Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain NEVER put on AEM Turbo Heatshield, EVER

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 05:47 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks. I'm already on the road

When you have access to various shops, their lifts, and their parts department it's not hard to get in and out rather swiftly

Old 02-05-2014, 11:07 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
What ever happened to that thread where a user's M7 heat shield melted his valve cover? I can't seem to find it.

Old 02-06-2014, 05:10 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ra2fanatic
What ever happened to that thread where a user's M7 heat shield melted his valve cover? I can't seem to find it.
I know the one you're talking about but I couldn't find it with a quick search either. I did find a few other melted valve covers...

Melted at the track https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...lve-cover.html

Just melted https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eatshield.html

Old 02-06-2014, 06:09 AM
daonlyillwiz
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
honestly, you guys should just do it right and take off the exhaust manifold and send it out to get ceramic coated. Your under the hood temps will drop significantly AND you can use your stock manifold...just my .02

Old 02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
ltjpunk7
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
honestly, you guys should just do it right and take off the exhaust manifold and send it out to get ceramic coated. Your under the hood temps will drop significantly AND you can use your stock manifold...just my .02
Money don't grow on trees, homie.

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 02-06-2014, 08:42 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Old 02-06-2014, 07:42 PM
mikeyb74
6th Gear
I just installed the latest version of the AEM CAI on my 09 MCS. I'll have to keep an eye out.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:45 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by daonlyillwiz
What does something like this cost?

Old 03-15-2014, 03:33 PM
two250
4th Gear
Wanted to update this thread. I have been keeping an eye on my NM shield after seeing this post. Well it's starting to heat up here in SoCal and guess what? Valve cover is already starting to warp in the exact same spot as ra2fanatic's. So I pulled it off this morning. It's for sale in the marketplace if anyone wants to risk it...

Old 03-15-2014, 06:44 PM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
I just read this thread and I'm glad I did. I ordered the M7 heatshield that's been on back order for a couple of weeks. now I'm thinking I should cancel my order and hope nothing happens to my hood scoop in the long run with the heat from the turbo and so on.

geez... you think you're doing good by buying a heatshield to prevent heat damage (as in the hood scoop) and then u realize you're F'ed in other places.

Old 03-15-2014, 08:07 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Originally Posted by two250
Wanted to update this thread. I have been keeping an eye on my NM shield after seeing this post. Well it's starting to heat up here in SoCal and guess what? Valve cover is already starting to warp in the exact same spot as ra2fanatic's. So I pulled it off this morning. It's for sale in the marketplace if anyone wants to risk it...
If you're under warranty, see if the dealer will replace your valve cover. Flash to stock before you go in!

Originally Posted by miniforozzie
I just read this thread and I'm glad I did. I ordered the M7 heatshield that's been on back order for a couple of weeks. now I'm thinking I should cancel my order and hope nothing happens to my hood scoop in the long run with the heat from the turbo and so on.

geez... you think you're doing good by buying a heatshield to prevent heat damage (as in the hood scoop) and then u realize you're F'ed in other places.
Don't do it, quickly cancel that order!

Old 03-16-2014, 06:39 AM
Yakatak
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had the M7 shield on my JCW for two hot SC Summers, with no problems. The M7 seals against the head, just below the cam cover, which prevents turbo-heated air from blasting the plastic cover. That said...Due to the problems some have had, I removed it and installed the WMW wrap a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the hood still gets too hot to touch with the wrap installed!? So today (or, as soon as I finish the valve cleaning...aarrggh) I'm going to re-install the M7..with the wrap.

Jon in SC

Old 03-16-2014, 08:29 AM
two250
4th Gear
If you're under warranty, see if the dealer will replace your valve cover. Flash to stock before you go in!
Unfortunately no warranty over here
Originally Posted by Yakatak
I've had the M7 shield on my JCW for two hot SC Summers, with no problems. The M7 seals against the head, just below the cam cover, which prevents turbo-heated air from blasting the plastic cover. That said...Due to the problems some have had, I removed it and installed the WMW wrap a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the hood still gets too hot to touch with the wrap installed!? So today (or, as soon as I finish the valve cleaning...aarrggh) I'm going to re-install the M7..with the wrap.

Jon in SC
Well the M7 might be OK then. My NM shield did have a lip hanging down but there was still a gap to let air through. I want to try this: http://www.nm-eng.com/231/11/0/2596/...ver.html#popUp

Old 03-16-2014, 09:16 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
M7 is not okay. If anything the M7 was the first heat shield with a reported issue causing valve cover warpage. There was a huge thread and M7 did not own up to the design flaw. I you're going to wrap the turbo I'd say wrap it and leave it at that. Let that bit of heat travel up and not off the sides of a heat shield that can potentially cause further damage.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:20 AM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Plain and simple, they trap heat.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:27 AM
miniforozzie
2nd Gear
I just canceled my order with M7. Thank God I read this thread.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
^Glad I saved you some money!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:22 PM
two250
4th Gear
M7 is not okay. If anything the M7 was the first heat shield with a reported issue causing valve cover warpage. There was a huge thread and M7 did not own up to the design flaw. I you're going to wrap the turbo I'd say wrap it and leave it at that. Let that bit of heat travel up and not off the sides of a heat shield that can potentially cause further damage.
Thanks for clearing that up! No more shields for me!
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Plain and simple, they trap heat.
Yea I was skeptical when I bought it, just thought it made the engine look really clean and it might help with hood heat. I still think my hood was just as hot though...

Old 03-16-2014, 12:26 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In terms of just keeping the hood cooler, install the factory heat shield over the rear of the scoop -

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...at_shield.html

Its just a thin shape of metal, some minor cutting is needed to make it fit the later Gen 2 cars, but it works quite well..

You can also install some of this on the underside of the hood - http://www.designengineering.com/cat...s/reflect-cool

That stuff works very, very well.. and really keeps things from getting cooked.. like stripes and scoops.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:35 AM
Lotus_
1st Gear
i have nm heatshield in my 2012 MCSa almost 1 year
just checked it after read this thread
and i think i dont have any issue in valve or anything under it
btw my engine standart

Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 AM
SSSSSSSS
Coordinator :: M2C2
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The heat shield from WMW works well. Same configuration as Out Motoring. We've had one on my wife's '07 MCS for 6 years with no problems. I installed it after the 2nd scoop warped.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by danjreed
In terms of just keeping the hood cooler, install the factory heat shield over the rear of the scoop -

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...at_shield.html

Its just a thin shape of metal, some minor cutting is needed to make it fit the later Gen 2 cars, but it works quite well..

You can also install some of this on the underside of the hood - http://www.designengineering.com/cat...s/reflect-cool

That stuff works very, very well.. and really keeps things from getting cooked.. like stripes and scoops.
+1

did just that and my hood dropped 30 degrees

Old 03-17-2014, 06:06 PM
potterstein
2nd Gear
Ugh!!! My turbo inlet tube just broke so I figured it would be a good time to upgrade the intake. I've got the AEM on order but this thread has scared the hell out of me :-(

My concern now is if I take the turbo shield off, it's going to warp or melt the scoop intake...

I live in Phoenix, AZ, and temps are 110+ all summer long. The reflect-a-cool lining seems like a good idea, I just don't think it will be enough :-(

Thoughts?

Old 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Why would you take the turbo heat shield off? Are you referring to the AEM's heat shield?

If you're very worried, get the turbo blanket that Alta or WMW has I suppose. I went the ceramic coating route and don't bother running any shielding...

Old 03-17-2014, 06:24 PM
potterstein
2nd Gear
Why would you take the turbo heat shield off? Are you referring to the AEM's heat shield?
Yeah that's what i meant :-x

Also, with the ceramic coating. What did you get done and around how much did it cost?

Quick Reply: Drivetrain NEVER put on AEM Turbo Heatshield, EVER