort you could have your right leg shortened. Nah on second thought I'd probably skip that last one.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:06 AM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Well there's always mechanical LSD's like a Wavetrac or Qualfe helical unit, or wider tires...235's will fit without rubbing. As a last resort you could have your right leg shortened. Nah on second thought I'd probably skip that last one.
Kinda behind on this thread. But is the piston failure for the R56 applying towards the N18? I know one of the main revision were the piston design between the n14 and n18 because of those failures. Also yes I need to eventually get an LSD, Wider tires, Wheels, Clutch, and Brake kit. Money money money. Lol

Old 09-24-2014, 10:34 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Yep the N14's do have a history of more failures and the pistons were redesigned for the N18. Whether the difference in total failures is due to the redesign or because the N14's have accumulated more total average mileage is anybodies guess. I can however tell you the pictures posted above were from a 2014 model N18 engine with the latest piston design.

Old 09-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Go-Cart
2nd Gear
Pistons

Sometimes it can be a bit hard to visualize what a serious compromise the factory pistons are. So I thought I'd upload these comparison photos, as well as a closeup of an under the skirt shot. Haven't seen any underside pics of the factory piston online and it amazed me when I first saw how much metal they removed to save a quarter of a mile per gallon.

I've heard a small amount of grumbling about how rich Nick sets these tunes. I wouldn't grumble. Nick knows exactly what he's doing. Yes by running rich you leave a little bit of power on the table but, and this is a BIG but, that richness is what stands between you and a knackered piston.

So are these the JCW N18 pistons, or the Cooper S pistons? I do remember reading somewhere that the JCW pistons have thicker ringlands possibly than the Cooper S piston.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:57 AM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by Go-Cart
So are these the JCW N18 pistons, or the Cooper S pistons? I do remember reading somewhere that the JCW pistons have thicker ringlands possibly than the Cooper S piston.
These are the Cooper S pistons. I know the JCW pistons are 10.25:1 and use a thicker head gasket to drop the compression to 10:1. I have also heard they are beefier but I've never seen a set. Maybe one of our enterprising NAM brothers can upload some pics of the stock JCW's if they have them.....

Old 09-29-2014, 05:37 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Anyone with Manic Tune and Meth Kit? Are you still under ambient on your IATs as you approach redline? Or does your IATs rise over ambient?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!