Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Modded Airbox/Cowl with BMP PICS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004 | 08:10 AM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
Modded Airbox/Cowl with BMP PICS

Here you go gang. I modded my BMP/ProMINI setup. I am loving the new sound. Mega SC whine right under the windshield. Sure sounds good. I did my own mod instead of the standard swiss cheese mod, because I wanted to seal out as much hot air from the engine comp. as possible. I don't know If I notice any hp differnce but the more pronounced SC whine is more than worth it!!!

Go to my website if you want the full detalied desription of each pic.

http://www.bancroftsonline.com/minimod/index.html

Old 06-08-2004 | 10:16 AM
minichrist
2nd Gear
Very nice.

I've had my BMP/ProMini intake for about 6 months, and I've been devising ever since an effective way to isolate it from the engine compartment and at the same time bust through into the cowl for more fresh air.

This is a solid attempt at improving upon an already established mod. You say it looks ghetto, but I think your method of attachment is effective, and the finished product actually looks more OE then just the BMP without your mod.

I can understand why BMP/ProMini didn’t extend the length of their heat shield into the cowl for reasons of easy installation/marketability/cost, but I still wanted it to anyway.

How long has it been since you’ve completed this, and have you noticed any rattling or movement since? I know this has been discussed before, but is there any chance of water ingestion?

BTW, thanks for taking the time to document your process. Well Done.

-jeff

Old 06-08-2004 | 10:32 AM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
I just did it yesterday. I have only driven it twice since I did the mod. No rattles or other strange sounds yet. As for water ingestion, I don't know. Part of why I have the pipe extended past the cowl wall is so that it acts as a bit of a overhead cover for water dripping. There is not a very direct path from the hood vent to the pipe though. I would suspect any possibility of water would be a few drops at best.

Take a look at this mod
http://www.webbmotorsports.com/forum...topic.php?t=15

As you can see from the standard swiss cheese style, I think my mod keeps the barrier largely intact and the protruding pipe helps.

I will try to post more of my observations (strickly subjective) later.

Old 06-08-2004 | 11:20 AM
countrym
6th Gear
Can you post a wider shot of the whole thing assembled, please?

And do you have a scoop on the cowl, or did you just leave the stock plastic mesh vent in place?

Nice job!

Old 06-08-2004 | 11:52 AM
flyboy2160
4th Gear
nice job sean!

i've been toying with a similar design i'll build from scratch using a cylindrical paper element. i don't care for the oiled fabric ones.

flyboy2160

Old 06-08-2004 | 01:08 PM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
Here is a slightly wider pic of the final product

No cowl scoops just the standard mesh jobies.

Old 06-09-2004 | 11:21 PM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
I would love more feed back on this mod. Anybody care to comment on weather or not there is a very real risk of water ingestion with this type of mod or similar setups using the swiss cheese method.

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:01 AM
JBOO
2nd Gear
I don't see why there would be anymore risk than say someone using the Alta intake. You remove the entire back plate for that install.

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:01 AM
caddman
Banned
no risk i have taken two garden hoses to that area to see if i could "outrun" the drains simulating a real heavy downpour(i never seen one as heavy as two garden hoses wide open) it just drains to the ground, there is one on each side and the area under the "vents" are connected so if some odd reason one were to clog there still is the other.........my reason for testing is for scoops that i have designed to fit those vent area to add some ram induction to this added cold air.........

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:08 AM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
THanks for the reply. Thanks to your garden hose method, there is one less thing to worry about.

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:01 PM
Flatsix
2nd Gear
I dont think there is a risk at all! I personally think thats an awsome idea. So i just got back from the home depot and the biggest piece of pipe they had was only 4'' . And i would have to buy a HUGE long piece of it just to get that little piece for my car, they didnt have any shorty pieces like that and none were in black . Where did u get the 6''?

-scott

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:21 PM
discodan
5th Gear
why did you bother reattaching the stainless heatshield? just for better aesthetics?

Old 06-10-2004 | 12:26 PM
countrym
6th Gear
I wouldn't worry too much about water ingestion. There's a lot of space between the intake and the throttle body.

I think it would look pretty trick if you slapped a cowl scoop on there, just on the one side. Something along the line of these Orciari scoops, but just on the driver's side. Form meets function, baby!

Old 06-10-2004 | 02:40 PM
caddman
Banned
actually cant run just one scoop for they are connected, air would go in one out the other, both scoops would have to be inplace, and as for the orciari, not very fuctional , not enough surface area of the scoop to "grab" any air, and not to mention price is ridiculous , im finishing up my carbon fiber ones and they are still cheaper than their unpainted fiberglass...then i have my unpaited abs even less expensive than that

Old 06-10-2004 | 04:49 PM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
I wasn't really worried too much about water ingestion, its just that I didn't really have anything concrete to help me be completely worry free (thanks caddman for that).

Discodan: I put the heat shield back on because part of my whole goal was to have the intake draw air from sources that were plentiful with fresh air (ie not the engine bay). I realize their is a whole long debate on this...but anyway I think am getting better air now.

Flastix: Let me tell you this section of pipe was not easy to find. It is about a two foot long piece that they sell with yard/garden drainage stuff. It is some sort of riser pipe...and thats why it is sold in this length. I suppose 4" would be better than nothing, but part of my goal was to be able to seal my custom made piece agaist the inside of my BMP cover (heat shield).

Old 06-10-2004 | 05:28 PM
Flatsix
2nd Gear
Thanks for the help. I had simply gone to the plumbing section and didnt have time to look around. Was in a hurry as i had to get to work soon. Ill head back over there tomorrow and see what they have in the gardening section.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 06-10-2004 | 09:33 PM
Flatsix
2nd Gear
Ok, this is for sure not easy. After i got off work at 7, i headed back to the local Home Depot and alas, the biggest size drain piping they had was ... you guessed it ... 4''. Also, all of it was ribbed. None of it was smooth like that. I thought about getting a 4'' piece and cutting it and stetching it but it wouldnt be the same. Where do i go next?

-scott

Old 06-10-2004 | 10:42 PM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
For the cost of shipping I could send you a piece of my left over pipe. I probably have enough left for two to three pieces.

Old 06-11-2004 | 07:57 AM
Flatsix
2nd Gear
That could work. Find out how much it would be if you can and i may take you up on that offer.

-scott

Old 06-11-2004 | 08:17 AM
biggripper
|
6th Gear
I will do that. It may take me several days to get around to it though.

PM me your shipping info.