Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 02:16 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidSR56
Hey everyone, Mario just tuned me to stage 2+, just got the ECU today and installed the colder plugs, but I'm not completely catless yet. Regardless, I'm hearing some knock on WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear as well as rough idle. Power is very nice but this is concerning enough to go back to a stock map but the rough idle is still there! Any ideas?
Check the gap on your plugs and make sure the coils are on tight.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:28 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 cents....,You are supposed to be catless with the 2+. Drop a level in the tune if not done so already. Do not allow detonation!!!
Its been my experience that not all high octane fuels are the same. Start here.
First try a different fuel brand and or station. Make sure you get your tank as empty as possible before refueling. I had detonation only with one particular Chevron Station in my town. Change back to original plugs and see what happens

Old 08-13-2015, 06:56 AM
SPYECAR
1st Gear
CEL issue

I have a 2013 MCS with a JB+ which eventually will be upgraded to a Manic tune. After installing a 200 cell DP with a Big Daddy's Garage Mini Cat, I got a P-0141 code. Replacing the downstream O2 sensor didn't help. Perhaps the Mini Cat lowered the temperature of the sensor too much. I presume the Manic tune will take care of the codes, but does anybody know how I can get rid of the P-0141 code meanwhile?

Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah

Last edited by malibujoey; 11-25-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:03 AM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stage 2+ went away 2 weeks ago. If you have problems you need to contact your Manic dealer. Indi is correct stage 2+ on the old system REQUIRES catless/race cat downpipes not stock. Some stage 2+ cars have a meth/100 octane MAP and if you are running that MAP without meth/100 it will ping and it will cause engine damage. The timing is so aggressive on meth/100 MAP the knock sensor will not catch it fast enough and it will hurt things.

Here's the latest :

NEW MANIC STAGE CLASSIFICATIONS!!
The following will be applicable from August 2015.

Manic " One " (Designed for the road)
1 performance mode and stock: An entry level tune suitable for all fuel types in the region. The sort of upgrade you would expect from the factory running moderate increases with stock mode for emissions control. ( Without the price tag ).

Stage 1 (Designed for road where legal/ serious enthusiasts)
3 performance modes and stock: A pre set, regional, fully switchable, 3 mode set up. suitable for use with low/med/high boost settings with variable fuel qualities. Emissions control is changed to allow the addition of a sport or decat downpipe. Customers adding hardware such as a FMIC, CAI etc will see benefits without the need for a retune and will not get any dash lights illuminated. ( Power results depending on hardware used).

Stage 2 (Designed for road use where legal/ trackdays/ Sprint/ local competition)
3 performance modes and stock: A pre set, regional, fully switchable 3 mode set up. Suitable for use with low/med/high boost settings with variable fuel qualities. Stage 2 requires, FMIC/ CAI and full exhaust with a 200/100 or 0 cell Catalyst, without exception.

Old 08-13-2015, 10:56 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear
Wot.....

Hey everyone, Mario just tuned me to stage 2+, just got the ECU today and installed the colder plugs, but I'm not completely catless yet. Regardless, I'm hearing some knock on WOT in 2nd and 3rd gear as well as rough idle. Power is very nice but this is concerning enough to go back to a stock map but the rough idle is still there! Any ideas?
You WILL blow up your motor with knock on WOT. Use higher octane as the timing is too far advanced and causing detonation. You need gas that burns slower (higher octane). Remember this: Every "ping" possibly causes dents in the top of the piston! Enough pings and : BOOM

Old 08-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Indimanic
4th Gear
Clarification on higher octane fuel
The fuel is less prone to pre ignition as in a higher flash point.
I do no think it burns slower. Just resists igniting prematurely.
Anyone with a petroleum engineering degree know?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:07 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Indimanic
Clarification on higher octane fuel
The fuel is less prone to pre ignition as in a higher flash point.
I do no think it burns slower. Just resists igniting prematurely.
Anyone with a petroleum engineering degree know?
How is it that you do not know that high octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline with your background? The slow burn prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high, I have seen in person two long cylindrical tubes one with 87 octane and the other with 91 octane and ignited in a controlled environment using a special camera slowed down to quarter speed because the human eye is to slow to see it, 13 frames per second. The 91 octane not only burned slower but also a more complete burn, 87 octane burned off very quickly.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:10 PM
DavidSR56
1st Gear
Made sure the spark plugs were gapped to .022", and now on 97-98 octane and no ping on Map C in 95 degree Florida weather. Couldn't be happier! I have a hi flow primary cat (200) which I might delete.
I'd like to thank everyone who replied, as well as my tuner, MarioKart, for being extremely responsive, helpful, and honest.
Too bad FWD and 205 section tires can't hold down the torque. I'll stay on Map B for now.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:32 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

If you haven't done so already switch your motor mount or "torque" mount I did after the tune and huge difference in wheel spin I run 205s also map c on stage 2+ requires methanol and race fuel of 199 octane or more I don't know your exact mods but that would be your ping

Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM
DavidSR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minivinnie92
If you haven't done so already switch your motor mount or "torque" mount I did after the tune and huge difference in wheel spin I run 205s also map c on stage 2+ requires methanol and race fuel of 199 octane or more I don't know your exact mods but that would be your ping
Never knew of changing the motor mounts; what do you currently use?
Unfortunately 1st and 2nd aren't too usable especially in the wet, but I can't complain.
Quick question for everyone: if I wanted to mix E85 with 93, can I just run any E85 that I find locally? Or does it have to be a special blend from Sunoco or other suppliers?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:52 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Too bad FWD and 205 section tires can't hold down the torque. I'll stay on Map B for now.
Good to hear its resolved! And I think the highlighted part there is the bigger problem. I have 215's and still have issues with holding down the torque. But I also do not have a LSD or eLSD for that matter so that part of my problem. Good thing I don't drag this car or else I'd be smoking a lot of tires

Old 08-13-2015, 01:38 PM
minivinnie92
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently use the bsh torque mount inserts it was night and day u can go stiffer if u want but with the bsh traction improved lots and vibration and harshness really didn't so it was a win win I still had a little wheel spin on map A with the run flats but when I switched to sticker tires I only have traction issues with cold tires on a launch at the track

Old 08-13-2015, 02:33 PM
DavidSR56
1st Gear
That definitely looks like something interesting. Still need some sticker rubber too. Thankfully I do have the LSD.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 PM
DavidSR56
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
Good to hear its resolved! And I think the highlighted part there is the bigger problem. I have 215's and still have issues with holding down the torque. But I also do not have a LSD or eLSD for that matter so that part of my problem. Good thing I don't drag this car or else I'd be smoking a lot of tires
Thanks Grizld!
I was thinking of switching to 215s as my tires are a bit stretched on my rims right now, but I see a good amount of tires for 205/45-17, but not 215/40-17.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:01 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Grizld!
I was thinking of switching to 215s as my tires are a bit stretched on my rims right now, but I see a good amount of tires for 205/45-17, but not 215/40-17.
Try searching 215/45/17

Old 08-13-2015, 08:33 PM
Indimanic
4th Gear
High Ocatne fuel

Originally Posted by Systemlord
How is it that you do not know that high octane gasoline burns slower than low octane gasoline with your background? The slow burn (a proper burn as fast as possible with proper intial and secondary ignition if designed for flame fronts instead of spontaneous uncontrolled explosions)
Only stopping the spontaneous unintended and uncontrolled combustion,prevents engine knock when cylinder pressures are high,
I have seen in person two long cylindrical tubes one with 87 octane and the other with 91 octane and ignited in a controlled environment using a special camera slowed down to quarter speed because the human eye is to slow to see it, 13 frames per second. The 91 octane not only burned slower but also a more complete burn, 87 octane burned off very quickly.
What do those tubes have in common with a combustion chamber with temps in the 260c range with charges travelling close to the speed of sound (768 mph FYI) and a piston flying up to combine with a squish areas in the CC and sources for secondary ignition??) Of course size matters; small bore pistons r more desirable for faster flame propogation, scavenging and quiker induction of the new charge.

Here's a good resource from the horse mouth so to speak and not the other end as...,
http://www.racegas.com/article/10
To quotes Sunoco which I use in my race car
"You might be surprised to learn that some of the highest octane fuels may also be some of the fastest burning fuels!"
Seems like some thoughts given here are debatable but mine would be not to give up their day job unless they works in the automotive repair biz, then one really needs to reconsider......

Last edited by Indimanic; 08-13-2015 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Indimanic
What do those tubes have in common with a combustion chamber with temps in the 260c range with charges travelling close to the speed of sound (768 mph FYI) and a piston flying up to combine with a squish areas in the CC and sources for secondary ignition??) Of course size matters; small bore pistons r more desirable for faster flame propogation, scavenging and quiker induction of the new charge.

Here's a good resource from the horse mouth so to speak and not the other end as...,
http://www.racegas.com/article/10
To quotes Sunoco which I use in my race car
"You might be surprised to learn that some of the highest octane fuels may also be some of the fastest burning fuels!"
Seems like some thoughts given here are debatable but mine would be not to give up their day job unless they works in the automotive repair biz, then one really needs to reconsider......

I guess it's going to take someone with a petroleum engineering degree for it to be good enough for you.

Last edited by Systemlord; 08-14-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:18 AM
Gearheadaddy
3rd Gear

Okay...here is a great word...FUEL...versus the word GASOLINE. Racing FUELS are NOT NECESSARILY 100% GASOLINE...That is why they burn at different rates of speed.
In 1973 I had the opportunity to drive a TOP FUEL DRAGSTER sponsored by Der Wienerschnitzel Restaurant drive-thru in West Covina. Along with automotive engineering classes and mechanical engineering classes, coupled with Citrus College in Glendora AA classes in Auto Mechanics I have some experience here. HIGHER octane GASOLINE burns slower than LOWER octane GASOLINE. That is FACT. PERIOD.

Old 08-16-2015, 03:05 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gearheadaddy
Okay...here is a great word...FUEL...versus the word GASOLINE. Racing FUELS are NOT NECESSARILY 100% GASOLINE...That is why they burn at different rates of speed.
In 1973 I had the opportunity to drive a TOP FUEL DRAGSTER sponsored by Der Wienerschnitzel Restaurant drive-thru in West Covina. Along with automotive engineering classes and mechanical engineering classes, coupled with Citrus College in Glendora AA classes in Auto Mechanics I have some experience here. HIGHER octane GASOLINE burns slower than LOWER octane GASOLINE. That is FACT. PERIOD.
Thank you for the clarification on higher octane gasoline versus racing fuels, you would think those who work in the automotive field would know the difference between the two different applications, pump gasoline and racing fuels.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:11 AM
malibujoey
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by malibujoey; 11-25-2015 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:08 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by malibujoey
I think Don Prudhomme had the top dragster in the 70's not the Der Weiner-schmuzel "hot dog" drive thru dragster. hahaha

Gas is gas. Get top tier like Chevron and 93-95.
WTF? Is this even relevant to the conversation?

Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 AM
DavidSR56
1st Gear
For those who are Stage 2, have you ever run an E85 mixture?

Old 08-17-2015, 02:30 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gearheadaddy
You WILL blow up your motor with knock on WOT. Use higher octane as the timing is too far advanced and causing detonation. You need gas that burns slower (higher octane). Remember this: Every "ping" possibly causes dents in the top of the piston! Enough pings and : BOOM
Originally Posted by Agbullet25
WTF? Is this even relevant to the conversation?
I believe someone mentioning that they didn't believe higher octane GASOLINE burned slower and that it might have lead to a debate which I don't really care for since all I did was add some clarification on higher octane GASOLINE as did other member's at the request of the poster, the information wasn't welcome by the member and seemed like some thoughts given were debatable. That's were my help ended since only someone with a petroleum engineering degree would be good enough to satisfy the poster. You can't satisfy everyone, it's impossible and a fact in any society and always will be till the end of time.

It wasn't my intention to clutter a valuable thread such as this with a debate, my post was meant to be quick and painless. I apologize for the clutter.

Old 08-18-2015, 10:53 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
I believe someone mentioning that they didn't believe higher octane GASOLINE burned slower and that it might have lead to a debate which I don't really care for since all I did was add some clarification on higher octane GASOLINE as did other member's at the request of the poster, the information wasn't welcome by the member and seemed like some thoughts given were debatable. That's were my help ended since only someone with a petroleum engineering degree would be good enough to satisfy the poster. You can't satisfy everyone, it's impossible and a fact in any society and always will be till the end of time.

It wasn't my intention to clutter a valuable thread such as this with a debate, my post was meant to be quick and painless. I apologize for the clutter.
My comment wasn't directed at you System. Your posts have led much discussion in this thread. The comment was directed at the asinine comment that Joey posted.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!