Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:11 AM
KilmerPT
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johntotah94
My HFS-4 kit will be for sale probably next week if u want a meth kit. Also, That must have been a thrill riding in Mario's car. I wonder if you were in his car when he was boosting 23psi or 26-28psi. Either way its a blast.
Thank you for the offer, but I will have to wait on the meth kit because we are buying a new house (closing on Thursday) and will need to buy some new appliances as soon as we move in this weekend.

I don't know what he was boosting that day; however, I swear his car was pulling harder than an Evo I test drove some years ago.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:20 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
My HFS-4 kit will be for sale probably next week if u want a meth kit. Also, That must have been a thrill riding in Mario's car. I wonder if you were in his car when he was boosting 23psi or 26-28psi. Either way its a blast.
I was doing 23-24psi- 1.6 BAR. My map C requires both 100 octane and meth and that's 26psi with more aggressive timing. It's a fun little car, but sometimes it feels slow, it's probably because I drive it 7 days a week. I should change to the stock map, just so I can get a reality check

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarioKart
I was doing 23-24psi- 1.6 BAR. My map C requires both 100 octane and meth and that's 26psi with more aggressive timing. It's a fun little car, but sometimes it feels slow, it's probably because I drive it 7 days a week. I should change to the stock map, just so I can get a reality check

This is so true, LOL...

I went without meth on Map A for months, and now that I'm hitting 20deg below ambient temps, I upped my tune to Map B I have been missing out.

My new Devils Own Check Valve & Nozzle holder are in transit. Once installed; its Holy $&!% time = Map C

Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Mcgee357
1st Gear
What can't our minis make power like Honda civics and subarUs and evos and mazdaspeed 3s? Does displacement make that much of a difference?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:03 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
Looks like there's been a recent Manic tuned Countryman suffer a catastrophic engine failure. No specific details yet aside from oil and coolant exploding, sudden bang, and loss of power and a hole in the block. Sucks!

Old 03-24-2015, 06:13 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TerminalVelocity
Looks like there's been a recent Manic tuned Countryman suffer a catastrophic engine failure. No specific details yet aside from oil and coolant exploding, sudden bang, and loss of power and a hole in the block. Sucks!
Are you talking about Kowalski? That is a different story, Kyle knew his engine was on it's way out and pushed it until it exploded. I think I heard he got a lot more mileage out of it then he thought possible. He works for Mini and is currently putting in a fully built motor and taking it to Targa Newfoundland to try it out.

Old 03-24-2015, 06:16 PM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mcgee357
What can't our minis make power like Honda civics and subarUs and evos and mazdaspeed 3s? Does displacement make that much of a difference?
What's the old cliche? "There is no replacement for displacement"

Sadly some of the 2.0 and 2.5 liters can make as much power stock as ours come with turbo'd. BMW just doesn't seem to have any interest in making a mini with a good sized, and good hp engine. If they did, why would people buy a 3 series beemer?

Old 03-24-2015, 06:34 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by Mcgee357
There is an old saying, "there is no replacement, for displacement". This is fairly true statement, but technology is changing the game.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 03-24-2015, 06:35 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by countrymanman
What's the old cliche? "There is no replacement for displacement" Sadly some of the 2.0 and 2.5 liters can make as much power stock as ours come with turbo'd. BMW just doesn't seem to have any interest in making a mini with a good sized, and good hp engine. If they did, why would people buy a 3 series beemer?
Jinx!

Old 03-24-2015, 07:39 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Heavier car and more wind resistance...?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:42 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
This is not Kowalski. This is another countryman. Heavily modded running JM turbo, meth on stage 3....

Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
This is not Kowalski. This is another countryman. Heavily modded running JM turbo, meth on stage 3....
Stock bottom end?

Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Yea

Old 03-24-2015, 07:45 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Mini is not going to cover under warrant... that was sarcasm.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Where did you see this? Was it someone in the Metroplex group?

Old 03-24-2015, 08:49 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Mini Countryman Owners Lounge on FB.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:40 PM
TerminalVelocity
5th Gear
The car was near brand new with only about 4K miles I believe. Nothing out of the ordinary modwise outside of what Manic calls for in a stage 3 tune except the addition of an oil cooler. I hate to bring up a fellow MINI owners misfortune but I feel it's necessary to mention the bad news along with the good when it comes to aftermarket tunes. If for nothing else than to hopefully find a common reason for why it may be happening. Unfortunately when it comes to tuning these engines we're always one throttle stomp away from potential trouble. Luckily I only know of two MINI's with a Manic tune that have had failures. I'm sure there are more out in the world but I'd imagine we'd have heard about it if it were an huge amount.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:09 AM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
The car was near brand new with only about 4K miles I believe. Nothing out of the ordinary modwise outside of what Manic calls for in a stage 3 tune except the addition of an oil cooler. I hate to bring up a fellow MINI owners misfortune but I feel it's necessary to mention the bad news along with the good when it comes to aftermarket tunes. If for nothing else than to hopefully find a common reason for why it may be happening. Unfortunately when it comes to tuning these engines we're always one throttle stomp away from potential trouble. Luckily I only know of two MINI's with a Manic tune that have had failures. I'm sure there are more out in the world but I'd imagine we'd have heard about it if it were an huge amount.
They have both been stage 3 with the same turbo...

Old 03-25-2015, 07:05 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
So they both had the JMTC 47 Dominator? I'm upgrading my turbo and talked to my Manic Tuner about recommendations for which turbo to get, and he told me he would shy away from JMTC turbos right now. Manic is having some issues with their tunes on cars with those turbos. He said they think it has to do with the way JMTC sets their wastegates. I don't know, I'm talking with Doug at Frankenturbo and am possibly going to guinea pig for their mini turbocharger coming out in a couple weeks.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:07 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Mini Countryman Owners Lounge on FB.
How far back? I'm a member of the lounge and missed that one. I'd like to read about it.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:18 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
So the combination of bigger turbo, higher boost, more timing, and a stock bottom has resulted in engine failures?

Yeah that's shocking news!!!

Anyone running the above combo is on a shortened clock, but frankly the N14/18 clock doesn't run that long in stock trim.

But considering we are only a year or so into the upgraded turbos game, it's going better than I figured.

I don't hold the tuners or turbo makers accountable for failures unless it was a faulty product that caused the failure. I blame the knucklehead who expect 100k miles and 10 years of no issues with the setup.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:30 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
So the combination of bigger turbo, higher boost, more timing, and a stock bottom has resulted in engine failures?

Anyone running the above combo is on a shortened clock, but frankly the N14/18 clock doesn't run that long in stock trim.

But considering we are only a year or so into the upgraded turbos game, it's going better than I figured.

I don't hold the tuners or turbo makers accountable for failures unless it was a faulty product that caused the failure. I blame the knucklehead who expect 100k miles and 10 years of no issues with the setup.
Yeah...what Taz said is spot-on

Old 03-25-2015, 08:31 AM
countrymanman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil

I think all of us that mod our cars understand the risk involved. The fact that there have been two engine failures in CM's with similar mods just makes me wonder what caused it. Kyle pushed his until he broke it, knowingly is my understanding. The other one I hadn't heard about and want to read more on it. I just wanted to relay the information I was given by a Manic tuner. Apparently their stage 3 tunes aren't playing overly nice with the JMTC turbos.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 AM
sleek55044
2nd Gear
In my opinion,It is TOTALLY the tuners fault for putting a customers engine in danger. IF they actually tested this with their own money they wouldn't be so careless in blowing up other people's cars...

I would never steer a customer in this direction! I actually like my customers,not just their money!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:23 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sleek55044
In my opinion,It is TOTALLY the tuners fault for putting a customers engine in danger. IF they actually tested this with their own money they wouldn't be so careless in blowing up other people's cars...

I would never steer a customer in this direction! I actually like my customers,not just their money!
So if YOU tune my car...YOU will replace it if it blows? That's really nice of you...

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!