Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks everyone for your inputs. As we are a group of people investigating whats going on with our tunes, we discovered that this is happening only to N18 JCW and GP engines. At different altitudes and tunes, but all of them in Mexico. Wondering if there is something special in the ECU.

Old 09-05-2016, 01:53 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice dyno run, kind of looks like my stock turbo pull but no swing at the end like that. My stock turbo just ran out of air/breathe around 4500 just like what looks like what is going on with yours. Either boost leak or turbo would be what I would look at but I'm sure your tired of hearing that. Lol
Would be nice to see what the MAF was doing during that run .
That's your stage 3 turbo JMTC?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:50 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Ah no,
Sorry If I wasnt clear. As I was saying, a group of Miniacs here are experiencing somehow the same issue. The last graph was a stage 2, not mine. But it does the same as mine, "dies" at 5000rpm. N18 JCW

Old 09-05-2016, 03:33 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Different cars, different tunes, different engine models, in a different country --- not an easy problem to diagnose --- over the internet too.

Much as I'd like to offer advice / suggestions, I'm gonna pass.

Old 09-05-2016, 05:19 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Yeah those can be fun to chase ...
Keep your chin up and keep trying, how hard is it for you to drop down elevation and test ?
One thing that whipped my butt was a new K&N air filter that coated my MAF with oil, washed the filter and sprayed the MAF off with sensor cleaner and all lined out. I know your saying others are experiencing issues but it might be something to check

Old 09-05-2016, 07:30 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
Different cars, different tunes, different engine models, in a different country --- not an easy problem to diagnose --- over the internet too.

Much as I'd like to offer advice / suggestions, I'm gonna pass.
No no, dont pass!!!! Is a challenge for you!!

Only common to everyone is engine (N18 JCW) and drop in boost at 5000rpm.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:39 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniMoic
No no, dont pass!!!! Is a challenge for you!!

Only common to everyone is engine (N18 JCW) and drop in boost at 5000rpm.
So, there are no N14's in the group, or the N14 people aren't having this problem?

Old 09-05-2016, 07:42 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by ridinDirty
Yeah those can be fun to chase ... Keep your chin up and keep trying, how hard is it for you to drop down elevation and test ? One thing that whipped my butt was a new K&N air filter that coated my MAF with oil, washed the filter and sprayed the MAF off with sensor cleaner and all lined out. I know your saying others are experiencing issues but it might be something to check
I have a couple customers from NM and CO, that drove their Manic Tuned to the California ocean and noticed a huge power difference. I know live 1000' above sea level and notice the car doesn't pull as hard.

mQubed Motorsport, Manic Tuning Dealer

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 09-05-2016, 09:20 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Received 215 Likes on 152 Posts
I was thinking about this yesterday while loading a moving truck and something struck me (no it wasn't a box). We've all been forgetting pressure ratio and our compressor maps. We all know you can make 280 bhp (245 to the wheel) with a JCW turbo at sea level. Lot's of folks have done it. But what happens when we figure altitude into our compressor maps.

280 bhp needs 28 lbs/min or .17 M3/s of air flow. We also know that 1.5 bar or 21.75 psi of boost will get us there. So lets plot it on a JCW compressor map at sea level.

Pressure ratio = (atmospheric pressure + boost pressure)/inlet pressure. Inlet pressure at the turbo is typically calculated as 1 psi less than atmospheric due to the pressure drop caused by the air filter and inlet.

(14.7 + 21.75)/13.75 = 2.65 pressure ratio.

Now lets try the same calculation at 8000 feet where atmospheric pressure is 10.9 psi.

(10.9 + 21.75)/9.9 = 3.29 pressure ratio.

Here are those figures plotted on a JCW compressor. The blue dot is where we land at sea level and the red dot is at 8000 feet.

Hitting those pressure ratio and flow numbers at 8000 feet is just beyond the JCW turbos capabilities.

Just for kicks lets do the same thing with the JMTC 47mm GT Dominator.

Same story here. This one not only puts us beyond the rpm limit of the turbo but also on the wrong side of the surge line.

There's an old joke that goes like this. A man was driving across the US and got lost so he stops and asks this farmer for directions. The farmer scratches his beard in thought for a second and says "Well you keep going down this road till you get to the stop light in town... No, no wait a minute that ain't gonna work." He thinks a bit more and says "Ok young feller. Turn around and go back the way you came. When you get to the fork in the road... Nah that ain't gonna work neither." After thinking for several minutes the farmer finally looks at the man and says "I'm sorry son but I don't think you can get there from here."

In short, without a larger compressor exducer I don't think we can get there from here.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:30 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
So, there are no N14's in the group, or the N14 people aren't having this problem?
We have in our "team" a couble of N14´s, Manic tunned, and they do not experience this sudden drop in boost.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:49 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011
I was thinking about this yesterday while loading a moving truck and something struck me (no it wasn't a box). We've all been forgetting pressure ratio and our compressor maps. We all know you can make 280 bhp (245 to the wheel) with a JCW turbo at sea level. Lot's of folks have done it. But what happens when we figure altitude into our compressor maps.

280 bhp needs 28 lbs/min or .17 M3/s of air flow. We also know that 1.5 bar or 21.75 psi of boost will get us there. So lets plot it on a JCW compressor map at sea level.

Pressure ratio = (atmospheric pressure + boost pressure)/inlet pressure. Inlet pressure at the turbo is typically calculated as 1 psi less than atmospheric due to the pressure drop caused by the air filter and inlet.

(14.7 + 21.75)/13.75 = 2.65 pressure ratio.

Now lets try the same calculation at 8000 feet where atmospheric pressure is 10.9 psi.

(10.9 + 21.75)/9.9 = 3.29 pressure ratio.

Here are those figures plotted on a JCW compressor. The blue dot is where we land at sea level and the red dot is at 8000 feet.

Hitting those pressure ratio and flow numbers at 8000 feet is just beyond the JCW turbos capabilities.

Just for kicks lets do the same thing with the JMTC 47mm GT Dominator.

Same story here. This one not only puts us beyond the rpm limit of the turbo but also on the wrong side of the surge line.

There's an old joke that goes like this. A man was driving across the US and got lost so he stops and asks this farmer for directions. The farmer scratches his beard in thought for a second and says "Well you keep going down this road till you get to the stop light in town... No, no wait a minute that ain't gonna work." He thinks a bit more and says "Ok young feller. Turn around and go back the way you came. When you get to the fork in the road... Nah that ain't gonna work neither." After thinking for several minutes the farmer finally looks at the man and says "I'm sorry son but I don't think you can get there from here."

In short, without a larger compressor exducer I don't think we can get there from here.

This is the kind of conversation I like to have. And for sure a excellent explanation of whats going on at high altitudes. Somehow as I was saying, the oxigen is there, the thing is that the turbo cant do the work. So either we set lower target HP´s (hence less air flow required) or get a different turbo, or trying to reduce intlet drop, or move to the right the dot

By the way MAP B is set to 1.4bar, that will put us in PR 3.15, right?

Last edited by MiniMoic; 09-06-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
So Tigger, based in your input, I will have to fit one of these turbos for my application, right?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:18 PM
Babidi
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have confirmed that updating the entire vehicle eliminates the VIN code error. When I can get some spare time I hope to be able to determine if just a few specific ECU's can be updated as opposed to the entire vehicle. Six plus hours for a full vehicle update plus the time for a Manic tune makes for a long day.
Thank you for this info.
In your opinion having this fault (if I do not have an option to update the entire car) is still ok for the tune and car?

Old 09-06-2016, 01:59 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
I know you guys are talking about N18's but I did see a little performance lost the higher I went up but isn't that to be expected with the air ?
I got out and tried to do some walking/hiking and my performance was down as well. So i just decided to hit the ski lodge and have a few beers...lol

Old 09-06-2016, 03:01 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
So Tigger, based in your input, I will have to fit one of these turbos for my application, right?

Lol no I'd pass on that one but I might well consider an Owens. It would hurt the pocket book but with the 60 mm exducer you'd have an even better trim of 54. Generally the smaller the trim the more efficient the compressor will be at higher pressure ratios.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:44 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Lol no I'd pass on that one but I might well consider an Owens. It would hurt the pocket book but with the 60 mm exducer you'd have an even better trim of 54. Generally the smaller the trim the more efficient the compressor will be at higher pressure ratios.
I sent them an email last week and no luck so far. Do you have a compresor map/what turbo model they sell for the N18?

Old 09-06-2016, 04:36 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
They only sell one. 44.5 mm inducer with 60 mm exducer. Should flow enough for 350-360 bhp. Call it 310 to the wheels give or take. I haven't been able to get a map out of them. Check some of our other outstanding vendors. Might have one in stock and might convince them to produce a map so we can get a better idea.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:19 PM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
They only sell one. 44.5 mm inducer with 60 mm exducer. Should flow enough for 350-360 bhp. Call it 310 to the wheels give or take. I haven't been able to get a map out of them. Check some of our other outstanding vendors. Might have one in stock and might convince them to produce a map so we can get a better idea.
Perfect, thanks Tigger. So there is no way I can have this Dominator turbo? even dropping boost?

Old 09-11-2016, 10:48 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Although I didn't tune our friends in Mexico City I have been in contact with them and we are working towards a solution. Based on their boost log in stock mode it appears that lowering the boost alleviates the surging issue which makes sense as the pressure ratio being requested is lower.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:22 AM
Zponcho
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I didn't tune our friends in Mexico City I have been in contact with them and we are working towards a solution. Based on their boost log in stock mode it appears that lowering the boost alleviates the surging issue which makes sense as the pressure ratio being requested is lower.
Thank you tigger! I switch the map to A (R58 JCW with loba turbo) feels good, today run in the dyno

PD: sorry for bad english LOL

Old 10-03-2016, 10:14 AM
tunerlab
Neutral
For some reason the ECM trigers the blow off at that RPM, we performed tests on another mini and got this results, we wired a 5v analog signal input to the connector of the BOV (OEM), see when torques start to goes down is the same time blow off discharges.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:07 AM
MiniMoic
4th Gear
Originally Posted by tunerlab
For some reason the ECM trigers the blow off at that RPM, we performed tests on another mini and got this results, we wired a 5v analog signal input to the connector of the BOV (OEM), see when torques start to goes down is the same time blow off discharges.
Interesting that now your are proving the theory I talked to Poncho and you said it was not what was causing the boost to drop No worries, just kidding.

But I think this can be solved via software, cant it?

Old 10-03-2016, 01:06 PM
tunerlab
Neutral
Interesting that now your are proving the theory I talked to Poncho and you said it was not what was causing the boost to drop No worries, just kidding.

But I think this can be solved via software, cant it?

We tried several times, focusing on map boost lock and baro boost lock and still the same problem. We even tried with european tuners that tune stage 3 minis and they also don´t understand why this happens. Another thing we tried is that requested torque to be higher than calculated (that might trigger this) but no luck also.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:19 PM
Tigger2011
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by tunerlab
Based on the first set of DashCommand log files for a different vehicle in MC the AFR appear a little lean in stock mode. I have requested additional .lgf files in Map A and Map B. A lean condition could trigger the ECU to dump pressure in order to protect the engine. Tunerlab have you recorded AFR's during these runs or made log files using DashCommand that you could send me at lou@prototype-r.com? Also please provide any details you may have of the tune installed and supporting mod's.

To whomever installed these tunes please feel free to contact me at the email above. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated in helping resolve the clients difficulties.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:35 PM
tunerlab
Neutral
Dyno runs with AFR

Based on the first set of DashCommand log files for a different vehicle in MC the AFR appear a little lean in stock mode. I have requested additional .lgf files in Map A and Map B. A lean condition could trigger the ECU to dump pressure in order to protect the engine. Tunerlab have you recorded AFR's during these runs or made log files using DashCommand that you could send me at lou@prototype-r.com? Also please provide any details you may have of the tune installed and supporting mod's.

To whomever installed these tunes please feel free to contact me at the email above. Any input you have would be greatly appreciated in helping resolve the clients difficulties.
Tigger

here is dyno runs for PONCHO Mini JCW with and without BOV (forge) and AFR measured with lambda on exhaust.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Manic Motorsport brings us N18 owners OBD II Tuning! Solution is finally here!