Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R56) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Vacuum Pump Delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 08:07 AM
IDLife Mini
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vacuum Pump Delete

I wanted to reach out to the community to see how many people have had an issue with or found an alternative to their Vacuum Pump. I begin my journey here thinking I had the "Death Rattle" but quickly learned upon disassembly that my Vacuum Pump was failing, thus pumping oil into the vacuum reservoir and anywhere else connected. The vacuum hose had become oil saturated and thus came loose giving me drips of oil on the shop floor as an indication other than the noise it was making.

So being that I am in the beginning of this quest to remove this pump, I am thinking my alternative is to use an expansion plug in the head to not only block the port but also close out the oil port. If this doesn't work, then I will machine a close-out plate to work. I will also make a vacuum tank from PVC pipe with a 1/4" barb fitting in the top for the brakes and another fitting to go to the wastegate vacuum reservoir in the stock location. Using a GM Check valve inline to the main reservoir should keep the pump from working too hard. The Dorman 904-214 pump is what is used on my F-350 Dually and has been in service for over a year with no issues. This pump has an internal switch, so wiring is easy.

Any thoughts on this mod? I just cannot worry about a catastrophic engine failure with the amount of road miles I travel each month. Having a system like this I see as a benefit by having replacement parts easy to get and for a fraction of buying a replacement OEM part.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Vacuum Pump Delete-vac-pump-3.jpg  
Old 06-08-2015, 09:42 AM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this is pretty old but I too don't like worrying about catastrophic engine failure. I just had to rebuild my head due to a burnt exhaust valve and would like to avoid having to redo the entire engine because of a failed pump! Did you make this system and if so, did it work?

Old 06-08-2015, 10:16 AM
IDLife Mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by howieschoon
I know this is pretty old but I too don't like worrying about catastrophic engine failure. I just had to rebuild my head due to a burnt exhaust valve and would like to avoid having to redo the entire engine because of a failed pump! Did you make this system and if so, did it work?
Yes it worked and I have since removed the aux vacuum pump as it is not needed.

You can call me if you need more answers. Maybe there is a machine shop willing to make the pump delete part. I do not have the time to make another one as I am traveling too much these days.

David
713-817-7571

Old 11-07-2016, 06:55 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Reviving the thread again..lol...can one of you guys post pictures and a parts list. also I am thinking instead of wasting time and money at the shop. you can gut out the vacuum pump and keep it in place

Old 11-08-2016, 06:16 AM
IDLife Mini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MiniToBe
Reviving the thread again..lol...can one of you guys post pictures and a parts list. also I am thinking instead of wasting time and money at the shop. you can gut out the vacuum pump and keep it in place
My apologies for not keeping up with this thread. It has been a year and since, I have found the aux vacuum pump is simply unnecessary. I am sure if you were autocrossing or driving on the track it might be necessary to keep enough vacuum but in my very "spirited" driving on Deal's Gap it was not needed.

Here is a video I made upon completion which shows the system I made.

You Tube
"> You Tube
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Old 11-09-2016, 07:35 AM
smokeysevin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. I ended up replacing the pump this weekend since I was getting a really unnerving squeal on cold starts. I eliminated the water pump, drive wheel, and belt tensioner which left the vacuum pump. The squeal has gone away so I am happy but it wasnt cheap.

Sean

Old 11-09-2016, 07:39 AM
MiniToBe
6th Gear
Received 432 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeysevin
Interesting. I ended up replacing the pump this weekend since I was getting a really unnerving squeal on cold starts. I eliminated the water pump, drive wheel, and belt tensioner which left the vacuum pump. The squeal has gone away so I am happy but it wasnt cheap.

Sean
can you share photos and parts list please?