Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain New logging software - BMWLogger

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014 | 01:51 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
New logging software - BMWLogger

I've been getting fed up with the OBDII data logging solutions available for our Mini's. I've tried DashCommand, ScanXL Pro and others, with less than optimal results. Slow data capture rates, PIDS that don't fully support the available data that our ECU's can provide like Vanos position, fuel injector timing, MAF sensor etc. Recently however I came across a data logger specific to BMW's that utilizes the same K+DCAN cable as INPA to read and log data directly from the DME. The free version of the software can register a new battery with IBS, read and clear codes and allows you to view previously recorded logs as well as export them into .csv files to import into MSExcel or other viewers.

So I downloaded the free version from here.
http://bimmersoftware.com/BMWLogger-2

As well as a previously recorded log from here.
http://bimmersoftware.com/software/i...s/MSS60-MSS65/

After playing with it a bit I exported the data to a .csv file and imported that into Excel to review. The capture rate is outstanding as it was recording RPM, Vehicle Speed, Mass Air Flow, Throttle Position Sensor, Injection Timing, Engine Coolant Temp, Inlet Air Temp, Timing Advance, Oil Temp, Intake Vanos position, Exhaust Vanos position and Lambda at approx 10 samples per second. I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Unfortunately, there was no version specific to the DME's used in the R56 so i e-mailed the developer. It was readily apparent that the he was very interested in developing and supporting our platform so I have invited him to join the board and this thread. The intent of this thread is to have an open forum to discuss ideas, features and/or capabilities we would like to see in the program. We each have reasons for logging data whether it be recording performance during autocross, evaluation of custom tuning or simply seeing how our most recent mod has affected performance, so all ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Happy Motoring,

Old 07-16-2014 | 02:05 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Great find, you always go above and beyond to to keeps us in the loop.

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 07-16-2014 | 02:13 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
This would be great. I too am frustrated with currently available logging capabilities. I would purchase a full license the day it's released.

I noticed that they are selling the K+DCAN cables. Maybe we should cross post this tidbit on the NCSExpert threads. People there have been have a helluva time getting functional cables.

Old 07-16-2014 | 02:24 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
Off the top of my head my personal wish list looks like this:

Boost (MAP-BARO)
MAF
IQ or injector timing
Spark Advance
ECT
Vanos intake and exhaust
IAT
EGT
LAMBDA

I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something but I just got out of work and my brain is exhausted.

Old 07-16-2014 | 02:45 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Is there a knock counter?

Old 07-16-2014 | 05:02 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
Doh! I knew I was forgetting something REALLY important. It was on the list I sent to him previously and yes there is. I'm stoked about finally being able to read that. In other good news I'm told its getting close to being ready to test. There's a lot more info the system can log and I'm sure things I've forgotten to mention. If anyone has any additional specific requests like voltage, fuel rail pressure etc let me know.

Old 07-16-2014 | 05:44 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
Oh also forgot to mention it runs on the PC and Mac. Ex PC user but now a Mac nut and when I have to step back to the dark side and us the PC for some reason well... I feel so dirty

Old 07-16-2014 | 07:37 PM
smooth1
Neutral
Hi guys!

Tigger2011 has invited me in and I'm here as a regular guy to answer questions.

About me... I've been developing applications for the automotive industry for 14 years. I'm a driver at heart and a big BMW enthusiast. I'll be here as long as I can to answer any questions you may have about the topic. Vendors and admins usually have a problem with that, even though I don't advertise and never will.

Old 07-16-2014 | 07:58 PM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
If you could include a easy to use NCSExpert program for coding you'd be on a winner or is that impossible because of copy right. I've read many people having issues coding their cars.

I think I maybe completely off topic aren't I.

Old 07-16-2014 | 08:02 PM
smooth1
Neutral
Coding is not hard... an easier program to do so is not hard either... It comes to down to time.

Old 07-16-2014 | 09:44 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by MarioKart
Great find, you always go above and beyond to to keeps us in the loop.
I'm just special that way But seriously, now that Manic is able to reprogram the DME through the ODB port its just a matter of time before more tuning options become available. More options means more tuners and tools like this will benefit the tuner as well as the end users. A prime example of which is the potential hidden in the N18 Dual Vanos system. On the 6 cylinder BMW's a properly setup vanos map can adjust the valve timing to optimize pressure harmonics based on flow rates resulting in an additional 20-30HP and 30-40 Ft.lbs of torque. So while it may appear that my motives are altruistic in nature, the truth is... I just want to go faster lol.

Originally Posted by cerenkov
I noticed that they are selling the K+DCAN cables. Maybe we should cross post this tidbit on the NCSExpert threads. People there have been have a helluva time getting functional cables.
Didn't even realize it was a problem. That's what I get for not paying more attention. Cross posted a link so hopefully that helps.

Old 07-16-2014 | 11:49 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
In for future developments

Old 07-17-2014 | 05:07 AM
Manny_cooper
4th Gear
Should the R53/R50 guys join in? I think this would benefit all the Mini platforms. Then again, I don't want to crash anybodies party.

Old 07-17-2014 | 06:37 AM
smooth1
Neutral
Originally Posted by Manny_cooper
Should the R53/R50 guys join in? I think this would benefit all the Mini platforms. Then again, I don't want to crash anybodies party.
I can definitely look into those platforms.

Old 07-17-2014 | 05:51 PM
ridinDirty
4th Gear
Well I should have known after I pull the trigger on scanXL and Dash something better comes along. I just got my software code from them two days ago. I'm out of town so have not had a chance to try it
What would be nice is to be able to turn off the low tire pressure light for when the race tires are on, not sure if that is an option in this department. I think all the above points would be a great help and with 10 points a second I can't wait to see graphs.
Not sure if it's an option but maybe even offering a few analog inputs from non mini sensors. For instance if I wanted to add a temp sensor before and after the cooler and get a DP. Or a true boost gauge instead of using calculations.
Just asking .... Nicely

Look forward to hearing more about all this

Old 07-18-2014 | 03:33 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tigger2011

Unfortunately, there was no version specific to the DME's used in the R56 so i e-mailed the developer. It was readily apparent that the he was very interested in developing and supporting our platform so I have invited him to join the board and this thread.
As far as I understand the DME in the N18 R56 is extremely similar in most respects to the N55 engine, FWIW.

Sounds very promising, great find and potential resource

Old 07-18-2014 | 03:36 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Doh! I knew I was forgetting something REALLY important. It was on the list I sent to him previously and yes there is. I'm stoked about finally being able to read that. In other good news I'm told its getting close to being ready to test. There's a lot more info the system can log and I'm sure things I've forgotten to mention. If anyone has any additional specific requests like voltage, fuel rail pressure etc let me know.
fuel trims

Old 07-18-2014 | 01:05 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
Originally Posted by robbo mcs
As far as I understand the DME in the N18 R56 is extremely similar in most respects to the N55 engine, FWIW.
Yes very similar. In fact I use the attached file for troubleshooting as the error codes are identical as long as you ignore anything related to cylinders 5 and 6

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
scotty_r56s (04-02-2021)
Old 07-19-2014 | 02:48 AM
robbo mcs
4th Gear
Yes very similar. In fact I use the attached file for troubleshooting as the error codes are identical as long as you ignore anything related to cylinders 5 and 6
Yes, I use that as well. That PDF is actually very helpful, because it gives you possible causes and suggested actions.

Old 07-19-2014 | 05:06 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Originally Posted by robbo mcs

Yes, I use that as well. That PDF is actually very helpful, because it gives you possible causes and suggested actions.
Which attached file?

Old 07-19-2014 | 05:36 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
The attachment won't show up if viewing from the iPhone app. Try viewing the thread in a regular browser and you should see it.

Old 07-19-2014 | 05:37 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
The attachment won't show up if viewing from the iPhone app. Try viewing the thread in a regular browser and you should see it.
Will do

Old 07-22-2014 | 12:35 PM
Tigger2011
|
Alliance Member
Update

Well things are still a ways off but testing has been going well. Unfortunately, due to a personal issue I will not be able to devote the attention to this project that it deserves for a while. Luckily for everyone else cerenkov has graciously agreed to pick up the gauntlet. So please direct comments or suggestions to him going forward.

Old 03-16-2015 | 11:22 PM
Fuel-it!
Banned
Sorry to bring up an old topic but anybody know where we're at on this?

We'd like to move forward with our build, but before doing so we want to make sure we have a good logging solution.

We're kind of spoiled on the BMW's as both of those cars (N54 and N55) have Cobb AP's.

There was some mention of INPA and NCSexpert. We have cables and software for BMW and I see Mini is an option in that software. Have yet to try it though. Suspect we may need to download different daten files? Anybody know?

If this isn't an option yet, what is the best option thus far for logging with ample sampling rates and decent software. If nothing else we can work with .CSV files and upload them to Datazap for review.

We'd like to see..

Timing Advance
Timing corrections (all cylinders)
Trims (long and short term)
Rail (HPFP) pressures
AFRs
Boost (act. & req.)
MAF
IAT's
RPM
TPS
Pedal
WGDC
Load (act. & req.)
IDC

Just to name a few...

Somebody mention EGT's...these cars have an EGT probe?

Thanks

Old 03-17-2015 | 03:01 AM
cerenkov
6th Gear
There is a program called ScanXL which is a windows based platform. The company does have a companion app for the iPhone called Dashcommand.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...og-graphs.html

Then there is Torque or the Android platform. Sorry I don't have a link.

Daten files can be found here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r60-guide.html

The solutions that I linked to do have limitations, such as timing can only be read for #1 cylinder. EGT can be read off pre-cat O2 sensor.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain New logging software - BMWLogger