Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 12:16 PM
Kupona
3rd Gear
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
I have been messaging and calling this guy for the better part of a year now since first contact and Mario has maintained a level of professionalism and kindness that I have yet to find elsewhere in any sort of community. He is always responsive and honestly isn't afraid to express his very well informed opinions. I admit I am a SUPER annoying customer, the type that asks a million questions and then some (im sure even he groans when we have our bushing discussions) and he has helped every step of the way. Planning on stage 3 tune in October with him and super excited. He even has the inside info on unreleased RPM stuff. Guys do yourself a favor and have this man tune your car, it will be in excellent hands

Old 09-24-2019, 01:07 PM
sub3622
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KD96
Mario was very helpful and took his time with my mini, you can tell off the bat that he knows exactly what he is doing. Around 230WHP/210FTLBs runs at best potential with 3 gallons of e85 mixed with the rest of the tank being 91, I have an oil catch can system, upgraded intercooler, new turbo (oem replacement), M7 speed air intake system, I also deleted noise maker/intercooler piping with muffler with straight silicone piping but honestly I recommend solid piping I will have to replace my silicone hoses with hard piping its more efficient because silicone hoses collapse it sounds like its sucking from a straw under power. Thats pretty much all the upgrades I have my engine is in great condition as well I know the n14 are more delicate than n18 and up. Thanks Mario! Hopefully big turbo next.

Where did you get those numbers? Did you take it to the dyno?

Old 10-18-2019, 05:01 PM
Joseph Davis
Neutral
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Best in the us

I just drove cross-country about 5000 miles to get my R 58 tune by Mario stage2 all required mod except intercooler and honestly I am blown away I also have flames and he upgraded my lower motor mount...Put aside all of the tuning work the guy was super awesome rode me around in the Audi bought me lunch and I pretty much met the family.... look just stop reading this go throw him some money he’ll make **** happen.

The following 3 users liked this post by Joseph Davis:
Andy_S (10-19-2019), NBCGLX (10-21-2019), Zevi2000 (02-23-2020)
Old 10-21-2019, 05:39 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Wanted to chime in and share my experience with Mario and my 2019 F57 Justa. To get to the point, I couldn't be happier that I trusted Mario, and the outcome is better than anticipated. I apologize for the long response, but since there are so few options out there for the 1.5T MINI, I wanted all who might be interested to know just how happy I am with Mario's work...and to encourage anyone seeking power gains for their B36/B38 to stop thinking and message Mario!

I've owned a number of VW's and Audi's in the past, so ECU tuning is not a new concept to me. For me, owning a turbocharged car means a defacto aftermarket ECU tune. When I started searching for tunes for my car, however, I quickly discovered that options were limited for the 3-cylinder B36. I guess not many people modify the 3rd-gen Justa?? To them I say, you're missing out!! For a full year I pestered Mario with questions about the tune, HP/Tq increases, and other things. Each time he was patient, kind, and thorough in his response. Honestly, if he would've dismissed me at some point I wouldn't have blamed him!

I finally bit the bullet earlier this month and shipped the ECU to Mario (2019/2020 MINI's can't be tuned via the OBDII port, apparently) for an RPM Stage 1 tune. Mario tuned and shipped the ECU back to me the same day he received it (a Saturday), and I had it in my hands on Monday (which was actually a Federal holiday, so very pleasantly unexpected). Promptly put it back in the car, made sure everything was connected properly, and hit the starter toggle. No lights, no codes, so off for a test drive we went. Keep in mind that, as I said, ECU tuning for a turbocharged car is not something new to me. I fully expected to feel a very noticeable difference. I was rewarded, however, with not just an obvious bump in HP/Tq, but a tune that is very smooth and more linear than I would've expected from what is ultimately a relatively small displacement engine.

Throttle response is improved at all speeds, which is nice. For those not familiar, the 3rd-gen Justa with the 6-speed manual has rather tall gearing. I'm sure it has something to do with increasing fuel economy, and the relatively shallow but flat torque curve of the B36 is matched well to the factory gearing for a fun if not particularly fast car. So though the car is far from slow in stock form, the tall gearing can make it feel slower than it is because the engine doesn't rev quite as fast as you might expect it to (and how it would if it had the shorter gearing of, say, the Cooper S or JCW). Well, that sensation is completely gone now. It pulls so strong and fast in 1st and 2nd gears, that a mental recalibration is definitely needed or one will quickly find oneself hitting the rev limiter and possibly traveling at "illegal" speeds. I also have (non-OE) sticky summer tires on the car and prior to the tune I was literally never able to get the front wheels to spin from a stop unless I slipped the clutch like crazy. Great for traction and handling, but maybe not quite as fun. Well, that issue is gone and even a smooth, clutch-friendly launch with full throttle will activate the traction control light.

Spent a long day of driving with my local MINI club (shoutout to PhillyMINI!) this past Saturday and I'm even more impressed. This car is fast now! So much midrange power, and all while still pulling very smoothly to redline with much less drop-off in power as redline approaches. The added HP/Tq is noticeable in just about every situation. I found it particularly fun on the highway because the change is so noticeable there. Massage the accelerator just a bit and you'll easily pass a slower car while in 6th gear. The engine pulled fine in 6th gear at highway speeds prior to the tune, but now it practically eliminates the need for a downshift for passing. I very quickly found myself picking up 10-15 MPH or more with just a bit of throttle, whereas as prior to the tune I would've been waiting much longer for that or downshifting.

Anyway, I could wax endlessly about how wonderful Mario and his work are. If you're at all on the fence, or maybe not even considering this yet, JUST DO IT!! And if you have a 3-cylinder MINI, stop thinking and pull that ECU now. MINI leaves so much on the table with that engine, and it's yours for the taking thanks to Mario.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:48 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Echoing what everyone else has said already...in short, Mario knows his product, has the process down flat, and the results are way better than I had expected for a Stage 1 tune. I was mildly worried I wouldn't be able to feel much of a difference but I could tell right away that the car was a different beast. Put my foot down around 2.5k and the thing just pulls and pulls. I haven't even floored it yet because I'm happy with the power at 75% throttle. I had been floundering about the idea for the last year or more, randomly texting Mario and he never pressured me, just gave me the facts and what I needed to know to make a decision. Finally I decided it was time to pull the trigger and it is 100% worth it.

The following users liked this post:
mountainhorse (10-22-2019)
Old 10-26-2019, 09:52 PM
Giantsfan107
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, how much did this cost?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:35 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantsfan107
I’m not sure if he charges a standard rate, if it depends on model/options, etc. Probably best to contact Mario directly (might be easiest to message him on Facebook, just search for Mario Palza).

Old 10-27-2019, 11:31 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantsfan107
Good morning,
you can email me at MarioPalza@gmail.com

Tuning starts at $649

Mario
mQubed Motorsport RPM Power Tuning

Old 11-17-2019, 10:47 AM
Anthony Hydock
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review

This was my first experience dealing with a tuner. I cannot say enough with how grateful Mario has been throughout the whole process! I had issues (not from the tune) with the car and had to get a new ECU and I kept Mario in the loop the whole time and he was very understanding of the whole thing and was able to help me out! Mario is literally amazing and makes the whole process very quick and simple! I send out my ECU on a Tuesday and had it back and install on Friday and no CEL! Also made it very simple with being able to provide spark plugs that are already pre-gapped, and he sends some candy for you while you install the spark plugs! I highly recommend Mario for anyone who is looking to get their Mini Cooper tuned. Great pricing and highly satisfied!

I drive a 2011 Mini Cooper S N18
Modifications:
Intake
Catless downpipe
2.5” catback exhaust

Old 11-20-2019, 09:43 AM
T.Fuller
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Countryman S All4 Manual

Just got my ECU back from Mario,
Can't speak highly enough about Mario and the quality of his work.
He was always helpful when talking to him long before I had even commited to having my tune done through him.

Turn around was incredible, I shipped from Canada on a Thursday, ECU was back at my door the following Monday.

Look forward to dealing with Mario in the future, highly recommend him!!

PEneoark (11-20-2019)
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM
minideucecoop
1st Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The power and torque of this tune!

My first phone call to Mario was five months ago, but I didn't have a downpipe yet, and then life stuff happened. I contacted him again about two weeks ago. I've been running Mario's Stage 2 for a whole week now. Local daily driving, and one 83 mile Mini meetup last Saturday. I'm thoroughly impressed the more I drive. For context; 2015 Mini Cooper S, Automatic, with K&N intake, Milltek catless DP, and Invidia catback exhaust. I've been using an NM Power module for about a year and a half. I see how it's fun, but it doesn't do the car justice like the tune does. I also run the Bimmercode app. I got the Powergate from Mario.
What's different? I'll try and run down the list, but explain more of how it feels, in case anyone is on the fence. With the Bimmercode app you can set your Mini to start in Sport mode, so I'll start there. When I start my Mini with Mario's tune in Sport mode... It growls. It's a new car. Just sitting there, not moving, it feels like it's ready to pounce. It's not even warmed up. If I set the car to normal mode, it's less aggressive, but now runs at a smoother idle than stock. I promise. The gas pedal feels like it has less lag. It feels faster, more responsive. Vrooom Vrooooooom Vrooooom. When you take off, each gear adds boost so the power just keeps climbing. The power is there. The wheel torque is there. All of it. Why wasn't it there before? It's there now. Goodness.
You've hit 70 and you're just using the steptronic to shift to 5th gear. That's conservative shifting. How about just regular driving? You're going 55-65. Switch it back to Sport mode and the car jumps forward down the highway. Not a crazy can't control kind of jump. More like a holy wow, hang on, we're moving. I need to get from this lane to that lane. Bam, I'm there.
I'm de-cat, so when I downshift, it's pop pop bang bang, fire shoots out the tailpipe about twelve inches. I now use it as tailgater repellant, and it works. Two days after I uploaded the tune, while I was out on a run with a group of Minis, Mario calls. He hadn't heard back from me, and wanted to make sure everything was running smoothly. We just chatted on the phone the last 30 minutes of the Mini run, and he shared more of his knowledge with me. He's that chill. He loves what he does, and he just happens to be really good at it! Thank you Mario!

V/r
Elliot

Removing NM module to install Mario's Stage 2 tune.

Last edited by minideucecoop; 08-05-2020 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Added Pic
Andy_S (11-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2020, 07:10 PM
Zeppie
2nd Gear
Hi Everyone! I have enjoyed reading this very long, fun, but informative thread regarding Mario and his tunes. I first found out about Mario from NM Engineering as a referral because they were no longer doing ECU tunes. Devastated, I asked them where I could go for a good, safe, and reliable ECU tune. It was then when I was given his number. I gave him a call later that day and left him a message. With in minutes he called me back. Right away I noticed that he was different from other tuners. He took the time to listen to what I had to say. Whether it was my concerns about ECU tuning, what I was looking for in a tune, how long he had been tuning, and of course who and what he was about. He was in no rush to push me into a sale, which I appreciated. He sent me a link to this thread and we kept in contact. The whole time answering any and all questions that I had regarding his tune and how it may effect my JCW. Two weeks later I pulled the trigger and went with his Stage 1 Tune with the "Sport Button Hot Tune". I also asked if he could make it so that I had pops and burbles both in and out of Sport Mode. Lets just say when it's not in Sport Mode it has a nice mellow pop and burble. But when it is in Sport Mode, the stock JCW exhaust sounds like it is dialed up to 11 when you hear those angery Pops and Burbles!!! The other Awesome part is the "Hot Tune" activated by the Sport Button. When that is pressed the MINI transforms into JCW it was meant to be from Day 1! The way it pulls feels like it was tuned that way from the factory, and for me, that's a big deal! Mario knows what he is doing. He puts his heart and soul into his work! As many before me have stated. If you are on the fence, Do it! You will not regret! The only regret I have right now is that it is winter in Wisconsin and I want to tare up some twisty roads free of snow and salt. Come on Spring!!! Thank you again Mario, you're awesome! Who knows, maybe after this summer I might need to upgrade to stage 2 lol.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:02 AM
robert martin
Neutral
Rpm stage 2

So recently installed the catless downpipe mario sold me on my 2013 r56s. The install was a perfect fit after mastering the heat shield. The quality of the build was flawless as well. With having a straight pipe system to a magnaflow muffler using the stock piping, the sound was clean and deep. But something was missing. A proper tune! I was running the NM power module and was pleased with it but i i needed more. I use to have tuned VW GTI's and wanted that same smooth power feel. Called Mario a week after installing the down pipe, and set up an appointment to get the RPM stage 2 tune. I drove an hour and a half to meet up because im inpatient. I had a smile the entire drive home.

So everything that is out there is true about Mario. Very knowledgeable, professional, and a man of his word which is hard to find these days. I ended up getting the sport button option and glad i did. There is still more power then stock when sport is off. When sport is on, whole new car. The power band is smooth and power is there all the way to redline. No hesitation in any gear. I didnt want crazy pops or to shoot flames but mario can do any of that for you if thats your style. I do get more pops though. All i need now is a better intercooler before the summer. I highly recommend to all that want their mini to drive the way it should come from the factory to get ahold of Mario Palza. Get a tune, you will not regret it. Thanks again Mario

Old 01-29-2020, 08:38 PM
Ginger Hulk
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't question Mario

Well, my story is much like all the rest...I had to install a new turbo due to the old one dying. 2012 CMS auto 77000k miles. I put a NM CAI on when I bought it, and when I replaced the turbo I put a upgraded IC, plugs, coils, and high flow DP.

Then my problems started. As soon as it would start making boost and the speed would pass 55ish...Limp mode would strike like lightning. I thought it was all the new stuff not being in "sync"...so read a ton of forums and FB posts and decided to give this guy "Mario" a call...

From the start, great personality, willingness to help, even if I didnt buy or do any business with him! Let the record stand that the first question he asked was "did you check all the pipes and make sure everything was snug"...o would that come back to haunt me. I told him I thought everything was tight. He offered a couple other things...and I told him I would get back to him when ready for a tune. After getting off the phone with him and working with a few other entities, long story short, I dropped $2100 on other things during the course of 3 weeks trying to fix this problem...only to remembering the end when I was ready to pull my hair out, Mario said to check the pipes. Got under the car and pulled and tugged every last one...and then found the cuplrit as one of the hose clamps had come off from the new intercooler. Cranked it up, went for a drive...AMAZING.

Now I am in the process of working with him on getting my stage 2 tune....

So, listen to Mario...he might just save you $2100...

Andy_S (01-30-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 06:58 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Popping a note in here to say exactly how happy I am with Mario... excellent service, killer Stage 3 tune.

Just finished getting the new RPM valve cover on as well... I'm very satisfied with him!

The following 3 users liked this post by keithmcgreggor:
AWD_Rally (02-23-2020), Davers (02-23-2020), Jason S (08-10-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 12:03 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
Keith, really clean setup. Nice, neat and well organized, I'm impressed. I'd like to see a recent dyno chart if you have one. Got a build thread? Should be in the 300WHP range.

Old 02-23-2020, 12:27 PM
keithmcgreggor
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Haven't been to the dyno since swapping to RPM Stage 3 with Mario.
Thinking about what to do next ... advice welcome!

Davers (03-08-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 12:44 PM
Davers
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just waiting on my turbo delivery from Mario, just upgrading from Manic 2 remap which has been good for the last two years to RPM stage 3. Fingers cross it will be back on the road next weekend.

Old 02-23-2020, 02:00 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Originally Posted by keithmcgreggor
Haven't been to the dyno since swapping to RPM Stage 3 with Mario.
Thinking about what to do next ... advice welcome!
RPM Canada has been displaying pics of all kinds of "goodies" for at least a year. When I asked about them, I was told they're "prototype". Some variation of these "goodies" are what you need next for serious power gains --- BIG turbo and tubular (or at least a better flowing) ex manifold. Gotta get away from the vacuum controlled WG and move some serious air. JMTC hybrids won't cut it. Unfortunately, this is a pretty expensive step and very few sources for all the misc stuff to make it work. In the meantime, consider WMI for both power and valve cleaning. It's good for all power levels. I've seen posts from experienced builders saying our OEM fuel system can't cut much over 300 - 350WHP. They're probably correct, however, with my multi-port WMI setup, data logs show no shortage of fuel and reasonable AFR / timing, good enough for an attempt at the 500+ WHP range, with OEM pumps and injectors. These logs were taken during a 460+ WHP dyno pull --- chart is on my build thread --- "Mini's in General / Mini/MINI Builds / Update to OBW's Build".

Mario / Lorenzo --- when will these "goodies" be available? Ex manifold, turbo, external WG, remote oil filter, DV / BOV, boost controller, interconnecting hoses, and possibly more? And is (or will there be) a tune available for them?

Old 02-23-2020, 02:30 PM
Zevi2000
1st Gear
Well, I'm a bit late. Here's my review of Mario Palza's RPM Stage 2 tune he did on my 2014 Countryman All4. 5 months later and the extra power still doesn't get old. I personally think stage 2 on a countryman is the sweet spot. It's way more rev happy, it makes driving with my FX300 much easier. Before the clutch was just choking the engine, now I can launch and takeoff like a normal person. In the rain I can powerslide around corners in both 1st and 2nd gear! Even in the dry I can slide it around a decent amount! When doing 0-60's and acceleration tests I was shocked how fast I was going through gears! Before 1st gear felt way too tall and it took forever until needing to shift. Now I blink and I'm already pegging the rev limiter. 1st-3rd gear are amazingly quick! When getting on the freeway or passing a car you don't have to floor it anymore. You can actually modulate the throttle now! I had Mario throw BBQ mode on my car. It's pretty obnoxious and fun, but sometimes it's just too much for me and the people around me. I've scared myself numerous times hitting the sport button by accident and hearing a loudass bang and then realizing that's me! I 100% recommend Mario Palza to tune your car!

Attached Thumbnails Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-screenshot_20200205-234614_instagram.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-screenshot_20200119-223804_instagram.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-screenshot_20200102-113458_instagram.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_9460.jpg   Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_0722.png  

Offical MarioKart Review Thread.-img_0719.png  
Old 02-23-2020, 03:15 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
RPM Canada has been displaying pics of all kinds of "goodies" for at least a year. When I asked about them, I was told they're "prototype". Some variation of these "goodies" are what you need next for serious power gains --- BIG turbo and tubular (or at least a better flowing) ex manifold. Gotta get away from the vacuum controlled WG and move some serious air. JMTC hybrids won't cut it. Unfortunately, this is a pretty expensive step and very few sources for all the misc stuff to make it work. In the meantime, consider WMI for both power and valve cleaning. It's good for all power levels. I've seen posts from experienced builders saying our OEM fuel system can't cut much over 300 - 350WHP. They're probably correct, however, with my multi-port WMI setup, data logs show no shortage of fuel and reasonable AFR / timing, good enough for an attempt at the 500+ WHP range, with OEM pumps and injectors. These logs were taken during a 460+ WHP dyno pull --- chart is on my build thread --- "Mini's in General / Mini/MINI Builds / Update to OBW's Build".

Mario / Lorenzo --- when will these "goodies" be available? Ex manifold, turbo, external WG, remote oil filter, DV / BOV, boost controller, interconnecting hoses, and possibly more? And is (or will there be) a tune available for them?
The kit and tuning have been available for 16 months.
Mario
mQubed Motorsport

AWD_Rally (02-26-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 06:04 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
How / where can we get info on parts included --- some of the aftermarket parts shown in the bottom pic aren't shown in the middle pic, i.e., downpipe, ICI pipe, BOV (or WG)? Are parts available separately, or smaller packages? Can the remote oil filter assembly be installed without drilling the block? Is the tune still considered "Stage 3"?

Lotsa questions.

Old 02-26-2020, 04:05 PM
TurboTom_JCW13
Neutral
Mario is AWESOME!

So I’ve been working with Mario for a couple years now. I had an 09 MCS and purchased his beautiful downpipe. Then a few months later I met him in person at a PhillyMINI event and he tuned my car with RPM stage 2. Now I have a 13 MCJCW. I sent him my ecu overnight on Monday. He tuned it and sent it right back overnight. I received it back today around noon. In the package was my ECU, new spark plugs, stickers, and some candy. Installed it right away and wow! It feels like the tune woke up a sleeping dragon! Mario’s customer service is unparalleled. He is always ready to help steer you in the right direction.

Old 03-05-2020, 11:58 AM
Mini G1
1st Gear
MarioKart Stage 2 RPM Tune

So I just got my Stage 2 RPM Tune from MarioKart uploaded onto my 2010 R56 with the PowerGate. A little background I have an upgraded inter-cooler, upgraded intake upgraded piping, inter-cooler muffler delete, noise maker delete,one step colder plugs and the ceramic coated down pipe from Mario. I got the Stage 2 tune with the overboost option. All I can say is WOW! The power comes on so smooth, you can drive it like a responsible adult or you can get on it and it goes stupid fast. Mario is one of the nicest down to earth people you will ever meet and truly is the GOAT when it comes to all things Mini. I had originally planned on going with a cheap ebay down pipe, but after talking with Mario I decided I would go with his and I was not disappointed. Not only was it a perfect fit, but I was able to eliminate the bottom heat shield as there is very little heat radiating off the pipe even after spirited runs. Also it didn't throw a code after I drove it before I uploaded the tune. Mario's customer service is amazing, I live in Florida and even with the time difference he responded to any questions I had very quickly. I highly recommend going through Mario for anything you need, as I will for any of my future upgrades! Thank you again!!!!

ryd003 (05-21-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 05:32 PM
mountainhorse
6th Gear
Received 316 Likes on 231 Posts
So... How many have done the ARP Rod bolts with their R56-N18 Mario Stage-2 tune??

AWD_Rally (03-06-2020)

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Offical MarioKart Review Thread.