Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:17 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by roxspin72
follow the aqua-mist thread. They talk the hsf- 3 & 4 howerton systems...
thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 08:23 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Roxspin72
Any update from those running Stage II plus on Map C. Wondering if the 500cc/min Nozzle increased performance and or provided better stats? timing/AFR/boost/IAT Etc... Still running 315cc/min nozzle and wondering if I should order the larger recommended nozzle. Going to test new plugs this weekendddc4d
Don't have an answer, but I just upped my jet from a .7mm to .8 mm. I haven't measured the new flow rate but will this weekend when I have a helper (the lovely wife).

Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ptguy0618
is there a full meth thread? It seems intimidating to me, I've never run it on a car, seems like a high maintenance system? Filling a tank and the Install, I'm not mechanic savvy. But it seems like a necessity for power with our cars?
Actually there is very little maintenance. I add a half gallon every 600 miles. Apart from that I rarely touch it. I did change a jet today but that took 5 minutes and no tools.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
Don't have an answer, but I just upped my jet from a .7mm to .8 mm. I haven't measured the new flow rate but will this weekend when I have a helper (the lovely wife).
Awesome Cerenkov. Looking Forward to your input. Last we talked at the meet in Raleigh, I told you my logs looked on point... However, I feel that there might be more to come with the increased alcohol flow. It's not a lot of money for a larger nozzle( but would hate to order and install only to find out it had negative effects rather than progressive results).

Let me know...

Thanks...

Old 10-21-2014, 08:33 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Actually there is very little maintenance. I add a half gallon every 600 miles. Apart from that I rarely touch it. I did change a jet today but that took 5 minutes and no tools.
wow really? So it aerosolizes it pretty well? Pardon my lack of lingo, I assumed it consumed much more than that, I'm s commuter so that's a tank a week for me, so refill every two weeks, I guess they wouldn't be too bad.

Old 10-21-2014, 10:12 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
wow really? So it aerosolizes it pretty well? Pardon my lack of lingo, I assumed it consumed much more than that, I'm s commuter so that's a tank a week for me, so refill every two weeks, I guess they wouldn't be too bad.
The methanol kit is like installing an amplifier for your stereo. Methanol as been around since WWI, but had become the popular because of cooling properties, extra fuel and high octane.
Once I receive your ECU, let's talk about a meth kit and if you want to change your map C

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 10-21-2014, 10:23 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
The methanol kit is like installing an amplifier for your stereo. Methanol as been around since WWI, but had become the popular because of cooling properties, extra fuel and high octane. Once I receive your ECU, let's talk about a meth kit and if you want to change your map C
sounds good sir!

Old 10-21-2014, 10:32 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
sounds good sir!
Go to bed it's 1:30am! You must be changing diapers

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 10-21-2014, 10:39 PM
ptguy0618
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Go to bed it's 1:30am! You must be changing diapers
hahaha, tomorrow is my day off, I have enjoyed a couple of drinks tonight! A 50+ hour work week is deserving of that!

Old 10-22-2014, 03:27 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
It only sprays when boost levels are above a specified set-point (some systems also trigger on injector duty cycle). You can drive around all day and not actuate the system. It really depends on how you drive. If you're full throttle all the time then go ahead and buy some stock in methanol companies, but if you drive "normal" with spurts of enthusiasm then it will last a while.

Here's two links to other threads:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...n-systems.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-training.html

Old 10-22-2014, 08:16 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does stage 3 require a turbo upgrade? I know there's a stage 2 plus, that comes before stage 3 right? Still confused on the stages. I get lost in the pages of this thread lol
copied from our thread on Manic
Updated pricing and staged levels

Stage 1 $500
Standard car
Stage 1 + $550
FMIC + PANEL FILTER
FMIC + CAI
FMIC + CAI + CBE
Stage 2 $550
DP + FMIC
DP + FMIC + CAI
TBE + FMIC
TBE + FMIC + CAI
Stage 2+ $600
TBE + FMIC + CAI + RACE FUEL
TBE + FMIC + CAI + METH INJECTION

Stage 3 and above are anything turbo swapped, built engine, ported heads etc.
Jcw turbo on mcs counts as stage 3 btw

Last edited by EuroTechsAZ; 10-22-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by EuroTechsAZ
copied from our thread on Manic
Updated pricing and staged levels

Stage 1 $500
Standard car
Stage 1 + $550
FMIC + PANEL FILTER
FMIC + CAI
FMIC + CAI + CBE
Stage 2 $550
DP + FMIC
DP + FMIC + CAI
TBE + FMIC
TBE + FMIC + CAI
Stage 2+ $600
TBE + FMIC + CAI + RACE FUEL
TBE + FMIC + CAI + METH INJECTION

Stage 3 and above are anything turbo swapped, built engine, ported heads etc.
Jcw turbo on mcs counts as stage 3 btw
And cost of going from stage to stage?

Old 10-22-2014, 11:33 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
just the price difference between the stages.. Unsure about going from stage 1+ to stage 2 since they are the same price but would think it would be $50 at least??

Old 10-22-2014, 12:39 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
just the price difference between the stages.. Unsure about going from stage 1+ to stage 2 since they are the same price but would think it would be $50 at least??
OK thx!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:36 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Awesome Cerenkov. Looking Forward to your input. Last we talked at the meet in Raleigh, I told you my logs looked on point... However, I feel that there might be more to come with the increased alcohol flow. It's not a lot of money for a larger nozzle( but would hate to order and install only to find out it had negative effects rather than progressive results).
Here's a log with the 0.8 mm jet. Very similar results except for intake temperatures dropped about twice as much.

If it was me, on Map C, I would try for 500cc flow, for the sole reason that Manic recommends it.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:12 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Here's a log with the 0.8 mm jet. Very similar results except for intake temperatures dropped about twice as much.

If it was me, on Map C, I would try for 500cc flow, for the sole reason that Manic recommends it.

So I guess the true question is, could there be any negative effects when pumping too much alcohol? At one point in the past, I ran the wrong Nozzle with my JB+. I upped the Nozzle so I could run the JB @ 80%, or rather the 3 o'clock position. My MINI went into limp mode. Took off the JB and same results. Turned out I was running a 600cc/min nozzle. (But TBT, that was while running Boost Juice 48/52 Water/Meth Snow performance blend, not M1) It seemed that the DME did not like the extra H2O. Not sure if this will happen with straight alcohol. I get it that Manic stated a 500cc/min flow rate was recommended for Stage 2 + on Map C. But, I'd like to know whether to run straight Meth/M1 or not. And-or if 100 plus octane/or what octane/race gas. If we are going to push our MINIs to that limiting threshold for the fact of pure adrenaline via our enthusiastic nature, I would hope someone can provide an example of the test bed Map C was produced upon. I.e. Left and Right Limits.

Am I way off by over thinking this. Let me know.

Thanks NAM...

Old 10-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Wow. Mario took care of my stage 2.5 and all I gotta say so far is WOW. And I'm only on map A. Took it for a blast on my usual weekend route and every hill is no problem, the car pulls and pulls and pulls! Will get some more wheel time and logging in this week, but so far everything looks and feels great.

Attached Thumbnails Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-image-508384068.jpg   Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-image-1892621856.jpg  
Old 10-22-2014, 07:18 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Manic tunes are spec'd in bar not PSI. On top of that it depends on which mode you are in and what kind of car and fuel type you are starting with. This is just an example so the tune you/others have may be different. N14 stage 1 with 91 Map A 1.2 bar Map B 1.3 bar Map C 1.4 bar N18 stage 1 with 91 Map A 1.2 bar Map B 1.3 bar Map C 1.4 bar N18 JCW with 93 Map A 1.3 bar Map B 1.4 bar Map C 1.45 bar These are not peak boost spike levels. There is no programmed overboost settings on Manic tunes they goal is to hit that boost level and hold it until redline. If your turbo can keep up that is. Some of the MCS turbos will drop a little towards the end but JCW turbo will pull 22psi until redline. Hope that answers the question.
I was just looking at this again today. I am running the stage 2+ and have run both b and C maps with meth, and I have not seen anything above 18 or so PSI. Sill question, but can't the size of the intercooler cause you to loose PSI? I was reading into the Alta intercooler I am running and it states only a 1.5 psi loss of boost. Just wondering if that is why I have not seen 20 psi.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
I was just looking at this again today. I am running the stage 2+ and have run both b and C maps with meth, and I have not seen anything above 18 or so PSI. Sill question, but can't the size of the intercooler cause you to loose PSI? I was reading into the Alta intercooler I am running and it states only a 1.5 psi loss of boost. Just wondering if that is why I have not seen 20 psi.
Those were examples , please consult your Manic dealer. Every cars spec'd boost levels are different. We don't know what your target pressures are. We verify all our maps when flashed in car/in house and have not had any issues.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
So to quell any misconception, this is in no way shape or form an attempt to discredit tuners... As I know it, these Tunes are Maps that are created and offered to Tuners via an interested investment of said tune to purchase credits and program tunes to local DMEs...

My question is forwarded to the manufacturer which created the tune that states said levels I.e. Lev.1, Lev.1+1 --- to --- Lev. 2+. What y'all think

Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Dustypants
Wow. Mario took care of my stage 2.5 and all I gotta say so far is WOW. And I'm only on map A. Took it for a blast on my usual weekend route and every hill is no problem, the car pulls and pulls and pulls! Will get some more wheel time and logging in this week, but so far everything looks and feels great.
Glad you you like it and you will be even happier when use get to use map B and C. Keep us posted on your opinions of higher maps. I have a feeling you will be wanting a larger turbo soon. Enjoy your vacation, tearing up the streets of SF

Old 10-22-2014, 08:04 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
So I guess the true question is, could there be any negative effects when pumping too much alcohol? At one point in the past, I ran the wrong Nozzle with my JB+. I upped the Nozzle so I could run the JB @ 80%, or rather the 3 o'clock position. My MINI went into limp mode. Took off the JB and same results. Turned out I was running a 600cc/min nozzle. (But TBT, that was while running Boost Juice 48/52 Water/Meth Snow performance blend, not M1) It seemed that the DME did not like the extra H2O. Not sure if this will happen with straight alcohol. I get it that Manic stated a 500cc/min flow rate was recommended for Stage 2 + on Map C. But, I'd like to know whether to run straight Meth/M1 or not. And-or if 100 plus octane/or what octane/race gas. If we are going to push our MINIs to that limiting threshold for the fact of pure adrenaline via our enthusiastic nature, I would hope someone can provide an example of the test bed Map C was produced upon. I.e. Left and Right Limits.

Am I way off by over thinking this. Let me know.

Thanks NAM...
For 100% meth I don't think it will cause issues. Unlike water it's fuel so the DME should be able to trim it out if necessary. See if you are maxing out your fuel trims. Even if you do you would just run rich.

On the other hand if you're not running the required amount of meth then it could be harmful, in an expensive way.

As I understood it map C requires race gas or meth. No need to run both.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
So to quell any misconception, this is in no way shape or form an attempt to discredit tuners... As I know it, these Tunes are Maps that are created and offered to Tuners via an interested investment of said tune to purchase credits and program tunes to local DMEs...

My question is forwarded to the manufacturer which created the tune that states said levels I.e. Lev.1, Lev.1+1 --- to --- Lev. 2+. What y'all think
First off we are not tuners we are dealers. Nick at Manic is the tuner. We just load his maps that he created. We do get info on said maps but do not create them. We do buy credits to use his maps. Not quite sure on the second part of your post. They create the levels and price points. All Manic dealers just sell and load Nicks maps. No Manic dealers are tuning.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:37 AM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
For 100% meth I don't think it will cause issues. Unlike water it's fuel so the DME should be able to trim it out if necessary. See if you are maxing out your fuel trims. Even if you do you would just run rich.

On the other hand if you're not running the required amount of meth then it could be harmful, in an expensive way.

As I understood it map C requires race gas or meth. No need to run both.
I am probably over thinking it. Im going to pull the trigger and up my nozzle.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:11 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have been running the 500cc jet. With the Aquamist system this is a 1.0 jet. I have used it on all maps with no problem. I was very hesitant at first as well but you will be fine. I actually went for a carbon cleaning yesterday as I am at 62k and there was barely any carbon. Is that related to the use of meth? Maybe...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!