Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Mishimoto or Samco coolant hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014 | 09:32 PM
sleek55044
|
2nd Gear
Mishimoto or Samco coolant hoses?

Hello everyone!

I am going to be doing a complete cooling system overhaul very soon, Just gathering parts at the moment. I will be installing a new water pump, Mishimoto radiator and the coolant hoses have certainly seen better days.

I currently have a set of Mishimoto coolant hoses on a built ford 6.0 diesel truck and they are quite hefty and nice!

Just seeing if anyone has had any first hand experience with them. I've heard some very conflicting things about aftermarket hoses not being as durable as OEM rubber.

Samco

Mishimoto

Old 12-12-2014 | 08:03 AM
johnp2
Neutral
I have nothing but good things to say about my Mishimoto hoses. They were quite a bit thicker than the factory hoses, and seem to be far more rigid. To me, this implies that they will last a bit longer and should be fairly stronger. I have had them installed for around 12 months at this point, no complaints.

Old 12-13-2014 | 01:19 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
I'm not familiar with either, but I can offer some sage advice on aftermarket hoses:

If your new hoses are silicone rubber you should NOT use OEM coolant. The organic acid corrosion inhibitors that BMW/MINI uses in their coolant will degrade the rubber and cause a hose to burst over time. Unfortunately, there's probably some aftermarket coolants that contain similar additives and will cause the same issue. Since you can never be entirely sure what's in them, I would recommend steering clear of silicon coolant hoses entirely. More trouble than it's worth IMHO. This isn't to say some people haven't used them with good results, but it's a gamble.

If your new hoses are EPDM rubber (like the OEM) then feel free to use any coolant you want.

Old 12-14-2014 | 05:50 PM
sleek55044
|
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mrbean
I'm not familiar with either, but I can offer some sage advice on aftermarket hoses:

If your new hoses are silicone rubber you should NOT use OEM coolant. The organic acid corrosion inhibitors that BMW/MINI uses in their coolant will degrade the rubber and cause a hose to burst over time. Unfortunately, there's probably some aftermarket coolants that contain similar additives and will cause the same issue. Since you can never be entirely sure what's in them, I would recommend steering clear of silicon coolant hoses entirely. More trouble than it's worth IMHO. This isn't to say some people haven't used them with good results, but it's a gamble.

If your new hoses are EPDM rubber (like the OEM) then feel free to use any coolant you want.
Thanks for the info! Have any idea of a "safe" coolant for both the car and the hoses? I am doing a new waterpump along with a new radiator.

Old 12-14-2014 | 07:40 PM
WayMotorWorks
Former Vendor
I've used both and I can say by far the Samco hoses are much better. I know they do pressure testing and the fit much better. We sell mishimoto products but I don't have the hoses listed due to them not fitting well last time we tried them.

Old 12-16-2014 | 02:42 PM
mrbean
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sleek55044
Thanks for the info! Have any idea of a "safe" coolant for both the car and the hoses? I am doing a new waterpump along with a new radiator.
Every coolant out there has a proprietary formulation. It's impossible to know for sure without some esoteric (and expensive) chemical testing.

IMHO, your best bet is to go OEM on both the hoses and coolant. Think about how long the factory hoses lasted; do you think you'll ever need to replace them again for as long as you own the car?
Think of what could go wrong otherwise. How much time and money are you going to be spending?