Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 12:12 PM
Minitauro
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any recommendations for official Manic tuners in the mid-Atlantic area? Wash D.C, VA, MD, PA, NC, NJ, NY. I have an N14 JCW

Old 02-22-2016, 12:41 PM
cguzz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minitauro
Any recommendations for official Manic tuners in the mid-Atlantic area? Wash D.C, VA, MD, PA, NC, NJ, NY. I have an N14 JCW
In case you haven't already checked...
http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233

Old 02-22-2016, 01:09 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
G3 is in Raleigh. The owner is Chris.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:35 PM
Minitauro
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
G3 is in Raleigh. The owner is Chris.
Thanks! Any reviews? I go to Raleigh at least once a month. - I probably should have prefaced my post by asking for personal recommendations - I'm looking for folks who have personal experience with the tuners, although thanks to cguzz for the link. PS - how do you like the PSS10s? I'm looking to replace my stock suspension and thinking of KW V2s or the PSS10s.

Last edited by Minitauro; 02-22-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:39 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Thanks! Any reviews? I go to Raleigh at least once a month. - I probably should have prefaced my post by asking for personal recommendations - I'm looking for folks who have personal experience with the tuners, although thanks to cguzz for the link. PS - how do you like the PSS10s? I'm looking to replace my stock suspension and thinking of KW V2s or the PSS10s.
I go to KMD Tuning is Saddle Brook. They're a VAG shop mostly but they specialize in ECU tunes. I've gone there for Stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 for some reason took a couple of hours but for stage 2 they had me in and out in 30 minutes. They may be a bit far north for you depending where you are though.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:26 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by thebombardier
I go to KMD Tuning is Saddle Brook. They're a VAG shop mostly but they specialize in ECU tunes. I've gone there for Stage 1 and 2. Stage 1 for some reason took a couple of hours but for stage 2 they had me in and out in 30 minutes. They may be a bit far north for you depending where you are though.
First Manic Tune you get they have to load a cracked file and then tune the ECU. Our ECU's are highly encrypted. So the first time you go it might take a while. The second time you go they just have to load the new tune.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:39 PM
thebombardier
5th Gear
Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by johntotah94
First Manic Tune you get they have to load a cracked file and then tune the ECU. Our ECU's are highly encrypted. So the first time you go it might take a while. The second time you go they just have to load the new tune.
Yeah I know but they said even N18 tunes usually don't take more than 2 hours or so and mine took 4. Whatever they still got it done.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:11 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Chris@G3 is great. He did my tune. He can do about anything including bottom end work like forged internals, etc. I'm sure that I'll have him do my engine work.

I can't compare the PSS10 to other coilovers since these are the only ones I've had but they are much better than the NM springs on factory struts that I used to have especially over large bumps. I do have them as low as they go and on the stiffest setting.

Old 02-26-2016, 05:53 PM
JCW Jet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by cguzz
In case you haven't already checked...
http://www.manicmini.com/dealer-map/4586066233
MINI Dynamics in No. Va have done both my MINI's and are absolutely great to work with:

http://www.minidynamics.com

Old 02-26-2016, 05:56 PM
JCW Jet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by thebombardier
MINI Dynamics in No. Va has done both my MINI's and are absolutely the best to work with:

http://www.minidynamics.com

Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So I'm look around at Turbo options. And I've come to the conclusion that I'm not going to stay with my DNA tune when I do so.

So that being said, has anyone switched from DNA to Manic? Also has anyone switch from RMW to Manic. Or vice versa?

Old 03-08-2016, 11:46 AM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I switched from DNA to Manic ....
My original thought process was DNA offered updates via email. That was a plus for me .
But once I got an upgraded retro headlights installed by the dealer my vin got changed and my DNA powergate wouldn't work. Was told to send it back so they could flash it. Well that was 8 month + ago and still have not seen it !!
Would I use it IF I got it back, not at all.
I'm very happy with my manic, car runs cooler, they step up the fuel pressure, can set boost levels etc . DNA can't do any of those mods .
Car is a beast when you ask for it, starts and idles fine , drives with no problems !
Jerry at Eurotech in Az. was more than helpful getting my car tuned .

Old 03-08-2016, 01:35 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
How about a switch from a custom AP tune to Manic --- Jerry at EuroTechs AZ gave me another 15% HP and torque over my AP dyno tune, with Manic's stage 4. And when I get desperate, I can always switch back to my AP tune --- it's the "base" tune on my Manic switch box.

Runs smoother around town; performs better around town; and don't even think about hiway performance improvements --- gotta love hiway 50, "the lonliest hiway in the country"!

Old 03-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
How about a switch from a custom AP tune to Manic --- Jerry at EuroTechs AZ gave me another 15% HP and torque over my AP dyno tune, with Manic's stage 4. And when I get desperate, I can always switch back to my AP tune --- it's the "base" tune on my Manic switch box.

Runs smoother around town; performs better around town; and don't even think about hiway performance improvements --- gotta love hiway 50, "the lonliest hiway in the country"!
That's saying something with your set up! I'm impressed to hear that with the complexity of your turbo set up.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:26 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
I forgot to bring up the switch. I think that is a plus to get. I ride around on map B which is 300hp/300tq meth , I can switch to C map for more power if needed.

Old 03-08-2016, 04:27 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Grizld700
That's saying something with your set up! I'm impressed to hear that with the complexity of your turbo set up.
I still can't (and don't want to) spin tires at launch, but low RPM performance is much improved. Also note that Manic worked around the ECU's 22PSI boost limit. My FCD's are now switched off but 30PSI is readily available --- they're still wired in and available when in "base" mode. And the AP is still fully functional, for reading codes, data logging, etc. Probably never use it again for switching maps --- that's what the Manic switch box is for.

Can't say enough for Manic --- very happy with them. Can't overlook the after-installation fine tuning I received either --- Jerry met me in CA at ThunderHill VII, to raise my RPM max to 7200. I requested 7500 but we compromised. I won't argue with experience!

Old 03-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
I forgot to bring up the switch. I think that is a plus to get. I ride around on map B which is 300hp/300tq meth , I can switch to C map for more power if needed.
That's very impressive! Are those numbers WHP or Crank? What are your supporting mods to get such a high result?

Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
I still can't (and don't want to) spin tires at launch, but low RPM performance is much improved. Also note that Manic worked around the ECU's 22PSI boost limit. My FCD's are now switched off but 30PSI is readily available --- they're still wired in and available when in "base" mode. And the AP is still fully functional, for reading codes, data logging, etc. Probably never use it again for switching maps --- that's what the Manic switch box is for.

Can't say enough for Manic --- very happy with them. Can't overlook the after-installation fine tuning I received either --- Jerry met me in CA at ThunderHill VII, to raise my RPM max to 7200. I requested 7500 but we compromised. I won't argue with experience!
No tire spin at launch would be great. My R56 roasts the tires as it is right now. Very difficult to get a good launch. And actually the only time I ever try is when autocrossing. Otherwise I hate trying to launch.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:27 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Assuming you don't dump the clutch and have sticky tires, you can avoid spinning the tires. Full power doesn't really come in till much higher in the revs (5k ish). And theres "lag" till about 3k.
But of course if you decide to dump the clutch at 2.5-3k, then you can spin it easily.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:46 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I have good DWS all-seasons (which I wound NOT call sticky by any stretch of the imagination) and in moderate temperatures, I will spin the tires all through 1,2 and half of 3. It is an automatic with no LSD.

This summer I will be getting ultra high performance summer tires. Looking at the RE11 or RE71-R.

Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
I'm running Michelin Pilot Super Sports. They're great but even with a sub 2.5k launch its difficult not to spin. I have a 2007, so no LSD or eLSD. And that's with linear throttle mapping. 2nd gear scratches and 3rd isn't an issue. Now with my winter tires I can get 4th to break loose

Old 03-09-2016, 10:55 AM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
I blame the big turbo combined with a light flywheel for my "no tire spin" issue. However, before Manic and driving alone, at 6 - 6.5K RPM I would often break loose just before shifting up to 2nd and 3rd --- with an LSD. Now, after Manic install, I break loose at the same points with an adult passenger. During the data logging experience with EuroTechs, Jerry noticed this and assured me it wasn't the clutch slipping. I'm pretty sure he was impressed --- data logs were kinda short too! I gotta admit to having Michelin Ice-X tires installed at the time (January) --- not my summer performance tires. Had to drive thru ice and snow to get there from here, and they're my normal winter tires.

Old 03-09-2016, 11:07 AM
GEMSTER
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I run RE-11As for autox and street. When its warm and the tires are up to temp (on a flat surface clean of dirt/moisture), it is harder to spin from a normal launch.

Or another way is to train your right foot lol

Old 03-09-2016, 04:18 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
GrizLD700 - Just the mods you see in my signature and an aftermarket turbo. The dyno sheet below shows my stock turbo with manic stage2+ in dotted lines. All I did was port matched the new manifold, bolt the new turbo on and made a dyno pull. The new turbo is the solid line.
I backed up these numbers in Phx before installing stage3+. I have not had time to dyno the manic stage3+ yet due to working out of town.

Gemster - not sure if you mean the power as in HP power comes on at 5K or just in general but as you can see in my dyno sheet , with stock or after market turbo having 300 torque at 3k is a touchy feel to keep from breaking lose...lol

But well said - you do have to train your foot..!!!
and have good tires, thats my next address- tires.... I have the Gforce comp 2 and they suck...lol

Old 03-09-2016, 04:30 PM
EuroTechsAZ
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Verified stage 2+ WHP before custom stage 3 update.. new 300+whp dyno sheet coming soon.

Attached Thumbnails Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!-barry.jpg  
Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
GrizLD700 - Just the mods you see in my signature and an aftermarket turbo. The dyno sheet below shows my stock turbo with manic stage2+ in dotted lines. All I did was port matched the new manifold, bolt the new turbo on and made a dyno pull. The new turbo is the solid line.
I backed up these numbers in Phx before installing stage3+. I have not had time to dyno the manic stage3+ yet due to working out of town.

Gemster - not sure if you mean the power as in HP power comes on at 5K or just in general but as you can see in my dyno sheet , with stock or after market turbo having 300 torque at 3k is a touchy feel to keep from breaking lose...lol

But well said - you do have to train your foot..!!!
and have good tires, thats my next address- tires.... I have the Gforce comp 2 and they suck...lol
Wow that's looking really good. I don't have meth yet Simon sure that helps a lot. Well that and the Turbo. Is this the same turbo that MarioKart sells by chance?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!