Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:31 PM
Jimbaco
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cerenkov
The lower light should only come on by itself during a low water level event. It will first be intermittent and will stay solid if the condition remains for greater than 20 seconds. (Mine starts coming on at about 1/4 full). Since it happens during acceleration as you'd expect if the level is actually low (but yours is full) makes you wonder if yours is defective or maybe the level sensor needs adjusting. I'd contact Jeff at Howerton (if you purchased it from him) or Richard at Aquamist maybe they can tell you how to adjust the sensor.
Thank you!!!

Old 03-18-2015, 06:31 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone explain what a Check Valve is used for? and will it effect Nozzle flow cc/min?

I need to replace a crappy solenoid that I was using. These are used for trunk mounted set-ups, or when Nozzle is lower than Tank. Not sure if I should also look into a Check valve.

My goal is to ensure highest flow output, while maintaining pressure in the line.

Thanks...

Old 03-18-2015, 07:45 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
A check valve will only allow flow in one direction. There are many designs but you can think of it as a flapper on a hinge, like a door. Check valves require a minimum pressure to initiate flow. This is called the cracking pressure.

The check valve that is installed in the Aquamist system is located immediately before the jet. The purpose of it is to prevent the methanol/water from draining into the intake track after the car is shutdown. I believe that it is a 15 psi cracking pressure check valve.

Yes, anything in the line can affect the flow rate. You can easily measure the flow rate afterward to determine the affect.

Old 03-18-2015, 08:10 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
A check valve will only allow flow in one direction. There are many designs but you can think of it as a flapper on a hinge, like a door. Check valves require a minimum pressure to initiate flow. This is called the cracking pressure.

The check valve that is installed in the Aquamist system is located immediately before the jet. The purpose of it is to prevent the methanol/water from draining into the intake track after the car is shutdown. I believe that it is a 15 psi cracking pressure check valve.

Yes, anything in the line can affect the flow rate. You can easily measure the flow rate afterward to determine the affect.
Cool, thanks...

Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
So today, after some intense troubleshooting, I have identified that my Solenoid that is located between the tank and pump, has in some way failed. It was not opening up, basically ocluding the meth line.

So now I'm running a line from tank to pump and pump to nozzle. I don't believe there will be much siphoning effect being the tank is trunk mounted. However, need opinions on whether I should be worried running this set up? Also, would you all recommend I replace the solenoid with a new improved version, or would a check valve be suffice for my simple boost activated set up.

Thanks...

Old 04-03-2015, 08:22 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Decided to add some lighting to help with being able to quickly see the level in the tank. First added a courtesy light ($10) on the right side which is the same as the OEM version that is on the left. I wanted to use the OEM plug connector but it's not available to purchase separately so I had to cut one off a wiring harness from a salvage yard. They charged me $20, ouch! Then since I was there, I added some blue LEDs from Advance Auto ($15). They are both powered off the boot light circuit so they only turn on with the boot is open.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
nice touch , now if you can have your iPhone/Scangauge play disco music and get the blue led to beat to the music you will be a "pimp".....

Nice job as always

Old 04-03-2015, 06:58 PM
J 13
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blue light looks good! I opted for the red LED from aquamist I swear I have to hit the tank with my hand to see the fluid levels lol.

I installed a rear seat delete kit and now I'm thinking of modifying my aquamist methanol tank and somehow get it closer to the side for better fitment. It looks ugly, huge gap and wires are exposed lol.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Decided to add some lighting to help with being able to quickly see the level in the tank. First added a courtesy light ($10) on the right side which is the same as the OEM version that is on the left. I wanted to use the OEM plug connector but it's not available to purchase separately so I had to cut one off a wiring harness from a salvage yard. They charged me $20, ouch! Then since I was there, I added some blue LEDs from Advance Auto ($15). They are both powered off the boot light circuit so they only turn on with the boot is open.

Cerenkov,

I need your electrical support, LOL. I have the Blue LED set up but don't know which wires to tap into😞
I would also love to add that extra lighting like you did. Let me know if you have some free time. I would head your way just to take notes an all.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:33 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Eddie,

The wiring is fairly straight forward if you tap off of existing courtesy light. The light just pries out. The purple wire is +12V while the purple w/ yellow stripe is GND. If you accidentally short the wire you'll blow fuse #16 (at least on our model years), ask how I know... lol. You can use posi-taps if you don't feel like splicing and soldering.

The courtesy light is part #63316961999 and comes with a bulb, but I switched it out for one of the extra MINI LEDs I got when MINI of Peabody was having that great clearance sale on the LED kits.

Then just run the wires from the driver side to the passenger side. I tucked them under the flooring trim piece that borders the boot and rear seat.

Feel free to look me up whenever you're in Raleigh, I'll usually available nearly all the time.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:31 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Anyone still waiting to buy an Aquamist kit?
I just posted mine in the marketplace. HFS-4 with the Howerton Tank.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Originally Posted by johntotah94
Anyone still waiting to buy an Aquamist kit?
I just posted mine in the marketplace. HFS-4 with the Howerton Tank.

I'm amazed your kit has not had an offer... Seems the Die hard modder's have modded out.

Come on NAM, someone has to be looking for more power via higher octane/cooler temps/and a sense of security

Bump for a good deal...

Old 04-18-2015, 06:22 PM
Roxspin72
4th Gear
Thanks to Brandon, Local THMMC Member... my R56 is running it's new Howerton Methanol tank in style:

Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 AM
mp5999
4th Gear
Meth smell

You guys ever get a bad meth smell when in boost ?? If I run much more then 60% meth to water ratio I get a pretty decent meth smell in cabin. No leaks , everything appears to be hooked up properly, and I don't even have the meth tank inside car - I use the washer fluid reservoir. Here's a pic of my settings and I'm using the 7 with no restrictor.

Attached Thumbnails Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems-image.jpg  
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mp5999
You guys ever get a bad meth smell when in boost ?? If I run much more then 60% meth to water ratio I get a pretty decent meth smell in cabin. No leaks , everything appears to be hooked up properly, and I don't even have the meth tank inside car - I use the washer fluid reservoir. Here's a pic of my settings and I'm using the 7 with no restrictor.
Every so often I do experience the sweet smell of alcohol (actually it is more of an acetone smell).

The FAV is mounted near the cabin air intake so whenever I've noticed the smell I've checked to make sure the connections in that area are secure and they always have been.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:02 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Has anyone installed an HFS-4 from Howerton in a Clubman?
Most specifically - I'm looking for guidance on the tank.
Jeff is suggesting the CTS-V tank, but that looks too wide for the wheel well (20" in diameter where the CTS-V tank lists 22" wide for the rectangular part on his web site); and too tall for the storage space: 8" where we only have 6".
I'd prefer to put it in the wheel well - so wondering if anyone has found a solution.

Old 05-04-2015, 03:46 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Zephyrgtw
Has anyone installed an HFS-4 from Howerton in a Clubman?
Most specifically - I'm looking for guidance on the tank.
Jeff is suggesting the CTS-V tank, but that looks too wide for the wheel well (20" in diameter where the CTS-V tank lists 22" wide for the rectangular part on his web site); and too tall for the storage space: 8" where we only have 6".
I'd prefer to put it in the wheel well - so wondering if anyone has found a solution.
I'm in the same boat! I saw pics on their site with the twin tank installed under the false floor where the spare would go (if you had it). I'm thinking that will be a much better solution for us and still allow use of all that space... The CTS tank looks great but would really like to confirm if it fits before getting it. He didn't seem to have specifics on if it would fit or not and i haven't measured anything as of yet.

Here is a pic of the twin tanks in the sub-floor of the clubman. There was also another on the site showing the false floor fully closed.

Attached Thumbnails Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems-clubmantank.jpg  
Old 05-04-2015, 05:14 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
I know people have done similar installs for the Countryman. Turned out really good.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Dustypants - the twin tank is looking like a more viable option... though looks too tall for the false floor to be flat - it would still be better; as that under-floor space above the spare comes in handy (part of the reason I like the Clubman). Jeff Howerton said: "most people with your setup use the CTS-V tank"; but the measurements just don't seem to agree - so I would want to see a pic. Until further evidence - your picture of the twin-tank looks to be the best solution.

Cerenkov - the Countryman has the sub-floor like we do in the Clubman, but no wheel well; so the CTS-V tank works for them; but takes up much of the available space. If we can indeed get something in the wheel well - then the Clubman would still have that extra storage space.

Experience & Pictures are helpful

Old 05-04-2015, 07:51 PM
wzabrouski
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correct the CM has a different subfloor than the Clubman. I was the test mule for the CTS-V tank in a CM. There is a photo buried in this thread somewhere. I can get you some measurements of the tank if you need them.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Zephyrgtw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wzabrouski
Correct the CM has a different subfloor than the Clubman. I was the test mule for the CTS-V tank in a CM. There is a photo buried in this thread somewhere. I can get you some measurements of the tank if you need them.
That would be great (measurements); thanks!
From Howerton's website I believe the rectangular part is 22" wide. If it is smaller - then the largest diagonal would be helpful. We have a 20" diameter wheel well... I think it's too big.

Old 05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
One more question! Who is running this in the SF Bay Area? Where are you getting your fuel from? So far i've only found one place on-line that will ship VP M1, but for the same price as a 5 gallon pail of the stuff! Basically double the price to have it shipped to me? No thanks, if I can find it locally.

Anyone?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Dustypants
3rd Gear
another stupid question!

What brand of fuels are you guys running in your kits? VP M1 seems really, really, hard to get where I'm at... The sunoco methanol seems to be a bit more easy to obtain, and locally for me.

I know folks like VP stuff better, but anyone run both and compare?

Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Dustypants
another stupid question!

What brand of fuels are you guys running in your kits? VP M1 seems really, really, hard to get where I'm at... The sunoco methanol seems to be a bit more easy to obtain, and locally for me.

I know folks like VP stuff better, but anyone run both and compare?
I use Renegade Fuels. Their methanol is 99.99%, so it is good stuff. I pay $35 for 5 gallons in NC.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:48 PM
johntotah94
6th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Dustypants
One more question! Who is running this in the SF Bay Area? Where are you getting your fuel from? So far i've only found one place on-line that will ship VP M1, but for the same price as a 5 gallon pail of the stuff! Basically double the price to have it shipped to me? No thanks, if I can find it locally.

Anyone?
ERC Racing Fuels

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Aquamist HFS Methanol Injection Systems